January Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: January Chat 2011

Good New Year Morning,

Went to bed before the dropping of the ball in Times Square, but woke about 12:15 to the fireworks going off in Boston.  No New Year resolutions this year, guess I've reached "perfection" (haha).  Started to take down a lot of the decorations yesterday, want to be able to see the shiny surfaces of my furniture again, and clear away the clutter.  Always get a kitchen wall calendar from the great grandkids, and got all the appointment and birthday/aniversary notations on that, and it's up on the wall - fresh clean pages.

Cleared the birdbath of it's hat of snow yesterday and poured warm water for the birds, but they completely ignored it.  I think they've found their own sources of water dripping from my downspouts that are in the sun.

You'll notice I've changed my avatar yet again - a crow that had roosted on top of one of the small firs.  I love crows, as I've said before, and have several around the house.  I'll start the New Year off with him and then see what else appeals to me in the coming weeks.

Time for breakfast in my "back to normal" kitchen, which looks so nice and clean with the holiday things put away.  Hope this is the start of a healthy new year for all of us and our families, when you have your health, you have everything you really need to work with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good New Year's morning!

tt, sounds like we had similar days yesterday, taking down Christmas and general restoration of the homestead's usual appearance. 

However, I got totally sidetracked!  DH took the little tractor and plowed the snow off the pond down the street from us for the neighbors who own it.  The neighbor's girls and I ice skated!!  I hadn't been on skates for a few years, and NEVER on a pond.  It was so much fun, and I didn't even fall.  Although, being an old f*rt, I did put wrist guards on (from my unused roller blades) in case I went down backwards.  Landing on your palms/wrists realllly hurts.  I was sad I couldn't call my grandmother and tell her of my pond skating experience - I know she skated on the ponds, too, well into her adulthood.

So, for my goofing off yesterday, I have a lot to finish today.  DH wants to go shopping for a greenhouse today with a coupon good today only.  So, must rush around before then to finish the chores before he gets back from his walk with Gracie.

icer, caught your cute New Year's poem this from yesterday this morning - good job!

I echo everyone's good thoughts about the Chat and how it enriches my life so much.  Thank you for your kind words, and best to everyone in 2011!!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks for the up-date all!! Thank you Kar for the compliment about my (very) little poem.

Open house at Casa d'Icer went well, after the week our neighborhood had, we deserved a little lightness around here.

My son and GF moved into their new place,whoot hoot. Last week Gf's job was throwing away an X-box with a RockBand2 game. This thing has 2 guitars, drums, microphone, well it turned into a neighborhood Rock Band. I never knew one of my neighbors used to play drums!Had fun, and the best part is...not too much to clean up...another whoot hoot
    btw..Love the crow TT

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Happy 1-1-11 to you all!  I can't lay claim to this little ditty but it quite apropos for this time of year.

My Wish for You in 2011

May peace break into your home and may thieves come and steal your debts.
    May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills.
    May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips.
    May happiness slap you across your face and may your tears be those of joy.
    May the problems you had forget your home address.

In simple words......

May 2100 be the best year of your life!

Happy New Year to you all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, how did I overlook mentioning your poem?  Shame on me.  I love your offerings.

Sounds like the "thrown away" rock band game found a good new home.  I'll bet that guy who played the drums had the best time of all!

Already have brought down some more of the boxes to re-wrap the Christmas decorations and get them all upstairs at least, if not in the attic.  Had a couple of "Happy New Year" calls already this morning.  Everyone's optimistic about what this year can bring.  Best to you and yours -

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We've gotten some calls, too.  One from my dad, not so good.  His mother passed away in her sleep last night after reportedly having felt fine yesterday enjoying NYE with another son and his wife.  Upon her 80th birthday, Grammy decided to sit the family down and plan her funeral.  She asked me to sing the hymn, "He Touched Me."  I'd rather not do it a cappella, but not sure how to arrange with the church in Maine to accompany me.  And, much practice will be impossible...well, what can I do but the best I can.  For better or worse, Grammy and I were never that close, but I feel bad for those who were closer.

ETA:  Must rush around and finish the house, get dressed, and be ready to go out with DH when he returns which should be within an hour...sigh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer,
    My cheeks are red too. I loved your poem, but I got all wound up in the "end-of-year" at my office. Thanks again.
    Glad your open house went well. But why shouldn't it? You are such a gracious host with all your special goodies. Good that thrown away x-box came to such a good use.
    My eldest son is also a drummer (like to be called a percussionist, since there are more than drums involved). When he is around we all have a ball. When he used to practise 2 - 3 hours a day, not so much - LOL. We still have his first drum set downstairs, but now he uses a digital one with a head set. Thanks God!
    He once performed in the Hatch Shell at the Charles. Did a great job. And this is not just a mother talking. He could have made it far - had a couple of offers. But he doesn't like "the scene". He just enjoys it as a hobby. Does a wonderful job at the "Phantom of the Opera" drum solo.

Obbi, that is a nice "little ditty". I am going to steel it and send it to friends.

What a nice day it is today - doing "nothing". Hope you all enjoy it as well - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing, Kargiver.  If she had asked you to sing that particular song, I'm sure it probably is one that the organist at the church she attended, knew and played at services.  You'll do fine, and it will be a nice tribute to her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    So sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. I can understand you worrying about singing a solo, but don't worry - with His help you will do just fine. If you were not that close to your paternal grandmother, your emotions may not run away with you. That is what would worry me, if I had to do this.
    And tt is right, the church organist will accompany you, and if you print it in the program, ask the congregation to sing with you.
    It is a beautiful song and a lovely tribute to your father and his mother. Is't it one of Elvis' songs?
    Good luck dear and bless your voice - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Everything is at least down and on the stairs (hidden behind a closed door!), ready to be lugged upstairs and put away.  Furniture and floors dusted, dry mopped respectively, and things back in order.  Peaceful rooms again. Tomorrow I'll tackle the tree.

Knitted a bit on the ever ongoing afghan, and will check a pair of pillow cases I have to embroider to see what threads I need.  I have a box full, but some of the skeins are quite old, and I fear the thread weakens as it ages, so I'll go out and buy some new skeins for these cases.  Love to sit and watch TV (especially now on my big, clear, bright screen) while doing some kind of needlework.

Health issues are looking up - G.T. while he may still have stones, is having no problem with them, and my youngest who had the heart attack, took his family skiing this past week, doing ten runs down the mountain himself with no ill effects.  If family is well, all is right with the world.

Hope everyone else is experiencing as peaceful a day today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies.  You are right, the organist will know what to do, I'm worried for nothing.  Pingo, yes, I can get through it as we were not that close as long as I stare off into space instead of focusing on crying relatives. 

tt, so happy to hear your good health report for your dear sons.  Great news!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Kargiver, what a day you have had. How honored to e asked to sing at your grammys funeral. It is such a eautiful song. I'm sorry for your loss.You must have impacted her life to want you to sing that song. To everyody, Happy New Year, and thankyou so much fo your kindness and friendship. We are still having a difficult time, ut are fortunate to have professional support with D.D. Oviosley one of my letters on the keypad isn't working Why would this e, ugh! happen? eastsgirl

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good to see your post, bg, or "eg", as you are now calling yourself!  I used to have a key on my old keyboard that I had to go back and keep hitting to get it to print, too.  In my case, it was just a very old, very much used keyboard that had been passed down.  Kind of takes away the joy of typing, doesn't it?  don't worry, we'll figure out what you're trying to say without the "b".

I'm glad you have professional help that will continue to be there as you all go through this process with your daughter.  Hang in there, you've got a lot of people thinking of each of you, and pulling for your daughter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, glad you are starting off this process with DD with professional support.  So many families try to "handle it alone" and just let things spiral further out of control before they get real help.  You're a wise mom.

Pingo, yes, I think Elvis did do that one.   My father is flying up tomorrow from FL, and we think the service will be on Wednesday.  His brother is meeting with the funeral home director today at 1 so we'll know after that.

Not terribly cold but so damp today!  Got the wood stove going to take the chill off and dry things up.  Feels good, and you know who's plunked down right in front...

Have a great day, all,
    ~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    So sorry you have to start the new year with a funeral. But think of it this way, the year can only get better. And please remember, you have our support (whatever that means) during your singing of this beautiful song. I have had it in my ears, since you mentioned it. What an honor to be asked. You can do it.

DH went off to a tennis game this morning. Glad for him. He needs to get the distraction from all the issues, he has to deal with daily. And in the meantime, I have the time for myself to get caught up with whatever.

I have put away most of the Christmas decorations, but the tree is still up - lights on. And it will be until Epiphany. We did that in my childhood home and exchanged some small presents that night.

Such a damp day - fog and all. But I will take it any day instead of snow.
    You all enjoy this first Sunday of the new year - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, again, Pingo - the support of all my friends here is so comforting.

I've had such a hard time getting moving today.  The Christmas decorations are piled up on Gracie's crate, ready to be packed away.  The naked tree is still up, and I'm in my PJs, still, with the kitchen a mess.

DH is working on my elliptical trailer - he put it together, but when I plugged it in and turned it on, the panel did not light up (only the switch that indicated the power was on).  I hear rumblings down in the basement.  I hope he can get it working; I've packed on 8 lbs since Thanksgiving!  Too many bacon cheddar cheese balls, I guess.  They were good, though!

OK, off to the kitchen, then the shower or the trainer, whatever comes first.  I still hear banging away down there...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

So sorry to hear of your loss Kar, all those details seem daunting at first ...and then everyone comes together and things are allright in the end. But you know that

I am going to take down the Xmas decos that I can. Our outside lights are still a bit buried. I am jealous of all of you who are all picked up and put away, but I hope to join the group by days end.

Today is Mom's birthday, Now you know why I planned her b'day party for July 10th...I am thinking I might do that again. She NEVER would suspect it 2 years in a row!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer,
    You always make me laugh. Your ideas are so awesome. Mom's b-day in July? Such a great idea. We used to do that for our youngest, who has a b-day during school vacation. Celebrated it on his half b-day for his class mates. His teachers thought it was a great idea and passed it along to other parents with similar "problems".
    As mentioned before, our tree is still up - will be until Epiphany. That also makes it a bit easier to put away all the stuff.
    I still keep my wreaths up for a while. Kind of like the green with the red bows. Looks pretty on the house. Also, b/c it is difficult to get them down with all the snow still out there.
    I have added to our bird feeder set up. Placed a dish with basic seeds on my railing. Now everyone are happy. The bluebirds and the juncos feed from there. It saves on my sunflower seeds too.
    Best to you and happy new year - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, my step-dad's birthday is today and mine tomorrow, we're 71 and 39.  Love the "birthday in July" idea!

DH is taking me out to dinner to celebrate at my favorite restaurant - can't wait.  And, he fixed my elliptical!  He's so handy.  I looked at it and was completely stumped.  It would have collected dust forever if it had been up to me.

Tomorrow, I'm going out East to enjoy a traditional birthday lunch with a friend whose birthday is later in January.  We always go to Not Your Average Joe's because they give you a free entree and dessert for your birthday (via email club), and we love it there, anyway, and would probably go even without the coupon.  Our birthdays are just far apart so that mine expires before hers is available so we can't use them both, unfortunately, at the same time.   So, we split the reduced bill down the middle and share the savings that one birthday gives us.

The kitchen is slowly getting put together.  Since the trainer is together, I'll be working out after I wash the dishes.  I was secretly hoping it would take him a bit longer to figure it out and fix it, LOL.

ETA:  Pingo, meant to share that I tried the Sam Adams Infinium, and it was AWESOME.  Well, it was if you like that style beer, which I do.  In fact, it's very similar to my favorite, a beer by Ommegang's brewery in New York, Abbey Ale.  It came with a tulip shaped glass, too, perfect for the stiff head on this very substantial brew.  Thanks for letting me know about it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Glad you enjoyed the beer. Sons and I have been searching all over for it. Not available around here. My local packie told us, they were snatched up, before the smaller places could get to them. Oh, well. Even at Kappy's they were out before they were "in". - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My little podunk down isn't a specialty beer drinking place - Bud Light is VERY popular here, and if you can stomach that (no offense to anyone who likes it - DH does, in fact) you'd HATE this Sam Adams delight.  DH wasn't even interested in smelling it.  All the more for me, ha ha ha.  After the holidays I'm sure it will be available.  It's delicious, but it's $18/bottle (2 people) so I don't suppose they'll sell out constantly all year.

I worked out 50 minutes on the elliptical!  I'd have done more, but DH asked to have lunch ready for 2:00, and he has guests in the garage working on the snow mobiles.  Not sure who's staying, but I'll make enough for all and have leftovers if they don't stay.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What are you making for lunch, Kar?
    DH cam home from tennis and was all excited. He found a place near by, where they serve Dim Sum. I was just about to start lunch, but it was quite easy to put away my cutting board and knives. LOL
    Later on I have to tell you about my "miracle slippers". - Pingo

In Response to Re: January Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]My little podunk down isn't a specialty beer drinking place - Bud Light is VERY popular here, and if you can stomach that (no offense to anyone who likes it - DH does, in fact) you'd HATE this Sam Adams delight.  DH wasn't even interested in smelling it.  All the more for me, ha ha ha.  After the holidays I'm sure it will be available.  It's delicious, but it's $18/bottle (2 people) so I don't suppose they'll sell out constantly all year. I worked out 50 minutes on the elliptical!  I'd have done more, but DH asked to have lunch ready for 2:00, and he has guests in the garage working on the snow mobiles.  Not sure who's staying, but I'll make enough for all and have leftovers if they don't stay.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I bet your Stegmanns are treating you well - I can't wait to hear!

Lunch is nothing too special, just some roasted chicken thighs, butternut squash, and leftover quinoa/kidney bean something-or-other I threw together the other night.  Dim sum is one of my favorites!  I love Chinese food, and that's a lot of fun, too.  How nice they caught you just in time!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Again, Happy New year Everyone1 O  iette, What a faulous poem, I love it!.Kargiver, and your Stepdad, have a wonderful irthday.Again, thankyou for all of you for your thoghts of D.D. I WAS very impatient for her recovery. The M.D. convinced me that the appearence of a quick recovery wouldn't e a good sign. On a happier note, is anyone making a New years resolution? I'm coming up with some, elieve me, there's tons of room for improvement here. Kargiver, you must have a gorgeous voice.All of you have given me such great advice, and comfort these past few months.I guess you really never know what a kindness to a stranger can do. I am so grateful that I happened upon this thread, such good people, and ideas. I'll check ack in tomorrow. I have no idea when I'll get my  ta ack. YIKES.eastsgirl.(Well, I am from the east,at least)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy New year yourself, bg.  Good to see you checking in again.

Had a nice surprise, my nephew and his wife from NH, the brother of my nephew who passed away earlier this year, dropped in for a nice visit.  I had made a tray of lasagna last night, so that and a salad was perfect to put out for a lunch.  I think word has gotten out that dogs are welcome here, because they came with their dog, a pincher mix, who they were intending to leave in the car - couldn't have that, not after a Mastiff and mini doberman pincher had been welcome Christmas.  He was a very well behaved dog, slept right at my nephew's feet.  Turned up his nose at some cat kibble, but deigned to eat some of the Fancy Feast Beef.

The tree still sits, lights on, ornaments adorning, but there's always time to take that down.  This surprise visit was a much nicer way to spend the afternoon.