January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: January 2013

I had my oatmeal with cinnamon golden raisins, demerara sugar, and milk - and a big cup of coffee.  It was good but since I got up at 5 and ate at 7 I am feeling peckish again. 

I so need to get over this holiday feeling and get back to a good sleep schedule.   Yesterday I got up at 7 ate at 8 and didn't feel the need to snack during the day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the info re the orchid, Pingo.  Looking out this window now (STILL in my robe!) everything looks just wet.  Car has completely cleared off, and I don't see any iciness on the street.  Of course, that does not take into effect the parking lots, such as Costco's, which is apt to be a bit tricky, I find.  You're in good shape for your packing and travels.  Send me some of your energy to spare, after all my bragging about how much more energy I was having, seemed to have petered out.  Guess I put it forth when I needed it, planning for the party.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Trumpet Vine!  They grow like crazy, have bright red flowers and attract hummingbirds.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Honeysuckle Vine, I found a baby one at Job Lot in the Spring a few years ago for $3.99, the thing is huge now, all over my fence, the Hummingbirds like it, it has pretty small fragrant white/yellow flowers.  Low maintenance, I just give it a little natural fertilizer every June. 

You have to prune these vines every so often or they will take over!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

JC, trumpet vine is a good suggestion. But they belong to the mint famile and are invasive. So keep them in pots, or you will be sorry.  They are beautiful though and grow like crazy. Humming birds love them.
    Another one I will suggest is the Mandevilla. It is also a vine with  trumpet flowers for the humming birds. I have several on my deck, and come fall, I take them in, leave them in my garage, cut them down to about a foot, and water them sparingly during the winter months. When it gets warm enough, I put them out again and I will have another summer with plenty of beautiful pink flowers. They come in red and pink. I prefer the latter. My oldest is 6 years old and I have made many "babies" from that one plant. They root easily. Good luck!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If you don't have a green thumb, they may not do well in pots....planted in the ground, as long as you give them (honeysuckle vine) a good haircut every late Fall or whenever they are getting too bushy, that should work to keep them from taking over.

Don't get Wisteria, the vine is so strong it can take down your porch!  A mature Trumpet is also capable of doing that.

Anyway, that has been my experience.

Go to a reputable plant nursery and browse around when you are ready and ask questions.

ETA:  Be aware that home inspectors often discourage having bushes/plants growing against the house... as it can be attractive for carpenter ants etc.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

A 6 foot stockade fence?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

A vinyl fence lasts much longer then the wood and you can just powerwash it off. Sadly, it's more money, but we are going to do it this Spring.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back again.  It's a beautiful day out, one to be out and enjoy if you can.  Went to Costco, looked for you, Pingo, but no one at the Pharmacy counter except me.  Stopped at S&S on the way back and filled my carriage with chicken pie, stew meat, chicken tenders, Koffee Kup donuts, and all kinds of veggies and fruits - which I don't talk about much, I know, but sweets make so much more interesting conversation!  Had a nice salad with everything  but the kitchen sink for dinner, along with a beer and a cinnamon donut.  Set for the afternoon.

Did I see my name mentioned?  "trumpet"  -  oh, I see, flowers you were talking about.  I think you have to be very careful re vine type flowers growing up alongside the house, and be really vigil they don't get under shingles/siding, anywhere they can sneak their little tenacles.  G.T. has potten mandavilla, but not up against the house, rather on an empty wall of the patio.

Glad your son was able to get the mold for the braces, Winter.  The sooner he gets started with them, the sooner they'll do their work and he'll be free of them.

I'm not on the last page, posting, so cannot see what else was talked about.  I've got to put the salad makings in fridge, and check my list I left on the table as to what else I wanted to accomplish today.

Oh, one more thing, Jeepers, if you are considering plants in pots, I know MM, as well as Pingo, has several on  deck.  Maybe she'll hop in and join the conversation as to her experience.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We miss having leaves on the trees for this very reason!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, sounds like you have quite a haul of food from the market. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, tt - it is lovely out. I was at Costco at about 12:30. What time were you there? After I picked up my meds, I got some Cold-Ease tabs, and went back to the pharmacy to ring them in. The registers had long, long lines. Spoke to Peter for a few minutes, so I was at the pharmacy for at leat 1/2 hour. Sorry, I missed you.

Lovely out. So glad DH didn't waste his time, cleaning the driveway last night. Except for a small patch, it was all melted.

JC, you don't need a green thumb to grow a Mandeville.  They do excellent in pots. You can attach a trellis to your patio, then place a couple of pots on the deck, and before you know, they will be off and on theri way to cover you up nicely.  The nursery charges about $25 for tehm, but Costco sells them come Spring for $15 (at least last year).  They do have lots of tendrils, that try to catch whatever they can. If they come too close to a place you don't want them to be, just cut them off. Or you can "rewind" them and guide them to wherever you want them.

Boy, all this plant talk make me feel it is Spring. It won't be long.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Let's see, I glanced at the clock at S&S when I was checking out, and it was 12:15. That was long after I had been at Costco, so I had been there long before you.  Thought I caught a glimpse of Peter in back, but that nice young man waited on me.  One of these days I'll hear someone say, "TT?", and I'll answer, "Yes, Pingo?"

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm ready for spring, too...Winter is not my season.  

But, it's nice out today, relatively speaking, so can't complain (too much, anyway, lol).  Walking Gracie momentarily.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hello everyone.  Made it to Boston and back in one piece, lol.  Only made one wrong turn!  TT - I go back to work on Monday.  So, tomorrow I plan on going through my clothes and get everything ironed and ready.  A lot of my work clothes are still too big for me, but I don't want to buy anything new as I plan on continuing to stay healthy and stronger!  I am really looking forward to going back.

The trainers are coming out Monday for Tillie and Spencer.  Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work!

Nice that you saw Peter Pingo.  I haven't seen him in a while, but DH and I drove by Costco the other day and "waved" to him, lol.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS got his grade on his person. The note said Name, this is the best fiction friend I've seen. Great job. He got 100%. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

DS got his grade on his person. The note said Name, this is the best fiction friend I've seen. Great job. He got 100%. :)

Wow, that is great, Winter.  He must be so happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He is thrilled. We bring him home tomorrow.

Sections
Shortcuts