January 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: January 2014

Thanks, again, friends.  Yes, definitely feeling better, and that is why I can now differentiate between things that make me worse and avoid them for the most part.  Before, I was so bad all the time I couldn't tell the difference...nothing seemed to impact the situation until I improved enough to notice cause and effect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@kar,  I hope you were able to reschedule your appointment with the neurologist, I would take advantage of all the assessments I could get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Will schedule with a neuro-opthamologist as my optometrist SIL suggested if I don't get continued and full relief at the same rate with the treatments I'm getting, thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I never heard of a neuro-opthamologist, except that they treat strabismus in children.

That would be considered a subspecialty,  a neurologist would refer you after he completed his workup and ruled out the typical causes,  if he thought it was indicated. 

Best of luck.

Nevermind/edited (just trying to be helpful, but things tend to get misinterpreted around here)  Hope you feel better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trust me, if you knew how horrendous this really was you'd know without one shadow of one doubt that I'd make damn sure I was doing what I needed to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back is shoveled - mind you a kiddie shovel width!  lol  But nevertheless, shoveled, and the dryer vent cleared.  I'm half way through the bank of snow he piled against the house (don't like this guy), but am pacing myself and will do the rest in a couple of hours before the rain and lower temps.

Kargiver, seeing the two blocked posts, I imagine you are getting lots of advice.  Fortunately, you're old enough and intelligent enough to choose what you feel is the best route for yourself.

Time for a cup of tea and to check the TV for any good movies.  Temp out is really nice, no wind, and it was good to get out in it a bit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, one would hope that would be anyone's assumption; I'd certainly not shortchange myself a recovery just because my aunt thinks this or SIL thinks that.  My word, if anyone thinks for a second I'd not do anything I had to do...well, whatever.

He shoveled the snow against the house?  Ugh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Shovel?  No, the guy who plowed, plowed straight up the driveway instead of curving away slightly at the top,  and now there is a solid 5 ft high bank that extends across the tops of both my and my neighbor's driveway.  In order to be able at some point this winter to get to the back walk from the driveway, I have to clear a path through before it freezes to solid ice.

Have you taken Gracie for a walk today?  Really is refreshing air.  Underfoot has melted enough that it's not slippery any more either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my, what a mess. Too bad I couldn't send dh over for you; he does a meticulous job as you can imagine.  He used to plow professionally.  Hopefully someone else can do it next time.

I've got a turkey in the oven so maybe will take her for a short jaunt for that nice, fresh air.  The house might even be warm enough, between the warmer outside, the wood stove, and the oven, to open up and exchange the air.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, how was the oxtail ragout?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Nice to a hear from you Kar and that are you seeing relief daily. For those that watch Downton Abbey starts tonight at 9 p.m. And it's 2 hours. I have tow other shows set for the DVR for that time, so I will DVR it for 11 tonight and watch it tomorrow night.hats, that's a very cute peeps idea. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter.

hoping to drive tomorrow and continue the trend. :)

turkey (21 lbs) came out great.  DH helped prep sides and lifted turkey.

Loved the peeps pic, lol.

Good night, all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

21 lbs?  That's a lot of turkey!

Just watched Downton now having hot milk and going to bed.  Working this week so won't be around as much.  Be careful, all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone.  Kar - so happy to see that you are on the mend.  I, of course, caught DH's bug and have spent the last 6 days in the hospital.  I get so frustrated because I just get so whalloped by these things and can't bounce back.  Apparently it was an infection that I couldn't fight off and it attacked my pancreas.  Pretty scary for a while there but I at least got to come home yesterday.   White count is still elevated but we're just going to monitor it.

Missed all of the snow and cold, not that I am complaining!  Back at work today and it feels good to get back into the swing of things.  Now, if 2014 can just be a healthy year for ALL of us!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Princess, so sorry you ended up in the hospital.  Your poor system just can't handle these infections.  Sounds as tho it was a pretty heavy one anyway tho, you said your husband was really sick with it too.  Glad to see a post from you and know that you are back at work.

Downton Abbey was great last night.  Sat up til 11:00 watching.  

Saw fog during the night when I got up, but surprised to see it still so thick this morning.  It's still raining here.  Thought we were to get a reprieve for a few hours, but that may still be to come.  Housebound for so many days now, had a list of places to go this morning, but will play it by ear according to the rain and fog.  It's like pea soup here.

Glad I got my path through the snowbank cleared, this rain will help widen it and get rid of some of the underlying ice.    Driver carefully those of you who must get out early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I will watch Downton Abbey tonight. Princess, so sorry you were in the hospital, hope you are on the way to a healhier 2014. tt, as we were driving this morning, we pass by a lake and DS said there is where the scary monster would come our from under the fog! It was very thick, one guy had no headlights on and me and the guy in front of me beeped at him, that's an accident waiting to happen. I was happy to see that the rain cleared some of our snow up from the driveway, it's not level, so we have a hard time getting to the cement when we shovel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Love your son's jump from a foggy lake to a foggy lake that the monster would come out of!

I've been peeking out the toyroom window, trying to see down to where I cleared the narrow path through the ice bank, but it's right at the corner of the house, and the path was so narrow to begin with - - - can't quite see if the rain has done its work and widened it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,

I am on my way out to the doc for my monthly B12 shot. Glad it is warmer today. Hopefully we will get a good melting of the snow. Don't like to drive in the heavy fog. Was going to postpone until tmw., but DH threw a surprise at me this morning. Having dinner guests tonight. Vegetarians. So I need to get out anyway. Chat later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Good morning and happy new year!

We were out of town visiting relatives and missed the storm.  We got back last night and had to deal with shoveling our walkways and a path in the back for the dog so she could access the backyard.  Normally DH uses a snowblower on the long driveway but we had to hire a plow guy to plow it out for us so we could access our house when we got back (and so nobody would drive by and realize that we weren't home beacuse it would have been obvious when no snowwas cleared after the snow ended).  Our friend who has a plow was also out of town so we had to call someone new and we have no idea what he charges - hope it's not too expensive but what can ya do?

The plane ride was fine, DD1 was content to play with the ipad, stickers, nap and color.  DD2, on the other hand, was a wiggle worm and she didn't sit still (or sleep!) either of the flights! Boy was I tired last night.  Felt so good to sleep in my own bed.  We were visiting relatives and it was a lot of fun to see them but exhausting to be a houseguest for so many days - and hard to not have control of the menu, bedtimes etc. because we were sort of at the mercy of our hosts. 

I have gained about 5 lbs since Thanksgiving. Too many holiday parties.  So I have big plans to hit the gym and start eating better this month.  Hope I can do it.

Kar, glad you are feeling better, hope it continues.

TT, I agree you shouldn't have to clear a path for oil man - he should come through the snow.  But i totally understand wanting to clear a path to access the back path.  If you shovel in stages it's definitely easier. I hope the warm temps today help melt you out sufficiently.

Back at work and about 30 emails to review and read.  Better get to that...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Laughed when I read your post, Rama, had just come on after trying on some clothes my DIL had given me at Christmas.  She means well, always trying to "dress me up", but while I keep the pants, the tops of large flowers or varied mixed colors, just aren't me.  Anyway, the laughing part was that I saw how much I have put on around my middle - gasp - !  Threw the rest of the ribbon candy out, put any sweets I had lying about in the freezer, and did a couple of touch my toes !  In the meantime, the pants will be brought to the cleaners to shorten (did the shortening for myself and 4 boys for years, now I don't have to, I figure), and the tops returned for store credit.  Remind me of this shockeroony awakening I had if I mention eating/baking sweets again - at least for a month!

Glad the kids did so well on the flights.  Can't be easy traveling and visiting with a couple of little ones.  We had no relatives, save my Mom who lived with us, so never ran into handling that with my boys.  Smart to think of having someone go in and plow you.  I have a long driveway that goes from street up the side of the house, and then continues over a third of the front - for the years when we all had cars.  Here, they charge $25, which I want to say not too loud so he will hear me, I think is very reasonable.

Oh my gosh, hope Pingo is already out and has her errands taken care of - the rain is pouring here and sirens sounding.  Definitely a stormier day than I had seen on the forecast, and one I'll stay in.  Anything I was going to get done today because of the warmer temps, will now have to wait until later in the week in the teen temps.  Hate the cold.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I would be happy with $25 for our driveway but I think it will be more than that.  Our property is on an acre of land and the driveway is very long and three car widths wide.  But,whatever it is, will be.  My husband is going away later this month for work for 8 days (eek) and if it snows during that time period, I will have to call a plower because I won't be able to snowblow myself because I can't leave the kids inside alone for that long.  So, we are hoping the promise of more work will entice him to keep his rates reasonable. (otherwise, he would likely charge us an arm and a leg knowing that we only needed him because we were out of town and we aren't likely to be a regular customer).

Raining very hard here today. Loud pitter patter on the windows

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

WHAT? $25 for your driveway, tt? That is a true bargain. No wonder he doesn't shovel. We have paid up to $100 - and our driveway is not especially long and only one car path. This new guy, who is a gem - so far - charge us only $60, because he got our office parking lot too. And he does a better job, than anyone else we had in the past. DH usually like to snow blow it himself, b/c the plowers leave a layer, that turn into solid ice to stay forever. But like Rama, we didn't want to leave and have our driveway say, "Please come in, we are not at home". But for this price and the way he does it, DH is not going to start the blower this year.

Came back from my errands. The driving was horrendous going - 30 miles/hr, when I left. Especially in the Danvers area. I could see the car in front of me, barely see the lights of the second car in front of me and the third car - forget about it. But it is getting better now. So Kar, if you can't see anything on your way to your chiro, it is not you. Hope you get back home safely,  and todays treatment will improve another notch.

Princess, I am so sorry, you caught DH's bug to the extend, you had to be hospitalized again. I am hoping this new year will be a lot better for you health wise than the past. Hugs!

Hats, the ragout was just wonderful. I used my mother's recipe, but instead of simmering it on the stove for 3 hours, I used my pressure cooker. My mom grated all the veggies (carrots, parsnips, celeriac), that goes into the pot. That makes a wonderful flavored thick sauce. She also used leeks instead of onions, which gives a lovely sweet taste. I cooked diced veggies on the side and added them, when the ragout was ready. Didn't make the popovers after all. DH has decided, he is not going to eat bread for a while. That trip to TX expanded the waistline for both of us.

I picked up makings for a simple pasta, a salad and garlic bread for tonights dinner guests. Plus a couple of apps, I can just throw in the oven. I have mushrooms, I needed to use anyway, for a simple mushroom pate. I already have a bought Tiramisu in the freezer. Now, I better get going picking up the house after the weekend. It is not dirty and messy, but I know, these people will want to walk around and see the entire house. And I don't want to embarrass DH.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Made my appt and glad I did; can't believe how far I've come from total vomitous disaster to fairly normal.  Still can't easily use ipad or do things like looking down at the counter, for instance.

Princess, have you considered making your own kefir for immunity? I got my starter cultures from kefirlady.com.  She has lots of info on her site and different culture products to choose from.  Hope you continue to feel better!

pingo, have fun tonight.  Glad you got frozen dessert. 

Rama, tt, I think everyone puts on a few holiday pounds.  No need to go too crazy, just eat less than usual being mindful of sweets and unnecessary second helpings for a month or two and you'll lose those 5 lbs.

Bought a new pillow at chiro's; need to try it out for a nap. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you sound like the old Kargiver, we knew from way back then. So happy for you, you are on your way to full recovery. That you could drive yourself, it a big improvement. So happy for you. Bless your chiropractor!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran out and got my errands all done.  Good work.  Glad to have the running around done without worry of slipping and falling.  Now as I headed home it's very dark and looks to me as I look out the window, raining again since I got in.

I knew I'd get a rise out of you with what we pay here for plowing, Pingo - you and I do not live in the same town.  I'm the "country mouse", remember ?

Sections
Shortcuts