January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: January 2012

Thanks, everyone!  It's the 3rd, tomorrow, but I'll take your well wishes today, too. :)  Yeah, 40 is what it is - no worries.  I think it's all about where you are in your heart, like you said, tt.

Ambergirl, I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. It's very scary - nuts are out there.  

tt, glad you bit the bullet and adjusted your chair, that's so important!  I know what you mean about messing with it and being afraid you'll break it or make it worse and not be able to get it even as good as it is "now."  Glad you risked it and it paid off.

Well, I'm off to get ready for my annual tradition of a birthday lunch with a friend whose birthday is later in the month (like Winter's - we're Big 4-0 buddies!).  DH is home and will take care of Gracie so nothing to hurry for.  Yay!

Have a great day, everyone.  Checking in later.

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning everyone, Feeling about the same today. But the syrup is helping. Deleted my posts. I never talk about this forum to anyone but want to be on the safe side. Thank you for all the great advice... my cable box is not working in my bedroom. So annoying. Will call and see if Comcast is open today. Have a good day!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Someone left a creepy note on my car at work, and I was a jumpy wreck for weeks.  Never knew who it was.

Plans fizzled for today; my friend is home with a sick kid.  Good thing I logged on at the last minute to print the coupon.  People forget that I have to leave here by 10 to get there for lunch.  Anyway, we're going Thursday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Got back from an icy wind blown walk with Gracie, about 4 miles.  That's our new regime, up from about 1.5 miles. Wasn't bad while the sun was out, but clouds kept interfering.  We got some snow this morning, and it feels like it's not done.  So raw.

DH and neighbor's kid are in the basement making all sorts of building racket - drills, hammers, air compressor, the works.

Wasn't counting on company for lunch (or being here for that matter)...so, what to do.  They'll be hungry in an hour.  Hm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]ss, your dear hubby is working today? God love him. Chinese sounds good as I am hungry but undecided on what to eat. Chicken thighs not talking to me right now. Kar, want what you are having but with a beef brisket (so spelled that wrong) : ) Just realized it is DD working. God love HER!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

If Kar shares her veggies, let me know and I'll share the briskt (yup, you spelled it right)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: January 2012 : If Kar shares her veggies, let me know and I'll share the briskt (yup, you spelled it right)
    Posted by shakersilly2010[/QUOTE]

Kar changed her mind so we're out of luck this time. ss

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Lunch - well, I watched bits and pieces of Dr. Oz this morning while I was working around.  He was talking about getting rid of belly fat and suggested (which lots of times is all I need to hear!) whole grain bread sandwich made with lettuce, turkey breast and sauerkraut - I ran out to the grocery store and did that one better, adding a slice of cheese and sliced pickle to the mix!  Yum yum yum.  Delicious sandwich.

Even tho the sun is out, I think the temp has started to drop already.  Maybe it was just the wind, but boy it was cold going back and forth in that parking lot. Had other errands that need to be done, but had already decided traffic-wise it was not the day to do them.

Tried 3 times to reach customer service after I got home to give kudos to the young man who bagged my groceries.  Frozen foods/cold cuts were in a bag together, canned goods bagged evenly with pkg items, to distribute the weight, bread and soft items in a separate bag, and none of the bags I brought packed too heavily.  It was really jumping in there when I left tho, so imagine manager was busy elsewhere.  May go online and see if I can leave a message there.

Amber, any improvement?  What are you thoughts about work tomorrow?  Has your DD been over today?  Now that I have a nice full belly, albeit a slimmer one, I'm sure (!), think I'll bring down the box the ornaments are packed in and start on the tree.  Have a new address/phone book to copy all the numbers into too, as well as a 2012 wall calendar to mark all the birthdays/anniversaries on.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day, and that you, Amber, are on the mend.  If you're not better by tomorrow, maybe you should get something from the doctor before it really gets ahold of you.  Take care.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

FWIW - just had to completely register with all info again - what's up, BDC?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Saw the synopsis of that Dr. Oz, tt, but walked Gracie instead of watching.  It'll be on, again.  

Made thick, bone-in pork chops for lunch for the boys and me.  Fried them in thyme butter (left over from NYE's chicken tenders recipe) with parmesan cheese bread crumbs on one side, turned, and immediately tossed the whole pan in a 350 oven for 15 minutes.  Tender, juicy, perfect.  Learned that trick from Rachel Ray.  Put that on a bed of spring salad with parmesan balsamic vinaigrette.  Heated some squash we had already done and served one piece of leftover pizza each.  We're STUFFED!  But, that will carry them through 'til dinnertime, no problem.  I'll need to take Gracie for another walk to burn it off!

Holy cow, they are pounding so hard down there the dishes are shaking!

Got to get the kitchen cleaned up and then might take Gracie out again.  You're not kidding, tt - it's COLD and raw.  This time I'll be sporting a wool scarf (one I made for myself just like SIL's) wrapped around my face.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tried S&S again and connected with the store manager.  He was most appreciative of my calling and said he would personally make sure to tell the young man and take care of him on his next break - whatever that means.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's great, tt!  Good for you for keeping at it and making sure he gets recognized for a job well done.  I did that once for good bagging, too - it's so nice when it's done well, and it hardly ever is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

All your lunches sound good.  We had sandwiches here as well, on french bread.  I had roast beef, provolone, couple small pepperoni slices and some pickles.  I'll be making slow cooked pork chops for dinner with egg noodles and some sort of vegetable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that's great that you wanted to tell everyone about the terrific service you received.  I'm sure the clerk who bagged your groceries is going to be pleased when the store manager lets him know.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm wondering if New year's Day is a "pork" dish day?  You pork, Winter, and Kar, and the couple in front of me were having a "pork/sauerkraut New Year's Day dish"!
    I almost picked up some boneless ribs to cook, but decided there was enough in my fridge that I wanted to use up.  Is it a traditionally pork day?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

For me it's a recipe that takes longer than I have when I'm working, so I thought I'd make it since I was off today.  I may make chocolate chip cookies with the mixer once and if I finish up all the laundry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We had pork because I was browsing yesterday for today's meat, and the nice, thick bone-in pork chops were calling my name.  I had the leftover thyme butter already so that closed the deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Happy New Year, everyone.

Yes, pork is a traditional new year's dish.  It might be a Southern thing We had a pork roast grilled w/ black eyed peas.  We got a Harry and David gift basket  - it's huge! - so we are trying to eat through that for lunches, along w/ a rotisserie chicken.  We will be eating H&D pears all week too. Delicious, but there were 9 of them in the basket and only 2 of us.  lol.

So glad to be back from vacation.  So much to do at work. It's  going to be a super busy month.

Amber, I hope whatever stalking problem you have is cleared up. Freaky.

Went for a run yesterday and today. Yesterday was close to 60 degrees!  Today is signicantly colder, but probably warmer than what you all have up in the Boston area.  My lunches are made for the rest of the week.  Trying a new gym class tomorrow night. I am ready for 2012! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome back, ALF!

Maybe that's why the pork chops looked SO good in the case yesterday - they were expecting people to want them.  Interesting, thanks.

GL with your new gym class and all your 2012 resolutions!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning! 

Boy, is it a cold one!  Gracie's outside playing with her buddy, and DH is off to work.  Boo.  Got spoiled with his being home for 4 relaxed days.  He's just getting over his cold, relaxing from being off of work, and back he goes.  Isn't that always the way, though.

Nothing going on today here except finishing up the de-Christmasing of the house.  I'd like to find a few "Winter" decorations to replace the Christmas things; maybe I'll visit the antique and consignment shops today.

In Everyday Food this month there's a recipe for spaghetti squash "pancakes" with cumin and corriander.  I made them with cooked butternut squash, and they were so delicious DH asked for them for breakfast the next morning.  They are a little hard to form with the change in squash, but give them a whirl if you like cumin.  Very good, but next time I'll reduce the spices to 1/2 teaspoon each; it calls for 3/4 tsp.

Have a great week back to the routine, everyone.  Still can't believe it's 2012...wow!

Blessings,
    ~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Kar happy birthday to you.  My son wasn't happy getting back to school today, but off he went.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone, ---and Kar, Happy Birthday. Hope you will have a nice day celebrating, whatever DH and SIL are going to dish up. You will find 40 is not so bad after all; it is just a number. You are still the same person inside and out.

Came back after midnight last night, and feeling a bit out-of-it this morning. PB son (now BH son) came home with us and will use this week preparing for his move. It will be a marathon laundry day today, and I have to stock up my refrigerator. Had a wonderful time in San Antonio - more later. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

PINGO!  Welcome back and happy New Year to you, too!  We've missed you so much and look forward to all your stories.  Thankful to see you are home safe and sound.

Thanks for the birthday well wishes!  I can't believe I'm 40, but not in a bad way.  I'm quite pleased, actually...it's hard to explain, but I guess I don't need to.

DH is giving me a dinner party later in the month (that I'm planning, lol!).  So sweet!  And, he surprised me with a beautiful dressy right hand ring, too.  I was 100% thrilled with just the kitchen mat, but apparently he thought a lot more of my turning 40 than it seemed.  He's barely mentioned it until just a few days ago, but now he seems to have "kar's 40th fever."  :)

Winter, I always had to go back to school (and then work) on my birthday, or at least it seems that it was that way every year.  DH trudged off today, totally bummed, too.  So, I can relate to your DS!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nice to see your post this morning, Pingo.  We missed you.  Glad to have you back on the boards.

Kar, happy birthday again!  This time I've got the right day anyway. Birthdays are special, at any age, glad your DH is planning (with your help) a celebration.

How was your pork dinner last night, Winter?  I ended up with a bowl of chicken soup and a grilled cheese sandwich - trying to empty out those fridge containers.

Amber, how are you this morning?  Did you venture into work, or is this definitely a "call the doctor" day?  Hope you at least see some improvement.

DIL called yesterday with a raging toothache.  She sees dentist faithfully and was able to get a call back from him even tho it was a holiday, with an order for an antibiotic.  She's to call the office this morning and hopefully get a "fit in" visit today.  I sympathized with her, but so glad it's not me - hate dental work, that's why I go every 4 months.

Decided it's not going to get much warmer within the next few days, and at least the sun is out today, so will go with my list of stops and try to get it done today.  I'm not a cold weather person, and could easily hibernate the whole winter.  The warm temps we've been having are just what I'd like year round.

Off on my day.  Will check in later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, welcome back.  I can't wait to hear about your trip.  Kar, I'm glad you are at peace with turing 40.  I'm not happy in the least.  So sweet that DH got you surprise jewlery.  tt, the pork was great, but I left my container (for lunch) in the fridge at home :( .  It a slow-cooked pork chop recipe that is awesome. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Feeling about the same but just called my doctor to see if there is anything else I can do.  They told me it is viral and it is going around. Will keep doing what I am doing.  Kar, Happy Birthday!!!  And DH is smart, you can never go wrong with jewelry Wink
    Welcome back Pingo, you were missed!  It is cold today, for some reason didn't expect that and forgot my gloves of course.  Happy New Year to all the lovely ladies on CC!