January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: January 2012

Oh no dear, not everybody is in bed.  I had a nap earlier, so I'll be prowling around til all hours.  Glad the medicine seems to be helping.  Try and get some rest.  

mothermitzi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning Amber,

How are things this morning?  Glad mothermitzi was checking the boards after I had shut off for the night, and was there to chat with you.  I don't imagine you got much sleep.  How is precious Amber doing this morning?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am praying that Amber is well today

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt and mm, thank you so much for your support last night... shows what great friends I have on here. Not much sleep last night but called earlier and I can go and get her! I am sure she will be on medication but that's ok. She is better home. Wanted to let you all know before I leave in a couple of minutes. I am so relieved for my old girl. Will check in later today. Thank you again!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Ambergirl, I'm so sorry for Amber and everyone who loves her.  I don't think I'd do the operation, either, especially since the seizures, while difficult on you, aren't particularly harmful to her.  I wish we could do more, but you have my thoughts, prayers, and cyber-hugs, too.

On another note, tt, the reason you don't have success, I believe, is that any recipe that calls for ice water cannot even get warm in the first place.  You need to have the kitchen cool, your hands cold, work fast, chill it down completely in the fridge, roll quickly, transfer to the pie dish, fill the pie, and slam it in the oven fast.  This is because melting/warming changes the structure of the crust such that it will be very dense, rock like, actually.   The reason my crust is no-fail is that it does not rely on the chemistry of staying and being chilled when it goes in the oven to work.  It has to be cool only so it is easier to roll and transfer to the pie dish, not to keep its lightness when it's cooked.  It's flakey and light every time no matter how warm it ever got.  However, maybe given this new information about the key to the success of your mom's you might want to give that one a whirl, again.

How is Amber this morning?

ETA:  Glad you are going to get her - she must be doing better.  Sorry, I was sitting on my post awhile, I guess, and missed the flurry this morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Oh Amber, my heart goes out to you. I know how difficult it is to see your poor baby going through a seizure - it rips you to pieces.  You are doing the right thing - just be with her.  She knows how loved she is.  Please keep me posted.  If you have any questions, please let me know as I have been through so much of this.  Let us know what meds she is on too, if it's the pheonobarbitol, I can let you know what to expect.  Will be thinking of you all day.  I can check the boards via my phone, but can't post, but l'll keep my eyes on it.  Take care.  Hugs to you and Amber.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Forgot to send along Gracie's well wishes for Amber.  She understands.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    I had a really crazy day yesterday and missed the boards totally. Amber, I am so sorry to learn about Amber. I am glad to hear though, that you can take her home and that she responds well to the medication. I am not a pet owner at present, but I still love our furry animals. You and Amber are certainly in my thoughts and prayers, hoping for a continued good life for your dear Amber. Wise decision not to tell DD. Now that the worst is over, it will be a lot easier to tell her. I am sad for you, that you had to be alone home last night; you must have been a wreck.
    Kar, that snuggie is coming along beautifully. If any leftover yarn, you could make a snuggie for the bear, you gave her last year - now that you don't have so much pressure on yourself. She would love that. I do hope she  gets well soon. It is quite unusual for a small toddler to get the flu, unless the entire house is sick. But they do run high temps even for minor problems. Hopefully she will bounce back quickly.
    I read with interest your explanation about the pie/ice water and don't feel so bad anymore. The recipes I have used in the past did call for ice water, but did not mention, one has to work in a walk-in refrigerator. Anyway, it's in the past, as your crust is a keeper.
    tt, DH and I had lunch at a restaurant in Stoneham a few days ago (the day the IRS officer barked at me), and they had several of those "birds on strings" hanging from the ceiling. These was carved out of wood and painted in different colors. They were beautiful. Naturally, I thought of you.
    I know, mm is going to her DD for Super Bowl. What are the rest of you doing? I need some menu suggestions. We will be at home with one couple coming over. She is a vegetarian, but eats eggs. I am planning on doing a lot of appetizers in lieu of dinner, so we can eat while watching. I immediately thought of your deviled eggs and stuffed mushrooms. But I need a lot more. I will make the Pingo household's traditional chicken wings, even though she cannot eat them. And it will be the Wowie cake w/ whipped cream for dessert. They are both chocoholics.
    Will leave for work shortly. DH has his team tennis game - and will meet up with me later.
    Looks like we are having another mild day. You all have a good one - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Is it just me or is this site repetitive? Best burger, pizza, Chinese food, scariest movies.....I post here and at the Herald, I get deleted here @ BDC but, say what I want at the Herald and it stays in some cases I even post the same comment or question! So what are the un-written rules for the BDC? I've come to believe I can post here @ BDC as long as its in agreement with the mindset of the BDC while the Heralds stance is one of "enjoy the first amendment!"...Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, so glad to read that you can bring Amber home this morning.  Hopefully the meds they have her on will keep the seizures at bay.  What a night you must have put in.  I felt terrible for yelling at Cheerio and putting her down cellar for a time out yesterday when she got under my feet.  This morning, shared a few tidbits of my cinnamon muffin with her.

Ran up to S&S at 8 a.m. and that certainly is the time to shop.  No waiting at the deli or check outs, aisles are free of people who stop right in the middle and look left and right for items, and the meats all have some with $2.00 or $1.00 off, and their date of sale is still a day off.  I picked up some stew meat, apple spice sausages (have had them before and they are delicious) and a few spareribs as well as Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce that was on sale for $2.00.  I'll put those in the crockpot tomorrow.  Went in with my quickie 10 item list and came out with a full cart, but I'm rationalizing myself for spending so much by telling myself I now shop every week and a half instead of every week, so that it all evens out (?)  What a great early start i have to the day.  Now just do a few things waiting for G.T. to come, probably around 11:00.

Pingo, I'm so pleased to hear that the hens have made it to wood carvings.  I do love mine and enjoy tinkling that little bronze bell each time I go by.  Think I am calling the Gods that be to let them know where they can drop off the prosperity!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't know why your posts are getting deleted here, RT.  You follow the rules as far as I know.

Love your hens, tt, and congrats on a successful (if unexpectedly large) shopping trip.  No sense passing up those bargains just to stick to your original list!

DH is out with Gracie, I've washed off my "Wicked Witch of the West" (as DH calls it) facial mask, have cleaned up the kitchen and feel fantastic.  Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day.  I'll take Gracie this afternoon for her shorter walk.  I'm continuing to lose weight, intent on making my goal by Feb 29 and then to keep it off, of course.  Soon after that, we'll be eating out of the garden, again, and doing our annual Purification 3 week diet from my aunt.  (That woman never contacted me about getting one in this area for her bf, oh well...maybe she will when they are exasperated enough.)

The snuggie is enormous.  I'm about 4 hours from being done; need to finish up the neck/top and crochet in the sleeves.  I think I'll have to save it for her 5th birthday and do something else for this one now that I have time.  

Ambergirl, we're all waiting eagerly for your report on Amber.  If I recall, prin-cal's Buster took about a month to adjust to the anti-seizure medication before he started acting like his old self.

Blessings,
    ~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, your prosperity hens are beautiful. With the little silver beads and the fabric, they are made of - it looks like they are made in India or maybe Pakistan. Need to go to that little store and get some myself. It is not far from our office.
    I just put country style spare ribs w/ Sweet Baby Ray's sauce in my crockpot this morning. Picked them up at S&S last night - $2 off. Good to have dinner ready, when I get home from the office later on. Need to plan ahead, or we end up going out to grab something. By that time I am really tired and don't feel like starting over w/ a new "job": preparing and cooking dinner. I also picked up 2 boneless rib eye steaks that was $2 off. One we shared last night; the other one I stuck in the freezer for later.
    Have a great day w/ your two boys. You have certainly prepared well for them.
    - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, India.  That's why I made sure you could read the little tag that tells they are made by a Woman's Coop in India.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

amber - glad to read amber is coming home today.  Let us know how it goes.

Just had a bowl of oatmeal, and I'm headed over to the river for a walk. Shopping later.  Have a great day everybody.

mothermitzi 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did you change the crochet hook size giving it a different guage,Kargiver?  I'm sure she'll treasure it and save it, probably only another year, kids grow so, and enjoy telling her dau Auntie Kar made it "just for you".  My GD still mentions the striped leg warmers I made her when she was about 4 that she insisted on wearing on her arms!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, just saw your post. Please don't tell me, you now are going to make something else. Sounds like this snuggie was never meant to be. But are you really sure it is too big? A snuggie has to be enormous. I do not imagine, it will be something she will be walking around in, but rather being covered by in a stroller or such. Hope you have much better luck w/ the new project, if you decide to start one.
    Glad to hear you are feeling "fantastic". Me too. These treatments, I have been getting, have really made so much difference for me. My hip pain is totally gone, and my knees are so much better. I am off my pain medication, and I can now walk up stairs w/o pain. I still have difficulties and a bit of pain walking down stairs. Mostly b/c of the swelling I think; I can't bent my knees properly.
    Anxious to hear, what your new project will be. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ladies, I cannot believe the trouble I've had with this.  I believe you are right; it was never meant to be!  But, here it is.  Yes, I did increase the hook size because the finished size was definitely a bit on the smaller side.  When I measured to extrapolate to the final dimensions, I totally misread the instructions and left off a full 15 rows (the part above the solid blanket that contains the neck and sleeves).  I'll only know for sure if it's too big when it's totally done, but those 15 rows I didn't account for sure do add a lot.  I'm so aggrevated!

Great news you are getting such considerable relief from your treatments!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I'm happy to read you have benefited from the treatments, especially after driving back and forth to the appointments.  It is such a relief to not have pain. 
    Good for you pingo.

Something came to mind for your SB party.  What about making a bowl of Knorr leek dip and serving it with raw veggies?  I think we both like the Knorr soup mixes and may have discussed this before.  Anyway, it's not fancy but it's easy and good.

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I gave you a tip about your mom's crust on the previous page - did you see it?  I think you can do it just like hers if you give it a try knowing the trick.  If that still doesn't work I posted my crust recipe in CC Recipes.

I really like Knorr's dips, mm, good suggestion.  

We were just invited to my SIL's SB party, but I already have plans with a friend who isn't into football, either.  It's been about a year since I've seen her so I definitely wouldn't cancel.   What can you do.  Maybe DH will go to his sister's without me while I'm out with my friend, but then I'd have to think about Gracie...not that it couldn't be handled.

ETA:  tt, in addition to not letting the dough get warm, it might also be a matter of how you measure the flour.  Maybe you know to fluff and spoon lightly it into the measuring receptacle.  If you are scooping it with the measuring up directly from the canister, you might be inadvertently using too much flour.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Great suggestion, mm. You are right, I use Knorr for my dips. I have tried making them from scratch as well, but always go back to the good old Knorr. Why fix it, if it ain't broken. I usually use the veggie one; have never tried the leek. Will do that for a change. I love leeks and cook w/ them all the time. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, could you possibly add those 15 rows to the bottom of the blanket? Maybe in a different pattern, so it look like a border and as if it was meant to be that way.
    It is such a shame, if it will be unusable - you have worked to hard on it. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]Kar, could you possibly add those 15 rows to the bottom of the blanket? Maybe in a different pattern, so it look like a border and as if it was meant to be that way. It is such a shame, if it will be unusable - you have worked to hard on it. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

The top 15 rows, the ones I didn't account for, actually make the snuggie a snuggie - it's the portion that contains the neck and sleeves.  It will be usable, but probably not for a couple of years. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I don't know why your posts are getting deleted here, RT. You follow the rules as far as I know......
    What doesn't make any sense to me is that the Herald never deletes any of my post's but, the BDC seems to "delete" the same post on its site...I guess as long as I limit myself to recipes (they haven't been deleted) I'm all set....

Kar do you have an e-mail address for the BDC.com site?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

RT they have different moderators that screen things,  they probably thought the donkey (you know what) might be considered offensive.  If you go to your profile page it will tell you...I think on the right how to e-mail BDC.   feedback@boston.com.    Or someone may have complained ie: hit the abuse button,  I've never done that, not sure how it works.  You can leave a question for BDC at the bottom of the forums:  "Talk to BDC"  but it takes forever...if they answer you at all!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]RT they have different moderators that screen things,  they probably thought the donkey (you know what) might be considered offensive.  If you go to your profile page it will tell you...I think on the right how to e-mail BDC.   feedback@boston.com .    Or someone may have complained ie: hit the abuse button,  I've never done that, not sure how it works.  You can leave a question for BDC at the bottom of the forums:  "Talk to BDC"  but it takes forever...if they answer you at all!
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

I made it a separate post - nobody was obligated to read it OR respond to it.  It was an article that raised several questions for discussion. The fact that the same article could be discussed @ the HERALD but not on the BDC is a bit confusing, why offer an open forum only to edit/delete a topic because "someone" deems it inappropriate, wrong or distasteful? I thought the BDC's topics of discussion were intended to "create a discussion" - I was wrong, I missed the caveat......

Sections
Shortcuts