January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: January 2013

People that are quick to advise you to complain to animal control don't have to live there, after all these are your neighbors and you want to keep things copasetic.

If they are not receptive to your warnings about hypothermia, the only thing you can do is let the dog in if you are around and continue to try to educate them.

Calling animal control could cause major problems for them and may break down communications altogether.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, how nice that they fixed your closet pole for you. I'll be headed out in about 15 mintues. Hope everyone has a nice night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a good week-end, Winter.  Hope your son is continuing to do good with the braces.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin,
    I didn't say they should call the authorities. I said they should warn them, they would. There is a big difference.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have a great birthday weekend, especially your dinner party tonight, Winter!

I'll make it clear what peril he was in, but reporting our neighbors is not an option I'd take over letting him in when need be as robin suggested.  In fact, I'm bringing wine over when I stop by; this is a relationship of probably decades that requires care.  And, the truth is he seems to like being outside when it's not quite as cold as it was yesterday.  He is out today and seems fine.  He accompanied us on our walk and trotted home happily when we got back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The cable guy fixed our tv and Internet issues. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Robin,
    I didn't say they should call the authorities. I said they should warn them, they would. There is a big difference.

That could be perceived as a threat.  Most people don't respond well to threats.

I'll step out now, I was only trying to help.

ETA: Kar , now that I've had a couple of glasses of wine, I wanted to apologize for anything stupid or offensive I may have said to you in the past.

BTW: The Angell Vet is back!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Robin, I accept and offer the same.  And, cheers!  <clink>

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Guess what?!  I guess they really do understand...  Got a lovely thank you note and generous gift card to DD signed by Dougal. :)  I'll still go over with that wine, but maybe an explanation of his near death experience isn't quite so imperative after all.  YAY!!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Sounds good!    Do they have a dog house/shed for him, shelter from the wind and rain.  Although maybe he wouldn't use it, just a thought.

I drive by this house that has a Rottie, he's always outside during the day in a fenced in yard but often I see his head sticking out of this small shed with hay in it, and they have it up on cement blocks so that it stays dry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  He doesn't have a shelter which is why, I think, he was over here.  I keep a wool blanket for Gracie off the ground on our patio bench, and the house is south facing so it's as warm as it can be.  The bench is up against our cream colored house so the sun reflects back on the bench, too.  He didn't come to the door and ask to come in, he just found the warmest spot outside he could and tried to manage.  I only even knew he was there because the shovel is leaning against the bench and made a big noise when he jumped up there.  He seemed to be his regular happy self today despite it not being terribly warm.

snowing here...not supposed to get much, though.  

The trips' sister is turning 3 - her party is tomorrow. :)

have a great weekend, everyone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Happy outcome, Kargiver.  --  Wonder if they read C.C. ??  

We got just a dusting of snow, and when I turned on WBZ this morning it was just in time to hear the weather forecast of teen temps again today and tomorrow.  Wednesday - ah, Wednesday, we're aiming for 50!  That'll be the day I plan a lunch meeting and a little poking with friends.  When do you come back, Pingo?  Hope for your sake it's after the temps rise a little.

Have fun at the birthday party, Kargiver.

Hope you had a fun birthday celebration, Winter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Goodmorning,
    Kar, you must be thrilled for the outcome of something, that could have ended in disaster. Nice of them to thank you w/ a gift card from Dougal. Have fun at the BD party. Does she still have the teddy, you crocheted for her? 
    I am glad to hear, you just got a dusting. Still cold though. I will be back on Wednesday, and I am thrilled it is warming up by then.
    Enjoying the warm weather here. Last night, we had DIL's family over, and we sat outside until 10. No sweaters needed.
    DIL and I are going for pedicures this afternoon, and tonight we have the Brahms concert. Tmw. we are planning to visit their ranch. They have several cute baby animals. 
    Have a great weekend everyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Before and after having the ceiling painted in the toyroom, the room got a good cleaning, brightening up, and one of the things I pulled out of the closet was a painting I've now hung over the low bookcase in that room.  I bought it when we first moved here, because it reminded me of my then 2 year old son.  A young blond boy, (towhead, we used to call them) sits with an open picture book in his lap, looking out a window beside him.  It used to hang first in my l.r., and then in the room off the kitchen, and then I thought I had at one point given it to my son's wife.  We were talking about it at Christmas, and she said, "No, I don't have it."  That started me looking for it today, and sure enough I found it in the closet with some other paintings.  I think at the time I offered it, she said they really had no wall space to hang it.  I always loved that painting, interpretation could be several things - he's daydreaming of what he's reading - he's looking at kids playing outside, wishing he could be out there with them - a little sad perhaps, but I've always loved it.  Now, of course, there's a similarity between the boy in the painting and pumpkin whose grandfather is my son who inspired me to buy it.  Anyway, it hangs there now, very visible as you walk down the hall, and I've a feeling pumpkin's mom may be the next one who falls in love with it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Lovely story about your painting, tt. Glad you can enjoy it the second time around. 
    The Brahms concert we went to last night was wonderful. Such a happy evening. Today we are taking a ride to the ranch. They have several baby animals at present. Not staying over; it is work day tomorrow.
    Can't believe this visit is almost over. But like they say, all good things must have an end. Looked at the Boston weather. It is going to be nice and warm, when I get back Wednesday.
    Have a good Sunday everyoone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Pingo, I am so glad all your planning worked out...you miss the frigid cold week and come home to relativly mild temps...Thats how I would have done it .

Honey and I have been hiking our woodland areas....folks are ice fishing at the state park and at our little Island Grove...there was a local hockey game going on...

well..just thought I would type a little...off to make dinner

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,

Your mention of the hockey game made me think of yesterday when I was out filling the feeder, I thought - no sound of the sticks hitting the hockey puck down over the side on the pond - I think this is the first year that I haven't heard kids down there playing games of pick up hockey.  My boys used to live down there in the winter, it's where they all learned to skate.

Have a bread pudding in the oven.  GD emailed me for the lemon bread recipe this morning, and after I sent it to her and waited a couple of hours before asking how it came out, she answered, "Smells delicious, but I'm waiting for my little man to wake up so we can share it together".  Little man being pumpkin.  She makes most everything from scratch since he's been born, believes she has more control over ingredients put into his food.

Pingo, you've had a wonderful full vacation these past days.  A good change of pace for you and the busy schedule you keep at the office.  Hope you and DH both come home refreshed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Oh, here he is...back inside he'll come.

KARGIVER,

I'm so happy you let Dougal in; I'd have done the same!  And if they get along well, then that's even more of a reason.  Can't believe it took ONE HOUR for him to stop shivering, that's just cruel.   For other days, when it's not too cold, you can put a thick layer of newspaper (like 1 or 2 inches, seriously thick) under the blanket on the bench to provide more protection from the cold for him and Gracie.   Anyway, I just want to thank you for being so kind and good to Dougal, your caring for him makes his life much easier. And, you're right, the owners won't change anything but at least you can bring him in on these bitterly cold days - he's used to being outside so I'm sure is fine about it usually, but not when it's so dangerously cold (or hot, in the summer, that can be as bad, and I bet they don't have water outside for him all summer like they should).  Oh, how I hate to watch animals be neglected and treated cruelly by their "owners" who purport to love and care for them!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, everyone,

Had a stellar time at the party yesterday...can't believe she is 3 already; I remember when they announced they were expecting like it was yesterday.

tt, I can just imagine your painting; how nice you found it and it has a central place to be displayed and enjoyed.

CT, thanks for dropping in with your kind hearted addition to the dog saga. :)  I never did catch up with them this weekend, but not for lack of trying.  They are hardly ever around, actually.

Off to bed, all.  Have a great night,

~kar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  Nice to see all of the updates from over the weekend.

Bittersweet weekend for us.  Last week Tillie and Spencer got into another fight.  Spencer definitely started it . . but Tillie finished it.  Poor Spencer had to get surgery on his ear and staples in his paw.  Unfortunately, that was the last straw.  They knocked me over during the melee, and I broke my toe (lol).  I'm fine, but if my MIL was was there by herself, the outcome could have been tragic.

We found an absolutley wonderful family for her.  They live in the next town over from us, and have 3 girls (14, 12, and 8).  She works from home all day.  We researched their vet references, found some people who know them, etc.  They have a beautiful house, with a large, fenced in yard.

We dropped Tillie off there last night.  They had bought her toys, clothes, etc.  She'll be so happy - she was too busy with her new family to even "say" goodbye, lol.  So, I think it's for the best.  "King Spencer" is being spoiled rotten and no longer looking over his shoulder to see if he was safe.

Wow, that was a long post, lol. Back to work full time now - and ready for it!

Have a great day everyone!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Princess

So sorry to hear of your trouble with Tillie and Spencer.  That combination just wasn't meant to be.  As you say, lucky for you it was you they knocked over and not your elderly MIL.  Tillie will be happy now getting the sole attention, and poor Spencer can go back to being king of the roost.  Sometimes it just doesn't mix - that's the way it was with Cheerio and Charlie.  I know what you mean about Spencer not having to look over his shoulder now - for months, poor Cheerio would jump at the slightest noise - thinking it was Charlie sneaking up on her again.  Hope your toe (with a shoe on) isn't too painful.  At least now, starting your full time at work, you can concentrate on the job, and not have the nagging feeling in the back of your mind, wondering what was going on with the dogs at home.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Prin, what a last straw that was!  Indeed, good thing it wasn't worse, but sorry you all had to burn through that last vestige of hope in that way.  Yay for the ultimate outcome, though, for all creatures involved.  Sounds ideal for everyone.

Here were are on a cold Monday morning again, too soon.  DH just left for a long day trip.  I'm getting ready for my Monday Worcester chores, and then will return to meet the cable guy, again.  Things seem relatively OK, but they "reviewed our current features" and found that for $10 LESS a month we can get more channels and faster speed.  He's bringing out a new modem (free to borrow).

Will be making plans with trips' dad to have lunch as last week's fell through on his end due to work. I think this week looks  more promising.  

I'm strongly considering stopping on the way at the Natick Mall and getting a Vitamix.  I tax our blender every day with the smoothie I make DH, and it's showing signs of wear the last one did right before it croaked.  I figure they are $$$, but so is going through cheaper ones that don't handle our regular usage.  I'll think more about it and I'm sure I'll about have a stroke at the register if I do it, but they are awesome and we do have a legitimate need for something a lot more capable than we have...sounds like I've made my decision, doesn't it?!

Looks cold out...can't wait for the warmup.

Speaking of which, Pingo, you picked a great week to be gone and day to return!!!  We've gone through about 3 times the wood as usual in the last week.  I feel for anyone paying for it.

OK, gotta kick things into high gear and get outta here for the morning.  

Blessings!

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. What a nice, but cold weekend. tt, your painting memory is wonderful and I'm sure pumpkin's mom will love it. Princess, so sorry that Spencer and Tillie got into it again and sorry about your toe. Glad you were able to find a home for her. Kar, have a good day in Worcester.

25. This post has been removed.