January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: January 2012

SS, I guess I feel the same about sauerkraut as I do about dill pickles - they're both great alone, but added to most any dish add a special something.  I just had a dollop of sauerkraut on top of my regular salad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    I expected to get back on the forums yesterday, but no luck. Was busy with laundry and got called to the office for some important stuff, that could not wait. Besides, I felt kind of out-of-it. It is hard to get back after such a lovely time we had.
    I have skimmed through all your posts. Boy, you ladies have been busy, and it sounds like you all had a great Christmas, whichever way you celebrated it.
    I am sad to hear, Gracie had another accident. Hopefully that will be it for this year. But it could have been a lot worse, and it sounds like she is healing well.
    Icer, my DH is giving your DH company today. Today of all days he needed to be outside for some inspection. I bundled him up good - and I told him to come home for lunch. I will make some nice hot soup for him.
    Good luck w/ your appointment, Princess. How is mom? Any more nose bleeds? I am sure she must have loved to be able to have Christmas in your home.
    November, I hope you are feeling well and that the morning sickness has gone away.
    Sorry to hear, Amber - that you are still struggling with your cold. It's going around - everyone seem to have it and not being able to get rid of it. But you are doing the best you can. Onion syrup and chicken soup. In the winter time we up our Vit-C too. Drink a glass of Emergen-C (a powder you mix w/ water) every morning. Plus when we do come down with a cold, like we did just before we left for SA - several times a day. I didn't get a chance to learn about your stalking incident, but please do be careful - there are lots of lunatics out there.
    Congrats with your standmixer, Winter. Mine is black too. The only thing, I don't use it for, is whipping cream. I find it very hard to control. All of a sudden you will have this hard mass of over whipped cream. I still use my handheld mixer for that. Don't put yours too far away.
    tt, I don't like your New year's resolution, not to come on the Forum first thing in the morning. I am so used to wake up to your cheerful Good Mornings. With you new computer chair, one would think you would want to.
    Good for your dad to brave the plane trip and the security, mm. I just hate going through the security. Such a pain.
    Thought of you, SS - when shopping one morning at Sur la Table. They had a lovely salt and pepper shaker. Santa (salt) on his sledge (pepper). Now, I wish I had bought it - for me.
    Liz, good "the bump" turned out to be nothing. Maybe the rabies vaccine made Leon feel sickish - and that its the reason, he is not eating.
    Excited to see a new poster. Welcome Tulip!

We had a wonderful time in SA. Of course the highlight was to spend Christmas in our son's home. Son and DIL couldn't do enough to keep our traditions going. Aebleskiver, gluewine etc. For our Christmas dinner on the 24th, DIL made a pork crown roast with a delicious apple stuffing and DS put two ducks on the rotisserie on his grill. The most fantastic duck, I ever had. The skin was so crisp and the meat flavorful and juicy.
    On the 25th we went to DS' in-laws, and later in the week we went to friends' home for an open house to welcome home their son, who was one of the last of the troops coming back from Iraq. It was very emotional. As much as he was thrilled to be back - he felt sad for the people they left behind without the protection of the American troops. In his opinion it's not going to work.
    One morning we went on a tour on the Toyota plant built in SA a few years ago. The make their trucks there. The only fully automatic car manufacturer in US. It was totally amazing. It takes 23 hours and 8 minutes to manufacturer a truck from scratch. All done with robots. Including stamping the metal to painting and assembling, fill up and fully inspected. When the truck leave the plant, it is ready for the customer. And they spit one out every 63 seconds.
    Alamo is famous, but there is really not much left to see. So another day we took  a trip to one of the old missions, that has newly been restored and opened to the public. Beautiful place and interesting so see how the clergy and the Indians lived together 400 years ago. It has a very lovely church, that is still in use today.
    Sat morning the boys went target shooting (shooting is big in Texas, as you probably can imagine), while DIL and I went to a huge farmers market. Lots and lots of lovely fresh greens and veggies, plus all sorts of other stuff. You would have drooled - like I did. And so cheap! A huge bunch of parsley or cilantro f. ex was only 29 cents. And they busted of freshness.
    Except for the 24th - where is was freezing cold and pouring - the weather was nice. We could eat lunch out every day. And late afternoon, we had a cocktail outdoors near the pool, but with their gas heater on. The sun was out every day. The temp in the daytime was mid 70, but it turned cold at night.
    It was quite a shock to come home to this frigid weather. We expected it, but it felt a lot colder than anticipated.
    I missed you all a lot and happy to be back - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is anyone else having trouble getting into individual postings this morning?  I get to the forums page alright but when I click on an individual posting get a blank page with the little blue circle circling.  Have gotten out and back in several times before actually being able to read a post. - Maybe it's a "resolutions fairy" reminding me that I'm not to get hung up on the computer this new year!

ETa:  when I clicked to post this, it threw me out again to that blank page, so if I don't see you again this afternoon - you'll know I'm taking care of cleaning out bureau drawers, as I should be - but only because I'm being forced!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo it sounds like you had a wondeful and fun trip.  I went to SA once and I thought the River Walk was simply beautiful.

tt, I haven't had problems yet today.  Knock on wood. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

He is being so funny right now. I went out and bought a new brand (Nature's Balance) Lamb and I also bought this sausage that you can use a cheese grater to grate over the food, also made by Natures Balance. I gave him a tiny bit and he is eating it....sort of eating, then backing away then going back for more. He is a funny guy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

testing for blue dot circling

eta I'm not havin trouble...as of this moment

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, I thought of the stove info as fodder for attack, but like tt says, they're leaving us alone, and I thought you'd find it interesting how involved it is to keep this place warm with just the stove.  Although, liz, we do have oil heat as a backup; we use it to heat our hot water primarily.

Liz, that's great news about the bump and that he's not avoiding food for any reason other than pickiness.  If Gracie didn't like Blue anymore we'd switch to Innova, like Princess-cal just did.  It's very high quality and in the same price range (although a bit higher) than Blue.  HOWEVER, please try adding 1/2 a cup of water to the Blue before you switch to something else.  The fact that he is eating a little and turning away with other food makes me think it's the dryness all the more.  It made ALL the difference in Gracie; we thought she was a picky eater, too, but turned out it was all about the dry texture.  Don't let it get soft, just add the water and serve.

Pingo, what a great trip!  Lovely that your son and DIL are carrying on the special family traditions; so many times those get lost in our busy generation.  Interesting about the Toyota trucks, one a minute!  They should be cheaper, lol. ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, I have been having problems getting in.  Just gets hung up.  I finally got in through Chrome.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo your trip sounded amazing!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's with my Chrome that I'm having trouble, Amber.  That's all I use for BDC now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

So weird tt.  It seems ok for a while and then issues.  Have you talked to Cheerio about "being above the influence yet" ? LOL!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]So weird tt.  It seems ok for a while and then issues.  Have you talked to Cheerio about "being above the influence yet" ? LOL!!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

I tried to but she stopped me with, "I already know all about that, Ma".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I just had my leftover slow cooked pork with egg noodles for lunch.  I think the pork/onion mixture is so much better re heated. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Stubborn little beauty that Cheerio : ) I spoke to Tigger and Boo. They rolled around the floor for a while laughing......  caught a picture... they are so bad...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter,

You have my mouth watering.  Can you post that in recipes when you get a chance?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, you have me practically falling out of my chair laughing!  You come up with the cutest, funniest cat pictures!

ETA:  I've sent G.T. down to have a look/see - he could use a chuckle in his work day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I love finding funny pictures, especially with animals.  They crack me up too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio has followed the sun into the l.r.  Little does she know that it's also shining in this room's window right on her favorite bed to take a nap on.  She sat in l.r. with me watching Y&R while I mended G.T.'s knitted Christmas stocking that my mother had made.  We still fill our stockings at Christmas and this year I tried to jam in too much and broke a stitch, creating a run.  All mended and ready for next year's onslaught!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

DD still has the stocking from when she was 5.  A friend of mine made if for her.  Can't believe it is still holding up too!  I once commented I was going to get her a new one and she had a fit : )  I love when I am watching TV and then realize I have Amber snoring next to me and the boys sitting on the back of the couch behind my head.  So cute..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yup, our animals love their moms.
    How are you feeling today?  See any improvement?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I am a little better.  Just a hacking cough but I guess that is the norm. I am suppose to be going to NH with 2 friends this weekend.  One of them owns a second home down there and has been bugging me to go.  I guess it is a lot of fun and she is having her neighbors over for a party.  I let her know I was sick yesterday but she said I should be better by Friday and still wants me there.  I haven't been away in a while. I will leave Friday night and come back Sunday afternoon.  If this cold continues to get better I will go. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds like a good plan.  I'm sure by Friday you won't be contagious, and getting away with friends will be good for you.  Do they know all that is going on in your life?  You know, if you feel good enough that you can drag yourself into work, I'd certainly push myself to go on that week-end.  A week-end of laughter can't do anything but help heal.   Will DD feed animals?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber and anyone else that would like it, I posted the pork recipe.  Enjoy.

Cute pics Amber. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just was over there - looks good, like something I'd like to try, Winter.  Thanks for posting it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I def want to go and DD will stay at the house.  She wants me to go to, thinks it will be good for me.  I am going to go now : )  Nice to have something to look forward to after the last week!  Winter, thanks so much for posting it.  I have a folder on my computer for all recipes I get off here and add to the recipe book I made for DD.  This one is a keeper.