January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: January 2013

Welcome Jeepers. It's nice to have new posters. tt, not much to report on the people. I just drop DS off outside of school now, and he walks inside. I think Kar has 1950's types of places around her, not 50 places. :) I think your GD will love the package of gingerbread men and frosting if she's unable to make it today, how very thoughful.

ETA: I keep asking about the people as well tt. :) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Welcome Jeepers. It's nice to have new posters. tt, not much to report on the people. I just drop DS off outside of school now, and he walks inside. I think Kar has 1950's types of places around her, not 50 places. :) I think your GD will love the package of gingerbread men and frosting if she's unable to make it today, how very thoughful.

ETA: I keep asking about the people as well tt. :) 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification, Winter - lol  I went back and re read her post and somehow missed apostrophe s after the 50!  That makes more sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning everyone, I wasn't able to post for the past couple of weeks because of the flu. I'm going to catch up as I do have some time free this afternoon. O.K., so I'm supposed to be scrubbing down the fridge, and cabinets, but I do need a break now and then. We sent D.D. off to visit her Grandad with a bit of a cold. When she arrived there she was "All Better". D.H. and I however were miserable with severe upper respiratory symptoms. D.D. is home and back at school, and D.H. and I are now well. T.G.. I did have to stop at the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions (careful not to come in close contact with anyone) It's a small family owned pharmacy, and when asked I said I was the one to pick up the medicine because I'm a mom and wife and I don't feel well, D.H. is on the verge of explaining himself to St. Peter. (I'm kidding,kinda) I wish it were warm enough to just open up all the windows to freshen the air inside. I'm taking a break at noon to catch up when I have some lunch. D.D. brought back some interesting local jams, as well as candy from her visit. Maybe some tea and toast with jam for lunch. My stomach is still not up to a full sandwich. b.g.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg, soup, soup, and more soup, accompanied by saltines and ginger ale - until your stomach is better.  Cabinets and fridge can wait.  Believe me, it will still be there when you are feeling better.  Just has taken me a week to get my house back in order, and there's only me here.  Don't know how stuff accumulates, but it does.  Glad you're on the mend.  Did DD enjoy her visit with her Granddad?  Must have been hard for them both without her Grandma.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If you can't have sugar or artificial sweeteners try seltzer water.

Polar, Poland Springs seltzer water (or whatever brand you prefer) is good for a queezy stomach.

Stay hydrated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi t.t.. You're right, the fridge and cabinets can wait, and they'll still be there tomorrow. I regret not making homemade chicken broth to freeze. It would have been so handy these past few weeks. b.g

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Oh, and thanks t.t for remembering her Grandmom. She and her Granddad went to visit her grave, and then went to Mass together. I'm sure it will be a wonderful memory for her to take away some of the sadness. She worries about him being by himself without her grandmom, but knows when she visits him that he does have lots of people around him.b.g.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Nice to see your post again, BG. Sorry, you have been ill, but good you are on the mend.
    Welcome to the Chat, Jeepers. I don't know, why you have to apologize. Except for a few posters everyone is welcome here. For a reason they are not.
    I love my slowcooker, even though I don't use it much anymore after I got my pressure cooker. But it is the best for cooking beans and for my Boston baked beans. And nothing better than a slow cooked pot roast. I also use it to keep my gluewine warm for serving. I agree with you, tt - chicken does not do well in the slowcooker. I never had good luck with that.
    Kar, I am happy for you, that your BIL decided not to stay. Like tt said, no migrane this morning. Enjoy your Birthday lunch with your friend. Not the Average Joe? I am sure he/she must be surprised to see your new slender body. Yea!
    TX son and DIL are both miserable. Down with the flu. Definitely something they caught on their way home. They were fine when they left here and the incubation time is just right. The rest of us are still ok, including UK son. I am washing hands like crazy and I use  hand sanitizer. TJ's have a nice one, that doesn't dry out your skin. I placed several bottles in our office and made sure DH keep one in his pocket. Saw in the news, the gas pump handle is the worst as far as carrying the virus. Wear gloves. Other ones were the ATM machines, the elevator button, the escalator rail and door knobs. They also suggested to clean your cell phone with a sanitizing wipe.
    Have lots of errands to do today. Some of which I have postponded for too long. Better get going. Have a good day and stay healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

excerpt from from pingo's post: 

Quote)  "I don't know, why you have to apologize. Except for a few posters everyone is welcome here. For a reason they are not." (end Quote)

Response to above quote: As far as I know this is a public forum, everyone is welcome to post/join in,  unless they are told differently by BDC.

It probably helps if you are a foodie, you may notice a pattern that whenever any subject discussed here becomes serious, everyone starts talking about food lol ;)

BTW: Hand sanitizers do not protect against the norovirus.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, did your son and DIL not get the flu shot? Three here at work got the flu and these three people did not get the flu shot. My company has someone come in to administer them in October. 

bg, nice to hear from you, but sorry you have been under the weather. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to beastsgirl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh, and thanks t.t for remembering her Grandmom. She and her Granddad went to visit her grave, and then went to Mass together. I'm sure it will be a wonderful memory for her to take away some of the sadness. She worries about him being by himself without her grandmom, but knows when she visits him that he does have lots of people around him.b.g.

[/QUOTE]

Nice that your DD could see and be reminded that her grandfather has loving people around him.  What a wonderful experience for her to be able to visit and be surrounded by all that love herself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Forgot how many this little gingerbread boy makes!  OMG, I'm cutting, baking, cutting, baking.  But, I know they all will want a bag to take home, and the regular size guy would be cutting it awfully close.  I'm taking my time, sitting down in between, don't want to be exhausted when/if she comes mid afternoon.  Wish son would give me a call and let me know what is going on, but this is typical him.  Tells everyone, "I'll give you a call".  Do they ever hear from him?  No.

Having to snip the raisins in half, sometimes 3rds for the eyes and belly buttons.  In the oven, the little guys puff up tho, and are so cute.  Ordered the cutters from Little Fox Factory.  Also have a little bigger one of a gingerbread man running, plus the large guy.  House smells like Christmas.  guess what I'll have in half an hour or so? lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Unless you never leave your house it is hard to avoid all that is going around.  Yes, you can take precautions and not head to an overly croweded place or visit another sick loved one in the hospital (many places are limiting/banning vistors) but other than that it is hard.  Just keep hands washed at all times and avoid touching face (eyes, nose, mouth)!

Good idea to keep well hydrated during this time as well.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No signs of a frosting helper, so men are in bags, waiting to see what happens tomorrow.  The scraps, I baked along with the men, and those are mine, all mine!

Putting the last couple of things I had picked up in the appropriate stockings, and came across a Russell Stover strawberry marshmallow heart I had picked up for myself.  Sweet and good.

Dreary day, looks as tho it's cold and damp out.

How did your lunch go, Kargiver?  Did you get all your errands done, Pingo?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I'll be over for a bag of gingerbread men. :) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, everyone!  

Sooo stuffed and happy from another fun traditional bday lunch with my friend.  Yup, we get the birthday free stuff at NYAJ's.  

JC, you are warmly welcome!  You made your own lasgna noodles?!  Impressive.  I've played around with homemade pasta, but have yet to master it, and it takes me ALL DAY to make a pasta dinner, lol.  I'm a foodie, too, and, like you, learned a lot the hard way...is there another way?!  I'm addicted to the Food Network and one time my mom was visiting and said how I do things like the chefs on TV - I told her it's no wonder, I learned from watching them!  (She never cooked, really, more than was necessary.)

tt, 50 places, that's so funny!  :D  We do have quaint old Maine style roads and shops and such around here, though.  Have you seen the Chronicle episide on the Quabbin?  That's us.  Any word from DIL?

bg, sorry you've been hit with the flu...ugh!  I am getting over a cold, and that was bad enough.  Welcome back!

gotta get the chores done since this morning I walked Gracie and not much else before I left.  Breakfast is still a mess...sigh, the kitchen fairy did not come while I was gone.

ETA:  JC, I had the same experience with the flu shot 15 years ago and never got one since...or the flu.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Back from running around. It is nt too bad out, tt. Looks worse, than it is. No wind today. Peter says, "Hello!" I finally got to pick up my meds. And I neded paper napkins, which they didn't have. But I still spent over $100 there. They were sampling a delicious canned Tomato Basil bisque, couldn't go home w/o it. And of course, I had to pick up our Costco chicken. So that is for dinner tonight w/ cucumber salad and cranberry sauce. Odd no one called you about your GD either way. But the men taste as good w/o the frosting.

No, Winter, they didn't get the flu shot. They belong to the group of people that say, "Oh, I don't need it." I even encouraged them to get it, while they were up here, but that was like talking to a wall. Of course they feel sorry now, miserably sorry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, I know you have told us that before. More than once. And I believe I said the same thing. Everyone is welcome to post here. So why do you keep repeating yourself ad nauseum?

Just so you know, we start posting about something so ordinary as food, in order to change the subject. I am surprised, you hadn't noticed.

Re handsanitizers. They work for me. If they don't, why would the good doc on the news suggest you use them, and that you also use a sanitizer wipe for your cell phone?

And I hope you know, there is the flu and there is the norovirus. The latter also called stomach flu.

In response to Robin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Except for a few posters everyone is welcome here.  For a reason they are not." (Quote)

Response to above quote: As far as I know this is a public forum, everyone is welcome to post/join in,  unless they are told differently by BDC.

It probably helps if you are a foodie, you may notice a pattern that whenever any subject discussed here becomes serious, everyone starts talking about food lol ;)

BTW: Hand sanitizers do not protect against the norovirus.

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be heading out soon. Not sure I'll be on tonight, we may go see a movie with DS. If not I'll pop on tomorrow. Good night if I don't come back on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@pingo, I said the hand sanitizers do not protect against the Norovirus,   I said nothing about the Flu.

I am not here in a professional capacity.  Consult your dr for specific recommendations.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I had asked Dottie if there was a light at the end of the tunnel as far as getting the "ignore" button back.  She has posted a list of those things in progress now, and future restorations/ additions under "Talk to BDC" .  Encouraging, at least, we will be getting that button back which will make life so much easier.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

JC, I can relate - I love hosting dinners because the more special dishes I can prepare the better...crazy family issues aside, lol.  I have enjoyed chatting with you in other areas on the forums and glad you are here.  Re the turkey, I have hit upon turkey nirvana and have had perfect success with it twice, now.  I've only done it with 15 lb birds, though, not the gigantic ones...not sure if those would come out as succulent.  More later - have to sign off for now, speaking of dinner...

25. This post has been removed.