January 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: January 2013

Even Honey says,"Sharon...grrrrrrrr"

I've been watchin'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, sorry you are down with a nasty cold, too.  I bought some honey bourbon to make my nightly drink.  It's really yummy!  

Thanks to hats for the hot toddy cold remedy.  It really helps keep me from hacking all night.  I'd never had one before.

Dragged myself to the chiropractor today, and glad I did after having missed December and his cancelling last Monday.  Went to Walmart after for some necessities.  P**ped, now.

Can't talk without setting off a coughing fit.  You'd think dh would enjoy the silence, but he is so unnerved he keeps asking, "what's wrong?!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry for you, who are feeling sick. I thought I was coming down with something last week, but chichen soup and hot gluewine and hot mulled cranberry juice took care of it.
    Kar, watch out for that cough. Could be the start of a bronchitis. I know them unfortunately too well. I start coughing, before I actually feel I have a cold. It always go straigh to my bronchies. And like tt can testify to, it is hard to get rid of. You may not want it, but you may need it - antibiotics.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo, I'm on the lookout.  As soon as I start sniffling I think bronchitis is on the way...a gloomy outlook, I suppose, but my history is what it is...much like yours. 

Dh worked late tonight - will be home just after 8.  Got baked potatoes in, and leftovers for the rest - turkey burgers and beets.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, glad the toddies are working for you.  I am actually drinking bourbon myself tonight - but cold!  Am using it to perk up the end of a bottle of flat hot gingerale that's been sitting around since Dec. 30th...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

just finished mine - off to bed and perchance to dream.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, 

Hope you with colds are feeling better.  No one knows better than me how that can drag you down and leave you so tired.  Speaking of which, dr. did call last night after supper and we had a long half hour talk about an additional med he is trying me on.  One of the side effects may be "fatigue".  I said, Oh no, not just when I am getting so much of my energy back.  It's wonderful to be able to travel to 3-4 different stores and not just be so tired I have to head home, and as I've written, able to get so much done around the house.  I'll try it tho, it's a low dose and may just do the trick to lower my b.p. without having noticeable side effects.

Much to do today, scheduled appt., errands, and just in case, I'll pick the most tiring of chores to do before starting med.  Got the baskets all bagged and bowed last night, and I'm pleased with the outcome.  Nice fat, bulging gift baskets.

Dreamed of a past dog I had.  She came running out, wagging her tail, and I was so glad to see her, realized I hadn't seen her in a long time.  It's the same dog whose pic appeared in a snapshot I took when I was at the Black Sand Beach in Hawaii, on a dark, drizzly day.  When I got the pics developed, there she was, a spotted little mutt, sitting to my right. - In actuality, there was no dog on the beach that day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

I hope the new med is good for your chemistry, tt.  sometimes those side effects are temporary, especially "fatigue" - it often wears off as you adjust.

I choked up re your old dog coming to visit on you the beach and in your dream.  

Speaking of our dogs, Gracie's fence collar needs to be charged - I found out it had gone dead when I saw her in the compost pile having a ball way beyond the border.  Whoops!  It lasts so long (year+) that I never think about recharging it.  Will now!

Still maintaining my weight and enjoying my "new" old size.  Was glad I wasn't wearing jeans that fit yesterday, though, as when I bought a new car battery at Walmart, and battery acid spilled out of it all over me!  My down jacket was ruined, and they gave me a $100 on the spot for that.  Too bad I didn't notice the drip on my jeans...it was a hole by the time I got home, lol.  Oh, well, they were old and gigantic on me...I'll just forget about those.  I was impressed with how Walmart handled the incident - I said I thought $100 was fair when they asked, and they gave it to me in cash right there in the battery aisle.

and, I'm headed back today.  I was supposed to get the battery for free because it is replacing one that won't hold a charge within the two year warranty period.  Oh, and I have to go to the dump. exciting stuff!

have a great day everyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, I shuddered when I read of the acid burning a hold in your jeans.  Are you sure it didn't get on your skin?  What a freak thing to happen.

You must be feeling a lot better to do your running around today.  At least it's supposed to get up into the 40's.  What a wonderful prospect that is.  One of the newscasters last night said, "Imagine us all getting excited over temps that might be high 30's or lower 40's!"  Shows how sick we are of these freezing temps.

I'm so suprised Gracie even tried going beyond her usual boundary.  She must periodically give it a try.  That compost pile was just too much of a temptation for her!  Poor girl, now next time when she thinks she can run right through she'll get a jolt.

Breakfast is calling.  Still look out there for Harry each morning, but I'm afraid I've seen the last of him.  Warning to other strays, don't come through here looking for a handout, this restaurant is closed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, hope your new medicine works without the fatigue. Your baskets sound lovely. 

Kar, what a freak thing to happen with the battery. Hope your leg is ok. Hope you are feeling better today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies - yeah, it was weird!  The manager just stared like a dear in headlights for a few seconds before she caught her senses and was able to set about making things right.  Yes, I did get some on my skin, but washed it off right away and no harm done.  I don't see a mark on my leg; I think the material probably wasn't touching but was hanging next to my skin before it dried.  Good thing my hands are tougher than my coat - feathers started emerging almost immediately!

I'm surprised she ventured that far, too, but I think she's figured out that if she doesn't hear the warning beep she's not going to get zapped.  I wonder if that will prevent a jolt.  If not, she's ok with it.  I've seen her bump it by accident and she just jumps a little and keeps on going within the boundary.

Yes, I'm feeling better in that my nose isn't running like a faucet, but I've got that dry cough that goes nuts if I talk and still feel listless.  I'm running around doing errands because dh is out straight with work and cannot take care of these things my being sick or not.  He left the house this morning at 6:15.  I can at least come home and rest which is what I did yesterday.

Henry has gone missing before hasn't he?  I bet he'll surprise you someday soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Who is Henry????  Pay attention!!!  Just kidding - it's "HARRY", Kargiver.  No, if I don't see him, Cat Lady does.  We're hoping (choosing to believe) that his owner has kept him in during the cold night temps, or someone else has taken him in.  We'll leave it at that.

When I returned some greenery that I hadn't had a chance to wind around my new porch stairs, to CTS yesterday, guess what was hanging on racks right next to the counter - Luden's Honey Licorice losengas.  Haven't seen them in years.  When I was a kid used to eat those and Smith Brothers like candy!  Bought a pkg for old time's sake and enjoyed one on my way back down the Pike to Job Lots.

Got to get my make up on and head out now.  I'll check in this afternoon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoops, cold medicine brain fog!  

licorice - my grandmother's favorite candy and the only thing, I think, that we didn't think alike on.  I can't stand it!

the sun is strong, and I hope the warm front has made its way here because off I go to take care of the battery thing.  Maybe if I feel well enough I'll get lunch out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Harry is the traditional nick name for Henry - the redheaded Royal we call Prince Harry is in reality Prince Henry of Wales.....and Henry VIII's nicknae was "Great Harry" in fact, there's a well known biography of him by Carolly Erickson entitled "Great Harry...." I thought that was Kar's meaning....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, "Harry" is probably our  nickname for a "Harriet", because at one time he wore a pink collar.  It went fromm "Pretty Baby" to "Handsome Harry".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, Y&R stunk today in my opinion.

Errands done, but  may still run out for one more thing G.T. was looking for.  Should stay right in here and tackle next biggest chore to be done.  Nice to have warm weather, but the parking lot at Costco still was balmy.  Always a wind there.

Did you get your errands done, Kargiver?  Hope you took advantage of being out and stopped for lunch.  I was wishing I had.  Came home and had an English muffin with cheese, and a dish of cut up tomatoes with ranch dressing.  Supper I'll probably finish up the soup I opened yesterday.

Winter, isn't tomorrow the day the "people" go marching into school?  What a sight that will be.  Hope your son is feeling proud of himself.  That was quite a project.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, yes the people are due tomorrow I guess two twins brought them in yesterday, because their parents had to borrow a car and that was the only day they could do it. My son is excited about it, he told the teacher how it was made. Yoda knocked him over last night, so we had a last minute addition and put a piece of wood underneath it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yoda's trying to get that new guy out of the house!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hadn't meant to be more formal, just messed up the name, but thanks for the vote of confidence, hats. :)

well, I got half the errands done, and I had a lovely sub from Subway in Walmart while I waited for my battery to be replaced for only 410 calories.  Roasted chicken 6" multigrain with all the veggies and chipotle dressing.  The dressing had more calories than the chicken, and the veggies all had zero (at least in the amounts of a 6" sub).  

So, off to the rest of what I have to do.  So happy it's 40 instead of 7 (what it was this morning).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just filled the birdfeeder and walked up back to see if anything had eated the tangerines I had thrown out.  No, they're still there.

Got a few of the things on my list done, and now after I throw a wash in, will give myself 15 minutes more to do one more, while Dr. Phil is on.  Hope it is something good today.

Your sub sounds good, Kargiver.  I've no idea what I'll be cooking for tonight.  Something that won't mess up my stove, since I polished it the other day.  That leftover soup, I guess.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I also find that the tangerines don't get eaten.  Not too surprising when one remembers that the animals native to these parts  would not recognise them as food.  However, I figure that once they decay, something will probably eat the seeds.  So I throw them out anyway - better than throwing them in the trash.  I always remember reduce, reuse,recycle - so letting them decay naturally is reducing the amount you put into the waste stream.  Plus, it does add a bit of color when I look out the window.

Did you know that dried tangerine peel is a great firestarter and makes the fire smell good?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that's the same thing I said about Yoda knociking over the new kid.  :) Not sure what we'll do for dinner, it's just DH and I so we may pick something up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

No I did not ..but I will be sure to dry some out next time I have them

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mmm, what a nice smell that would be - in a fire.

Wash sounds just about through spinning, so will get that in dryer.  Called youngest to see if GD would want to come over Friday after school to frost the scarves on the gingerbread men that I'll bake that morning.  She's home sick with a stomach ache today, so he said he won't mention anything to her until she's feeling better.  I told him Sat would be fine too, whenever she could make it.

Dr. Phil is about elderly abuse today.  So terrible to think people abuse such helpless people, like those that abuse children or animals.  Defenseless.

Cheerio is following me from room to room, waiting for me to sit so she can rest her head and paws on my knees.  Stopped in library this morning and picked up a book by the writer of Chocolat, and tried to read a bit of that.  Difficult with her head turned back waiting for me to scratch her chin and jaws!  Also put my name in for Tracy Chevaliler's new book. "The Last Runaway".  She wrote "Girl with a Pearl Earring", and I loved that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re Animals:  Citrus Fruits including oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit, etc can cause vomiting upsetting the digestive system

That's why they (the smart ones) avoid them.