January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: January 2012

Good morning everyone.  Pingo, I hope your BIL is doing better today.  Kar, have  a fun time with your SIL.  Where are you going shopping?  Can't wait to hear about it.  tt, hope you have a nice day too.  AFM we will be taking down the Christmas Tree at Chez Winter.  My DS is cute I come down this morning and he has the Christmas tree on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Waking up to yet another glorious day - albeit a bit colder. And it looks like the entire week will be in our favor.
    Hope Amber is having a great time and she will forget all about her cold and cough.
    tt, wish I had the time today to go to Marshal's today; you had some good finds. Love your doll, and your "birthday towel" is cute - your DIL will love it.
    But today is the big packing day. All those boxes will be filled and the piles (most of them, at least) will be gone. Plus the Veterans will be happy - lots to give away.
    Our stew dinner last night was delicious. Again so much flavor and the meat falling apart. That pressure cooker is a keeper. Now, I just have to find some good recipes for it. When I get time, I will go to B & N and look for some books.
    Went to see my BIL last night. He was in good mood. All the initial tests came out "negative". Monday, he will go in for the biggie, when they will put a camera in his lungs under anesthesia. Hope are up; he has never smoked - so that is to his advantage.
    Epiphany went, so we will be taking our tree down as well. Next week after DS has left. In the meantime, we will not light it up. Then I have to do a major cleaning and get organized again. Haven't had time to do that, since we went to Disney :(
    Enjoy the day - sun and all - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Pingo- I hope you have some good news this morning on your BIL. 
    TT-cute little Christmas angel, and love the towel.
    Kar- have fun today.
    Winter- I will be doing same as you today-have to start taking down all the Christmas decorations.  Even though I walk around and check, I always find stragglers after everything  is packed away. 
    Looks like a nice sunny Saturday! 
    Gonna go have another cup of coffee, and then get started. IF I can bypass my book I am reading !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cute, Winter, there's something magical about a lit Christmas tree.  Mine is still up and decorated too, not because I intentionally left it, but it's in the room off the kitchen and I kind of forget about it.  Definitely should tackle that tomorrow and get my house back in order.  Supposed to be up in the 50's today, so this is a day we should all take advantage of it and be outside.

Where does your son play this week?  So far, the games I've gone to anyway for GS have been at the same place locally.  Don't know yet about going today.  Called the cell phone to wish DIL happy birthday, but it went to the messages.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up, Pingo.  Scarey about your BIL, almost  have eliminated everything except his lungs.

My shopping experience at Marshall's was successful in the Housewares Dept, altho there seemed to be clearance signs in every department.  Lots of empty shelves too, that they were filling up.  May hit there again the first of the week.

Today and tomorrow will be tough days for your family, I'm sure.  Excited for your son's new adventure, but realizing there will now be an ocean between visits.  I'm sure he's having the same feelings.

Glad the pressure cooker is turning out to be such a success.  For the most part, I find pressure cookers and crockpots are not practical for me.  Makes too much that I'm eating forever, or filling up my freezer again with those never ending individual containers.

Washes to get done, I've really let those slide with my running out mornings, so will get going on that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, he plays for the travel team not the travel team at this time.  So all the games are in our town.  Enjoy your day, I have washes calling to me as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Maybe that is what it is - an ocean in between. Never thought of it that way. But you are right, tt. It seems further away that way, even though it is the same flying hours, as when he lived in CA for 6 years.
    I agree with you in regard to the crockpot and pressure cooker. A lot of food for one person. I am fortunate, that for us it is usually two meals and then DH takes some for lunch.
    More wash to do for me as well. I don't know, how many loads, I have done for DS with all the stuff he brought home. Still a few to be done. For the first time ever, I am running out of detergent. Always buy it on sale - 2 for one, but I will have to bite the bullet and pay full price for it this time.
    Happy birthday to DIL - Pingo

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]Saw your post when mine came up, Pingo.  Scarey about your BIL, almost  have eliminated everything except his lungs. My shopping experience at Marshall's was successful in the Housewares Dept, altho there seemed to be clearance signs in every department.  Lots of empty shelves too, that they were filling up.  May hit there again the first of the week. Today and tomorrow will be tough days for your family, I'm sure.  Excited for your son's new adventure, but realizing there will now be an ocean between visits.  I'm sure he's having the same feelings. Glad the pressure cooker is turning out to be such a success.  For the most part, I find pressure cookers and crockpots are not practical for me.  Makes too much that I'm eating forever, or filling up my freezer again with those never ending individual containers. Washes to get done, I've really let those slide with my running out mornings, so will get going on that.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Sipping my coffee and eating a piece of toast.  Handsome Harry's chicken feast was sitting in the fridge, so I gave it to Cheerio this morning.  No sooner gone than whose little white feet did I spy under the bush?  Opened up the fish combo I had bought for him but he turned up his nose at that and kept telling me, "No, chicken, it's the chicken I like"!  I've left the dish out there and he's gone back under the bush to watch for a tastier chickadee.

Didn't get to GS's game yesterday, but did go over in the a.m. to give my DIL her presents.  She absolutely loved the sweater thingie, tried it on right over her pjs and said the designer had been on a TV show last week.  (I confess I didn't even know it was a designer name!)  My GD took the birthday towel and put it right up on the oven door bar, so I lucked out with my choices.  Much more pleasure when you're able to find just the right things, rather than give a gift card, to me anyway.  They had had a birthday party dinner the night before with a dozen friends in a Boston restaurant so she's had a "wonderful 35th (chuckle, chuckle) birthday", as her Mom said.  

Winter, I found GS's team does play away games too, those are during the week.  If I understood him right, yesterday was the last at home game.  He loves it, was out shooting baskets when I got there.

2:30 this morning I had beautiful visitors, one I think an expectant mom - 3, maybe 4 deer in the backyard, the "to be Mom" as close as my birdfeeder.  One in the middle of the yard probably saw me as I moved into the kitchen, because she laid right down.  Her Mom taught her well.

Tree was deflocked yesterday, now the part I hate of lugging all those boxes and bags, which I seem to have more of this year, upstairs.  Some years I do a better more compact job of packing everything up, I guess.

Hope everyone has a nice relaxing Sunday.  Mm, how was your New Year's Eve trip?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

tt, what a rewarding experience with your gifts!  So cute she put the sweater on over her PJs.  What a sight this morning, too.  

Had a fabulous time, as always, with SIL.  We went to Wrentham, and it was SO WARM, the car reported 58.  58!!  

Not much happening here today.  DH is out with Gracie, and I've got the regular stuff to do after being gone all day yesterday.

Have a good one, everyone,
    ~kar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Looks like you hit the "spot" with your DIL, tt. I always look for personal things as well, and it is such a pleasure, when you hit it right.
    Kar, good to hear you had a great trip with your SIL to Wrentham. I like that place so much better than the outlets in Kittery, Maine. Same distance and much easier parking. One doen't have to scoot in and out and crossing Rt. 1 constantly. You park and that is it. I hope you took advantage of AAA's 15% discount.
    Off to make blueberry pancakes. I may not be back on the forums today until late night, but I will think of you all.
    Have a happy Sunday - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Happy Sunday All..I just finished my work and think I am going to attempt a small walk around the neighborhood...I am feeling so much better these past 2 days but I kind of want to baby myself a little.

We went to an 80th Birthday celebration last night for a little bit..it was fun and I haven't put on nailpolish sinse NYE..phone ringing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Good morning, everyone! I posted this in the pregnancy forum, but just wanted to share it here as well. Yesterday I had a rather interesting encounter with a complete stranger in Starbucks:

Stranger: Ohh, are you expecting?
    Me: Uh, yes, actually I am.
    Stranger: How far a long are you?
    Me: Almost 12 weeks.
    Stranger: WHAT?!?!?!?! You popped at 12 weeks?!?!?
    Me: Um, yeah I guess so??
    Stranger: Are you having twins??
    Me: Not that I know of...
    Stranger: Oh, well maybe you are just having a really big baby...
    Me: I sure hope so!!

Then it was my turn in line...and I left feeling huge...                     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You had the unfortunate experience of running into a really ignorant person.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, liz, the nerve!  Remember the article I sent you - everyone pops at different times in their pregnancy, some earlier than others, but it doesn't mean you are off track or "huge" if it happens on the earlier side.  Like tt said, that person was simply ignorant of that fact and of common societal decency.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I have learned in life never..ever..to ask a woman if she's expecting unless she is obviously 8 or nine months pregnant. Don't worry about it..and don't walk away "feeling huge".  When I was pregnant with my son..12 weeks was right about the time I popped enough that I could not snap my jeans. Every woman carries differently. The person who asked you about your pregnancy was ignorant in their remarks to you..and likely rather clueless. Was it a woman..?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning everyone, Waking up to yet another glorious day - albeit a bit colder. And it looks like the entire week will be in our favor. Hope Amber is having a great time and she will forget all about her cold and cough. tt, wish I had the time today to go to Marshal's today; you had some good finds. Love your doll, and your "birthday towel" is cute - your DIL will love it. But today is the big packing day. All those boxes will be filled and the piles (most of them, at least) will be gone. Plus the Veterans will be happy - lots to give away. Our stew dinner last night was delicious. Again so much flavor and the meat falling apart. That pressure cooker is a keeper. Now, I just have to find some good recipes for it. When I get time, I will go to B & N and look for some books. Went to see my BIL last night. He was in good mood. All the initial tests came out "negative". Monday, he will go in for the biggie, when they will put a camera in his lungs under anesthesia. Hope are up; he has never smoked - so that is to his advantage. Epiphany went, so we will be taking our tree down as well. Next week after DS has left. In the meantime, we will not light it up. Then I have to do a major cleaning and get organized again. Haven't had time to do that, since we went to Disney :( Enjoy the day - sun and all - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Pingo..do you like your pressure cooker? I only ask because I don't know anyone who has one and I have never owned one as an adult. My grandmother used her's at least once a week..and everytime she used it..I would refuse to go into the kitchen ( as a child of course). I always had visions of it blowing up the kitchen..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, mc!  Pingo raves about it and how delectable her lamb shanks turned out.  Calls it her new star appliance, I think. :)  My aunt and uncle have one and rave and rave and rave.  They are VERY busy (not like normal people's busy), and it's the only way they can have dinners that would ordinarly take hours.  The new ones are completely safe and do the job of a slow cooker or dutch oven in a tiny fraction of the time.

ETA:  I used to have your rule, "unless she's obviously 8 or 9 months pregnant," until disaster struck.  I asked when our bank manager was due thinking she was working right up to the wire, and she was not pregnant.  I thought she was kidding and made a bad situation worse by saying, "No, really, when are you due?"  O. M. G.  Needless to say, I don't ever comment, anymore!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Hi, mc!  Pingo raves about it and how delectable her lamb shanks turned out.  Calls it her new star appliance, I think. :)  My aunt and uncle have one and rave and rave and rave.  They are VERY busy (not like normal people's busy), and it's the only way they can have dinners that would ordinarly take hours.  The new ones are completely safe and do the job of a slow cooker or dutch oven in a tiny fraction of the time.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Hi Kar..! Hmm..something to consider. I use my slow cooker all the time..mostly for the same reason of being busy. Nice to come home and have dinner essentially done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You get the same result (or even brighter flavors), and you can start cooking when you get home.  Prep is nearly identical to that of the slow cooker, but it'll be done in no time.  Totally safe.  

Don't miss my ETA above - it's hilarious in a sad, embarassing sort of way.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

She was a woman! Honestly, I have to just laugh at her behavior. I, myself am always so cautious when asking any women if she is pregnant, and I usually don't ever unless, like all of you said, she looks like she is about to pop.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]You get the same result (or even brighter flavors), and you can start cooking when you get home.  Prep is nearly identical to that of the slow cooker, but it'll be done in no time.  Totally safe.   Don't miss my ETA above - it's hilarious in a sad, embarassing sort of way.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Oh Kar...thank you for pointing it out. You're right..soo funny but embarassing ( for both of you!). Oh well..you live and learn. I guess sometimes saying nothing is best...lol. I am glad to know that I am not the only one with "foot in mouth disease"..lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL!  I think we're all in good company.  I really thoght I was safe, though, that time.  I actually thought, "It would be rude NOT to mention it at this point because she might go out on maternity and I'd miss my opportunity to wish her well!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, there is a huge difference between someone saying something if they truly think that that person is really, actually 8-9 months pregnant. But, someone in my case is just an idiot. First of all, I don't LOOK pregnant, I look a little rounder in my belly, but MANY women have rounder bellies. How did she know I wasn't just a few pounds overweight!

I think you made an honest mistake....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, thanks, I really did - I truly thought I HAD to say something because she'd be out on maternity soon.

Your person was completely ignorant (like tt said) not only of how every woman's pregnancy and how early she shows is different but also ignorant of normal, human decency and what it means to be part of a civilized society.  What a sad case.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hope everybody had a nice weekend.  pingo, hope your BIL makes out ok tomorrow.  Thoughts and prayers are with him.  I bet it's been nice to have your son around, and I know you'll miss him when he leaves.  Have you planned a trip to England yet?

tt, funny about HH.  Luckily, my cats have never been too finicky.  We have a cat who lives at the office and she is very picky.  I buy her food and have learned to never deviate from 9 Lives tuna and egg.  That's just the way it goes.  She eats just about any dry food though.  Our trip over New Year's was nice.  I have gone other years to see my cousin.  She and her husband have lived in Dallas for years, and now her mother (my father's sister) is living with them.  She and my father had not seen each other since she moved to be with them a couple of years ago.  This fall my cousin told me her mother was very homesick and asked me if I thought my father was up to the trip, as my aunt really can no longer travel to Boston.  I asked and he was in favor of it, so I bought the tickets in October.  He and I stayed at a hotel.  I got a suite so we each had a room.  I thought that would be better than staying with my cousin.  She has a huge house - 3000 square feet and plenty of room, but I notice these days that he needs some down time and a nap every afternoon.  Also, my cousin has tile floors throughout her house and they make me nervous.  I was worried about him getting up in the middle of the night and slipping. I think my father was annoyed with me when we were at her house because I kept following him around! The dynamics of a parent child relationship change as time goes on.  Luckily, my father is pretty good natured about my hovering. Anyway, the Bruins were in Dallas playing their team (who knew Dallas has a hockey team?) so my cousin's husband arranged for all of us to go to the game and watch from his box.  It was nice for my father and his sister because before my father went into the War, they split a seasons ticket to the Bruins and went to the games together at the old Boston Garden. Listening to them talk about those special days was both interesting and emotional.  My cousin's kids are around and she had a big open house on New Year's Day.  I always enjoy the multi-generational gatherings.  And the weather was lovely.  We ate lunch outside by her pool every day.  We went to the Dallas farmers market. I brought back five pounds of fresh pecans and some mild dried chilis. We came back a couple of days after the holiday.  I have to say the trip was a success and I'm glad we did it now.  The day before we left, my father told me he was worried about becoming emotional when we were leaving my aunt. He's a typical male who always has that stiff upper lip thing going on.  I hadn't really thought about it but neither he nor his sister are sure they'll see each other again in this life. Then I realized how emotional it could be.  So, it was a bit bumpy on the way out with many smiles, hugs and a few tears.  It makes me cry now when I think of it.  

Spent yesterday and most of today taking down the decorations and putting away the Christmas china and serving pieces I took next door on Christmas Day.  The house looks bear.  Always hard to get used to the way it looks at first. Yesterday, I walked across the Mass Ave. Bridge and up to Starbucks on Newbury for a hot chocolate.  You'd never know it was January around here.  The river was like glass - calm and not even a skim of ice.  It was like walking in October or early April.   No complaints from me.  I almost froze earlier last week, so this is great.  
    tt, the girls are having a stay-over here next weekend.  I'm going to try out the hot dog, sour cream and sauerkraut recipe.  These kids are game to try anything although I don't think they've had sauerkraut yet!   

kar, glad you found some bargains and had a day away with SIL.  Sounds like fun.

Welcome to our new posters, liz and cricket.  Happy New Year to all.

mothermitzi