January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: January 2012

Sounds like a great lunch.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Apple pie, you say - hmmm.  Now I'll be thinking of that.  I love the oil dip at Not your Average Joe's.  Could make a meal on that and bread.  Glad you had a nice lunch celebration.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, it really was delectable, and the service impecable, as well.  The apple dessert was very different, not exactly pie, but close when it comes right down to it.  Here's the description from their website:

hot apple cinnamon sticks
    spiced apples in a pastry shell, fried crispy and rolled in cinnamon sugar, served with hot caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

groan.............  YUM!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG!  caramel, apples, ice cream - pure Heaven.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That sounds good Kar.  So I've been starting to think of a first anniversary gift for DH. It looks like paper is the traditional gift.  I'm thinking theater tickets, we are both very interested in musicals.  In fact we are going to see Les Miserables in April.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar....that sounds AMAZING.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It was awesome!  I highly recommend it. :)

Winter, that's a cute way to interpret the paper gift!  My SIL and I are going to Les Mis in March.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

theater tickets are a great idea, Winter.  Some of the suggested gifts for different anniversary years are difficult to think of what to come up with, but that's a good choice.

Handsome Harry was out there under my shrub when I looked out, so opened one of the two cans of f.f. I bought special for him since I know he doesn't like the beef.  Thought I was opening the fish one since he loves the tuna, he gobbled the half of can right up - then I looked again and it was the grilled chicken feast.  Will keep some of that on hand just for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

gald HH stopped by tt.  Kar, Les Mis is our favorite and we've seen it many times.  :)  I just got tickets to Beauty and the Beast in June, a little while away but that's ok. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I love the theater and think that is a great idea Winter!  tt.. you so so good to HH... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think he will love it and I'm sure we'll go somewhere to dinner beforehand. Neither of us have seen that one, so it will be a first. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bring tissues and wear waterproof mascara.  It's a very moving story and captivating performance.  Your DH will love it - the 2 main characters are men in a battle involving ego, humility, and the human condition.  Not a "girly" performance or storyline.

I wish mine knew enough to want to go, but I can't say enough to spark his interest.  Oh, well, his sister and I will have a blast; we always do!  And, he can stay home with Gracie. :)

ETA:  WHOOPS, just read that you've both seen Les Mis many times.  Sorry about that - I missed the part about the other show in June - that's the one that's a first.  Well, I know you'll enjoy it this time, too!  I can blame old age, now, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, anniversary tickets is a great idea. Can't believe it is only a year ago, you married. Seems to me much longer with all that happened in your life since then.
    Princess, fortunately my mother had just left the kitchen to open the door for someone - when the cooker exploded. So thankfully no one got hurt.
    Busy day for me. Had an appointment I thought would last 45 minutes to an hour - but no Jose. 2 and 1/2 hour. I have started a new treatment for my knees an hips. If it works, I will tell you about it later. Came back and son took me for lunch - just 99 nearby. He needed to get out behind all his boxes and stacks of whatever, he is sorting. Went to MB after long time to get the lamb shanks. But of course one never get away with just one item. They have beautiful grapefruits - 50 cents each this week. And a bag of 12 Navels for $2.99. I bought the grapefruits, but not the Navels. I had just stocked up last week - 10 for $10 :(
    at S & S.
    Fortunately DH will be home late, so we will not be eating until 8:30. The lamb shanks is well on their way. Brown rice too. DS bought a rice cooker in Japan, but he cannot use it in UK - so he gave it to me.
    Everyone have a pleasant evening - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you got the naval oranges before the freeze in FL leads to a big price jump.  How are you doing the lamb, in the new pressure cooker?  GL with your new knee and hip treatments!

I am still stuffed to the gills from lunch.  Had a pineapple/cranberry juice (that I take medicinally), and that's it.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all,

Got barely enough snow last night to see Gracie's footprints on the back steps and for DH to leave a trail down the driveway.  I expect it will be gone by noon if the sun comes up.

TGIF!

~kar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Pingo, how long is your son here?  I've never owned a pressure cooker, so I can't offer any assistance.  Good luck with the treatement with your knees/hips.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning,
    Pingo I second the good luck with your knees and hips.  Must be difficult.  I have a bad knee that goes out occasionally and it is not fun.  I too never had a preassure cooker, curious how it works and the food comes out so looking forward to your editorial.  No snow here Kar, and I heard on the news high 40's.  Loving that forecast.  Winter, Yoda still liking his new food?  Gave instructions to DD on what and when to feed the boys and Amber.  She started laughing at me...  said I was like a mother leaving her kids!  LOL!  Starting to get excited about leaving tonight.  I am all packed and will be picked up as soon as I get home.  Realizing i need this.. Her house is on a cul de sac and all the neighbors get together on Saturday nights for a potluck supper and a few cocktails.  My cousin is hosting it in her house tomorrow.  Looking forward, I have heard fun times are had by all : )  I hope everyone has a great day!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Amber, are you all packed ready for your fun week-end?  Will you be leaving right from work?

I was surprised to get up to no sun, and the reports of light snow here and there.  I knew I had heard reports of temps getting into 40's today, so took it for granted the morning would be warm and sunny.

Sorry you are still having hip/knee problems, Pingo, but as I was told, it rears its ugly head just when you think everything is going along fine.  I don't know how in the world you did Disney, unless you let others push you around - which is the way I would have to go.  I find that sometimes the more walking you try to do, the more it aggravates it.  But, enough about that, the younger girls don't want to hear about the joys of the "golden years" - heck, my own family doesn't even want to hear about it!  SS and I commiserate now and then.

I called the lady down the street last night to let her know that HH was sighted and fed after the couple of single digit nights, and she said, yeah, he was at her back door as we spoke.  She tried to coax him into her breezeway, but said he was afraid of the door being closed, so just sat out there talking to her - I could hear him over the phone.  He sure has her wrapped around his little paw, because she was saying what a picky eater (funny we were talking about that yesterday on the boards) he is, and that she buys him this ff chicken meal that is $1.57 a can!  I laughed and told her he had just had a meal of half a can of the regular chicken ff at my house, 55 cents a can.  This cat probably eats better at all his beneficiaries than the house cats do!

Pressure cookers - my mother had one, but always warned me so of adjusting that little cap just right so it wouldn't explode, or you wouldn't get burned with steam, that even when she died and I inherited the cooker, I never would use it.  She used to use it a  lot, with no mishaps that I can remember.

Breakfast is done, now to get dressed, ready to go out when and if the sun makes its appearance.  I'm not satisfied with that gift card, such an impersonal gift, that may hunt for something more personal today.  B'day is tomorrow.

ETA:  your post was there when mine came up, Amber, so read of your leaving from home.  Sounds like a fun week-end.  Good for you for going, and how nice of your cousin to invite you.  Remember all the details to fill us in on Monday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I forgot to mention.  Yoda ate yesterday's choice of food and this morning I gave him Blue Buffalo Wilderness food.  He liked the Nature's Choice the best so far, so I got 4 cans of that.  I also mixed in some Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry food with his current so at least he's getting some nutrients from that. 

Amber, sounds like you are going to have a fantastic weekend. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The sun is starting to poke out.  Can't wait for the 40s...not sure it will make it here; we're usually about 5 degrees below Worcester's official temps given the elevation.

Pingo, I do hope you'll use your pressure cooker; modern ones do not explode.  And, tt, I don't blame you for letting yours stay in the back of the cabinet - I'd be afraid I wouldn't adjust the valve "just right," and BOOM!  If I worked I'd have one (today's version!) because you can do lovely braised "weekend" dishes on a weeknight that would take hours in the slow cooker or dutch oven.

Cleaned out the freezer this morning and found stuff I'd forgotten about.  Speaking of braising...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Amber, have a great trip. Sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun , and as tt says, we need a "report" on Monday. Hope your cold and cough will behave at it's best, when you are up there.
    tt, interesting about HH. If he has a collar, he must belong to someone. Right? Maybe he is just a smart cat, that find pleasure in having gourmet meals served to him everywhere he comes.
    Re: pressure cooker. It was a tremendous success. After preparations, which you would do anyway, it took only 24 minutes to cook the lamb shanks. Normally I have them in the oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. And they were super delicious with the meat falling off the bones. I think I am falling in love with this pot. It is nothing like the one my mother used. It is electric and I can brown in it, saute in it and simmer in it - so no extra pot is needed. I am going to make a beef stew in it tonight. I am also looking forward to cook beans in it.
    tt, I could do Disney b/c I was with two gentlemen, that had lots of patience with me. We were considering renting a motorized chair - everyone seem to use them. (Even young mothers with kids on their lab - anyone going to DW with little ones, keep that in mind). But I did alright, as long as I could sit down or stop for a few minutes every 10 - 15 minutes. Some of the rides I wouldn't attempt anyway, so I just sat and took in the atmosphere and watched people, while the boys did their thing. Never had a dull moment.
    No snow around here. Are we supposed to get some? With expected 40 degrees, I didn't think it would be white out.
    Son will be leaving Sunday night, so it will be a busy weekend. My house looks like a tornado has hit it. I have boxes and stuff in piles all over. But I am just closing my eyes right now. Next week I will try to get the house back in shape.
    - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just enjoyed these pet pictures. I am sure you will too - Pingo

http://www.boston.com/community/pets/galleries/your_pets_sleeping/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Woo hoo!  So glad you "risked it" and used the pressure cooker, Pingo.  It's a FAST slow cooker, a miraculous dichotomy of gourmet ease and speed.  And, a money saver, much like a crock pot.  You can buy cheap, tough cuts of meat and in 30 minutes have it a falling apart, melt in your mouth braised dish of tender goodness.

Glad you enjoyed Disney and no one pushed you beyond your comfort.  Your family is very considerate, but sometimes even well meaning people can miss the cues and needs of others.  

This reminds me of the time I drove my grandmother and her friend to DC, and my grandmother had a motorized chair, and I pushed the other lady in a regular one.  No trouble at all.  We had a blast!  And, I could rightly park in the handicap spots given we had 2 people in chairs to handle so that was convenient and easy.  I was in college...wow, that was 22 years ago!  And, they are both gone, now.  Life changes so much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Just earned a new word - dichotomy - and I love it. Now, I just have to learn how to pronounce it, LOL. - Pingo