July 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: July 2012

TT, I've been away...and I don't have much to say.  But I do try to keep up.  My computer is in a non-air conditioned room, so I avoid sitting down for more than a few minutes.  But thank heavens for today's weather!  I have a long document to proof read on the deck today.

And Amber, want you to know that I thought of you while I was away....and was so pleased to hear that you were home from the hospital, when I returned.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning! Looks like issues BDC was having yesterday are resolved, thankfully. What a great trip to the farmer's market, tt. Too bad the toms were gone, but you sure made up for it wwith other goodies. Eggplant parm is one of my favorites. Ours are coming along nicely, but not big enough to harest yet. BG, Hats, Tulips...indeed, they are missed, and I hope they know how much their pressence is appreciated. I didn't click on the link, but not really a Bee Gees fan. Before my time, lol. I think DH will be starting his cleanse, and I'll lose my loast 4 lbs. Thanks for the encouragement!! I'm actually pretty pleased with my weight, now, but that last little bit will get me comfortably into my favorite set of jeans, and I'm not buying new clothes when I can do this instead. And, I'd like to start a new trend of keeping the summer weight loss in tact throughout the Fall and Winter. Packing on 12 lbs every year and having to spend the summer losing it is a drag. What to do with this GORGEOUS day?! Oh, wait, I haev a hair appointment later this morning in Worcester so will run a few errands out that way. Then, of course, must pick the berries and harvest dinner. Last night we had a carrot/turnip mash, steamed beets, and a cucumber, onion, and tomato salad. Winter, looking forward to hearing about Annie. I remember when it was in the theaters, and I got an Annie perm, lol. Great day to everyone, ~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good to hear from you, Hats.  Thanks for checking in.  I've been in Chat for so many years, hate to think of it dying off.  For a while there we had a lot of new posters and it made it lively with lots of different opinions being tossed in.  I myself, hate to post and then have a  long stretch of time (hours!) when no other post appears.  I think, well, there, I've done it - posted too long a post and it was boring besides!

Was the trip a pleasure one?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Hats. :) I post less in the summer because I have a lot more to get done without fail every day. I let the berries go on Monday, and then yesterday the rain knocked down a ton of ripe blackberries I should have picked the day before and now can't get to because they are hiding under a ton of thorns. :(

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, a very pleasurable trip!  Of course, I gained 5 lb. from all the food and booze, so now I have to try to lose that.  Can't really be more specific about the trip in the interest of privacy.

Because it's so nice, I am going to vacuum today!  That will shock the family.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I scooted around some of the other threads this morning and read with interest on the parents threads about mothers teaching their babies to "sign".  Made me think of "Meet the Fockers"  that I watched last night where Robert DeNiro teaches his little grandson to sign.  --  Anyway, prompted me to email pumpkin's mother and get her take on the whole idea.  Gawd knows when she will have time to pull up her emails, but hoping she sees this one and gets back to me soon.  He's 9 months now and when he crawls around does a steady stream of "mamamamamamama". She'd love hearing that!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Because it's so nice, I am going to vacuum today!  That will shock the family. "

Your last line gave me a chuckle, Hats!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, many parents fear that if they teach their kids sign language they'll decide not to talk, but nothing could be further from what really happens. The language center of the brain develops faster and they are even more prone to talk ealier than average if they are taught to communicate in signs before they are physically able to learn to talk. All my siblings did this with their kids, and it worked great. Kids like to be able to express themselves more clearly, too. Most helpful were the signs that replaced vague crying: I'm sick, I'm hungry, I need to be changed. Very easy to teach, and then there's less guess work and the kids get their needs met without mom going through a litany of possible problems. Everyone is happier. There are many books on how to do it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning everyone, I'm sitting here at the computer, but I'm watching my bird feeder, its awesome, so far today I've seen a set of cardinals, yellow and black goldfinchs, a bluejay and lots of sparrows.....the squirrels are busy just eating what the birds drop.....its so funny to watch them head for the pole and then slide down....
    tt, I love that music video Staying Alive, and all those dancers brings back lots of memories of my favorite movies...the Musicals.
    Winter, like tt, I'm interested to see how you liked the food at the Amish places, one thing I don't like is Shoo Fly Pie.....
    Drs. appt. later, just a checkup, then home to cook up my spaghetti sauce to have for supper tomorrow....I'm going to Foxwoods   tomorrow and we always have spaghetti then and in the winter its beef stew, easy to just heat up on those nites as I don't get home till close to 7PM.  Take care all and keep smiuling, ss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm curious as to my GD's thoughts, she's a clinical psychologist and I know that part of her education that she enjoyed the most was the child/adolescent.

It's interesting the different methods that come into popular acceptance at different times.  When I had my boys, it was all about getting them potty trained. Later, there was a phase of letting them train themselves when they were ready (ugh).  To get rid of boiling diapers was a big benefit to me as well as for them to be out of wet diapers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, I LOVE seeing those dance clips from the movies.  I had posted the link in The Commoners because they have a continuous discussion about Dancing with the Stars, and I thought they couldn't help but enjoy seeing these dance scenes that someone so cleverly fitted all in sinc with "Stayin Alive".  Confess, I did play it again this morning, but I'm only allowing myself once a day from now on!  The first night I had played it so often I was even having it as background music to my dreams!

Sounds as tho your mothball/doghair sock has worked as far as keeping the squirrels off your feeder?  The birds don't seem to mind the smell.  I have no goldfinches, and haven't seen the hummingbirds any more either.  Lots of butterflies at my butterfly bushes.  That's a good sign.

Enjoy Foxwoods tomorrow - more winnings, I hope.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning.  I did have a bite of shoo fly pie, I did not care for it. As for the other food, my DH is a bit picky, so we didn't go to places that had that food.  We went to a couple of smorgasbord, and I sample some of the fried chicken and it was lovely. However the Whoopie Pie that I bought from an Amish stop was FANTASTIC!!! 

I did not teach my DS to sign and he spoke early and had full sentences going that impressed his doctors.  He wasn't around other kids much until he started day care at around 2.5, so I think all the adults talking to him (not in baby talk) helped.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I can't pull up the video at work.  Oh Annie was very good.  We used to have a subscription to North Shore Music Theater, but when it closed a few years ago we let it go.  They announced their line of for next year and it's making us think about getting it for the 5 shows next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Zachary is learning sign language...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's interesting, Icer.  It does seem to be the current teaching method for the little ones.  Certainly can't do any harm, and I think it would be fun for both him and those teaching him.  Do you sign him?

Since the boards are wonderfully busy this morning, am  taking a page from Hats' book and picking this room to clean (not vac) but have already defurred the comforter Cheerio sheds on, flipped it, and moved stuff out from the walls to wash the floor - for starts.  That way I get the best of both worlds - chatting on the computer, and ending up with a clean, fresh smelling room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like you will have a productive day tt.  When we got home Yoda was hiding, but he came out shortly after we arrived and was hanging around me for the rest of the night.  Still couldn't pet him but he was sitting on the end table next to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think it's so cute the way he approaches you and develops a closeness - on his own terms.  Love that about cats, they're so independent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Glad to hear you are having luck with the dog-hair bag, ss. It is working fine for us. Not a squirrel near the feeder. They do come to the deck to have a drink of water and to eat the seeds the birds drops. That is fine with me.
    Good luck w/ Foxwood tmw. Haven't been there for quite some time. We like to stay over. DH plays Blackjack and if he is lucky (which he usually is), he doesn't like to stop and keeps playing until he looses a couple of rounds. Then he stops. I have gone to our room long before that. They couldn't pay me to stay up waiting to go home. He usually come home with winnings. Not a lot, but winnings. It pays for the room and dinner and some pocket money. I play the slots, and used to win "big" - $500 - 800. But they have changed the machines, so I barely make even now. Still I have fun for a couple of hours. We are not big gamblers, but go for the change of place and the fun of it and to have a nice meal. They have some great restaurants there. Getting up so very early to catch the bus is not for me. But it is good it is there, for the people that don't want to drive.
    My nephew's wife also taught her children sign language. I think it is great, the babies can communicate their needs before they start to talk. It was not in, when I raised our boys. Still they were both early talkers; we never spoke baby language to them. When we sold our first home, our oldest was about 18 months old. He explained the dishwasher cycle to our real estate person. It blew her mind.
    What do I know about a Shoo Fly Pie? So I googled it. Apparently they call it that, b/c it contains molasses and attracts the flies, so you have to shoo them away. Interesting how names come about.
    That Beverly theater is a great place. I used to have a Saturday matinee subscription with our youngest son for several years. The older one didn't care for it. It was great; saw some great plays for a reasonable price.
    tt, I haven't yet listened to your video. But I will. I usually don't care much for what is going on in the Commoners.
    Good to see your post, Hats. Like tt, I sometimes feel like the Lone Ranger here. So nice to see the "old" names pop up.
    Have to get the most out of this beautiful day. Have a good one - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Watched the video. Liked it, even though I am not a Bee Gee fan.
    Very cleverly done - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you enjoyed the video, Pingo.  It's the actual dance scenes that I love, and that green gown Rita wears.

Just walked out into the kitchen, and oh, how I wish I could post pics.  My wisteria is having it's second bloom, and I could smell it as I walked down the hallway. Absolutely gorgeous - it's loved all this rain.  I've overwatered (hard to believe in this house) my shamrock plant and it's dwindling away, more like rotting away, I suppose.  Sun is streaming in this window, so just moved it onto a table here to try to dry it out a little.  It was a gift 4-5 years ago from G.T.'s MIL, and was doing beautifully until I lost track of which day was my "watering" day, and it got a double or triple dose.

(Room is looking good btw)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, remove it from the pot if you can, dirt and all and place it on a couple of layers of paper towels, so the soggy dirt can dry out. Then carefully pick off any rotted stems and roots. If you are not able to get it out of the pot, then yank it out and repot is when it has dried out a bit. That is what my mother did with her plants, when she over watered them. Worked every time. Good luck - Pingo

In Response to Re: July 2012:
    [QUOTE]Glad you enjoyed the video, Pingo.  It's the actual dance scenes that I love, and that green gown Rita wears. Just walked out into the kitchen, and oh, how I wish I could post pics.  My wisteria is having it's second bloom, and I could smell it as I walked down the hallway. Absolutely gorgeous - it's loved all this rain.  I've overwatered (hard to believe in this house) my shamrock plant and it's dwindling away, more like rotting away, I suppose.  Sun is streaming in this window, so just moved it onto a table here to try to dry it out a little.  It was a gift 4-5 years ago from G.T.'s MIL, and was doing beautifully until I lost track of which day was my "watering" day, and it got a double or triple dose. (Room is looking good btw)
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Here is a recent picture of him.  I know they are all in the window, but he looves it!!! I was telling him how cute he was.

Notice how his back legs are barely on the sill.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

He's getting so big, Winter.  Did you ever happen to see that Iams ad with the cats, one of whom looks like Yoda?  I haven't seen it again, probably was on Bravo or Lifetime, not 4,5, or 7.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I know it should be repotted, pingo, but the laziness side of me wants to get away with just setting it in the sun.  Besides, I gave the last of the potting soil to G.T. when he was adding some new plants around my birdbath.  I'll see what today brings - the shamrocks are all upright and enjoying the sun and breeze.

Orchid has finally stopped blooming, one branch had been hanging on, but I see this morning it has dropped its blossoms.  Just keep giving it the ice cubes once a week still?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I haven't seen it yet, but I watch Lifetime so I'll keep an eye out. He is getting big.  His birthday is next Friday.

Sections
Shortcuts