January 2013

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: January 2013

Heeheehee, you have to admit that's pretty witty. ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anybody here?  

Dh took Gracie skiing, and I'm lazing around after a fabulous night on the town with SIL after her doc's appointment.  We went to Daily Catch and split (made for two) their Lobster Fra Diovoli, and it was SPECTACULAR.  Then, after 20 years of going automatically to Mike's (directly across the street), wwe decided to try a cannoli from Modern.  Um, no offense to the Modern fanatics, but that was a waste of our cannoli experience.  But, now we know.  Then, topped off the extravaganza with a cocktail from Tresca.  Got home at 10, logged the damage into LoseIt, and we fell into bed.  I think dh was asleep in front of the TV when I got home, lol, he was pretty out of it!  I'd made soup and fixed Gracie's food before I left so they survived.

If ambiance isn't high on your priority list, you don't mind tight quarters and sharing a table with strangers, and you like seafood you HAVE to go to Daily Catch on Hanover and then scoot across the street to Mike's.  We sat next to very nice folks who recommended the dish we had, and I can't wait to go again.

anything going on this weekend?  I know Pingo is off to tx for DS's birthday (40, right?) tomorrow.  What else?

~kar

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Lazy day here - did not get up until 8!  Having coffee and breakfast and working away at various tasks for an event I am organizing.

Kar - you asked about weekend plans. I'm doing some work for my art course which I am enjoying no end.  Lots of homework but most of it is just fun.  Have to go out and shop for some supplies at Michael's - stuff is on sale. 

Also need to bake for an event on Monday.  DH does not have Monday off so it will be a regular-ish day for me but a quiet one since the phone should not ring.

Tomorrow - brunch at a new place, then dinner and a movie with friends. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

JC, that book will be priceless!  Note my caveats to the enjoyment of Daily Catch (these would ruin it for my dh but enhance the experience for me and sil), oh, and add to that that while we didn't wait last night, the line was down the street last time we were on Hanover.  They have tons of amazing sounding and looking calamari dishes including squid ink black pasta.  We noted that Giacamos was packed last night and said that it must be good, lol. :)  

oh, yeah, hats, your art class!  Exciting you are enjoying it so much.  Brunch tomrrow and an event on Monday to bake for - sounds like a fun few days.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello,

GD just left.  My son called early this morning to see if I'd like to take her for a couple of hours. Over she came with 4 crystals for me that she had made from a kit she got at Christmas.  We made wowie cupcakes, and while they were baking/cooling I brought out the box of odds and ends I put together years ago for Lilly's big sister when she was around 10.  GD made a valentine for me on old piece of wallpaper, with some lace glued on, and some jewel sparkles scattered appropriately here and there.  Then she got into the box I had of the little puckered circles (forget what you call them) ETA:  Yoyo's, that's what they're called - that I had made small pillows years ago for DILs.  Decided she wanted one of pink and purple, and will pick out her own fabrics the next time she goes with her mom to Joanne's Fabrics.  In the meantime, I'll be hunting for the right size pillow to cover.

We had pasta lunch, and made frosting (which she had never done - always out of a can at her house, she said) and frosted/sprinkled the cupcakes.  Played a couple of hands of WAR and I taught her how to play Rummy, and with that Dad came in with plans for afternoon, so that was the end of our visit.  Quite a lot packed into about 3 hours, and we both had a fun time.  That's the excitement for me for the day, and probably for the week-end! lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning or actually afternoon,
    What a morning! Got up at 4 to take DH to the AP at 6. Dropped him off and was 2/3 ways home, when he called. Come back and get me. His flight was cancelled due to bad weather in Europe. None of the large planes had arrived last night. So back I went - to sit outside (cop was nice) waiting for over an hour, so they could reschedule him. Interesting, they hadn't notified him, even though we thought it was odd, he couldn't get his boarding passes last night. Anyway, he is leaving same time tmw. morning. So we have to do it all over again tmw. And I am leaving at noon time tmw., so I will have to take him, then come home for a couple of hours until a friend comes and pick me up for my flight. Or we will take the car, park it outside the AP and I will have to wait at the AP for my flight. Will decide later.
    Stopped for breakfast on the way home, then we both went to sleep. DH had 1/2 hour of sleep last night and I had maybe 2-1/2. He is still snoring away, but I had to get up and get my
    boarding passes. Kar, I am just going to visit TX son this time, while DH is away. His BD is not until April; then we will go again :)
    JC, that book will be great. Don't forget to leave it at the sign in table at his wedding - LOL. We always go to Giacomos in NE. Always a terrible long wait, but it is so worth it. And there are no place to wait inside, so bundle up if you go these days. Have never been to the Daily Catch - will definitely try it on your recommendation, Kar. Modern must be happy now that Mike's is closed. A couple of years ago, there was a discussion right here on the Forums, which cannolis were better. Mike's or Modern's - I believe Modern won with a small edge. I never had them; always Mike's.
    Hats, so happy for you that you are enjoying your art classes so much. Make me think of taking some too. When I took them last, it was like therapy for me. Sitting there all by myself getting lost in creating something beautiful, was like a shot in the arm.
    That reminds me. Kar, how are your kitchen curtains coming along? Did you ever finish them?
    Have some banana for a banana bread, I was planning to take to TX. Better bake it now, while DH is taking his beauty sleep, or it will never be done.
    Chat later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a nice morning, you had tt. A heck of a lot better than mine. LOL

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What an ordeal so early this morning, Pingo.  A miracle you found a cop at logan willing to let you stand for more than a tenth of a second.  How nice this is a bonus trip just for Mom!  Taking him early and you flying on the same day...ugh, I'd make the simplest plan possible to avoid any potential overlaps.

Mike's neon light was on and I believe I recall people being in there as usual.  I know they recently put up prices, and that made the news...no closure that I know of.  

Go for the Lobster Fra Diaviola for sure at Daily Catch - well worth the price for two.  I ate about 2 cups of the linguine and, based on online recipes, figured about 1000 calories for me.  Easy enough to account for earlier in the day by eating light and exercising which I did.

for two votes for Giacamos, that's next on our list!  SIL's next appt is in August...hm, how to score a trip in before then.......

what a great morning, tt, for you and GD.  No canned frosting can compare to the real thing.  Nice she had that experience to see that making it isn't so hard as to need to buy it instead.  I loved kits like her crystals when I was young...I was a total science freak.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh...the curtains.  Those stalled out in December when I realized they woudn't be done in time for Christmas, and I haven't had much gumption to start up again.  Need to, though...we need curtains, lol.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, that is odd. I read a large article not too long ago, that Mike retired and closed shop. Maybe someone else decided to run it now.
    1000 calories. That makes me gain by just looking at the number. Will have to wait for a while. I have not had pasta for quite a while. Even last week when I made my homey pasta casserole for DH, I stuck to my cabbage soup, when I saw how the numbers added up. I could have saved some calories, by using fat free cr. cheese and sour cream, but that would have changed the dish, which is supposed to be rich, and I knew DH would not have liked it.
    The wait for Giacamos in August will be ok. No need to bundle up. Besides there is always so much going on on that street, so even thought the wait is long, the atmosphere in fun.  Hope you will try it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Mercogliano presided over the Hanover Street bakery since 1946. His stepson, Angelo Papa, has been running operations of the bakery for several years, according to published reports.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/12/12/michael-mercogliano-owner-north-end-landmark-mike-pastry-dies/wZuoVTNSyEt04AcQJmN6KN/story.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, what a PITA for you.  I recommend the long term parking at the airport - they built a new garage and the bus stops in the garage and takes you right to the terminal so you don't even have to go outside!  It's wonderful now and much less than the cost of a cab back and forth - if you park for a week or less.  Here's the link.  And think of how much you save on gas and tolls.

http://www.massport.com/logan-airport/parking-information/Pages/EconomyParking.aspx

JC I am doing mosaics but also have been doing some other stuff - mostly paper art.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That sounds interesting, Hats.  Nice to live near a museum or college city where classes like that are available.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

1000 is a lot for me, too, Pingo, but some weeks I'm over by a thousand or even two, but it's balanced by weeks that are under by the same amount.  I average 11 calories a day away from my target which is within the margin of error for hitting it perfectly.  So, this will be an in-the-red week, but no worries, last week was enough in the green to make my net for the two weeks on target.  I agree, you can cut fat where it wouldn't matter, but where it would ruin a dish it's unnecessary and tragic.  I love food too much to ruin everything, I just eat less of the richer stuff.

maybe this should go in LoseIt, but, eh, it's what's on my mind today. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Very interesting TT.  I keep suggesting to you that you should join Pinterest there are some amazin photos of mosaics there but you could just google these naes "Carol Shelkin" Fran Stoval" and "Martin Cheek"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is that where you're finding these different projects to try?  Just scanned down and saw "yoyo's" the name of the pillow coverings I had made years ago, and had forgotten what they were called.  Thanks for that, at least.  Several other of the younger generation have suggested to me that I would love that board too.  I'm slow to take action.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Just don't associate it with your real name; use first name Toy and last name Trumpet and we will be able to find you....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the info, Hats. We have been parking at Preflight, when we take the car. It is less money than Massport and if you book on line you can use a 25% coupon. There shuttles runs constantly to and from the Airport, all hours. We have been pleased with them. Still for this trip itwould have been about $125. It' s going to work out. I will go and come back this morning, and be picked up for my flight later on and DH has booked a Lime ($50) to pick him up.

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

Pingo, what a PITA for you.  I recommend the long term parking at the airport - they built a new garage and the bus stops in the garage and takes you right to the terminal so you don't even have to go outside!  It's wonderful now and much less than the cost of a cab back and forth - if you park for a week or less.  Here's the link.  And think of how much you save on gas and tolls.

http://www.massport.com/logan-airport/parking-information/Pages/EconomyParking.aspx

JC I am doing mosaics but also have been doing some other stuff - mostly paper art.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Can't edit. Sorry for the typo. There shuttles should be their shuttles

Can't abbrivate should be. It's apparently an offensive word. LOL

Sections
Shortcuts