January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: January 2012

tt that story made me laugh out loud! What adorable little devils!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm a veteran when it comes to a dog that wants to eat more than she should have, lol.  Gracie doesn't care for carrots, although, many dogs do, and they are fabulous for them.  (However, bananas, according the doggie periodontist we saw when Gracie broke a tooth, are a big no-no; they cause cavities for their high sugar content and tendancy to stick on the flat chewing surfaces.)

DH just took her to the woods for their walk.  He's asked me to make more tomato sauce so that's on the docket for today.  What else?  I need to vac and steam the floors; what a mess after the wet weather.  And, dust - the sun is showing every spec.  I'll probably finish the snuggie today, too.

This week Gracie's getting a bath.  I know it's a dry-skin time to do it, but she's starting to stink, and she's been in a lot of salt and sand since we got snow.

Pingo, $11?!  And, to not recognize a cabbage, makes you wonder.  I had to tell a checkout girl every single piece of produce one time, "That's Garlic.  Asparagus.  Avocado..."  I wonder what anyone who can't identify these things by the time they are teenagers actually eat.  The toddler I'm making the snuggie for walks around the house all proud she can say, "Av-o-cad-o."  She's 2.

tt, if fudge were around I'd not be able to stay out of it; I love fudge.  I drool over your tales of goodies galore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I'm glad Amber is feeling better.  Buster was on pheo as well, and it made him ravenous and so thirsty!  It also made him quite "loopy" until we could get the levels right.  We did also take him to get his liver checked to make sure it wasn't an issue, which it was not.

A friend of mine is letting me watch her Boxer overnight when she goes away in Feb.  I can't wait, lol.  I know it's not practical for us to get another boxer, so maybe I'll just "borrow" them, lol.

Have a great day everyone.
    TT - funny story about the treats!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Amber so glad to hear Amber is doing better. You know, that epi pen must be with Amber all the time. Including when you take her for a walk. I hope and pray, you will never have to use it. I am worried, what you do when you go to work and she is alone home all day? Is it possible for you to bring her to work? It doesn't hurt to ask. She does not sound like she is a destructive dog, but rather sleeps the day away.
    What little devils, those two kittens of GT's are. Animals are so smart. Maybe the boys didn't close the drawer tightly, and the smell of the goodies was too much for them to bear. The story made me laugh out loud.
    Kar, I hope to see a picture of the finished project soon. How is the baby doing btw? Still fever? You are right -it makes me wonder too, what the young people eat these days. I often have to tell them as well, what some of the vegetables are. Like leeks for example or dikon. Odd veggies for most Americans - but cabbage? I was considering showing the manager my slip with all the mistakes.  Mostly for him to see his employees need training, but I decided not to. Didn't want the poor girl get in trouble. Just have to be more alert, when checking out.
    Not much on my plate today. Will go to the office for a couple of hours to do some filing and cleaning up my desk. Also have to move all last year into storage now that the end-of-year is completed.
    Planning on making duck legs tonight. Placing them on a layer of sliced potatoes and roasting them together. Serving it with sweet and sour red cabbage.
    You all have a great Sunday - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

After all that heavy eating yesterday, decided I didn't feel like the ribs today, so instead took out a couple of those chicken legs.  I see they left the remains of one of the veggie items we ordered yesterday, and that will go great with the legs. Washes to catch up on.

Wednesday looks to be a beautiful day and just made plans with a friend to get together after my mammo, do some Mblhead poking.  Should be great by the water.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, I thought you were looking for another boxer...did something change or am I losing my mind?  How's your mom, by the way?  Haven't heard in a long time.

Pingo, duck legs and sweet and sour cabbage sounds elegant.  I know, I lump garlic in with cabbage in that every person over the age of 10 should recognize it in America.  Diakon I could understand; I'm not sure I'd recognize that, either, embarrassingly enough.

tt, we'll be visiting friends the same day this week.  I'm heading East for lunch with a couple of girlfriends from work.  I checked the forecast - lovely day for Marblehead.  

Next Sunday, another friend from work is coming out to visit and hike with me and Gracie.  Got a lovely route all mapped out, longer than usual.  Will have a nice lunch here and then hit the trials.  Can't wait!!

Ambergirl, any updates?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, dikon is a long white radish, but stronger tasting. It can be up to a foot long. The Chinese and Japanese use it a lot. It taste delicious raw with just salt and pepper - just like we eat the red radishes. Well, now you know. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, when you have a chance, read Connie Schultz' article in today's Parade magazine, "The Bird Feeder Wars".  I was just sitting down to finish reading the paper and clip coupons and came upon it.  I sat on the couch laughing out loud, and the pictures are priceless!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    Kar, dikon is a long white radish, but stronger tasting. It can be up to a foot long. The Chinese and Japanese use it a lot. It taste delicious raw with just salt and pepper - just like we eat the red radishes. Well, now you know. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo

I think we are planting that this year...Honey showed me the seed pk

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, tt. Funny article. We have a squirrel, that looks like a bear too. We call him Bear. Given up a long time ago. He is too fat to hang on to the feeder now, but he eats whatever the birds discard.
    We don't get the Sunday Globe and thus no "Parade". But I googled: "The Bird Feeder Wars" - in case anyone is interested. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo!  I think we would like it, too.  What is your favorite way to use them?

icer, can you hardly wait for the new growing season?!  We're using up last year's stuff, still, but wouldn't it be something if we were overlapping food from last year and this year?  We have butternut squash (we must have had 100s of 'em - I feel like I've cooked 1000), onions, and frozen tomatoes.

I've got a call in to the parents of the sick birthday girl, no call back yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Boredom has set in this afternoon.  Don't feel like braving the heavy traffic that's around here on week-ends, so instead will do my other passtime - bake.  Making half tollhouse, half plain brown sugar cookies to restock my cookie jar.  Filled the birdfeeder a little while ago and it's really nice out.  Have done a couple of washes and worked on the puzzle a bit, but can't quite get myself in the mood to do any more along that line.  Pingo, are you still at work?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, tt - I am still here. I always get a lot more done, when no one else (except DH) is here. Your cookies sound really good to me right now. Could use a bit of energy. How far did you get on the puzzle? The traffic is not bad at all - and it is very nice out. So you still have an hour and a half or so, if you get too bored and want to get out, while it is daylight.
    Kar, we generally eat the daikons raw w/ salt and pepper. But I have also cut them in match sticks and added to a stir fry or in salads. I think they are also called "White Radish" here in US.
    That you haven't heard from the baby's parents can mean two things. She has become much better and they have gone out. Or she has become worse and they are at the doctors. I hope and believe it is the first scenario. Babies do get very high temperature, and then are fine the next day. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm committed to baking the cookies now.  Just had one of each for you, Pingo, with a glass of milk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'll look for white radishes or daikons, thanks.  I know DH will love them.

Pingo, it was as you suspected, they were entertaining guests because she was 100% better having a fever for no apparent reason that went away overnight, thankfully.

tt, can you eat another one for me, please?  I want one...

Finished my sauce, talked to my friends (w/the toddler), gave my mom a call, put in laundry, cleaned up the kitchen and tidied the house.  Will do the floors tomorrow.  Spent quite awhile talking with everyone on the phone.  Will make the spaghetti when DH says he wants dinner.  I'm not hungry in the slightest for all the munching I did while I was cooking.  I got a ton of chicken hearts I was going to use in the sauce (for $4), but ended up taking 1/2 out for Gracie treats and eating most of the other half plain.  I just love 'em, and so does Gracie.  I was thinking I need a high quality treat for her when we go walking so she is SURE to come when I call her.  She runs around willy nilly out therel, and I can't always see her (but I know she keeps an eye on me).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you posted, Kargiver.  That's another  thing I meant to do today was make a batch of sauce.  Forgot all about it.  Friend I used to work with called, just got back from Fla and is going again in a few weeks so wanted to set up lunch with me and another girl before then.  Cookies are cooling and chicken legs are in the oven. I'll go out and start the sauce.  My boring afternoon seems to have taken care of itself nicely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo I am def worried about Amber when I go to work but I am realistic. I need to work to take care of her, my cats and my house. No, my work does not allow animals and on top if that neither does the building I work in. One of my tenants brought his Great Dame in and security made him leave with the dog. She is on a real low dose of meds because of her age. DD and I bought her a new toy today. She is sleeeping right now, exhausted from playing : )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Try not to worry about leaving her while you're at work, Amber.  If she has been seizure free today, the dosage the vet has her on is probably doing its job.  You are taking the very best care of her you can, and doing all you can to help her.

House smells devine.  First the cookies, and now I just took the chicken legs out. And look, it's dark already.  Finding something useful to do with the afternoon accomplished.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Looks like lots of cooking going on.  Pingo, I have only had duck once and loved it, however, I have been too scared to cook it.  Plus, DH would never eat it.

Kar, Mom is doing okay, thanks for asking.  She still misses FL terribly, but is happy to be around my brother and I.  As for another boxer, as much as I adore them, we  know it's really not practcal.  We should really get something small, so Spencer can play better with him/her.  Plus, I really cannot walk a big dog.  Also, since having 2 boxers with signficant health problems, it really scares me too.  So, we will probably get another small dog.  We'll see.

Amber, I know you will worry about Amber tomorow, but you have to do what you have to do.  Also, when the do have a seizure, there really isnt much you can do.  Besides,  am sure the pheno is enough in her system that it shouldn't happen. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, glad my post reminded you of your plan and that your afternoon got filled with fun and productive things to do.  Our house smells good, too. :)

ambergirl, chances are Amber will be seizure free on the meds and, if not, they will be markedly less severe, I'm sure.  I'm so sorry, though, you are dealing with this even though it seems to be under control, now.

Prin, I asked about the Boxer because it sounded like you wanted another one, and I wondered why not, now.  All that makes sense, but I didn't mean to pry.  There are many smaller dogs that are mellow and healthy.  Mixed breeds are the healthiest, I think.  Glad your mom is doing well and that she's adjusting.  She'll always miss her life in Florida, though, no matter how much she enjoys the one she has here.  I know how it feels.

DH is in the massage chair after a long day of hard work.  Then, dinner of spaghetti and meat sauce.  Maybe a movie after. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I know when she has a seizure she has no memory of it. I on the other hand will always be traumatized : ) but I will always worry about her at work now.. but she is good today. Thank you princess for your understanding.. ans Pingo I know your heart was in the right place for Amber. You are the kind of boss I would love to work for...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, the boys said with all the attention Amber has gotten if they can say hello to Cheerio. Wait! What! They ran in the other room and started grooming themselves! Gotta run.. BOO! TIGGER! I DIDN'T SAY SHE SAID YES!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I made buffalo wings today for me and DD. Lots of memories in them. She use to have me make batches for super bowl parties : ) Had with celery sticks, blue cheese, white rice and cesar salad. Fun and easy meal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm sorry.  Tell the boys here is their glamour girl, zonked out for the night -
     (and not a very flattering picture of her either, I might add)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

p.s. Princess, Amber is on a very low dose, hense the epi pen. They believe it is relate to the bleeding wart she has on the top of her head. But she is def drinking more water. Haven't seen any loopy behavior yet except her excitement at the new toy I bought her today : ) her birthday is coming up on Feb 8 so she will get extra spoiled : )