January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: January 2013

Good morning everyone. Chilly today, I should turn the heat up. Glass UK son arrived safety Pingo. Tt, when should I be over for a gingerbread man?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here!  Here!  You can send your unwanted chocolates here, ladies!  I'm so desperate for chocolate that I just finished off the remains of some choc chip bits!

Gingerbread men won't get made until Friday, Winter.  Dough only, is getting made today and then put into freezer before Kargiver gets wind of it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

74 days till Spring. Let's hope it goes by quickly. Ok tt, I'll be over Friday night for the gingerbread man. I too will take some unwanted chocolates.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wish I knew, where you are, tt. Would bring it all over to you. I am sure, you are the wrong person to ask, if chocolate is freezable. LOL
    I have kept chocolate before in my cold pantry for an extended time. It is fine for eating, but the color turn greyish and is definitely not usefull as a gift.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, how is your "guy" coming along? Don't you just hate those impractical projects? I am hating yours already.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Today we are doing the regular homework that was given. We will get supplies for painting, etc., then work on it tomorrow. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tangerines are peeled and up back.  Definitely hoof prints in the snow, plus some hugh paw prints.  Not sure what those would be.  Funny, because I'm up a couple of times during the night and always look to see if I see any shadows or movement.  Now I have to scrub and scrub to get the citrus smell off my hands before I work with the gingerbread dough.  Just regular spicey gingerbread men for us, no citrus.

It's quite nice out.  Wish I hadn't planned my day for cleaning and dough making.  But, I've got to stick to my plan.  Even have distant hopes of possibly taking everything out of the china closet (crystal cabinet really) and washing and polishing that with new doilies added.  That's at the bottom of the list and in all likelihood won't any more get done than the other times I have planned it!

ETA:  As long as I was cleaning out the fruit crisper and had to wash it afterwards, took everything out of fridge and cleaned that thoroughly too.  Now for a polish of the outside and that appliance will be done.  Top tends to get skipped over - because I'm short - but GD's husband is a tall one and I don't want him saying, "You should see the top of Nana's fridge!"  Did the stove/oven yesterday while roofer was spritzing ceiling in toyroom.  He's a talker and would keep coming out comparing stories of he and his brothers to my 4 boys - they are all about the same age and grew up here in town, but at the opposite end, so only knew each other from high school.  Back to work -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did someone say cookie dough?!?  Don't worry, tt, too sick to go out today so your "men" are safe. :)

Pingo, you can freeze chocolate.  that white/gray bloom is ugly but harmless.

Made turkey soup yessterday from the stock I did the day before from the turkey we had on NY's with SIL.  Yummy.  I wonder if it's as good for a cold as chicken soup...?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Kargiver.  By the sounds of your posts yesterday, thought you were on the mend.

It's really nice in the sun, if you feel well enough to just step out in it for 15 minutes or so.  Is DH home so he can take care of Gracie's walks today and tomorrow?  That, you shouldn't do.

Ingredients are still on table, I've polished fridge and stove, even tho I had cleaned the burners etc yesterday, hadn't given it a waxing.  Haven't gotten to room off the kitchen, but not too much I really have to do in there, only a couple of pieces of furniture that gets waxed.  Clearing off fridge threw out some older saltines and remains of some rice cereal.  Birds are really enjoying that.  Noticed my Minnie cookie jar I keep on top of fridge had a skinned knee, so got out Lilly's paints and touched that up.

Have some real life mysteries on, and go in every once in a while and sit down and watch that.  Waiting for a container of frozen apple crisp to thaw enough to dig into.  Dough will get made at some point today.  Good thinking on my part, because then Friday I can just do the fun part of rolling out, cutting out, and baking.  Making the little gingerbread men this year because a single batch would never make enough of the large gingerbread men for everyone.  Our family has grown.  Uses 7 cups of flour just for one batch, so that's akll I want to get into.  -  Back I go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ugh, unfortunately, I'm only on day 2 of what has become a nasty cold.  Just showered and feel warm and clean at least.

I'm watching the 50th episode of Restaurant Impossible; they are visiting places they hopefully got back on their feet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I watch that sometimes too.  I like this true mysteries.  Is on every Sat afternoon.  TLC.

Roofer just stopped by, will give it a coat of paint.  I asked him to wait until after next week-end and our Christmas.  He'll give me a heads up call next week.

Darn apple crisp is still frozen pretty solid.

Appliances look good with a coat of wax (Fuller Brush)  - it's been a while, I guess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, great! Re: the coat of paint. Sounds like a real good company, that did the work for you.

---Darn apple crisp is still frozen pretty solid---

I know, you don't want a microwave oven, but this is a case, where it would be valuable. The crisp would have been in your stomack a long time ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Took pumpkin's mom's basket of goodies in with me while I watched Dateline Real Life Mysteries, and got the stickers off, and just now put the raffia in and bagged and tied it up.  I'm so pleased with it, it's bursting at the seams.  Hope the others will look as stuffed.  If not, there's still time.

Heading for the table now and that dough.  If I wait too much later, getting all the ingredients out on the table will have been for naught.

BTW, apple crisp now rests in my stomach, a little icier than I would have liked, but still good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Still on couch...your dough is safe, although, I'm pretty hungry.  Thinking about ordering a pizza.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Supper is over (Cheerio and I are both 4-5 p.m. diners!), dishes in dishwasher which is swooshing away.  I'm so proud of myself, got so much done today.  Can hardly wait to bring down another basket tomorrow and get it ready.  There are only 2 that I'm not sure are as full as I want them.  We'll see.  There's still T.J.'s to hit anyway.

Hope you are feeling better as the day goes on, Kargiver.  This cold virus is the pits.  I was washed out for 3 weeks.  Only just now getting back energy.

What are you plans this week-end, Pingo?  Rest, I would think, would be part of it.  You've been on a merry-go-round for a few weeks now.  Don't want to get worn down.

Speaking of which, how are you doing, Princess?  Hope you're still feeling good.

Winter, wish we had the photo capability so we could see your finished man/boy.  You know, it might be a hardship for some families to have to buy the necessary clothing/shoes to make this thing.  I wonder if the school ever thought of that.  I remember when my boys were in school, most every penny was figured down to how it would be spent.  Those were lean years with a lot of stretching recipes and finding fun inexpensive things to do.  Think that's how G.T. and I became "pokers".  On a Sunday afternoon used to go to one store similar to CVS (can't think of name right now), and poke around, each of us with probably a dollar to spend.  We'd come home with some "treasure".  He and I both still enjoy the "hunt".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, I'm feeling marginally better but that is 100% due to the alka seltzer cold fizzies turning the faucet off for now.  Managed to wash the sink dishes and get my own dishwasher swooshing.  Not much but felt proud enough to do anything.  Oh, yeah, and got the fire going, again, just now since dh was out with the neighbor on the snowmobile.

it would have been a big hardship on my mom to do that project with me, tt, for sure.  She would have had to ask her parents for help.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

testing...my last post vanished

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

TT.....I posted once b4 ...I love the Y&R lately

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Surprised to see a coating of snow on the back walk, and a few flakes coming down now.  Have the TV on, but haven't actually heard today's forecast, just saw in the 40's and 50 one day this week. Yahoo!

Icer, Adam seems to have turned into that guy you can go to to "take care of things".  No one gives him a fair break, but he steps in and takes care of problems.  The writers are really putting some meat on the bone.  That Victor is really an evil man, isn't he?  Hope Phyllis isn't written out by following her son in his move.  I love her character.  They could get rid of Neal if they want, his popularity with me was really based on when his wife was alive.  She was a firecracker.

It's going to be a slow starter to the day for me, first time in a long while I haven't had to get showered and dressed as soon as I got up, in anticipation of roofer stopping in, or a need to get out early.  Going nowhere today, just leisurely working on the baskets and the room they'll be in.  Ahhhhh.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Since it's Epiphany, I de-decorated the tree this morning as a surprise for DH so he won't have to do it before he takes it down and stores it.   It's so pretty just with the lights that I won't mind if it stays up a while.

My schedule for this week is cram jammed full!  What about you guys?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That was a nice gesture, Hats. I get emotional, when we de-decorate our tree, and I do love the tree with just the lights. Won't be until after tonight though. We will light the tree for the last time, have some Christmas music going and have aebleskiver and gluewine. I froze some and saved some gluewine in the refrigerator. Just needs to be heated up.
    I am sure my week wll be busy too. Haven't really been to the office, while the family was here. I have the first payroll of the year to do, and that has to be recalculated, due to the tax increase and some raises. Plus I have a stack of bills to pay. I may go in later today. DH already left. We are still "under construction", reorganizing the office. They are moving walls and doors etc. giving an open feeling. It will be nice when it is done, but in the meantime is is a mess. I will still have my private office, so I can lock the door, even though it is much smaller.

Last night the weatherman did promse a dusting this morning, so I wasn't surprised. We will have another dusting tonight, but then it is becoming warmer, and hopefully we wil get rid of the snow piles. Sounds like you are well organize for your Christmas party, tt. How did the oil work on the stickers? Re stickers. I believe I heard that in MA, the stores do not have to put stichers on the individual products any longer - like they do now. So that should help you next year.

Kar, I hope you are feeling better this morning. i started on E-mergenC. Though I had something coming yesterday, but feel ok this morning. Will still do the Vit-C though.

We all know, what the Winter family will be doing today. Lots of work, that could have been used for a much better project.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, Pingo and Winter, if half the time spent on this project had been spent in actual reading, how much could have been learned.  And how much more could have been learned with a project that the child could do himself in the saved time. 

This is an example of something that I have been meditating on recently; people in the wrong professions.  For example, a lot of people are being urged to go into scientific professions because parents and others believe that there are many opportunities, job security, and prestige.  The result are bad scientists like Annie Dookan (head of the state drug lab) and those people at the compounding pharmacy who are in it for money and ignore the first principles of medicine and science; cleanliness and 'first do no harm.'  Teachers too, are not people who cannot stand not to teach - like a couple of 80 year olds I know who are coming up on 60 years of teaching not because they need the money but because they can't not teach - just people who do the minimum and assign the children these stupid projects that they get from 'professional development' seminars without considering whether they are worth while.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Pingo, you probably told everyone before, but. what is aebleskiver and gluewine??  ss 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

SS, I will be happy to tell you. It is a special Christmas treat from my home country. Aebleskiver are small round doughball made in a special pan. We eat them with strawberry jam. We only do them at Christmas time from the 24th until Jan. 6th. You can now buy the special pans here, but the stores have gone overboard and with their aebleskiver cook books, suggest to make them in all kind of concoctions (cheese, bacon, corn etc.), which they were never intended for and makes me cringe. Yuck!
    Gluewine is a kind of a mulled wine. Simmer a pot of water with sugar, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardemom pods and orange and lemon slices. Then turn off and add a bottle of red wine. Even amount of wine and water. Delicious on a cold night, and great for a cold.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, nice descriptions.  I wouldn't have known that WS took the aebleskiver concept too far, lol. 

Your post reminds me, I never answered about the cranberry recipe - I haven't tried it yet, although it sounds elegant, because I haven't bought TJ's cranberry juice in quite some time, now, having bought cranberry pills instead.  They do the trick for far less $$.

Sections
Shortcuts