January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: January 2013

I too would love to have someone come in once a month to do the "heavy" work, I have a hard time to manage. But if I have to spend an entire day with her, it is waste of my time - might as well do it myself. She was here 6-1/2 hour yesterday. Only upstairs - didn't even get to go downstairs. And when the time got around to 3, I decided to do the kitchen myself or she would have been here to midnight. LOL
    In the past, when I had someone here, I would have 2 ladies doing the entire house in 2-1/2 to 3 hours. And that was when the boys were living at home, and there was a lot more cleaning and picking up to do.
    Yes, Kar - it was stressful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I too would love a cleaning lady once a month. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

As I dumped out the floor washing water, looked up and my little appleless apple tree has buds!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Buds, oh, no.  We're in trouble if things are budding now...

gracie is crying for her walk so I guess it's time take her.  Sigh...not feelin' it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bundle up - it's a lot cooler than 40's.  Had opened the window in toyroom while I was washing floors, to get the last of the smell out.  Heater just went on - checked and house temp was down to 76, so definitely not in the 40's out.  Grey here.  See people walking by, all bundled up in winter gear.

Decided instead of the grapenut pudding that does have wheat, I'll do a dish of Spanish Creme.  He loves that, and so do I, there's no gluten in it, and it's easy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, man!  Thanks, I'll be sure to dress more warmly than I'd planned.  Good thing I didn't leave when planned and checked here first.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Glad you are feeling better, TT.  Sorry to hear about your medical problems Hats.

I have cleaning people come every other week.  I love it.  It's usually 3 people and they are here about 2.5hrs.  They do a very good job.

So glad I got my flu shot this year - sounds just terrible!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah I was watching The Drs when Boston's state of health emergency got announced...tons of cases.  And, prin, that's the LAST thing you need - I can't imagine what that would do to you.  Good thinking getting a shot.  Flu shots in the city are free, now, because of the emergency.

walked Gracie and was glad I got tt's warning; it was raw and not all that warm.  I was dressed for it, though, thanks to you!  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I too would love a cleaning lady once a month. 

[/QUOTE]

would really like a cleaning lady, there is so much with my breathing that I can't do, or if I do it, it takes me twice as long as it used to.  Today I took the curtains down in one room, dusted the walls, washed the curtains and hopefully I'll put them back up tomorrow and carpet clean the rug. I'm just 5ft. and didn't want to drag the step stool in and have to move it all around the room to get the curtains down, so are you ready??   I took the broom by the bristles and just poked the rods and as they lifted and fell I grabbed.....necessity is the mother of invention, so they say.  Anyone have a rough idea of what a cleaning lady would charge by the hour?? ss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That is inspiring, SS - great job!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A lot depends on what the going rate is where you live, SS, and the availability of people or companies that do house cleaning.  Also, what specific chores you would want done, and how big your house is.

My mystery container pulled from the freezer turned out to be turkey scraps in their broth.  Added some celery, carrots, chicken  bouillion and campanelle, for a nice bowl of soup.  Took out a couple of pork spareribs to defrost and cook in crockpot tomorrow.  Mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar glaze, maybe a can of pepsi thrown in, and the end of the sauerkraut thrown in the last hour.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Mornign everyone - yup, I'm an early bird today!

JC - My pic is of my two Boxers, who have both passed on, and one of our current 2 Boston Terriers.

Well, some very sad news.  We think we are going to have to re-home Tillie.  So upset about it.  She and Spencer just can't get along and one of them is going to get seriously hurt.  Spencer's ear got hurt last week, and of course DH had to get stiches before because of it.  There are times when my MIL is home with them - for her safety and the dogs we just can't risk it.  We've brought her to training, kept her on a leash, etc.  The problem is it just is so random.

She is just such a doll with people and kids, but needs to be the only animal.  Such a tough situation.  We will make sure she gets a good home.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, saw this coming as I'm sure you have feared the whole time, too. You gave it more than most would have, a serious all out effort.  What else can you do but what you've decided.  At least you can feel good about not giving up on it before having exhausted all training and behavior options.  I'm sure she'll be happier in a home where she's the only pet.

tt, mystery container - funny...I've got some of those, lol.  Nice soup!

bil is coming tonight...the "lovely" one.  He has an errand near us and it's a 2.5 hour drive so he's staying over.  So, I have got to get the house back in order - have let things go being sick.  And, dinner...hm.  And, as a bonus, I have no idea when he'll be here.

wasn't TLC supposed to be educational?  What am I supposed to learn from Honey Boo Boo?  Dh had Little People Big World on this morning, and I haven't changed it - the ads for upcoming shows are bizarre and marginally disturbing.

well, as you can imagine I'll be pretty busy here so probably won't be on too much.  Tomorrow I'm headed East for the birthday duo celebration lunch.  I think we've done this 10 years...maybe 11?

have a great day, everyone

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Kar - BIL is staying at your house??  Argh - you are an angel!

Thanks for your support with Tillie.  It is just so difficult.  I tear up every time I see her.  I know it is the right decision though.  Spencer and DH have already been really hurt and I thought my poor MIL was going to have a heart attack after one incident.  She was alone with them and when DH came home MIL was out of breath and shaking.  It was terrible.  I am going back to work (yeah) on 1/21 and I don't want to crate her all day, as I don't think that is a good life for a dog.  Sigh.

I agree with you about TLC.  I used to enjoy that show, now it is all just trash on there (though I admit I kinda like the show Four Weddings, lol).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Princess, so sorry to hear about Tillie.  I can honestly say I know just how you feel, because that is what happened when I had Charlie.  He abused Cheerio so that she got to the point she was peeing all over herself.  He had to go.  Alone, he was a wonderful cat and I miss him and his crazy antics to this day.  I was fortunate tho, in that when I told DIL I was taking him to a shelter that day, her mother agreed to temporarily take him, even tho there were other cats in the house.  The temporary home has lasted about 3 years now, with Charlie sleeping on the woman's head nights!  He's not the alpha cat there and slipped right into whatever spot they wanted him.  You have to put Spencer first, as I did, Cheerio.

Speaking of which, I'll just briefly mention that Harry was waiting out there this morning, for his breakfast.  Guess we're back in the old routine.

Kargiver, you've had so much stay-over company - I wouldn't worry too much about the house, but I do know exactly what you mean by "let things go" when you're not feeling good.  I couldn't believe the mess my rooms were in, and there is just me here.

What a wind last night, huh?  I always put my trash out the night before in case the trash men come before I am up, dressed, and ready to drag it out in the morning.  Got up this morning to see one of the bags had blown right on the driveway boundary line between me and the guy next door (the ones who park in my driveway).  Will be interesting to see if when he goes out to get their morning coffee, he will stop and put it back with my other trash, or just angle his car to back up around it.   Want to take bets?

Have a lot to do today, so won't dilly dally on the computer this morning.  One, well maybe, two games of MahJong, and then I'm off to the shower and getting my day started.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tillie must be very anxious with another dog around to be acting out that way...when you get sad for her think about how much more relaxed she'll be because of your caring enough to give her a more peaceful life.  And, like tt said, every creature involved will be better for it. I know you'll miss her and mourn the dream being lost to have it work out differently, though, no matter what.

re BIL you gotta do what you gotta do.  I won't go too nuts with the house, but he reports everything back to in-laws, and I'd rather not have his report be, "the house was filthy!" Lol.  And, I meant to bake something for dh yesterday, anyway, and didn't.  So, will today and we'll be able to have coffee and treat tonight.  I have a feeling he won't be here too early - nothing for him to really do.

tt, I hope your neighbor does the right thing.  I wouldn't bet on anyone doing that, though, sadly. I returned the new battery I hadn't realized they didn't install in the car (they grabbed another one not knowing it was there), and they just stared at me in disbelief that I came back with a $90 "free" battery which is how they said "most people" in their experience would have viewed it and would have just taken it.  In fact, 3 police cars were in the parking lot that day when I arrived...guess someone saw something as "free" that very day.

i noticed the wind picked up last night here around 7.  But, as for the overnight, I was completely oblivious!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a  jerk!  This window overlooks the driveway, and I watched him angle the car back in with the coffee, then walk right by my trash bag as he put his out.  Oh,  the words I'm thinking, much worse than"jerk".

Three games of Mah Jong, and not one win.  Slipping in my old age, I guess.  I'm off to start my day now, and starving for breakfast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Princess, so sorry that you are going through this with Tille. You are doing the right thing for everyone involved. 

tt I hope your neighbor does the right thing with your trash, but sadly I don't think he will. 

Kar, good luck with your BIL. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, missed your post. I agree what a jerk your neighbor is. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just ran out and put it with my other bag and gave an evil look totheir breakfast room.  Like they care - lol

English muffin in toaster, coffee water boiling, and I see Verizon truck repair signs up on the street - so glad I got rid of them - they are always working on the lines, but never correct the problem, just do a patch temporary repair job.  Nightmares when I had them for my pkg deal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Too funny about Verizon tt. We love them, previously I had Comcast and I hated them and had problems ALL THE TIME. 

Glad you gave the neighbor the shifty eye. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think it probably depends on the condition of the wires on your street.  The repair guys were always telling me that the pole wires were cracked and water was constantly getting in.  As far as I know, both companies use the same wires?  Anyway, glad you aren't getting the constant phone disruption I did with them.  Phone would be out for days.  At one point my DIL called them, spoke with a supervisor, and laid it on thick that her MIL was an ELDERLY woman with MULTIPLE health problems, and this line phone was the only means I had to reach help if I needed it!  Only time I would have let her get away with describing me that way!  lol

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, sadly I won the bet I privately made re your neighbor.  Selfishness is so rampant hardly anyone thinks anything about it, anymore.  Probably didn't even occur to him to do the right thing. 

Welcome to the chat, JC.  I agree, the audience isn't "laughing with" that family...despicable.

winter, thanks.  Strangely, I'm less anxious this time.  not that I'll let my guard down, but what can ya do.  I'm a little concerned for Gracie since the incident - would he hurt her on his brother's behalf?  Insane, I know, but it crossed my mind for a reason.  

Oh, and we heard through the grapevine that their dog has made a full recovery.  I don't feel comfortable giving any more details because I'm not 100% sure of how anon I really am, but wanted to let you know the dog is ok.

I've got to get going...I'm putting off the list and suddenly he'll be here.