January 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: January 2014

Time ran away from me today. So busy at the office. Lots of catching up to do.

Hats, your broccoli salad sounds like something I would like. Would you mind to give us the recipe for your dressing?

I really don't want to collect more gadgets, but I recently saw a veggie spiraler, that  makes spaghetti like strands from vegetables. It looks like a nice option, for low cal dinners, and will be good for fancy looking salads, like you broccoli salad f. ex, Hats.  Any one has it, or seen it in action? It is not expensive, so I may just get it and try it out.

Haven't heard a thing from our supposed dinner guests. I am not going to "strain my poooper". DH invited them, and if  they decide not to come, it is their loss.

Was going to pack up and go home. But  DH just stuck his head in and suggested, we eat out - he had no lunch. And considering the time, I am taking him up on that.

Have a good evening everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Hats, your broccoli salad sounds like something I would like. Would you mind to give us the recipe for your dressing?

Pingo, there are lots of broccoli salad recipes out there.  I kind of used elements from some of them with a touch of my own.  I don't really measure so I can't really give you quantities.

I blanched some broccoli, dried it and cut it up small. (Two large heads.)  I love the stems, so I peeled and chopped them before blanching.  Then I added 3 large carrots, grated, some grated cheddar cheese, slivered almonds, a couple of handfuls of craisins, and chopped bacon.  I mixed it all together.  I dressed it with roughly one scant cup of mayo combined with a scant quarter cup of sugar and about two tbs of white wine vinegar, plus salt and pepper.  I let it all marinate for one day.  (If I'd had some red onion I might have added it.)  I served it with some of the leftover egg casserole tonight, and will serve it with the Italian pepperoncini chicken sandwiches tomorrow.

A lot of people use sunflower seeds.  I've also used walnuts, chopped.

Here's three links:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/broccoli-salad-recipe/index.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-salad/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-broccoli-salad/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, that's exactly the way I like it...can't say I've made it, but that's how I would. :)

Pingo, knew you wouldn't; I just like using his sayings when I can - they make me laugh.  (I never knew my great-grandfather; he died in his 60s of a rare blood cancer.)

Cleaned the shower with a foot mop and soft scrub; worked pretty well and didn't aggrevate my vision like traditional scrubbing would.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning - Pingo, I would be so irate at the "No Shows."  They would never be invited to my house again!

Kar - I'm so sorry to have missed your birthday - so Happy (belated) Birthday!

So hard to get up this morning.  I have a heated matress pad that is just the BEST thing in the world . . . until you have to get up, lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good ( Freezing!) morning everyone.

Kar..so glad to hear you are continuing to feel better.

Winterbride..I love Downton Abbey and am so glad it is back for another season. I stayed up the other night to watch the season premiere and paid for it on Monday. My Mondays start at 4:45 so I was one tired cookie by the end of the day.
    I also watched the special beforehand on Highclere Castle..it was very fascinating and I recommend it if you get the chance.

I don't remember it being this cold for many years. I am looking forward to the temperature going up to the 20's later today..lol.

That broccoli salad recipe sounds delicious ( minus the almonds). I think I may try it this weekend. Do you think it would be an appropriate brunch item?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Princess your heated mattress pad sounds heavenly. Cricket, I saw that I missed it, but I'm going to check the listings so I can DVR it. I don't remember it being this cold for so long, I'm looking forward to Spring. I think it's supposed to warm up Friday and Saturday though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

http://emmachichesterclark.blogspot.ch/

Hello, I recommend the blog above, which is written by a dog named Plum Pudding and illustrated by her owner, to all of you dog and cat lovers.

The broccoli salad is perfect for brunch, IMHO and we ate it last night with a egg and sausage casserole that I made for a brunch that did not happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Listening to the TV weather and checking the temps on their screen - definitely another inhouse day today for me.  Tomorrow and Friday tho, I'll be out flying around.  Want to get together with my Swampscott friend one of the days for lunch and exchanging our Christmas gifts.  Her gift bag is gathering dust!  lol

First of the year, time to clear out things, clothes included, and particularly that pile of ironing I have in the closet that I never even pulled anything from this past season.  If I didn't need/want it for a whole season, then I don't need it, and it can go in the donation bag.  I'm always complaining I don't have enough storage room, and yet there is just me and Cheerio living in 8 rooms!  Says something about my organization - or lack of.

I know what you mean about the heated mattress pad, Princess.  Altho mine isn't heated, the new mattress with gel holds the warmth, and I love it.  Has definitely helped my hips nights and I can turn over and sleep without having pain wake me  up in the process.  Of course, I'm sure it has something to do with the memory foam too, a softer mattress than I have had in the past.  Glad I listened to the salesman on that point.

SS, forgot to ask you if DD could snap a pic of Buttons, now that he's home, and post it.  I think Winter's Yoda took quite a while to adjust to being out with the family too.  Cheerio was just so glad to get out of that cage at the Animal Rescue League, that she was a lap cat from day one.

Time to get around while I'm still thinking of that hidden stash of clothes, and get to work.  Put stuff in the bag, and never look back!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Whew...that was a lot to catch up on....I had a class on Monday and another class tomorow so my week is a bit pressed...to say the least...and I am gathering tax documents...this is the major down side of the self employed...Thats o.k...It will take me a week...and then I have 51 weeks out of the year that I am master of my own time management.

We are also getting ready for Mom to move over here...SS...you may have to share your parking spot.

I actually have the ingredients for the broccoli dish so I am making that soon...maybe tonight.

We have Wacky Wenesday today...that is when the supermarket sells breakfast items for short dough...English muffins 3 for a dollar ect....well gotta hit the store

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

English muffins are such a wonderful emergency item!  English muffin pizza, cheese, ham and cheese, bacon, tomato, eggs - and that's a good price too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

That is why I get the for us and Mom...33 cents...u just can't beat it!...maybe I'll see SS there

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to icer's comment:

That is why I get the for us and Mom...33 cents...u just can't beat it!...maybe I'll see SS there

She didn't mention going over this morning.  I'm not sure she would venture out quite this early to drive in this cold.  Maybe, you never know -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hopefully Button adjusts much faster than Yoda did, he still isn't a lap cat. But we do get love, usually in the middle of the night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Click on:

If It Fits, I Sits

Cat owners will get a chuckle out of this video.  Wish I had kept the pic I took of Cheerio squeezed into the puzzle box.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Such a cold night. The house was only 60 degrees, when we got up. That's low for us. Quickly opened the blinds on the sunny side, and the temp is slowly crawling upwards.

Started my morning with an e-mail from DS. A photo of DIL's tummy in a t-shirt, I had sent her: "See you in January." Can't believe it is only few weeks away.

Had a very busy day yesterday at the office, and I was thankful to eat out, and not to have to go home and cook dinner. Have leftovers for tonight.

It just amazes me, how much collects, while I am out. I started from the top, and slowly work myself through the pile. Not finished yet. Plus, I have to transfer all the old 13 stuff to make place for the new year. I still have a few days to do all the tax stuff for the end of the year. Hopefully, with all the brain exercises, I will keep Alzheimers on bay for a while. LOL

Re the kitty loving. Our TX son has two kitties. One male and one female. The male is loving a cuddling - loves to be picked up and petted. The female is a beautiful kitty, but she is not friendly. She will scratch you, whenever she gets a chance. I still have marks from her claws. DIL says, she is just playing, but I really do not like this kind of playing. I am truly worried about her, when the baby comes along. But it is their kitty and they will have to deal with it. It is sad, but me think, they will have to send her to different pastures.

I make sure, I buy English muffins, when they are "buy one get one free". So versatile. I freeze mine, and this ways I always have a supply.

On my way to work to finish up, what I was doing yesterday. Have a good day everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@pingo    Sure, just discard the cat! 

Btw: Cats bond with each other, so if you get rid of one cat,  the other cat may exhibit behavioral changes.  Then they will have to get rid of him too.

Instead I would encourage these people to do some research regarding "Introducing a new baby to pets".

You can take a cat to the groomers or vet and have their nails clipped once a month if you don't know how to do it yourself.  Or groomers can apply gelcaps over their nails, usually will last about a month.  

Around here "Especially for Pets" clips the dogs nails for $7 on specific days, and some of the stores do cats too.  The money goes to charity to help strays.

Best of luck.

Ps: I prefer bialys to english muffins, worth the extra money imo, less ingredients

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to icer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Icer, Hi, Glad to share the parking with Mom, seeing as your the same age as one of my DDs, mom must be close to my age....I'm going to Wacky Wednesday too, just love Egg salad on English muffins. and of course with all sorts of Jam....

tt, Will mention the photo shoot to DD this evening....Buttons will sit on her lap while she brushes her or pats here, but if I come in the room, she runs right off her lap and under the bed...   I suggested that she move her food dish a little further out into the rest of the house each day....might do the trick.

Kar,Pingo,Winter, Hats and anyone else I may have forgot, please make sure you all keep warm, it is brutal out.....few more days it will be nicer....take care all and keep smiling, ss

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, I didn't say to get rid of the kitty. Sounds like throwing her in the trash. What I meant was, to maybe find another home for her. In laws have a large ranch, from where she came, and where she will be taken well care of, if needed to be. It's DIL's kitty, and I am very certain, she will do, what is the best for he baby as well as the the cat.

It just amazes me, that the two cats living in the same household, getting the same attention, can be so different.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

much like how astounding it is that kids born and raised in the same home can be and often are so different!  My mom and uncle as are different as night and day.  And, don't worry, Robin is the only one who assumed you were armed with a shotgun ready to dispatch the cat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, I have a feeling the kitty with the will be ok with baby. She could be sensing right now that something is not the same with mommy. I'm sure your DIL has a plan or has thought about it.

Robin makes a good point though, those two cats are likely bonded, so if one was re-located, most likely the other one would need to go with her.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't think Robin meant it like that, Pingo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"Robin makes a good point though, those two cats are likely bonded, so if one was re-located, most likely the other one would need to go with her."

Thanks Winter, maybe it is a sensitive issue for me.

The main reason pets are brought to the pound or given up to be "re-homed" is   #1 aggression  #2 allergies/ new baby  #3 financial difficulties/owner no longer able to care for pet

Hopefully these people consider the cats to be members of their family and will do what it takes to make the transition a smooth one for all involved. 

Eta: As of today 1/9/12  148,659 Cats   are available for adoption on Petfinder.com, alone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/pets_babies.html

Introducing Your Pet and New Baby

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, I appreciate your input and you make some good points. But I want to assure you, that DS and DIL are very responsible cat parents. As they will be with their baby. The cats are part of family, and they will by all means try keep the kitties. But if the situation is such, that it does not work out, they have a very safe place to place them. They will not go to the pound.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be leaving in a few. Have a nice night everyone.

Sections
Shortcuts