January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: January 2013

Good morning,

An oatmeal morning, for sure.  Will finish off with a nice cup of hot coffee once I get a wash thrown in down cellar, and the trash up and out.

Winter, I'd love to be on the sidelines Weds. and see all the kids lugging in their "people".  Still strikes me as a nonsensical project, other things could have been done that referenced the book they read, but I guess they have their reasons.  What happens to these "people" once the kids are graded on them?  I don't think GS has ever had to do anything like that at OLA, or if he has, the parents just haven't mentioned it.

Pingo, bittersweet day for you, I'm sure.  You have had such a wonderful visit with your boys tho, that those memories will keep you warm until your next visit.  I'm sure there'll be a few tears shed on their part too.  Know they must love their mom and dad and that they look forward to the visits as much as you.

Hats, you really have a busy life.  Quite a pace you keep up.  I've always been a "homebody", should have been born back a century ago, on a farm, in the country, making things out of scrap material, and braiding rugs and knitting afghans to keep us warm!  Of course all the baking I do would have fit right in too.

Hoping to run out for a few errands once the temps get up a bit higher, late morning.  Do like my hour or two out mornings.  May make the gingerbread dough and freeze it for "men" later in the week.  Will certainly do that sometime over this weekend.  Next unpleasant chore is to fingernail scrape all those pesky stickers off goodies in Christmas baskets.  Marshalls used to use a sticker that pealed off so easily, but now it's a scrape project.  Have the kids stockings done and filled, and G.T. and partner's filled too, but now the 5 baskets.  May bring one down this afternoon and scrape away while I watch Y&R, which, btw, is getting very good.  Getting so I love that Adam, Icer.

Ok, trash guys will be here before I get mine to the curb, so over and out.  Hope you had a nice birthday, Kargiver.

Thanks, mm, Kargiver and Hats for mentioning the "poem", or rhyme as I call them.  Certainly wasn't my best, but I was in a hurry to get it online to show mm how happy I was that she is back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pointless, time consuming school projects always irked me.  I was an A student and was more than happy to work hard in school but hated that carp.  When I complained my mom always told me the same thing, "Play the game, no matter how ridiculous it seems, to win."

tt, so nice you still have "Christmas" to look forward to not having had to miss it for being ill.  I bet the whole family is excited to not have all the festivities behind them, too.

the rhyme didn't seem hastily written at all, very clever and sentimental.

pingo, sorry to see your sons go today...hugs!

Woke up with a full blown cold after having a faucet style runny nose yesterday.  Yay.  I drowned my sorrows in a secretly stashed cupcake that SIL brought for NY's.  It definitely improved my mood if not my stuffy nose, lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"drowned my sorrows in a secretly stashed cupcake that SIL brought for NY's.  It definitely improved my mood if not my stuffy nose, lol."

Sweets will do that for you! lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm hastily making a pot of tea before I wolf down the remaining 4 cupcakes since I don't think eating 5 would quite make me feel 5 times better...although, one never knows until one tries........ah, well, there's the teakettle, just in time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm hastily making a pot of tea before I wolf down the remaining 4 cupcakes since I don't think eating 5 would quite make me feel 5 times better...although, one never knows until one tries........ah, well, there's the teakettle, just in time.

[/QUOTE]

From first  hand experience I can tell you, if you do that you'll feel sick to your stomach afterwards -

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I saw on TV you can remove those pesky stickers w/ mineral oil (even cooking oil). Just saturated a cotton ball, leave on for a couple of minutes and they will come right off. In more difficult cases you can use nail polish remover. Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you, Hats. I will make a point of reading that article.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the tip, Pingo.  I'll try a little Wesson on things I think it won't leave a stain.  Nail polish remover I won't try, because I think it would remove any colors on pkging too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tea is deterring me from giving myself a stomach ache.  Still riding the high from the ONE cupcake, happily.  

GL w/the stickers - a frustrating task.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I suspect the parents will be carrying in these "people" inside the building. But I wish I could watch outside while it happens. I think after "people" just go home, which is what we want. We have these hands that are a Halloween decoration, that come up from the ground...well they fit perfectly with the costume, so I did tell DS that I at least want the hands back. Yoda is not a fan of the person, he gets up too it and sniffs it and runs away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hey Winter - you could have the whole class bring the people next halloween and scatter  them over the lawn!  Then send pictures to the newspaper - ....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

edited - wish they would reinstate the "delete post" button.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Too funny hats. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Out and about and got half my errands done.  Hair will have to wait until next week, and Trader Joe's also.

Picked up a couple more things (extras I spied) in Marshall's, as well as a nice gift bag for DIL's birthday present.  Now to decide which baskets these little extra tidbits should go in!  Michael's is right in the same mall, so stopped in there too.  Home to lunch on cottage cheese, boiled ham and cheese, with a sweet gherkin, and now topping it off after returning a couple of phone calls, with a cinnamon donut.  Have any of you tried Koffee Kup variety donuts from Vt?  They're pretty good for a boxed donut.  S&S carries a few boxes.

Too funny about Yoda and "the man", Winter.  He's just getting used to all of you and here you introduce someone else into the house!

Not all that warm out today.  Every time I go out I come back in with a sore throat.  Didn't have my mouth open out in the air, but boy, it's sore now.  Course that reminds me, forgot to pick up the honey losengas in S&S.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Omg, I forgot how miserable a cold really is...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Yes they are.  Flu is very bad this year!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

As much as I'm whining I'm fairly sure this is not the flu, thankfully...I don't feel THAT bad, lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Oh no I am pretty sure you would know if you had the flu!

ER's are packed with sick people.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I discovered Koffee Kup donuts in a VT gas station on the way to Canada.  (Of course, as soon as we get into Quebec we stop at Tim Horton's.)  Market Basket has KK and when they are on sale I buy the Maple glazed ones.  So good.  Of course the MB donuts are pretty darn good too. I don't boether with Dunkins now - since they took out the trans fats they taste like - I can't describe it but they break down into a gritty slime in my mouth....

Wondering if I will have the energy to go to MB tomorrow morning to get donuts for the family before we break up the after Christmas party....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

this double posting bit is annoying

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Can't believe I left dishes in the sink last night, never do that.  Must have gotten distracted with a phone call.

Gingerbread dough to make and freeze today, and a thorough cleaning of the room off the kitchen where the long table is set up.

Roofer came yesterday and spritzed the ceiling once more.  If this doesn't completely clear it up, he will repaint it.  Bleach smell is sooo strong.  Put a small dish of vinegar in there to absorb some (can't afford to pour my expensive vanilla in a dish to use as you suggested, Pingo).  Have kept door closed, and shortly after I did, went looking for Cheerio.  The nut had snuck in there when I was closing the blinds.  Good thing I thought to check on her, I'm sure the strong bleach fumes would have done her some harm.

Still no signs of Harry.  I hope it is because someone has taken him in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Yes, tt, that stuff they use is pretty strong. A leak stain is very difficult to get rid of. It will show up again. If I were you, I would ask them to paint the ceiling. It won't cost THEM much. One guy for a couple of hours, and they probably already have the paint. But it will cost you big bucks, if you decide to have it done later. Just my take on this.
    I too hope, someone has taken in Harry during the cold weather. Or maybe the roofers upset him, so he found another place to have breakfast. Just hope he is still around, and nothing has happened to him.
    Nice to wake up to a sunny morning with decent temperatures. I had a very restless sleep last night. Always do when my family members are traveling. Just spoke w/ UK son. He arrived safely, and are now at home in his apartment. So a nap later this afternoon will be in order.
    I have to do some major grocery shopping for the two of us. Now that all the "heavy" eating is over with, we need to get back to what we usually eat and drink. Not that we were not eating healthy while the kids were here, but DH and I live quite simple every day. Want to get back to our daily morning juice f.ex.
    Also have to go to Costco to pick up some meds, and I have an extra gift to return. One we didn't use.
    Hope you are feeling better, Kar. A cold is a miserable undertaking. Go and buy yourself a chicken and make yourself some home made chicken soup. That will chase it away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I have three boxes of chocolates here - one of the expensive ones that DH gave me.  At some point I will open that and we will each eat one piece each night.  One small one of dark chocs which I will save for an emergency  gift....and one of inexpensive chocs that I will take to some meeting as a treat....but I wish people would not give me chocolate candy!  It's so hard to resist. I too am hoping to return to simpler suppers after all the excitement of the holiday food.

Tonight I am making that salad that you tried, Pingo.  We all went out to eat last night so salad is in order.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I made American Chop Suey last night, and there is plenty to reheat for tonight's.  Have the ingredients on kitchen table for my gingerbread men (after I found the recipe that I had filed under the "breads" section!)  Watchng Millionaire Decorators - love it, so men will have to wait. Will freeze the dough and make probably Friday, whenever GD can come over to scarf them.

Filled the birdfeeder and I'm sure there are deer tracks out there in the snow.  Have some old, really old, but not moldy, tangerines, and will peel them and put them up the back of the yard. Know they love apples, not sure about these, but I'm sure some animal, at least a squirrel will enjoy the fruit treat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hat, I also have several boxes of chocolate given to me as hostess gifts. None of us likes chocolate. Couldn't even send them home with the kids. LOL
    I will bring one to our office; I know it will disappear, before I unwrap it. But what about the others? Saving for an emergency gift? How do you save them? Can you freeze them?