January 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: January 2012

I think you'll love it tt.  I'm sure you could half the ingredients to make two chops. I make 4 and than have one for lunch :) DH doesn't do left overs. 

ETA:  I serve it with egg noodles and put some of the extra sauce/onions over it all. :) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Now you've got me drooling.  It's so funny how in sinct (sp?) we all are on this thread, in regards to food.  When I shopped Monday I stopped and looked at egg noodles, and then decided against it - haven't bought them in a year or more.  I love them, but just didn't have anything in mind to put them with.  Now I do!

ETA:  How's your stew coming, Icer.  You mentioned it this morning so I took some stew meat out of the freezer and have it simmering now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Too funny tt.  I too am in the mood for stew...I'm thinking I'll make it Sunday. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ambergirl, even if you aren't at 100% by this weekend at least you won't be contagious by then.  And, I bet you'll be well enough to have a great time.  DH was probably at about your stage of cold at Christmas, and he had a blast in NH for the couple days we were there.

Mmm, Winter, that looks good, too.  Maybe I should add my pork chop recipe, so quick and easy.

Just got back from a walk with Gracie.  I've been trying to go every day since I decided to lose 10 lbs.  Tomorrow, I have to weigh in here...it hasn't gone so well with NY's and my birthday, but I think we're going in the right direction.

It's so cold, but I was toasty for our whole 4 mile walk:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"The Spy Who Came in from the Cold"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Too funny Kar!  But you have very pretty eyes : )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good one tt!  Ha! Ha!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that's perfect. 

ETA:  I agree with Amber about your eyes. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

hee hee hee, tt!  Cute caption!  I was thinking, "Siberian Dog Walker."

Thanks, ambergirl. <blush> 

Off to the bank with Gracie.  No, I'm not going in dressed like that, lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Now this I could live with and be very happy Sealed

"All About Chocolate"

If you get melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly.

Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.

Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It will take the edge off your appetite, and you will eat less.

If you can't eat all your chocolate, it will keep in the freezer. But if you can't eat all your chocolate, it may be a sign of a deeper problem.

Store your chocolate on top of the refrigerator. Calories are afraid of heights and will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves.

Equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate make a balanced diet.

The preservatives in chocolate will make you look younger.

If not for chocolate, there would be no need for control-top pantyhose, and an entire garment industry would be out of business.

A nice box of chocolate provides your total daily intake of calories in one place.

Isn't that handy?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

" Store your chocolate on top of the refrigerator. Calories are afraid of heights and will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves."

LOVE that one, LOL'

ETA:  forwarded that on to a few chocolate loving friends.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber that is great.  :) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

OMG Amber..too funny..I like the calories are afraid of heights....Just like you did TT@?@

I didn't end up doing the soup/stew...I needed some sup[plies so I went with mac and cheese..through in some greek yogurt..bacon and some salsa that I was chopping up anyway...can't wait til Honey gets home..I let the stove go out and can't get it started...Wow..Its 4 and still pretty light out...good news!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The supper you came up with sounds pretty good to me.  I tried Greek Yogurt for the first time today, as an inbetween snack.  It had peaches in it, but was really a little too sour (not sure that's the word I want), but different, from regular yogurt.  Don't think I would buy it again, but I can see where it would be good in mac and cheese.  My stew smells so good, even tho there are two of the sorriest carrots you ever saw cut up in there.  Put them on my shopping list for next week, as well as egg noodles and some pork.  I'll be a week behind the rest of you with your pork dishes, but that's alright.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Amber, now I want chocolate!! And, these pregnany cravings don't help!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

In Response to Re: January 2012:
    [QUOTE]icer, I missed your post this morning - thought prin's was the first of the day.  Yes, I do love carrot cake; not sure it's healthier, really, but who cares, it's my birthday! :) tt, no worries about us with the stove.  It does take practice to get it set up for super cold nights, but here's the process.  Let house get down to between 62 - 64 at 5:00.  Fill the empty stove to the brim, and turn the damper down so it doesn't get too hot too fast - let it burn as slowly as possible.  When it's been at 450 degrees long enough to make room at the top, add more wood, keep damper in the lowest position so you don't burn the house down.  By 8:00 you'll have a stove full of red hot wood.  Pull the catalytic converter so the smoke is reburned.  This brings the temp down to about 250 - 300.  The house is at 67.  At 9:00, turn off converter, add more wood to the top, let come up to 450, pull the coverter at 10; the house should be at about 68 - 70 degrees by then.  Go to bed with a stove completely topped off with red hot wood and the catalytic converter on.  8 - 10 hours later, the house will be at about 64 and there should be plenty of coals at the bottom to start the morning's fire.  Took some practice!  I anticipated questions about how we manage with it so darned cold and took these photos at 10 right before we went to bed (the wood is actually touching the cover) and this morning:
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Boy, Kar--you have this down to a science ! That is quite a job in itself, but well worth it, I would think! Enjoy your carrot cake ! My favorite !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Marriage is the only war where
    one sleeps with the enemy.
    Tommy Lee

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep
    her.
    Lee Majors

After marriage, husband and wife become two sides of a coin; they just can't
    face each other, but still they stay together.
    Al Gore

By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a
    bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
    Socrates

Woman inspires us to great things, and prevents us from achieving them.
    Mike Tyson

The great question... which I have not been able to answer.... is, "What
    does a woman want?
    George Clooney

I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me.
    Bill Clinton

"Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a
    restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and
    dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays."
    George W. Bush

"I don't worry about terrorism. I was married for two years."
    Rudy Giuliani

"There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic
    banking. It's called marriage."
    Michael Jordan

"I've had bad luck with all my wives. The first one left me and the second
    one didn't." The third gave me more children!
    Donald Trump

Two secrets to keep your marriage brimming
    1.. Whenever you're wrong, admit it,
    2. Whenever you're right, shut up.
    Shaquille O'Neal

The most effective way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it
    once...
    Kobe Bryant

You know what I did before I married? Anything I wanted to.
    David Hasselhoff

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
    Alec Baldwin

A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong.
    Barack Obama

A man inserted an 'ad' in the classifieds: "Wife wanted". Next day he
    received a hundred letters. They all said the same thing: "You can have
    mine."
    Brad Pitt

First Guy (proudly): "My wife's an angel!"
    Second Guy: "You're lucky, mine's still alive."
    Jimmy Kimmel

"Honey, what happened to 'ladies first'?" Husband replies, "That's the
    reason why the world's a mess today, because a lady went first!"
    David Letterman

"First there's the promise ring, then the engagement ring, then the wedding
    ring...soon after.....comes Suffer...ing!
    Jay Leno 

......just a joke! Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I can't seem to reply to most of the individual comments.
    Pingo--your trip sounds wonderful. You said your DIL made "aebleskiver". What is that? Apple something? The Toyota plant must have been fascinating, and amazing.  My last car was a Camry, and I did love it. Only drawback was when I needed an exhaust system, it was thousands of $$ due to the car was built in CA, and subject to CA emissions rule, for some reason.
    Amber-hope you feel better-  colds are certainly making the rounds this year. I think you will be OK to go away- have fun ! Tigger and Boo pictures are TOO CUTE !
    Gonna check out the pork recipe- would be nice to have something different other than baked pork chops!
    I wore gloves today for the first time today--I don't mind the cold, but hate snow and icy roads !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: January 2012 : Boy, Kar--you have this down to a science ! That is quite a job in itself, but well worth it, I would think! Enjoy your carrot cake ! My favorite !
    Posted by tulips1954[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it took me 3 years to get it down.  I'm repeating the process right now for another super cold night; so far, so good.

I think carrot cake is my favorite, too, but a close second is a moist chocolate cake with butter cream frosting! 

Ambergirl, those chocolate sayings are awesome, but like the others I'm craving it, now. 

RT, got a chuckle from your list, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

[QUOTE]Now this I could live with and be very happy "All About Chocolate" If you get melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly. Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want. Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It will take the edge off your appetite, and you will eat less. If you can't eat all your chocolate, it will keep in the freezer. But if you can't eat all your chocolate, it may be a sign of a deeper problem. Store your chocolate on top of the refrigerator. Calories are afraid of heights and will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves. Equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate make a balanced diet. The preservatives in chocolate will make you look younger. If not for chocolate, there would be no need for control-top pantyhose, and an entire garment industry would be out of business. A nice box of chocolate provides your total daily intake of calories in one place. AD FEEDBACK Isn't that handy?
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]
    Amber. I am a chocoholic....my Mom used to work in Walter Bakers Choc. in Milton, she brought candy home every day (no I/m not fat, right tt?) I had lots of friends...I have a magnet on my fridge that say "I never met a chocolate I didn't like"  ss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: January 2012 : I remember we could hear the 8:00 whistle from Bakers Chocolate when I was little.  And smelling the chocolate when driving by. YUM. When they closed, I remember people got cocoa beans and used them in the gardens like mulch. They had that beautiful painting La Belle Chocolatier. (sp?) They are all apartments, condos now- very charming. A lot of the old parts of the buildings- beautiful exposed bricks and beams.  Still seems funnny not seeing the silos there.
    Posted by tulips1954[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: January 2012 : Thanks, it took me 3 years to get it down.  I'm repeating the process right now for another super cold night; so far, so good.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Did you look into a pellet stove Kar?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=KH_BG_HF_Wood_Pellet_Stoves&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&locStoreNum=2611

I prefer a real wood fire in a fireplace.....but not a big source of heat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

RT, DH actually built the house and had it all appointed before he met his wife so I was not part of the decision process.  But, I do know he chose a wood stove in all its messiness and difficulty over a pellet stove for one big reason - pellet stoves need electricity to function - our neighbor has one and had to borrow our generator to not see his breath in his house during the last storm.  We are in the Worcester hills at 1000 ft elevation and are very apt to lose power numerous times a year.  We have a generator and are in the process of getting one wired in to the house (an electrician's job by law), BUT, it's nice to have an absolutely guaranteed source of heat.  Another reason he chose a wood stove is that he actually enjoys taking down the trees and chopping/stacking the wood.  It's an annual task he looks forward to.  We have acres to harvest as well as neighbors who periodically need trees removed.  That's an expensive proposition unless you have a neighbor willing and capable of doing it for free!

ETA:  A fireplace is nice, but when we use that, like you say it's all ambiance, no heat.  The damper needs to be open, of course, and that creates a cold wind.  The ONLY place it's warm in the whole house if we have a fire in the fireplace is directly in front of it.  The bedroom gets down to the 50s.  Too cold for the ambiance of the fireplace to, er, pay off.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all,

Time for my weekly weigh in.  It's not as bad as I'd feared having a mediocre job of watching what I've eaten during NY's and my birthday.  But, I've lost 1.8 pounds since I first asked for your help with accountability last Thursday.  So, 8.2 lbs to go by Feb 29.

Getting ready to go East today to have the annual bi-birthday celebratory lunch with my dear friend.  Leaving at 9:45.  Yay!

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Princess, how did you make out at the doctor's yesterday?

Warmer temps, so definitely heading out to get a few things taken care of.

Kar, have a nice lunch with your friend.

Chat later.