January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: January 2013

I asked DS if they took pictures of them. He did report that his person seemed skinner. CCD has classes in the rooms on Sunday so it looks like he might have been played with. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, there is a new bug in the edit procedure.  When you edit, it erases the headline field.  When you try to save your edit, it gives you an error message,  "PLease fill in all required fields."  If you get that, go type something in the headline field.  Then, click on "Add your post." But notice, the headline field is not being displayed in the posts, so what you type won't show.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I experienced a new and apparently temporary bug yesterday of only having the first page of threads displayed with no way to navigate to subsequent ones.  I saw that people posted and had to go to their home page to read their comments.  And, if "more" were displayed there, more took me to the first page of the thread I couldn't read the rest of.  Nice.  

So, maybe these new glitches mean they are working on the system...that'd be nice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

MS's scone recipe? I think it is more like TT's scone recipe. Too many changes from the oringinal. LOL

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

http://www.marthastewart.com/338474/cranberry-scones

It's her cranberry scone recipe.  I make a few changes.

Put just 5 tbsp. sugar in the recipe.  Instead of using regular sugar for the top, I sprinkle clear sugar sprinkles on them.

Instead of 2/3 cup half and half, I pour 4 tbsp. melted margarine into 1 cup of milk, and use 2/3 cup of that in the recipe, saving the rest for brushing the tops.

I add a tbsp. of Miracle Whip.

I increase the cranraisins to 1 cup

Bake for 15-18 minutes, using the finger tap to test for doneness.  Never more than 18 tho.

The key is not to over knead.  5-6 times is plenty.  I got carried away once and they came out tough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

Yes, there is a new bug in the edit procedure.  When you edit, it erases the headline field.  When you try to save your edit, it gives you an error message,  "PLease fill in all required fields."  If you get that, go type something in the headline field.  Then, click on "Add your post." But notice, the headline field is not being displayed in the posts, so what you type won't show.

Thanks.  I tried it again with a non-sensical headline and then deleted what I had printed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Haven't met any of the glitches everyone are talking about. Dunno, maybe I am on an exceptional browser. All I know is, DS set me up with a whole bunch of firewalls and deterrants. I am using Firefox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hopefully BDC is working on it, getting us back the "ignore" button and the photo option. We have asked then enough the past few days.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

By the time you get back from Texas, Pingo, everything will be fixed (maybe)!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Ha Ha Ha Ha!  funniest post today!;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, if these glitches are an indication of how well they are doing I don't have high hopes for a speedy rectification of the problems with the forum.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, 10 days? I don't think so. You memory is eluding you. We have waited months for some of the necessary buttons to come back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's a nice dream, though. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Well, let me just say, I am truly happy, that I can read your posts and post myself, keeping our friendships going. That is what is importand to me. All the other little details are nice, but not as important. We miss them, b/c they used to be there, but in the big scheme, I could live w/o them. Just saying!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, this is better than nothing. :)

dh got home after a very long day trip in the storm to Maine, and is now plowing the driveway, poor guy.  I did what I could by clearing my car, shoveling the patio, and both sets of stairs.  Usually, he actually prefers to do it all, but I figured today he wouldn't mind.  I was right; he almost didn't plow even.  But, I reminded him how peeved he'd be in the morning to not be able to move the frozen ruts and he got dressed and out there pretty quick.  We had rain/drizzle all day after the snow stopped, so it would have been like cement.

anyway, I couldn't wait and just had dinner, lentil stew.  I know, I'm horrible eating while poor dh is adding to his day, but I was starrrrving.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

I recieved as a gift a Amarillis in a glass vase.  Followed the instructions and was rewarded with six huge beautiful flowers.   They are all gone now and its time for the aftercare???  The directions on Google are all for Amarillis that are in dirt.....anyone know how to take care of mine, I know I cut back the flower stems, then when the foliage gets yellow, cut that back, then leave somewhere for a couple of months....but do I leave the water in the bottom of the vase, drain it or what, help, please.....ss 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello Folks....I hve been keeping up...to a certain degree..

Pingo...safe journey...

TT and Mm...the Yand the R has been good...but I think sometimes I am misiing something but I am a newbie to the show

Honey and I just got back from a visit with Prince Zachary...Hes quite a ball of energy...8 months old today

SS..I thought I saw you at Wack Wenesday last week...sadly...I was wrong

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to shakersilly2010's comment:

I recieved as a gift a Amarillis in a glass vase.  Followed the instructions and was rewarded with six huge beautiful flowers.   They are all gone now and its time for the aftercare???  The directions on Google are all for Amarillis that are in dirt.....anyone know how to take care of mine, I know I cut back the flower stems, then when the foliage gets yellow, cut that back, then leave somewhere for a couple of months....but do I leave the water in the bottom of the vase, drain it or what, help, please.....ss 

ETA:  I don't think that the water will furnish the necessary nutrients without supplementation and I think it's easier to take care of if in soil....

I think you should plant it in soil after you cut back the flower stems.  You only cover it about 2/3 of the way up.

I have had some success with having them rebloom although they bloom later than the forced ones.  I put them on the deck during the summer.  Then cut off the leaves, bring them in, leave them in the dark basement for a few months and take them out.  Last year they it bloomed around March 1, this year it has one leaf that's just an inch tall and no indication of a flower stem yet. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

The amaryllis are beautiful, SS, I've never had one, but a couple of times when I saw the bulbs in the stores have been tempted to buy one for myself.  Reading your post made me think of my orchid - Pingo, before you leave for Texas, tell me when to expect any signs of new stems etc, would you please?  I have 3 very green healthy leaves that have stayed after the flowers/stems died back.  At one point, G.T. did cut back the stems, I see no signs of them this morning, but as I say, the green leaves at the base look very healthy.  What and when should I expect any signs of added life ?

Harry out there this morning, didn't see him yesterday.  I think he's gone back under the shrub, perhaps of hopes of coming in, but with the hair loss on his leg, I'm leery.  Googling pet md tells it could be disease of one kind or another.  13 year old Cheerio doesn't need to be exposed to that.  Hoping Cat Lady can raise someone either in the house she saw him at, or at a neighbor's to find out just what their status is.

Princess, not sure which day you were going back to work, if you have started back, how is it going?  Such cold mornings to have to go out.  I'll head out today for a few things, but not until near noon when it's the warmest.  Streets here don't seem to iced, but looking out the window I can see crystal drops hanging from branches on the cherry tree, not dripping yet, so still solid ice.  Beautiful with a bit of light shining through them.

Left a list of things I want to take care of today on the kitchen table.  If I don't write them down, the day gets away from me without ever getting to them.  First is breakfast, and I'm thinking French toast.  Seems like tomorrow will be a good day for beef stew, so may pick up some stew meat today, and finally get to make another dish of the Spanish Cream for myself, and a batch of scones.  GS asked when I was making more.  I think his father is off today, so may get them made this morning and then delivered a little later when I go out.

Hope everyone has a good day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

MmmMmm, French toast...sounds delish.  I'm on my second cuppa and about to get ready for my rescheduled (snow) hair appt in Worcester.  Dh did a fabulous job plowing so no problem getting to the street.  Need to start the car early, though, if I don't want to scrape.  Yup, everything is icy out here due to the hours of drizzle we had after the snow.

my grandmother had amaryllis, but I don't know what she did with them after Christmas...and, she's gone so I can't ask!  Gosh, I miss her so much!!!

It's pretty cold in here but won't start the fire 'til I get back...it's warm enough for Gracie and her black coat. :)

gotta run for now.  Chat later!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning and thanks for tips with my amaryllis.....will put it in soil and see what happens.

Icer,I thought I saw you too,the 15th at our favorite market, but I think the lady was too heavy......hair in ponytail, denim pants and jacket?? ss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

MM, have we lost you again, or are you reading and just not posting ?  How are you doing?  Bet you can't wait until Spring, so much easier and more comfortable to get out and around.  Next week is supposed to bring really frigid temps.  I'll be hunkered down inside.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I think my body is trying to fight off whatever it was that DS had. French toast sounds good. I had my oatmeal a little bit ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Good morning everyone. I think my body is trying to fight off whatever it was that DS had. French toast sounds good. I had my oatmeal a little bit ago.

I ended up with a quick cup of coffee and a slice of G.T.'s lemon bread that was in the freezer - so don't be drooling over French toast I didn't have!  lol

Trying to get around and get going, but this seems to be a morning when I'm going around doing things while still in my robe.  Trash needs to be put out, and I can see that the driveway isn't icy at this point, but motivation hasn't worked at this point.  Instead have scrolled around in B&N, seeing there's a 20% off coupon, and since I am a member, can have it shipped free.  Have a book saved to my wish list, but that's as far as I have gone.

Hope you aren't coming down with anything, Winter.  Is your son better this morning?  Did he, or will he be going for a fitting on his braces?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He did go in for the mold and his spacers on Monday. I talked to the orthodontist and since his doctor said it was not the flu he colud go in. He gets his top braces on Monday morning. My son is doing better, sadly he has a math test today, so hoping that he does ok, considering he missed two lessons this week. I hope I'm not coming down with anything either. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sounds like everyone is in Spring mood with all the flower questions.
    Re the Amaryllis. Amaryllis is a bulb, and in order for it to bloom again, it must go dormant. It needs a couple of months of 50 degrees temperature w/o water. I had luck once to have an Amaryllis rebloom, but found it wasn't worth it, when I could pick one up in the Fall for $5 ready to go.
    Anyway, don't cut off the green leaves, the bulb needs them for food. When the leaves is completely wilted and no longer needed, I would cut the leaves and take the bulb out of the glass and hang it in an onion bag or nylon in a cool place for a couple of months w/o watering it. If you want blooms around Christmas time, plant the bulb in October in soil with a lot of peat. Place it in a warm place and start watering it, keeping it moist. Don't overdo the water, or the bulb will rot. With luck, you should see leaves coming up and a new spike appear. Patience is the word here.

Re your orchid, tt, just keep it where it is and keep it barely moist. The ice cube watering works well. At some point you will see a spike coming up. They usually flower once a year. I have had luck to have them flower more than once, but that is unusual. I generally put mine away when they finish flowering in a room we don't use much, and water them when I remember. Then when I see the spike coming up, I bring them back in our living area to be enjoyed for a couple of months. Right now I have 3 giving me that pleasure. After several years, the flowers get smaller and fewer. When that happens, I replace them. Every two years or so, I repot them. I use the same pot, but give them new medium. There is special medium for Orchids; it looks like bark mulch. Again, patience is a virtue.

I took yesterday off and got our clothes all straightened out (washed, ironed and folded), so they are now in piles just to be packed. Now on my way to Costco to pick up a script and turn in a new one, so I will have enough meds, when I go away. Then to the office to do some more typing. Not something I am looking forward to, but it has to be done. I should tehn be in a good shape to go away. Hope the driving will not be bad. DH came home late last night after a very long day, so he didn't clean our driveway, but hopefully it will melt some today.

Sections
Shortcuts