January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: January 2012

Well, we called the vet, and he sounded pretty concerned, especially because he isn't really eating. We are bringing him in first thing tomorrow morning. Please pray that it is nothing serious.

ETA: Kar, I don't know how you dealt with Gracie's ailments. The leg, the eye...etc. They really are like children, and I worry about him like he is a human child of mine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt what a great picture of Cheerio.  She does look warm.  Yoda has eaten some of the food I put out.  It's Wellness brand and it seems to have sweet potato in it.
    Liz, I'm glad you are taking Leon in tomorrow.  Good luck. I'll be thinking of you both.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: January 2012 : No bell, no  tag, just the collar with the loop where a tag might have gone at one time, or perhaps never was there.  That was a zoom in shot from inside the house through the back door window, so that makes him look plumper than he is.  I agree, he does not look malnourished, Cat Lady and I and probably a number of devotees on other streets he visits, are all taking care of that need.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

HH is a lucky kitty. One of my friends has taken care of a stray for years-he will not go in her house though, even in the winter. He sleeps under her porch, and will eat the food, but wants no part of going inside. They must become accustomed to being outside. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

[QUOTE]Liz, you probably know this already, but Schnauzers are known for getting fluid filled cysts...it's very common and doesn't make them sick overall.  I hope that's all the lump is.  Is he drinking water?  That's the big thing if he has a little bug. tt, I wanted the recipe - maybe you could post it in CC's Recipes.  I had to go out before I had a chance to write it down.  Sounds like a fun one for Summer BBQs. tulips, any plans for a new kitty this year?  
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Hi Kar--
    Just realized you asked me about a kitten. No, no plans. DD grew allergic over the years, and so I want her to be comfortable when she visits.(or she might not come over ! only kidding! ) I do get very tempted sometimes- black cats are my favorite...maybe one of these days I will give in....sometimes I see them in the paper for the local animal  shelter, and I get tempted!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I wonder why my responses/posts have a dark border? Got to go watch NCIS--my favorite. Then probably to bed.

Good night new friends !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Everyone's own posts have a dark border, tulips.  That's too bad about the allergy!  I was allergic to cats and dogs growing up, but outgrew it, mostly.  If Gracie licks my eye it itches like mad; other than that, I'm good.

Liz, the vet is probably erring on the side of caution which is a good thing, but he ate tonight, and that mass is probably a cyst.  I'd be worried, too, but try to relax 'til you know anything for sure.  Easier said than done, of course.  Yeah, it's been rough with Gracie since we got her.  She wasn't 6 months old before she got hurt the first time - caught her ear on a barbed wire and ripped it 1/2 an inch!

DH brought me a carrot cake for my BD! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Carrot cake is an excellent choice Kar...I think anyway for you in particular...It has some redeeming nutritional qualities...and usually higher in fiber than other cakes.

BRRRRRRRRR it is cold out...Honey is bundled up to the nines....I bought him a new stocking cap...one with a Patriots logo on it...He lost his last one to a very windy day...

I think I am going to make a stew/soup for dinner tonight...something that will warm him up...Bless his soul for working outside in this weather...They are suring up a house that was hit by a car last night...no one was hurt..but the folks can't stay there for a while..or at least til Honey finishes up what he has to do and it gets inspected...Honey thinks they will be home by tonight.

Sooo...How is everyone else staying warm?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Liz - hope it turns out to be nothing, please keep us posted. 

Spencer hasn't been eating well either since we lost Buster Frown.  We have been feeding him Blue, but I just went and bought Innova in hopes that he will like that better.  We have to change it gradually though as he has a sensitive stomach.

Hope everyone is feeling better - so many colds out there!

Going to the Dr today.  I am feeling better but still get so nervous about what the blood tests will show.  My biggest fear is having to go to the hsp again.  However, I am going in with a poisitive attitude - 2012 has to be a better year!
    Have  great day everyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, Liz, please let us know asap what the doc says.

Prin, Spencer will grieve for awhile, it's totally normal.  Innova is a very good food, but I wouldn't think that it's a necessary change.  It's even more expensive than Blue.  Give him time, he'll eat his regular food.  Add a little bit of water and serve right away - not to soften, but to wet it.  Dry kibble often isn't that appealing texturally for a lot of dogs who will inhale it if there's a little water added.  Gracie is that way.  We went through a lot of dry food and thought she hated all of it until we learned this little trick from her kennel owner/trainer.

Best wishes with your tests.  You did very well over Christmas; I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

AFM, I've got an hour or so before I need to leave for my Worcester haircut.  Then, to Trader Joe's since I won't be going to the chiropractor this week due to the Monday holiday.  No big plans other than that.

My Cutco knives, which come with a lifetime of free sharpening, are super dull, dangerously so.  However, I learned it takes 3 - 5 weeks to get your knives back from the free sharpening!  So, what to do...  Well, I saw a Cutco kiosk at the Natick Mall when I was there for Christmas, and they advertised "free IN-HOME sharpening!"  The Cutco girl called last night, and she's coming on the 9th - I'm so happy!  Can't wait to use SHARP knives, again.

Have a great day, everyone!  Stay warm. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Good luck at the doctors appointments this morning, Princess to you, and Liz to Leon.  Like Princess said, it's 2012, it's got to be a better year!  Will you have to wait for the blood results?  Called my DIL last night and she ended up having to have a root canal yesterday morning.  Painful even with the novacaine, she said, but nothing like what she had experienced the night before.

Just checked news and the temp is 11 out.  Heard the oil burner going on all night long, thank goodness.  Kar, you may want to be hooking into something warmer than the wood stove if it stays these temps, it must take so long for the stove to get the cold out of the house.

Started my morning with a delicious 3 egg omelet with pepperoni and shredded Mexican cheese, and a hot hot cup of coffee.  Hit the spot.  Cheerio has hit the register in the toyroom and I imagine will stay there until the sun rises enough to warm her favorite bed, and then only if I'm in here.  She tends to follow me from room to room and settle down in whatever room I'm in.

Hadn't brought down the tree decorations box yet, and probably will get to that today, either that or the usual purge of bureau drawers.  I love to clean out cabinets and bureaus.  Closets not so much, because I usually end up putting most of the stuff back in.  I have a hard time throwing out jackets etc., even if they have a tear, because 'they'd be good for when I'm shoveling snow' - am I ever shoveling snow anymore?!

Just wanted to check in before I start the day, even tho my resolution is to 'start my day before getting on the computer'!  I just don't want to get hung up here early on, because then my good intentions slide out of sight.  Have a good one everyone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Lots of posts I missed.  Glad you had a happy birthday Kar and how nice of DH to buy you a carrot cake.  Yum!  Winter, Yoda may just be be a picky eater.  They do get spoiled.  I find Tigger is my picky eater.  I buy Friskies and I try to buy both Tigger and Boo's favorite.  But sometimes I see Tigger not eating because it is not HIS favorite.  Oh well, then don't eat is my motto.  Dry food available all the time, so he is not starving. Tulip I had a black cat Bandit. She was so funny and one of my favorite for sure.  I have had 3 grey, 1 orange and 1 black.  Princess I am keeping my fingers crossed your test results are fine.  When I lost Bandit, my other cat Maggie would not eat and went around the house crying and sniffing the air.  Saddest thing ever...  when I got Tigger later, she tolerated him but never got close to him. They def have emotions and go through grief IMO.  Icer, poor hubby working outside. No way I could. I froze on my commute today.
    tt, what an adorable picture of Cheerio!!  Have a good day everyone and stay warm!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, your post just came up - love your new tag line!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Well not sure he likes the Wellness food, he ate some last night, but hasn't again.  I'm waiting to hear from DH if he ate it before he left.  I will try another brand tonight and see if that works.  PC good luck with your blood test and Liz good luck to Leon on his appointment. Kar, that's sweet that your DH got you a carrot cake. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

icer, I missed your post this morning - thought prin's was the first of the day.  Yes, I do love carrot cake; not sure it's healthier, really, but who cares, it's my birthday! :)

tt, no worries about us with the stove.  It does take practice to get it set up for super cold nights, but here's the process.  Let house get down to between 62 - 64 at 5:00.  Fill the empty stove to the brim, and turn the damper down so it doesn't get too hot too fast - let it burn as slowly as possible.  When it's been at 450 degrees long enough to make room at the top, add more wood, keep damper in the lowest position so you don't burn the house down.  By 8:00 you'll have a stove full of red hot wood.  Pull the catalytic converter so the smoke is reburned.  This brings the temp down to about 250 - 300.  The house is at 67.  At 9:00, turn off converter, add more wood to the top, let come up to 450, pull the coverter at 10; the house should be at about 68 - 70 degrees by then.  Go to bed with a stove completely topped off with red hot wood and the catalytic converter on.  8 - 10 hours later, the house will be at about 64 and there should be plenty of coals at the bottom to start the morning's fire.  Took some practice!  I anticipated questions about how we manage with it so darned cold and took these photos at 10 right before we went to bed (the wood is actually touching the cover) and this morning:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

One other photo before I race off to the shower to get ready to go to Worcester.  Don't tell Gracie I posted it - she'd be mortified.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, what a great picture of her, she looks sooo comfortable and warm.  :) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG!  Talk about completely relaxed and uninhibited!  So cute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Just got back from vet. The lump is from his rabies vaccine he got last week...silly me! The vet thinks that he just simply does not like his food anymore, so we are switching brands entirely. If he doesn't start eating normally in 5 days then we will go back. Vet said a dog can actually go 7 days without eating. Anyway, we have had him on Blue since we got him. Anyone have any other suggestions for brands of food. I would like an all-natural type, like Blue.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Puppy was a picky eater, too.  We switched his food once, which helped, and now I add a tablespoon of wet food to his kibbles at every meal.  Between the smell (stinky!) and the texture, he dives right in.

ETA:  (Liz, saw your post after mine).  I kept his same kibble brand, but use a different brand for the wet food.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Liz, I'm glad Leon is ok.  I don't have anything to help you with the food as I have a picky kitty.  :)  But I'll probably change his kibble to something better for him if he doesn't take too the wet food. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Now waiting for RDG to have a fit - LOL

[QUOTE]icer, I missed your post this morning - thought prin's was the first of the day.  Yes, I do love carrot cake; not sure it's healthier, really, but who cares, it's my birthday! :) tt, no worries about us with the stove.  It does take practice to get it set up for super cold nights, but here's the process.  Let house get down to between 62 - 64 at 5:00.  Fill the empty stove to the brim, and turn the damper down so it doesn't get too hot too fast - let it burn as slowly as possible.  When it's been at 450 degrees long enough to make room at the top, add more wood, keep damper in the lowest position so you don't burn the house down.  By 8:00 you'll have a stove full of red hot wood.  Pull the catalytic converter so the smoke is reburned.  This brings the temp down to about 250 - 300.  The house is at 67.  At 9:00, turn off converter, add more wood to the top, let come up to 450, pull the coverter at 10; the house should be at about 68 - 70 degrees by then.  Go to bed with a stove completely topped off with red hot wood and the catalytic converter on.  8 - 10 hours later, the house will be at about 64 and there should be plenty of coals at the bottom to start the morning's fire.  Took some practice!  I anticipated questions about how we manage with it so darned cold and took these photos at 10 right before we went to bed (the wood is actually touching the cover) and this morning:
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, they're off the CC board and leaving us alone, so I think it's best if we don't encourage them in any way to retaliate.

Are you settling in back at home now?  You certainly came back to some cold temps.  How was the weather in Texas?  It must have seemed strange to be away on both Christmas and New Year's.  I'm sure you had a wonderful time, but as they say - there's no place like home.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, is the stove the only source of heat you have or use in your house? Stay warm, just saw it feels like 2 degrees with the wind chill near Worcester!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

[QUOTE]  Happy 40th Birthday, Kar!   And a Happy, Healthy  New Year to everyone.    I have been lurking for a few months, and was never quite sure how to jump in.  Figured it was a good day to !        
    Posted by tulips1954[/QUOTE]
    Welcome Tulip, happy new year, enjoy all the talk...ss

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

[QUOTE]Of course, it's sauerkraut!  I, of course, have no belly fat to get rid of, but I'll eat it for health's sake (LOL)!  Butter, Mexican mix shredded cheese, and then a healthy dosing of sauerkraut! - Will it ever finish baking? Welcome Tulips, always good to see someone new join us.  
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

tt, I love Baked Potatos and I also enjoy Sauerkraut, but together???  Just a plain jane I guess.ss