January 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: January 2014

That's ok, allready; it's hard to keep track of who said what and why after a number of pages. :)

Rama, good to know it works for DH who has a major problem, thanks.  $700 is a lot, but not if it keeps me healthy.

Winter, that's exciting!  My only suggestion is to measure how much space you will have per burner.  My original stove that I replaced had 9" diameter per burner and that was the only reason I got frustrated and started looking; I couldn't fit two average sized pots on the same side of the stove at once.  My new stove has 10" per burner and is a standard 36" stove; it makes all the difference right there.

ETA: range space was compromised by a slanted knob panel - it took 2" away from the cook space for aestheitcs.  Even stoves in a far cheaper price range don't have to sacrifice burner space. Bring a tape measure!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Out dashing around, dodging light rain this morning, but it felt so good to be out and breathing in fresh air.  One of my stops hit Joanne's Fabrics and found just what I wanted in the red grosgrain ribbon for those Valentine wreaths - if I ever get one cut out.  Even asked in there is they had them - she didn't know what I was talking about when I said foam board, yet I had already gone down that aisle and seen SMALL sheets of it, priced much more than the large one at Dollar Store.  Just need to make up a paper pattern and  trace and cut it out then I can call GD to come over and we can go to it.

Sorry to hear you guys have been sick, Novembride.  

Kargiver glad you were able to satisfy your steak craving.  My sweet tooth (teeth?) must have been talking to me when I was out.  Came home with a pkg of strawberry flavored filling Muskateer bars (mini), red hot hearts, and the red, pink and white Valentine candies.  Now I can't find one of the cover top candy dishes I want - probably packed it away during one of my New year Resolutions.

I'm thinking lasagna - so may just weaken and make up a big batch, company or no company.  Gals I worked with and I are setting up a final date to get together again, but I'm pretty sure we'll be using one of their Legal Seafood gift certificates to fund part of it, so I won't be getting lasagna there - don't order that when I go out anyway.  I like my own.

OK, one more look through fridge and then I'll make up my mind whether or not to start a pot of water boiling for the lasagna.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank, tt, the smoke (since still no hood) is still hanging in the air from my steak.  Ahhhhh.  When you have a craving best to indulge it sooner rather than later or you end up truly going hog wild when you finally cave...or maybe that's just me!

I love those hot hearts...haven't had any for years and now my mouth is watering for them.

Glad you found the grosgrain ribbon.  The board you are looking for is actually called foam core, not board...sometimes the sales girls aren't with it enough to say, "I wonder if she means..." and merely say they don't have it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Walmart.

Enjoy your next Legal's gathering, tt.  I wouldnt get lasagna there, either. :)

Speaking of Legal's, I bought haddock for tonight.  DH can have fish on days 8-21 of his cleanse if it's basically prepared.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I already have the foam "core".  Bought it at the dollar store last week or the week before.  I was just going to cave and buy a ready made undecorated foam core wreath if they had such a thing.

Yeah, my mouth is burning right now from a handful of those red hot hearts!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Winter, I vote for black.  My stove is black and my refrigerator is white...who cares?

Looks okay to me :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I just use a pencil and a cake or pizza pan (for the outside) and a bowl (for the inside circle) and trace directly on the board.  I can get 2 14 inch wreaths out of each piece by positioning them right up against the edges and bottom/top (nor tight beside each other but one touching top and left, one touching bottom and right edges.)   Wish I could post a pic!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, sorry, I understand, now.  Would you have a regular craft use for a large compass?  

Cinnamon yummies...oh, boy, and sticky red fingers?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I understand what you are saying, but I am just that way.  Used to be the same when I had to count and cut out plastic canvas for things I was making.  Give me a ready form to start with, and I'm fine.

I just heard snow tomorrow night?? I didn't know that.  The cold tomorrow I was prepared for, but not snow.  Good thing I went out today, I'd have had cabin fever.

Realized I had a coupon I could  have used for my ribbon in Joanne's - I'm always forgetting them.  I google them, print and cut them, put them face up in my wallet, and then always, well almost always, come home with them still in my wallet!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ah, sorry, I understand, now.  Would you have a regular craft use for a large compass?  

Cinnamon yummies...oh, boy, and sticky red fingers?

[/QUOTE]

No sticky red fingers, I tossed the handful right in!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Quite a jump from lasagna to what I'll now have for supper - realized I have some boiled ham in there I should use, so b.h. and cheese on oatmeal bread with a side order of macaroni salad with chopped pickle that needs to be eaten up too - glass of milk.

Found a beautiful carefully wrapped pistachio cupcake left from Christmas in the freezer door - guess what's for dessert?

OK, I'm threw hogging the thread now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ha, when I was little I ate one at a time from my palm...what a mess, lol.  

Ham and cheese sounds good, and that saves the lasagna.  And a cupcake, too?  What a dinner! Top it off with a beer and you'll be in nirvana. :)

I'm poaching the fish so it's cleanse-friendly for DH.  Making a lemon butter sauce he can have a little drizzle of. Won't show him how much I "drizzle" on mine.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If the mouth guard was prescribed by a neurologist for treatment of bruxism or tmj or migraines, in conjuction with a dentist; would some of the cost be covered by medical insurance?  Might be worth checking...

Ps: Botox injections are covered if ordered by a neurologist for the treatment of migraines, plus you could explore all treatment options for whatever it is you are diagnosed with.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok, back home early. Only reason is, I had to make it to the bank before 5. Been a busy day. And I thought, I could take a partial day off after the docs appointment? Never got a chance to check back in to the Forums. Boy, you ladies have been busy.

tt, you know, I can somehow see you in me. I lately procrastinate, before starting a project. It has never been like this. Always had several projects going at the same time. But I think as soon as you start cutting those foam cores, you will be running fast speed. I have seen they sell styrofoam rings just like that. Maybe you could use one of those.

Winter, I am so envious of you. Always wanted gas for heating in our house. But when we built, it would be a huge expense for us, as we had to pay for the main line coming from I don't know where. Then the rest of our neighbors could just tap into it, w/o any rebate to us. I would love to have a gas stove as well. I would definitely go with the black, if all your other appliances are black. Besides, all my friends, that do have the stainless, tells me it is a pain in the neck and wish they had never gotten it. Every single smudge shows up.

Sorry about the artichokes, Kar. Maybe they just haven't come yet to the Western part of the state yet. Hope you had a great shopping experience at TJ's anyway.

Everywhere I showed up today, I had the same question, "Has the baby arrived yet." The answer is no. I do remember my time with our oldest. I was 3 weeks late, and the phone was ringing all day long. DIL is not even late. But truly, it is a wonderful experience and questions, and i am prepared to answer it, as long as anyone will listen. LOL

Now, I think it is time to get a call in to DS in TX. They are obviously "nesting". He building storage in their garage. She is organizing drawers --- again.

Have a good night everyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny re the the babywatch...just a prelude to the questions after her due date comes and goes!  

Thanks, I did have a good TJ's experience sans artichokes notwithstanding.  Will look next time, too. They carried them last year.

Winter, I have to chime in with agreement re the stainless appliances.  They should have been named "Stained."  Not laughing.  MIL asked how I keep my stainless so pretty and I said I don't touch it and demonstrated my socked foot closing of the dishwasher and one finger back of the handle opening of the fridge, mic, and dishwasher.  When you do breath on them and they get dirty, I use QVC's Invisible Glass cleaner.  Better than any dedicated stainless steel cleaner imo...and I've tried them all.  I HATE OWNING STAINLESS...it's pretty until somebody touches it.

ETA: It's so bad that I don't want help in the kitchen; you can't tell people to not grab the handles with their whole hands or to close the dishwasher with their feet, lol.  And, when they leave, I'm stuck polishing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Winter, we converted from oil to gas years ago when we did a renovation to the house.  I never did put the line into the kitchen for a gas stove.  I have never had a gas stove so I never even thought about it, but now I regret it.  Gas just seems to be much more efficient.

It's funny, I have all stainless appliances and love them.  With just DH and I, they don't get that many prints on them.  I think it would be a different story if there were "little hands" around.  However, I have stainless steel wipes that work great.  It's really just the handles that get finger prints on them. 

Either way, good luck with your new stove . . whatever you choose!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Winter, go w/ all black. I hate stainless.  I am starting to look at houses and I know I'm going to be a realtor's nightmare b/c I cannot stand stainless. We had it in 2 places we lived in and it is a royal PITA to clean.  I currently have an all white kitchen.  Also a pain to keep clean.  Black, on the other hand, hides the smudges and crumbs. ;-)  

I've had a mouth guard for years [since law school - funny how I started grinding then....].  I don't recall paying nearly that much for it, but then again, it was about 15 years ago!  I hardly ever wear it. If you are getting it for a serious chronic condition, then yes, spring for it. If you are getting it to relieve temporary clenching due to something other than grinding [aka bruxism] then try the cheapo drug store one for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. If you have bruxism [which would be diagnosed by a dentist  who can see the damage to your teeth], then get a real mouthguard from a dentist.  You can 'train' yourself not to clench - or maybe it was just me b/c the mouth guard is so painful. It makes you drool like a fiend and it irritates my gums.  It's very very sexy! :-) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I have to say I love my stainless.  Yes, a bit more effort to clean but LOVE the look.  All

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Can't jump in re the mouthguard, only to say at one point because of tooth pain my dentist suggested I wear one nights, and I think the thought of that subconsciously changed my clenched jaw position at night - tooth pain disappeared.

As for choice of appliance finish, I have white and HATE whatever the handles of my oven, fridge, and area around the control panel of my dishwasher are made of.  I have even scoured them with SOS and still cannot get them white again.  I had had a black dishwasher and considered getting black for the stove and fridge when I bought new appliances, but because my kitchen is so small and the background of the wallpaper is black, changed all 3 to white, matching the wainscoting.

One of my sons, OTOH, has  stainless, and they are slaves to it.  2 adults, 2 kids and 2 grandparents, it seems as tho they are each armed with a cloth to wipe appliances, after every time they touch it.  Could never and would never want to be doing that.

Getting around, got up late, going out.  Check in this afternoon.  Icer, don't miss Y&R today, yesterday ended with Billy holding a gun on Adam at the accident site, and we know both actors who play them are leaving the show -

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT - Rustoleum makes appliance paint!

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7881830-Appliance-Enamel-12-Ounce/dp/B0009XB40I

You can get it at Home Depot!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If the fear of waking up in vertigo hell isn't enough to get me to train myself to relax my neck and jaw at night nothing will, I'm afraid.  I've had TMJ since having braces when I was 10 and did try the drugstore version before needing to get the real thing (college).  It's long gone...I have no idea when or why I stopped wearing it, but alas.

I honestly wouldn't care about the stainless and it's tendency to show every smudge if the smudges didn't bother DH.  I think if regular use finger prints don't bother you (as, actually, it doesn't me) it wouldn't be a big deal.  But, if you want it gleaming all the time, you'll get frustrated in no time flat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It just seems as tho there should be some cleaning solution to get the yellowness out of them.  They're only about 4 years old.

OK, one more game of Mah Jong and then I'm hitting the shower.  Chat later.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

The sun is out, but it is a cheat. Went to fill the bird bath. With yesterday's temp, I didn't think of putting on my big shoes and a coat. Was I sorry. Brrrr!

I never had a mouth-guard, so cannot say anything pro or con about them, but I do like Alf's idea to try a cheapo first. Then, if it works for you, Kar, go for the custom made. The only thing, I can say is though, it is an easy "$$$ add on" for dentists. DH and I had a wonderful dentist for years and years. Then he retired, and his two sons took over. And what do you know, all of a sudden we both needed mouth guards. Due to other changes in their office - "reorganizing, to make it better for the patients" (BS - it meant f. ex., we could not keep our hygienist and had to deal w/ a different one, every time we visited), we changed our dentist. This new dentist has never mentioned a word of getting a mouth guard. So, the old adage to get another opinion is so valid here.

Funny thing, Winter, when we recently was looking for a new DW, I was definitely looking for a black one to match my other appliances. But the lady at Tri-City was so adament selling us a stainless steel one. She kept pushing it to the point, we almost walked out of there. Lady, don't you understand, I DON'T WANT a stainless? We still bought our black one there, as it was the best price, we could get.
    Kar, I did get a such a chuckle out of your "closing the DW with your socks on". But I can so see, that is the truth. Will mentioned that to my friends.
    tt, I feel with you as far as white appliances are concerned. I only have one. It is a freezer in my pantry. I can't get the handle clean. And I have tried everything. But as it is off the general area, I just gave up on it.
    Nice to hear from you, Alf. Your avatar always make me smile. Looking for a new home? Best of luck.

Leaving shortly for the office. Have a good day everyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

One would hope and expect as much!

I'm probably on the you-know-what list at my salon for making last minute appointments for haircut and massage and then cancelling within an hour of them when my car battery died, but hopefully they didn't count that against me...I need both and, after I go start the car, I'll try to get another two appts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, dentists can be loose with what they define as a "need," and one has to do their due diligence to not get taken.  However, in this case, my dentist didn't suggest the mouth guard, the physical therapist did, and she has no vested interest.

Yep, I'm sure it looks as funny as it sounds, lol, but DH has a fit when the kitchen is clean except for the smudges on the appliances so I do what I have to do to not have to try in vain to make them look as pretty as new every day.  Hips, socks, sleeves - it all works to keep it looking better than you can make it after you've, gasp, touched it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

LOL, Kar. I can just visualize you moving around in your kitchen - ballet dancing. But hey, if it works for you - good.
    Black appliances does show smudges and finger prints as well and need upkeep. But they are really easy to take care of. Every night after dinner, I just go over them, with a spray bottle and a cloth, and they look as new as when we got them, which for some of them is 20 plus years.