January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Re: January 2013

In response to kargiver's comment:

Prin, sounds like the best outcome is forthcoming - great news!

pingo, you aren't the only one having a lazy morning...I JUST got dressed, lol.  Your DH is away?  Great time to go to TX. :)

In-laws called last night so thrilled with their Christmas gifts (belated due to their Christmas cruise).  I enjoyed their call very much...very warm.  Not that they've been cold before, but I sense a new closeness.

Could be they see how you tolerate their son (BIL) and without saying anything they appreciate it.ss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, the calls start - son who we set this up around, only day/time he could make it - sounds as tho he is coming down with the flu, or at the very least, a stomach virus.  Got out of shower to a message he had left - nausea, diarrhea, aches - "but I'll play it by ear and see how I feel aroung 5:00-5:30.  No thank you, will be my message back.  Message also said GD who was invited to decorate cookies just began to feel herself Friday.  No mention of cookie decorating, so I do believe he forgot all about it.  Now, what to do - give others option of rescheduling or go ahead with the rest.  His brothers will be bull, since it revolved around when he with his "busy schedule" could make it, and they do delight in calling him, "Ma's Special Delight"!  However, it is flu season, and these things happen.  I'll call him and then make some calls and see what others want to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, that's a really good possibility...thanks for mentioning it.  I believe my handling of bil has had ramifications beyond my direct relationship with him, and if that's true they'd definitely figure it out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, tt - I figured you had to be in the clear with everything a GO since you hadn't heard before now.  I don't know what to suggest...it's just unfortunate, and there's no great solution.  Hoping it all works out for the best, and I don't blame you for saying stay home with a stomach bug!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Vote with others is "all that can come, come".  I opened up a can of worms by asking if they would rather do it earlier, so the check is on now, especially with the baby's nap time, what time would be best - 3'ish or leave it at 5:00.  Water is boiling for lasagna.

P.S. Son admitted he had forgotten all about asking GD is she wanted to come over to decorate gingerbread men - -

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

argh, how unsettling to have the time up in the air on the day of!  But, what can you do but go with the flow...it'll work out.  Too bad about the decorating plan - could that still happen?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    tt, you are such a good sport. Being all ready to party, and then thinking of rescheduling. I would have been in tears. Well, if you have started the lasagna already, you can always freeze them. I would also have asked the maybe-stomach-flu person to stay at home. No need for the entire family to get sick. But if you reschedule it, GT will still come today, if he has the cabinet for you, you mentioned. Don't you think? Hope all works out for you.
    The "icecream" came out so well last night, so that is the way it is going to be from now on. Slices w/ raspberry sauce on the top.
    Re the jam from Switzerland. In Europe we have two kinds of "jam". One thick like our jam. It is called Marmelade. And another very thin, which we don't have a name for here, as it doesn't exist (I have never seen it), which is preferred there. Maybe they brought back one of those. You can always use it to pour on your ice cream.
    Kar, I have mentioned this before. TJ's has a wonderful chicken salad. They were serving it as tasting bites, and I bought it on the spot to see the ingredients. Now I make my own. It has chicken chunks, celery, cranberries and walnuts. Delicious! I am going to make some for lunch today from the rest of my Costco chicken. This is our 3rd meal from a $4.99 chicken. I am frugal LOL.
    DH left early this morning for the office and I will be leaving shortly. If I am going to TX, there is a lot I have to finish before that. Quarterlys, end-of-the-year, W2s, 1099s etc. They all have to be done before the end of the month.
    Hope your party takes place, tt - and princess, I hope your are pleased with the home for Tillie, you are visiting today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, I have leftover chicken I roasted when I made butternut chicken soup.  Maybe that salad is it's fate, too, thanks!  I do love a good chicken salad, and I've had TJs - very good, indeed.

just made myself a brunch grilled cheese, though, and it was delish!  Weighed the cheese, scanned the bread, measured the butter - ended up being 220 (bread) + 165 (1.5 oz cheese) + 35 (butter) = 420 of ooey gooey cheesy deliciousness.  With a budget of 1700 that's not bad. :)

sounds like that "jam" might be more like what we call compote?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That sounds right, Kar - compote. Can you buy that in the stores; i have never seen it. Isn't it something you make at home? I make my "jam" like the Europeans do. Less sugar and the berries stays more or less whole, so you can taste the goodness, when you bite them. Yum!
    In Europe they do open sandwiches and use knife and fork, when eating, so the "jam" doesn't spill off the bread. Maybe that is why it is not popular here, since we are more like "handholders". LOL

Ps. What do you mean by scanned the bread?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

3:00 it is.  The baby will be fresh from his nap, and I will not have started to peter out yet!

2 lasagnas are made in fridge.  I'll do the brown rice/muchroom dish at 2:00 and saute the chicken tenders separately, so that GD who is a veggie, can have some of that too if she wants.  Actually the whole guest list is falling apart.  Lilly's mom and dad are working so her grandma and papa will bring her and her sister and brother.  Intown son's son is working til 3:30, and dau until 4:30.  When I found that out wanted to leave time at 5:00, but they said no, 3:00 was better for them - again, I think all the guys want to be home for the game and relax in their own homes.  Asked son who is sick if his wife would come with 2 kids and he said no, not unless  he came  (???)  Everything seemed fine Christmas morning, so I don't know what that is all about.  I'll call and let them know the change of time, in case she decides to drop by.  well, we'll be a merry little group, anyway.  I do enjoy Lilly and her sister and bro, and I know they enjoy coming here.  And, everyone enjoys little pumpkin.

Enjoy your chicken salads, ladies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hi all--TT, with all your work, I hope everything goes well for you today!!!

Going to run up to my mother's for a visit, then come back to get snacks, dinner ready for the game. Chicken thighs-yum.  Usually I just do EVOO, S&P, and a sprinkle of garlicc powder on them. May do some Italian seasoned panko today for something different.

DS wants crawfish-our S&S has them. Never had them, but will be good for a snack to try them out.

We have been lucky here so far--no sniffles, or anything. DH got the flu shot, but DS and I did not.  I get the shot some years at work, but have never had the flu, so I have been lucky.

MM--Guy Fieri is making Cioppino--now that will be in my head. I must be hungry-everything is sounding good to me. I had a clementine and coffee-must make something fast for DH before I go.

I hope Amber comes back....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I've never tried to buy compote here; maybe it is sold in specialty shops?  I use the "scan the barcode" iPad LoseIt app feature so if the food isn't in the database, it knows what I'm eating and all its nutrition facts from the barcode.

tt, not sure why wife and kids couldn't come...strange, but I'm sure it's nothing personal gone wrong.  Have a wonderful time with whomever can come!

tulips, always good to see you pop in.  I saw Guy's show, too - looked good!  Chicken thighs are a staple in the kargiver household, and I do them even more plainly - nothing on them but the skin that I remove after cooking.  Dh likes them PLAIN, and I add whatever seasoning I want afterwards.  Have fun with your mom, and I hope dh is still feeling relatively well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sometime try the lemon/pepper seasoning on the chicken thighs, ladies.  I run them under cold water, then hold them and sprinkle seasoning on both sides (legs, that is) no  oil necessary, just put on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 400 - I like them well done, so 50-60 minutes for me.  Have some in freezer.  Lilly and her crew love them.  If I'd thought would have thawed some out for today - but then, I guess at this point I have more than enough food!  lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmmm, I love lemon pepper!  Going to the store to get some ingredients for a home version of chicken said since dh liked his so much last night out.  I'll get some lp while I'm there, thanks for reminding me of that tasty combo spice, tt.  I usually buy it for a recipe, use it up, and never think to replace it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It is warm out, but lousy. Foggy and drizzling. DH just went out to get lunch for our crew. Chicken wings and pork fried rice. Asked him to bring Wonton soup for me. I brought my chicken salad and rolls to the office for DH and I. But now we are having Chinese, so they are saved in the refrigerator for tmw.
    Our office renovation is almost done. Everyone used to have individual offices, but all the walls are down, and now we have a beuutiful open space. I have my own office, so I can lock it. And so does DH and a couple of other guys, that has been here forever. But the production line is all open. They are placing the carpet tiles today. Looks so nice. But the mastic they are using is very strong. I wish I could take work home, but for what I am doing I need to be here. I can't carry the entire file cabinet with me. LOL
    Sorry about your messed up party, tt. I would say, it is their loss. More time to enjoy everyone else. Sickness, you can't do anything about, but didn't those working people know, they were working today, when you planned it?
    Nice to see your post, Tulips. Hope DH is still doing well. I am making chicken wings too for the football game. That with Blue Cheese dip. We are taping it and plan to watch it tonight after we get home. We try to avoid the news. TX son is excited. It is btw. him (Pats) and his in-laws (Huston). I am sure they will have some bets going on. He has invited everyone to his house. DIL asked me for my Boston Baked Bean recipe and she is making Boston Cream Pie. Don't know, what else is on the menu.  Wish I was there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

To be fair, workers were not here Christmas morning.  We planned it around when youngest son could make it.  And, my intown son's 2 teenagers, did not have their working schedules then.  They will most likely stop by when they get out today, just won't be sitting down to eat when the rest of us do.  You have to be flexible with a large family.

Will be nice when your renovations are complete, Pingo.  Got to go and check my makeup and be sure I didn't slather it on too thick!  Didn't want to look pale and sickly, hope I didn't overdo it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Have fun TT, you've worked so hard to put such a nice party together.  Your lemon pepper chicken sounds good - think I may try that.  I actually do have some lemon pepper!

Met the family interested in Tillie.  They were lovely and the kids were adorable.  our only reservation is they are currently living in a townhouse while they are building a new house, so there isn't much of a yard.  However, that is temporary and as long as Tillie gets a few walks a day, she's okay.  Right now she's all snuggled up to me under a blanket, sigh.

My last week off.  Getting my hair cut this week, having lunch with my niece and 2 Drs appts.  A little nervous about going back, as I still don't have much stamina, but maybe starting at only 20 hrs/week will get me back into the swing of things.

Can't wait to hear about your party TT!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Edited

I forgot... you guys would prefer I not offer my opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

funny, I have boneless skinless chicken thighs with lemon and Italian seasonings in my crockpot right now.  Started with a recipe but of course am not following it closely at all so I will let you know how it comes out....I also bought some steak and pork chops for later in the week.  It's a terribly busy one for me with more meetings than I can count going on.

TT I am sorry about your Christmas party plans having to change.  I hope you are having a good time right now.  I wish I could taste your lasagne.. thank heavens that all our Xmas cookies are finally gone. 

I have candy left that I am trying to give away. Took one box to a party yesterday and have one to serve tonight at a meeting.  Took cupcakes to a party this morning but did not stay.  My husband said that was a good thing since he could not get into the party room it was so crowded!   I do have two pot lucks within the next week or so, so need to make a couple of desserts to bring, and a brunch out next weekend  so still partying hearty here!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like quite a football party they are going to have, Pingo.  We are not sports folks so only know there's a big game when others talk about it, lol.  I'd like to be there for the eats, though!  Glad you are happy with the nearly done office renos.

speaking of eats, I decided on chicken said, not salad this time.  Eager to see if I can adequately recreate dh's great dinner from last night.

will they walk her a couple of times a day while the house is being finished, prin?  I'm sure you're all taking everything into good consideration.  Hoping all goes well with your return to work.

getting things ready to cook later.  Entered the recipe into LoseIt, zested and juiced a lemon, and will get the meat off the bones and chopped.  I wish I had an army of sous chefs like they do on the Food Network!

tt, I picked up more chicken and lemon pepper to put on it. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, here I am, almost 6:00 p.m. and they just left.  Came about 2-2:30, and we had a wonderful time.  So much laughter.  It was an easy day for me too, because I just put everything out on the buffet table, including take-home-containers, and everyone helped themselves.

My son found a wooden piano online for pumpkin, and oh my gosh, how he loved that.  Banged on the keys and then would pound on the top.  G.T. kidded that he would make him a sequined cape, reminiscent of Liberace!  I told my son, drums next year!  Altho, if we're kind, no drums, because we learned today that pumpkin's mom who was told she had a small window of time to conceive pumpkin, is now pregnant and expecting another little boy the end of July.  We're all helping her with our ideas of nice Irish names!  As she admitted tho, she doesn't go for the usual names, likes something different.  My gift was a beautifully framed 2 picture holder of him, and for his Uncle who bought him the Irish knit cap, a beautiful large picture, head only, of him wearing the cap.  He looks just like a little Irish street boy.

Anyway, we all had a wonderful time, with plenty of food, and every one saying what a good time we had.

Princess, good luck going back to work.  Just don't push yourself.  20 hours is still a lot, and you've got to ease back into it.  Hope the family works out for Tillie.  It's a tough decision to make, too bad they weren't already settled in their new home.  Are there others you're scheduled to interview?

Sons did up what dishes weren't plastic, so literally, there's nothing for me to do tonight, but sit back, have glass of wine, and relax.  Hope you all had a good day too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm having a second glass of wine too TT.  Glad the boys did those dishes and you can relax.  Congrats on the new GGS!  Declan is nice...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah yes, but one of her cousins named her little boy Declan.  Tomorrow I'm going to scan Irish names and pick out a few, tho I'm sure she did that even the first time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well I'm fresh out, although I do like the custom of using a family last name as a first name.

Remember, Downton Abbey is on tonight.  We'll see if I can stay awake.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

TT--glad your party went well, and you can relax tonight ! Enjoy your wine.

Sections
Shortcuts