Ice Cream and Pie!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ice Cream and Pie!

Chatters, my Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream came out just wonderful. I am sure it will be the second most wanted flavor in our household. My Peppermint Ice Cream, I make for Christmas only - will still be the most cherished. I know for sure.

mm, I remember the pain you must have had, cranking the old ice cream maker for hours. This is not the way I do it. I have an electric Cuisinart ice cream maker given to me by my sons several years ago (any hints here?) It takes only 20 - 30 minutes to "crank" the ice cream. Then in the freezer for a couple of hours, and you will have any ice cream of the flavor you like. When the boys were still at home, I used it all the time. Just a lot of goodness - no chemicals, no preservatives. Now I use it for just special occasions.

The Irish Indian's pie - was a hit too. I did cut down the sugar in half though - and it was fine. I also added 3/4 teaspoon of ground ginger - just to wake up the taste buds a bit. I used 7 medium apples - just so you know. It was moist and very flavorful. Served it with Cool Whip. Thank you Irish Indian!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: Ice Cream and Pie!

Hi pingo -

Boy, you must have been busy making these desserts. I know there are more modern ice-cream makers but I never bought one.  Home made ice-cream is a treat for sure.  When I made it last, we made peach and my grandmother and I took turns cranking.  Finding Irish Indian's recipe is a nice Thanksgiving tribute to her.  I believe she has since passed.  

Are you having other company for T-giving dinner besides your sons?  I bet you are already preparing.  

mothermitzi  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmmmmmm!!!  My mouth is watering!  Thanks for trying out the pie, pingo. :)

Speaking of pie, DH asked me to make a pumpkin pie out of our "regular" large pumpkin.  I cooked and pureed it so it's ready to go.  Tomorrow, it will be pie.  Do you think it can come out good even though it's not made with a pie/sugar pumpkin?

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I never made pies or anything out of a regular pumpkin. I always thought they were just for carving. For food stuff, I have always used the sugar pumpkins. That is what my recipes call for. But who knows what is in the canned stuff anyway.
    Let' s hear the result - and don't forget the tart. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo and kar -

Bless you for using pumpkins out of the patch.  It's always been One-Pie for me. After reading pingo's post, I wondered what exactly is contained in the canned.  I was surprised to find zero fat of any kind, no sodium and only 4 grams of sugar per serving.   Each serving contains 16% daily dietary fiber and a staggering 280% Vitamin A. I was quite surprised.  I figured it would be full of junk! 

mothermitzi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, mm, canned pumpkin is just pumpkin.  Perfectly good.  In fact, I'm only doing this for DH.  He thinks it will be better simply because it's not out of a can, and I don't have the heart to tell him otherwise and not do it.  The fact is, the regular pumpkin tends to be less naturally sweet and more stringy.  But, I whipped the heck out of it and am hoping for the best.  He's too cute to deny. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In Response to Re: Ice Cream and Pie!:
    Mmmmmmm!!!  My mouth is watering!  Thanks for trying out the pie, pingo. :) Speaking of pie, DH asked me to make a pumpkin pie out of our "regular" large pumpkin.  I cooked and pureed it so it's ready to go.  Tomorrow, it will be pie.  Do you think it can come out good even though it's not made with a pie/sugar pumpkin? ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

Hey, Kar, our New England Ancestors who invented pumpkin pie didn't have 'sugar' or 'pumpkin pie' pumpkins.  They used generic 'pompions' as they were called then.  So maybe you will need a bit more sugar (or not to reduce the quantity, as I believe you have posted that you do.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Reading all these posts about ice cream and pie - went out this morning for one more gift for my 1Xday gift sunshine basket - happened to be next door to a supermarket which I went into for a couple of bags of salad - AND saw a counter with packages of those creme filled curls (bought 2 packages) - which was right next to the frozen aisle, which led me to a package of calorie filled, cholesterol filled, sugar filled drumstick ice cream cones!  So you see, it's all your fault that I came home and had a healthy salad followed by a creme curl AND an ice cream drumstick!  I'm transferring the lbs from my hips to yours!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

hats, I did just what you suggested, kept the sugar as-directed.  I tasted the mixture, and I think it was perfect.  I also used the "optional" sugar in my pie crust recipe that I usually leave out.

tt, enjoy!  I love those pastries and have since I was a kid.  I was allergic to milk when I was little, and those were one of the few treats I really liked that I could have.  My grandmother froze them and sliced them in 1/2 in slices.  I loved the filling texture that way the best!  But, please, keep the pounds on your own hips!  I've got two pies and 3 tarts in the oven!!

Oh, yes, that pumpkin allowed me to make enough filling for 2 9" pies and three 3/4 filled ramekins (with a little round of crust in the bottoms) PLUS enough to freeze for another 9" pie.  Can you believe it?  I didn't think it was super huge; it yielded 6 cups of pureed meat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

How did your pies taste??? I am all ears!
    I still have my house guest and he has the biggest sweet tooth I ever met (and he is a dentist mind you). So my Irish Indian pie as well as my Pumpkin Ice Cream are all gone. Will have to make a new batch for my family. But not until after he leaves (hopefully this Sunday). Tonight it will be Jello w/ ReddiWhip. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

hats, I did just what you suggested, kept the sugar as-directed.  I tasted the mixture, and I think it was perfect.  I also used the "optional" sugar in my pie crust recipe that I usually leave out.  Posted by kargiver

Kar, I am so glad that it all worked out!  I am a history buff and have a spent a lot of time at Old Sturbridge Village learning about New England Foodways, so I love talking about traditional cooking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, this is so exciting!
    Would you mind to elaborate some more on the "traditional TG cooking"? How did the pilgrims cook their turkey? On a spit? Covering it with ashes from a fire? They had no ovens then. What sides did they serve? Probably corn - maybe potatoes. And I am sure Pecan Pie was not on their menu at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, they came out just lovely, thanks!  I have to admit I only really like my pies; the crust is always done all the way, never soggy, even with a wet pie like pumpkin.  With anyone else's I feign not liking crust and just eat the filling.  How stuck up am I?????  ;)

I don' think my BIL liked it.  It was different than regular canned pumpkin pie filling, and I'm positive that's what they grew up on.  No worries.  DH loves it and I do, too, and we're "stuck" with a bunch so that's good.

The texture was perfect despite it not being a pie pumpkin.  My mixer inadvertantly took out a lot of the strings; they bound up on the paddle, and instead of scraping it off and back into the mixture, what it collected went in the compost pile.  Love that Viking mixer...sighCool

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And this was the BIL, you went out of the way to get him his cell phone? He should be ashamed of himself not to like your pie.
    You know, whenever I make pies, I brush the crust with a bit of beaten egg white and let that dry before I fill it. Never had a soggy pie after that.
    Have been cleaning out my refrigerator and given it a good scrub this morning. Proceeded to make some of my boys favorites. Marinated olives, pickled herrings and such. Mr./Mrs. Turkey is waiting in the bin as well. Now I just have to concentrate on the sides, which will be the standard fare we usually have. But this year I am lucky. I will have no vegetarians at our table, so I don't have to worry about making two different meals.
    My sugar pumpkins are baking right now. It was difficult to "slaughter" them. They were so pretty sitting there on my counter. I know, I will have too much for my pie, but fortunately the stuff freezes well. I got a good laugh out of you beater, with all the "strings attached".

Pingo, they came out just lovely, thanks!  I have to admit I only really like my pies; the crust is always done all the way, never soggy, even with a wet pie like pumpkin.  With anyone else's I feign not liking crust and just eat the filling.  How stuck up am I?????  ;) I don' think my BIL liked it.  It was different than regular canned pumpkin pie filling, and I'm positive that's what they grew up on.  No worries.  DH loves it and I do, too, and we're "stuck" with a bunch so that's good. The texture was perfect despite it not being a pie pumpkin.  My mixer inadvertantly took out a lot of the strings; they bound up on the paddle, and instead of scraping it off and back into the mixture, what it collected went in the compost pile.  Love that Viking mixer... sigh .  ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Pingo, they came out just lovely, thanks!  I have to admit I only really like my pies; the crust is always done all the way, never soggy, even with a wet pie like pumpkin.  Love that Viking mixer... sigh .  ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

Saw this too late -  but regular pumpkins are sold with squash until after Christmas since they keep-

Since we grow pumpkins, sugar and not, and squash -  for non- sugar pumpkins, or when using half sugar pumpkins and half Butternut,  either you adjust the sugar as you did,
    or change the sweetener to include adding molasses

Less sugary sweet and a nicer  texture, more rich and the traditional  flavored sweetener going back to the days of the rum trade.    Used with the less sweet parts of the squash family (inc. reg pumpkins.)
           I like the additional allspice or cloves and nutmeg of the bottom combination for regular pumpkin with molasses , but  either is tasty.  Note- that sweetened condensed milk is NOT used with molasses, just the evaporated milk or half and half -  otherwise too sweet.

•1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin or squash puree, or canned
    •1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    •1 teaspoon ground ginger
    •2 tablespoons molasses
    •3 eggs, slightly beaten
    •1 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
    •1 unbaked pie shell, 9-inch

or with different spices - 3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice - you mix or can buy -
    I perfer this when the pie is half sugar pumpkin and half squash,  or a non- sugar pumpkin.

1.Measure 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into a small bowl or cup.
    2.Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger.
    3.Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice or ground cloves.
    4.Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
    5.Stir to blend.
    6.Makes 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.

3 times the above for 1 pie, 3 teaspoons or 1 Tablespoon

I'm with you in liking firm, moist but not soggy crust under custard and pumpkin pies.
         I'm the only one who was interested in my grandmother's old and much used Viking when she married and combined households.  Lucky me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

My grandmother makes a Rum, molasses and pumpkin custard that'll know your socks off, and I can't find the recipe!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Waggie!  Sounds delicious.  Try and find that custard, will you?  I LOVE a great custard.

BIL can't help it if he doesn't like the pie...I don't hold it against him. :)

Pingo, that's one way to avoid a soggy crust, but if you don't want to bother you can just make sure the pie is on the bottom oven rack so the crust is closest to the heat source and NEVER pre (or par) cook the crust.  That actually, against conventional wisdom, makes it soggy.  Just bake it raw with it filled on the bottom rack, no fuss.  I do brush the exposed crust with egg wash for looks, but nothing else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I was only kidding about BIL. My oldest son doesn't like pumpkin pie at all. For him it is pecan pie. But for my youngest it is not TG, if he doesn't get his pumpkin pie.
    Funny, all the recipes I have say to pre-bake the crust. I am going to try your method this year. Do you keep it on the bottom rack throughout? And at what temperature?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Pingo, when are you going to make your special pecan pies? I can't have a pecan pie in the house because I'd end up in a sugar coma.  I have probably eaten pumpkin pie made from non-processed pumpkin, but I'm not sure I knew the difference.  I have never used anything but canned and never had any complaints. My mother and grandmother used canned, too.   

I must admit, it's nice having a year off from preparing a Thanksgiving dinner.  I am making turkey shaped sugar cookies to take with me though.  I think I can handle that!

mothermitzi 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello mm, how I envy you! Nice not to have to bother with all that cooking on TG day. But truly, you did your cooking/planning for your Dad's party recently. You deserve a day off.
    I will be doing my baking Wednesday morning (our houseguest will not be leaving until Tuesday). Everything is ready to go. Made my piecrust a week ago and froze it. Baked my sugar pumpkins and froze most of it - except for what I need for my pie. A pumpkin pie, when you least expect it, is a lovely surprise. I once brought one to a gathering, we were attending on Memorial Day. It was the biggest hit - everyone went ga-ga over it. Ha!
    Funny thing, I have never used the canned stuff. Maybe b/c I am such a novice here. I am sure it is good and fine, but the first time I was asked to make a pumpkin pie (a request from my youngest son, when he was about 5), I used a Globe recipe that called for a sugar pumpkin. Have been using it ever since. It came out well, so why try to fix it. Oh, habits I guess.
    mm, you would not have a sugar overload from my pecan pie. More pecans, less sugar. As you must know by now, I cut drastically down on sweeteners, when cooking/baking. Everything turns out fine, our taste buds do not need that much sugar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

HI pingo -

After I get back from Thanksgiving, I'm going to make a pumpkin pie from sugar pumpkins.  Who knows, maybe I'll like it so much that I'll switch from canned. My curiosity is piqued!  I've already decided to use the JELLO recipe for pumpkin spice pie at Christmastime.  The Cool Whip will be a hit with the younger generation.

I also cut back on sugar when I bake.  I agree that recipes call for too much. When I was in New Orleans recently I had several slices of pecan pie. Even I, with a huge sweet tooth, can only manage a small piece here and there. My neighbor makes a pecan pie and adds cranberries to cut the sweetness.  It's pretty good.

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, if you've been using canned pumpkin pie filling you'll find a remarkable difference between them.  However, if you've been using canned plain pumpkin there won't be much difference at all.  The texture is a bit smoother with the canned because of the commercial whipping and straining of the fibers.  But, if everything else is the same in the recipe the difference won't be appreciable IMO.

If you want to make pecan pie that you can eat and enjoy a whole piece of (or more), make it with brown rice syrup.  It's literally (according to Cooking Light) half as sweet as corn syrup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I was hoping I could have done just that. But there is no Rice Syrup around here  - not even at the Natural Food store next to my office. And with our house guest, I just had no time to go to Whole Foods.
    I know how you must be feeling leaving Gracie. (Sorry, I am referring to a different thread). But at least she will be staying at home. We had great neighbors that would watch our dog and we theirs - but they moved and we had to put her in a kennel, when we were going away. Sometimes for 2 or 3 weeks. I just can't tell you how much I hated it. And the kennel killed her - long story I won't go into  - long before she was due.
    Bless your 17 year old neighbor. Treat her nice (I am sure you would anyway) - and be thankful you have her. God bless her - she is a gift from heaven.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hats, this is so exciting! Would you mind to elaborate some more on the "traditional TG cooking"? How did the pilgrims cook their turkey? On a spit? Covering it with ashes from a fire? They had no ovens then. What sides did they serve? Probably corn - maybe potatoes. And I am sure Pecan Pie was not on their menu at all.
    Posted by pingo

The Plimoth Plantation website has an article that answers many of Pingo's questions.  http://www.plimoth.org/discover/thanksgiving/plenty.php

They may well have boiled, or in their word, "seethed"  the turkey and other fowl.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, so sorry about the kennel.  We will be good to our neighbor!  Everything we have is a gift from Heaven and what better time of year to contemplate it.

You can order that syrup from Amazon if you want; that's how I get everything I can't find locally.

Sections
Shortcuts