January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: January 2012

MM your post is lovely and thought provoking..How very many is the time that we enter into a situation ...and then find the gravity of it...Thank you for reminding me. I hate good-byes too

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hi MM and thanks for the welcome :-)
    I loved your story. It is a strange feeling when the child becomes the parent so to speak.
    My grandfather passed away a few years ago, a month shy of his 96th birthday. He told the best stories and was able to tell them right up to the end about growing up in the deep woods of Maine and about all the other places around NE that he lived. I loved those stories and what is nice is now that he's gone, my cousins and I love to repeat those stories to each other. Funny, the only thing he never..ever talked about was his time in the military during WWII. He discussed it with no one..not even my grandmother.
    Anyhow..I think in spite of the tears..your visit will be a time you will always cherish. It's so important to have those moments.
    One good thing about this warm winter weather, my consumption of hot chocolate has decreased. That is my go to choice for winter beverage :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, what a blessing to read your story this morning.  Crying with you as I, like the others, can relate.  

miscricket, my great-grandmother could also share stories of their facinating lives in Maine (Holden) with a commercial dairy farm.  She ran the farm, and my great-grandfather worked nights on the Boston-Maine railroad as a switch- and breakman.  Dangerous, exhausting work, and he died young.  My great-grandmother (despite all the eggs, bacon, fresh heavy cream, and butter she churned) lived to 101.  She had her wonderful mind to the last few minutes when she said, "Mama, put some wood on the fire, I'm cold," and she went Home.

So, we're fellow Mainiacs, huh?

Getting ready (am dragging my feet, obviously) for my appointment in Worcester this morning, and have a 1:30 in-home appointment to get my knives sharpened.  Yay!!  

Have a great day, everyone,
    ~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Wonderful post to wake up to, mm.  I'm sure you realize even more now, how lucky your father felt to be able to make that trip to Texas.   You are both so fortunate to have each other in your lives.

I'm down but not out, with this bronchial virus thing (self diagnosis).  I swear by the ColdEze that I've been taking 2 of each day since I got up Sat.  It's moved quickly from tight, pain in chest when I cough Sat, through loose, full cough yesterday, and so far this morning, no cough, just laryngitis and sore throat from such intense coughing.  No fever, and I don't feel ill, so I'm marching along.  Didn't feel bad about going over to son's, because their whole household is ill, colds, vomiting, and one of the grandparents has shingles.  I figured they were exposing me to more than I was them!  Anyway, I'm careful to keep a safe distance from the computer as I type!

Are you headed for work today, Pingo, or do you have a chance to recuperate and straighten things out a little?

Watched a great movie late yesterday afternoon that I had never seen before, "Radio".  It's a true story about how the interest and love of an outsider can completely transform a person's life.

Did happen to be up the same time during the night as the night before, and hoped to catch a glimpse of the deer in my yard again, but I suppose they've eaten whatever they found growing in my yard and moved on to "greener pastures".  Half expected my son to set up his camera in my yard, but he's studied them so, that I imagine he knows they move on looking for food.

My washes still aren't caught up, have some sheets and towels to do, so will get my shower out of the way and then go down and start the washer again.

Enjoyed your post too, cricket.  My grandparents either died in one case before I was born, and the other, when I was very young, so I always enjoy reading others' rememberances.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Took down the Tree and the inside decorations yesterday and Yoda wasn't very happy that his hiding place was taken down.  He kept looking at us as we disassembled the tree.  How cute he was.  I made chocolate chip cookies with the new mixer and than mashed potatoes to go with the roast. 
    mm, sounds like you had a nice trip and I'm glad your father and your aunt got to spend some time together.  tt, glad your DIL loved her presents.  I can just picture her trying the sweater one over her pj's.  Kar, did you get anything at the Outlets with your SIL?  Glad you had a good time.  Pingo, I hope you and your son had a great visit.  I made pancakes Saturday for breakfast.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

I had a wonderful weekend.  I was in Moultonborough NH and is it beautiful there.  Her house was just gorgeous.  That is going to be her retirement home with her DH in a few years.  They use it year round.  We were sitting in her seasonal porch that is heated and deer came into the yard.  Just wonderful.  We did lots of shopping in the country stores and went to town in Wolfboro. Like something out of a postcard. People are so friendly.  I would love to retire there myself. We did lots of eating and the potluck was so much fun Saturday night. I didn't go to bed until 2:00 and I haven't done that in ages.  Came back yesterday around 1:30 and was in bed early last night. I can't wait to go again and she told me I have to go back. Don't have to twist my arm!  My cough is better but my other friend I went with had the same thing!  So both of us were coughing up a storm.  But def better this morning and last night was the first time I slept through without the coughing waking me up.  My boss had a baby last week, so should be quiet in here for me for a while.  Sounds like everyone had a great weekend too.  Happy to be back chatting with my friend : )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds like your new mixer is getting a good workout, Winter!

Cheerio had a very lazy, sleepy Sunday afternoon -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, so glad you had a good time.  Moultonborough is Icer and my stomping grounds, you know, the whole Lake area.  Wolfboro is nice, but I prefer the other side of the lake, Laconia, Weirs, Meredith - less expensive, I think, and that's where I built summer memories with my kids and SS.

I am thinking I probably have the same thing as you and a million other people, but honestly, those ColdEze lozengas, taken as soon as you feel something like that coming on, shortens the length of the virus and keeps you from feeling really sick.  Just an FYI to keep a box on hand for "next time" - hope there's not another next time this year anyway.  As Kar swears by her onion juice, I swear by my ColdEze.

Coffee's waiting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, Cheerio takes the cutest pictures : )  She makes me want to take a nap! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Small world tt!!  My old boss (from the job I got laid off from) had a summer home in Moultonborough right on the lake.  Big money.  Yes, Wolfboro is expensive, but my friend has not found a shop she doesn't like : )  I just adore the country stores.  I have been to Laconia and love it there.  Nice to see the other side though.  Wish I was still there...  amazing how relaxing it is. 

ETA: will def pick up some ColdEze for the house. The onion syrup worked great for me too.  I'm sorry you have that virus too.  Very annoying the cough, just lingers and lingers.  I feel lucky, my friend said she has had the cough for 3 weeks and is going to the doctor is it is not better this week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Awe tt what a great pic.  Amber sounds like you had a great weekend.  tt, I may pick up a box of ColdEze.  I too know some people that are sick and I don't want to catch it.

Here is a picture of Yoad napping last night.  I had to put the Red Sox blanket on the ottoman, because he wanted to claw it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I feel lucky, my friend said she has had the cough for 3 weeks and is going to the doctor is it is not better this week.

She really should.  My cousin had that cough forever and when she went to the dr. he x-rayed for pneumonia and she ended up on prednisone and an antibiotic, plus an inhaler.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, Yoda is so cute.  Remember how worried you were at first because he wouldn't come out?  Now, he's taking over wherever he wants to lay, and you're not only accommodating him, but arranging for his comfort!  LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree tt.  I told her she has to go and get it checked.  Winter, I second what tt said about Yoda.  Just loving seeing him grow : )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He is loving his new wet food too.  But honeslty it looks and smells gross, but it's good for him.  It's Salmon and oceanfish by Nature's Choice.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

As every cat will tell you, the stinkier, the tastier!  LOL!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm finding that out  lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

tt, hope you are feeling better soon.  We have three people out sick today.  They all have bad coughs.  amber, glad you had such a good time in spite of your cough.  A change of scenery works wonders.  winter, Yoda is getting so big!

Just before my husband's grandmother passed away, she said she had to get to the train station in the town where she grew up.  She said she could hear the train whistle in the distance.  Very poignant. 

cricket, my father never talked about the war until one of my nephews interviewed him for a high school history project.  Growing up, I had no idea what he did or his rank - nothing.  These days, he talks about it frequently, especially after we took him to the WWII memorial in Washington.

kar, in the "old days" there used to be a man who drove around our neighborhood in a very small truck.  He had a distinct sounding bell on the truck and he sharpened knives.  The neighborhood women would stand in line and wait their turn.  I think he charged ten cents per knife!

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

mm, we had the same man who sharpened knives, except he had no truck, at least that we ever saw, he pushed his cart down one side of the street and up the other, and I can hear now that distinct bell that rang with the turn of the wheels. My mother always had her carving knife sharpened, and her sewing scissors.

Also had a rag/paper man who did come in a truck and would weigh the bags of rags the housewives had saved and pay them accordingly.  To this day I have a hard time throwing rags out, tear them up and use them as long as I can find a use for them, dusting, cleaning etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I have a rag bag...I use it diligently after we have colds..then I throw the rags away hopefully with the germs too...Just because so many of us have either had colds or are getting rid of colds..I thought I might share this tip/trick...after a cold..I throw away my toothbrush mascara and any lipstick I may have used right before the cold.

Not to be to "know it all" like but just.....a gentle reminder

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good suggestion about the toothbrush, Icer, never thought of that.  Couldn't bear to throw lipstick away, a tube lasts me practically a year!  All the more reason to toss and buy a new one, I suppose - LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]mm, we had the same man who sharpened knives, except he had no truck, at least that we ever saw, he pushed his cart down one side of the street and up the other, and I can hear now that distinct bell that rang with the turn of the wheels. My mother always had her carving knife sharpened, and her sewing scissors. Also had a rag/paper man who did come in a truck and would weigh the bags of rags the housewives had saved and pay them accordingly.  To this day I have a hard time throwing rags out, tear them up and use them as long as I can find a use for them, dusting, cleaning etc.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

My mother also had her scissors sharpened.  You remember the bell, too.  It was different than the bell on an ice-cream truck.   Funny, I can remember certain sounds and smells from childhood best.  My grandmother used to talk about saving rags and metal and wood scraps.  When we cleaned out her house, we found the ice sign she used to hang in the window.

mothermitzi  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE] I feel lucky, my friend said she has had the cough for 3 weeks and is going to the doctor is it is not better this week. She really should.  My cousin had that cough forever and when she went to the dr. he x-rayed for pneumonia and she ended up on prednisone and an antibiotic, plus an inhaler.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

If my friend who just died of pneumonia after having a cough that wouldn't go away had done that she'd still be alive...so, "good advice" is an understatement.

Some of you asked if I bought anything at the outlets - yes!  I got Uggs for the first time, short boots that I intend to wear as ankle-high slippers.  Awesome.  And, I replaced my broken meat probe.

Had a great visit at the chiropractor this morning - he did wonders for the shoulder I thought I'd torn something in.  I'm not so sure, now; it feels remarkably better.

Awesome picture of Cheerio wrapped around the throw pillow in naptime bliss.  I'm jealous!  I'd love a nap...

But, must get the place in order for the knife sharpening Cutco lady to come at 1:30.  Yahoo!

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

This must be the year of the knives - One of my Christmas presents was a 14 piece set of Cuisinart cutlery that comes with steak knives, kitchen scissors, and knife sharpener.  Do you suppose the boys are tired of sawing with my present knives, through the meat I serve them?  And, Santa tucked a huge Calphalon 7"er in my stocking!  I think my family was trying to tell me something!  But, having a hard time tossing out my old set that has served me well for - - well, more years than I should tell!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Nice present tt.  Yeah, they were probably trying to tell you something! I never thought much about knives until my DD and family stayed with me.  One day, my SIL quietly took a bunch of my knives to a place on Newbury St. for sharpening.  I had a little sharpener in my drawer that I used for years, but I must admit they were very dull. I've taken cooking classes and all the chefs stress the importance of good knives.  

Didn't feel like going out for lunch today, so I called a place where I knew I could get a good pastrami sandwich.  Started craving pastrami last week and you know how that goes. 

mothermitzi