January 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: January 2014

Pingo, good work!

We had steak, baked potato and cucumbers.  I've just made two more wreaths...and have two more cut out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning.  Nice to see all of the posts!  I was actually working yesterday, but just got so busy.  I am also in healthcare (insurance) and we hardly ever close - we only get 6 holidays per year, so MLK is not one of them.

DH and I had a nice weekend.  Went to the New England Auto Show on Sat, as we are in the beginining stages of getting a new car and/or truck.  So that was good.  Also went to the movies on Sunday.

Pingo and TT - My MIL talked to Peter and he is doing well.  He and his wife are going to be coming by the house (really to see MIL) next week.  I am not sure what time and if I'll be home from work yet, but I did let my MIL know to tell him you guys have been thinking of him and wishing him well!  Hopefully I will get to see them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Thanks for thinking of us, Princess, and for mentioning our concern when you see Peter.

G.T. was looking for a new car too this past week-end.  Sat was kind of wiped out by the snow, and don't know what success they had Sunday.  I'm sure both of them worked yesterday, but will most likely get my morning email today.

Hate the thoughts of going out this morning, or any part of the day, actually, but have an appt and then there's the groceries.  A cold weather person, I am not.

Heard from the sunshine basket recipient yesterday and it was one-a-day Friday, Saturday, and then Sunday all the rest got open!  Temptation was just too much.  That's alright, by then the person was well on the way to recovery and out and about somewhat.

Jumping in the shower and get my hair dried, then some breakfast and it will be time to head out for a few hours.  Will check back in when I'm back home.  Cars seem to be going right along, so no black ice on these neighborhood streets anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Sorry I wasn't on I seem to have gotten a cold. :( I haven't fully caught up yet, but wanted to get this posted. Here is my Peanut Blossom recipe. I get 36 cookies. You could also use peanut putter cups, but I'm partial to the kisses.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup peanut butter

2 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

Sugar

36 Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped

1 Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, shortening, peanut butter, milk, vanilla and egg; mix with electric mixer on low speed until stiff dough forms.

• 2 Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
    • 3 Bake at 375°F. for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately top each cookie with 1 milk chocolate candy, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge; remove from cookie sheets.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Ok finished up reading everyone's post. I get MLK day off and have since 2003. I work in banking so get 12 holidays I think? We get a half day on Patriot's Day (out at 12:30). Princess we went to the car show on Sunday. The car I bought in September (Subaru)was there, only I saved money and got a 2013. We also finally were able to go the Bunker Hill Monoumnet. I did not walk the 297 steps, due to the knee surgery I had, I was afraid it wouldn't make it. DS enjoyed the views, but said it was VERY WINDY!  

I like all the crafts idea, sadly my son would have NO desire do them. He did help me bake the cookies though, he put the kisses on them. The cookies were a BIG hit. It was the first container of goodies to be eaten.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

So much was going on for everyone this weekend. Sounds like everyone had a great weekend.

Winter, so glad you finally got to see the BH monument. We tried several times, but for one reason or another, it was closed. Those steps are slippery, when cold. Did DS climb the 294 steps? Runners love it. Me not so much.

Thank you, princess, for mentioning his customers' concern to Peter. I hope it will bring him back sooner. His crew working there now, is great. But he is the one to go to, with  questions. So knowledgable. Please tell him, he is so missed.

My duty for today, is to go to the PO to mail out all the forms, I finished yesterday. Then I will stop and pick up a few groceries for the next few days. Will come back home and just wait for the storm.

Have a good day, whatever you are planning to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo DS and DH climbed the steps. I watched them at the top via the camera that the guard has in the fort part downstairs. DH said his calfs hurt yesterday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It is a very long stepping, Winter. Sorry about your DH's calves. Good you watched them on the camera, your knee would never have made it.

DS and DH made it up there and back. I wouldn't say w/o any problems. None seriously though. But DS was young and DH a serious tennis player then. Me? Forget it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS made it up a while before DH did. He was cute, he'd walk over and look down to the stairs, checking to see where he was.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, congrats to both your boys.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back again.  Was out by 9:00 this morning and up to S&S.  Not bad in there then.  I had my little list of 12 items, but of course, picked up this and that as I walked around.  Not so bad, because I got a couple of goodies to sustain me in case of a long siege!  lol

Now Cheerio and I had an oatmeal/cream cheese sandwich and a cup of real coffee which I didn't have time for this morning, and here's a pic of the couch we share - share? - she has 3/4s of it and I am squeezed on the end.  She loves that blue blanket that I had bought from the estate of the book lady in Meredith.  I used to love wrapping myself up in it on the couch, but now fold it and leave it where you see it, especially if I'm going to be out.  It's her comfort blanket, I think, holds the warmth, and she loves it.

Now I've got to top off the bird feeder and then get a wash thrown in and dried while the outside vent is still uncovered by snow.  I think I see a few flurries here and there.

Winter, thank you for your recipe for the blossoms, and the pic.  Can see why they would be the first things to disappear.  Hope you are feeling better with your cold today.

Wonder what happened to Bg.  She had said she was going to post this week-end.  I guess people get caught up with the busyness of their lives.  -  I've got to get going with my "busyness" and get a move on the birdseed and wash.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, cheerio looks very comfy on the blanket and the couch. Glad you were able to get to S&S in case you are unable too later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Those cookies look good!  Last night I asked DH if there were anything he wanted me to buy before the storm and he said cookies.  "But the GS cookies come next week and I already have Thin Mints."  No, he wants his Pecan Sandies.  So I stopped in to Roche Bros and got them - 3.69 there and 2.50 at Market Basket, but I knew the MB parking lot would be a zoo! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sometimes you  have to figure convenience and time into the ratio.  People say to me, "Why do you shop at S&S?  They're so much higher than M.B."  BUT, it's convenient for me, the parking is good, it's half the distance as to M.B., and they do have good sales and send me coupons like the one I used today "$1.00 off any meat purchase of $5 or more."  What meat doesn't cost $5 or more these days?  Got my hamburg.

Just had a healthy banana.  I love them, but usually only eat one or two out of the 3 or 4 I buy at a time.  Others go into freezer for Winter's banana bread.  Have 4 in there now.  For me, that's enough for 2 breads, since I only use 2 each time.

ETA:  Have the first wash in dryer and the second wash going now.  Birds are happily eating seed at the feeder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find this really cute.

[/QUOTE]
    This looks like a great Zachary lunch

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

So...We have been preparing a wee bit more for Mom to live over here...Honey is home and working on getting my front room ready to recieve clients

Tomorow is going to snow and the guys are greatful for a days work inside...so...walls up tomorow...me...I'm making them all calzones for lunch

Glad everyone seems to be moving forward...so much goings on!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Has your mother had any falls or trouble recently living alone and caring for herself, Icer?  I know you have talked about her living with you before, but not until it was necessary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh calzones sound very good Icer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Where has the time gone? I'll be heading out soon. Have a nice night everyone. tt, did you watch DA Sunday? Another good episode.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I couldn't stay awake!  Was so mad at myself, had rewatched the previous week's before 9:00 and just crawled into bed.  The rerun of DA will be on tonight so I'll catch it then.  Not a bit tired today - late coffee, remember.  Love, love, love that show.  Other nights I sit here and click and click trying to find something to watch.  Have seen Station Agent about 10 times now!  But I do like that movie.  Think there is great acting in it, and love the background music as they walk the tracks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I missed DA too so we can watch together tonight.  I'll have a cup of hot milk...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

TT I missed DA too so we can watch together tonight.  I'll have a cup of hot milk...

[/QUOTE]

I unfortunately can have nothing.  Acid reflux at night has me not eating/drinking anything after 6 p.m. and even then it isn't working with the protonix.  Son is bringing a couple of blocks to put under head of bed to try that - whenever they are down again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has your mother had any falls or trouble recently living alone and caring for herself, Icer?  I know you have talked about her living with you before, but not until it was necessary.

[/QUOTE]

She has been falling ...How did u know...She's a bigger lady...We have pull bars for her to pull herself up with here...but there....She has to call the Firefighters because we can't help..it will be better when she is here

Thank you for asking...sorry about your reflux

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Sorry about the reflux, TT!  I remember you talking about that, now.  I hope propping up the bed more will help....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

How did everyone do with snow amounts?  Certainly not the amounts (6-10") predicted for here.  Street is still packed down snow, and I see the plow guy has been here, but it's not down to the asphalt.  Still snowing very lightly.

Hats, did you catch DA last night?  I panicked at first because I knew the rerun was advertised, and then finally at 8:55 caught an ad that said it was on WGBH not my channel 2, and sure enough there it was.  A very good episode.  Gotta love that head of the housekeeping staff.  Enjoy the way it shows more and more of the friendship between her and the head of the footmen/wait staff.

Going to finish cleaning out bureau drawers in my b.r. today and taking more things that don't need to be hanging in my downstairs closet, and either boxing them or putting them on hanging rack upstairs.

What's everyone else up to today?