January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: January 2013

I can't stand the chaos!  I make as much as I can of everything ahead and have post it notes all over the kitchen the day of...times, temps, rest times, etc.  And, if anyone tries to visit with me while I'm out there putting it all together they get nothing more than smiles and nods...who the heck knows what I've agreed to over the years...  Anyway, I have a 23 lber in the freezer.  I'm very eager to see if my method is just as successful when I do that one.  In order to avoid needing a super sized bird those last two times, I supplemented the turkey with a boneless choice rib roast.  Everyone had enough - big Italian eaters here, too - and having a choice was appreciated.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

What a beautiful sight I got up to around 7:00 - a beautiful young buck with his velvet antlers, standing under my feeder, between it and my appleless apple tree.  Wonder if he was nibbling on the buds.  I saw him go up the back of the yard and then lost sight of him.  Not sure if he jumped over the back fence, or the side one.  I picked Cheerio up so she could see him, but she had no interest at all, instead, kept telling me she hadn't been fed yet.

Night full of individual dreams and vibrant colors.  Woke up wondering if the Sunday paper had come yet, then realized with relief, that Sunday's another day away.  Seems really warm, a lot of melting to my backyard snow went on during the night.  Even tho I had turned the heat down when I went to bed, the house felt too warm.  Don't see any signs of the sun rising, a dreary grey day ahead perhaps?

Have to sic Cheerio into the bag of bags in my closet.  Woke up once during the night, not sure if the noise was rustling of bags, or rain against my window.  Checked the l.r. and Cheerio was sounds asleep, which I don't think she would have been if a mouse was anyway within her radar.  Still, I'll dump the bags out and have her check.  Worst scenaro would be for me to pull one of the big shopping bags out tomorrow for fam to put their gifts into, and have a  mouse come tumbling out!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

JC, I msde my own pasta once, Ravioli,for DH's birthday, it was good, but oh, so much work, I never tied it again.   I envy you your gas range , always had one till we moved.   I wanted to have a gas one put in, but alas, there is no gas on my lane....propane if you wnt, which I don't. Take care all and Keep Smiling. ss

tt--just about ready for Christmas??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, how gross that would be!  What did you find?  I'm afraid to ask...  I've never seen a buck in the wild even out here!  How cool, tt.  I've seen lots of does and juveniles, never a rack.  Glad you didn't sleep through Saturday, lol.

yes, warm but cloudy here, too.  Weatherman agrees with your prediction, tt, cloudy, gray day ahead  dh is out with Gracie skiing before the snow leaves us...he didn't have time to frt around - it's going fast.

bil is being remarkably decent since I've given him a little slack in the rope...not hanging himself this time.  Seems he's processing I simply do not tolerate mean behavior.

poor neighbor's dog is pining on our back steps, peering in, for his best buddy to come out and play not understanding she's out with Daddy.  So sad!

tt, is your party today or tomorrow?  Have you heard if DIL is well enough to partake?

have a great weekend everyone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, ravioli was what I tried, too, that took SO LONG!!!  It was elegant, but yikes, the work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Morning, SS.  Except for frosting  half moons, making Spanish Creme and saltine candy, pre-cooking chicken for brown rice dish tomorrow, and of course tomorrow's lasagna - I'm done.  Baskets filled, bagged and bowed, and stockings bulging.  Not worrying about the gingerbread men, if she comes, they'll get decorated, if not, not.  Just thought it would be an easy fun project for her and she does enjoy putting on an apron of mine and smearing a little here and there on it of whatever we're working with!  Too cute.  My apron must always look messy, lol.

Did dump the bags on the kitchen floor, and except for one sniff, Cheerio had no interest.  Shook each one and restacked in the holding bag, all ready for giving out to carry treasures home. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up, Kargiver.  No, no word.  I'm not calling, he may have completely forgotten.  Or, I may get a call today saying the family is down with something, or it could be that she had better things to do and didn't want to come.  I don't want to put her on the spot.  I'll be here all day anyway, so I'll play it by ear, and as I said before, if she comes tomorrow will give her a bag of them plus the frosting and tips to take home and decorate.

Nice you still have enought snow for some skiing.  Our lawns here are bare.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's quite a long "almost done" list, tt!  I hope you slept well despite the rain and vivid dreams to fuel your big weekend.  I'm sure if the whole family were sick they'd think to call.  Chances are everyone is coming, I'd hope/assume.

Glad Cheerio didn't show interest in the bags. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah, but it's an easy list.  Candy takes about 10 minutes all told, chicken tenders to saute and chop, not long at all, frosting half moons is quick and easy while I sit at the kitchen table, the most time consuming is the Spanish Creme.  Two trays of lasagna I have plenty of time to make tomorrow, since they aren't all coming until around 5:00.

Just threw a wash in so I'll have something to wear lol, and will start on the Spanish Creme.

Clearing off a bit here and trying to brighten.

Slept good despite dreams, so I'm fit as a fiddle this morning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When you put it that way, sounds easy enough, especially after a great night's sleep - YAY!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning.  JC - what color is your boxer?  They have such a special place in my heart.

Meeting a potential new family tomorrow for Tillie.  I'm so sad.  They seem wonderful - 3 young kids, live on 15 acres, Mom stays at home, etc.  However, we will be inspecting everything.  Got some other interest but they didn't like our tough questions and requests for references - too bad! 

Mom has an appt for an ultrasound later so I am taking her there and then probably out to eat. 

Going back to work on 1/21, I am so happy.  Just 20 hrs the first week and then back to full time. 

Have a great day everyone! 

P.S.  Don't wear yourself out today tt!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sounds like everyone has a busy morning. Especially you, tt. Lots of make ahead things to do, even though you say it is "nothing". I can feel through your posts, you are so excited about the party. So nice after what you went through lately, not being yourself. You are so sweet, not wanting to bother your GD or the family. I would have been on the phone a long time ago. Good you didn't find any mice in those bags. That would not have been a good ending on a nice evening, to see one jump out, and I am sure your boys would have made fun of you for a long time to come.
    I hope for you, Princess, this new family works our for you and Tillie. It would be nice, if you have that settled, before you start work again. It must be so painful for you though, even though it is in the best interest for everyone.
    Pasta makers, I tried once to make butternut raviolis by hand (MS makes it look so easy). Never again. They tasted wonderful, but the work involved, was waste IMO. The ones you can purchase at TJ's are just as good. Our DIL also tried with her pasta gadget for her kitchen aid. It broke on her first try. LOL
    Have been lazy this morning, but I am going to do my refrigerator, as soon as I get up from here. So many things left in there, from when the kids were here, that I don't have room for anything else. I am a saver, thinking I might use it later, but it just get pushed further and further back until I forget it is there.
    I might have a trip to warmer weather in a week or so. DH dicided he needed to go abroad, and TX son already sent me an e-mail: Come Mom!
    Have a good day everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Lucky you with the prospect of warmer weather, Pingo.  I can't wait for the first time I can pull the chair out in the backyard and warm my bones.

Spanish creme is made and in fridge setting.  Have a couple of washes going, only planned to do one, but overloaded it in my haste, so pulled a couple of things out and now have them in a second wash.

Just fixed an English muffin and a side dish of tomatoes and dressing for lunch.  Topped off with a gingerbread man.  This smaller cutter makes plenty for all.

What a good Mom you are Princess, making sure the new owners are the type you want Tillie to go to.  If someone didn't like the questions, that would be a red flag to me that they weren't up to snuff.  Poor Tillie will miss you all, I'm sure.  But this family you describe with the acres of land, sounds like a dog's heaven.  How is she with children?  Has she been around them much?

What are you up to today, Kargiver ?  Have a leisurely day at home?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, sounds like the best outcome is forthcoming - great news!

pingo, you aren't the only one having a lazy morning...I JUST got dressed, lol.  Your DH is away?  Great time to go to TX. :)

In-laws called last night so thrilled with their Christmas gifts (belated due to their Christmas cruise).  I enjoyed their call very much...very warm.  Not that they've been cold before, but I sense a new closeness.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Prin, sounds like the best outcome is forthcoming - great news!

pingo, you aren't the only one having a lazy morning...I JUST got dressed, lol.  Your DH is away?  Great time to go to TX. :)

In-laws called last night so thrilled with their Christmas gifts (belated due to their Christmas cruise).  I enjoyed their call very much...very warm.  Not that they've been cold before, but I sense a new closeness.

I'm sure more and more they see what a wonderful home you keep, how you put yourself out for others, and how happy their son is with you, and that's all a parent wants, really, for their child to be happy and healthy.  And that "child" can be 20 or 50 - I speak from experience.  We never stop wanting the best for each of them.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies so much. I choked up at your thoughts, tt.  And, JC, I can relate - I'm so happy for your and your new life!  I, too, had a horror show first marriage. So rude of your MIL to say such a mean thing! Do you have a date?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great plan!  I vote for Italy - you're on your honeymoon the minute you say I DO. :)  Big money and stress saver to not have a wedding.  Just get professional photos taken so you have a wedding photo if I can suggest.

oh, and I forgot to say yes to a cannoli, please.  ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In the absence, ahem, of a cannoli, I made almond meal spice cookies for dh.  Yummy!  And, I ended cleaning the oven, too, because after two turkeys it's a big, smokey mess.  Preheated it for the cookies, and smoke rolled out...so flipped it to Clean instead and preheated the toaster oven for the cookies.  Didn't want turkey spatter smoked spice cookies, lol.  So, got the windows open, fan on, and wood stove cranked.  Not too bad in here since the stove stopped actually pouring out smoke.  Had to be done, and it least it's warmer out than it could be.

loving the maintenance budget of calories and sure I can maintain on it since I've been there for 5 weeks, now.  Got to lick the beaters and have a couple of cookies and still have enough of a budget for dinner!  And, a beer.  Maybe I'll have that, now...  Man, when I was on 1100 a day I had none to spare.

whoa, I've got to tend the raging fire!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I vote for Italy too, JC. Been there 7 times. That is one of my favorite countries. But why not the City Hall and then straight to Logan and say, "Arrivederci"? Even if your fiance doesn't have his dual citizen ship, you could still go for a visit. Italy does not require visa for Americans. I am excited for you.
    Kar, good day to clean the oven. I should have done that too, while I was was doing my refrigerator. Wish I had thought of it. Smokey almond cookies? A newcookie could have been born. Then you could have gone to the Sharks, and become famous. Speaking of the Sharks, did you see yesterday's epesode? They were very generous last night.
    You have no idea how much stuff I got rid of today. I just couldn't look at another slice of ham. Besides, the ham have outlasted my inginuity of making disguised suppers. And DH asked me not to serve him Baked Beans for a while. LOL . My refrigerator looks empty, but that is good, since it looks like none of us will be at home in a week or so. I have plenty frozen way, so we won't be starving.
    Had one of those cans of Costco's Tomato Basil soup for lunch. It is really, really good. And I am very picky as far as canned goods is concerned. I am making Chicken Pot Pie for supper from the leftover Costco chicken we had last night and I made "ice cream" earlier. Used the filling from the Lemonade Pie, I have the recipe for. Poured it in a loaf pan instead of making the entire pie. Really easy recipe. Have frozen leftover raspberry sauce to go with it. 
    Have a good evening everyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great job with the fridge, Pingo.  It spirals out of control periodically here, too.

pretty warm out...haven't bothered with the stove, but maybe a small fire would be good to get us from 65 to 68 then let it go out.  

Went out to eat last night and had a lovely goat cheese spinach salad with grilled chicken.  Dh had chicken said and asked me to find a good recipe for it.  It was incredible.

not much on the docket today, but I do need to box up the Christmas decorations I have piled up ready to go and take down the naked tree.  Oh, and the cookies came out good so I'll make another batch of those.  It only made 16.

tt, thinking of you and your big Christmas gathering.  Hoping DIL is well enough by now and able to come.

good Sunday everyone

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Drizzly out here, but nevertheless, Harry was waiting, and now gone.

Checking to see what time local pizza places open on Sunday, and am hoping today they will be open a little earlier than their usual 4 p.m.  Imagine there'll be a rush of calls to get them before the start of the game - tho maybe not, some may order 6'ish.  Nice leisurely day for me, only 2  trays of lasagna to make, and the brown rice/chicken/mushroom/dish.  Buffet table is set up, extra throw pillows brought down for the couch, I'm all set.

Your suppers always sound so ingenious, Pingo.  Love the idea of putting the lemonade ice cream in a loaf pan to slice with the raspberry sauce over.

My freezer is at last emptying out a bit.  Container of half moons, pie, ice cream roll, have taken up a large part, space-wise.

I think G.T. and partner will be down mid afternoon - I think he will be bringing a tall cabinet for behind my kitchen door.  He had bought an unfinished one for his butler's pantry, that fit in perfectly in a space between his fridge and counter/cabinets.  Finished it white, but with a wood grained top.  We had measured when they brought me home, and same size would fit perfectly where I have wanted one for years, and give me space for all those casserole/lasagna dishes.  At Christmas time he had a hard time finding one, but altho he hasn't said anything, I have a feeling he found one and it's refinished.  Not the best day to be changing around things in the kitchen, but, hey, he's gone to a lot of work, as usual, to give me something I want.

Came across a jar of strawberry/raspberry jam on my pantry shelves, that they had brought back from Switzerland .  Popped that open to have on my English muffin this morning, but it certainly is different from our jams.  Went instead to some blackberry jam from The Biltmore in NC.  Delicious.

Paper waits on front porch, so will leisurely enjoy that in nightgown and robe, no need to rush around just yet.  Second cup of coffee coming up.  Hope you all enjoy your Sunday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up, Kargiver - have you ever tried Ina's chicken salad?  I do mine the way she does hers now, large chunks of chicken.  Love the looks of a summer salad plate, chicken salad on a bed of lettuce, with a ring of grapes around the bottom.  Looks so pretty, and the bites of grapes intermittently along with the chicken is delicious.

DIL who was sick, is 100% back to normal now, but was talking with local DIL who has a frozen shoulder.  So painful.  Had a cortisone shot, but no script for the pain she has been feeling in the 2 days since.  Hoping today when she woke up (sitting up all night because that's all she can manage), the work of the cortisone has died down a little and she is more comfortable.  She was calling, believe it or not, to see if I needed anything for tonight.  I laughing told her, "Yes, of course, we'll all be waiting for your tray of variety of delicious cookies you make!"  I'll be pleased if she can just come and stay a bit.

Sections
Shortcuts