July 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July 2012

Good morning! Yikes, you were up early, tt, about 30 minutes before us. Trader Joe's does have the best prices, I think, even though that doesn't always translate to being particularly inexpensive. The same stuff at Whole Foods can be twice as much! I'm disappointed about the contest, but they are still the best specialty food store in the game so I've got no plans to hold it against 'em. :) Cherries are the BEST in scones....the dough is kind of sweet, and like you mentioned, the tartness is a great contrast. Yes, they do have help; his folks are living with them and are a HUGE help and joy to have there. They also have a 2 yo, too, if you can imagine. Won't be on much today. Got to sign off now and get DH's breakfast and pack his lunch, then get ready to go East to spend the day with my friend and borrow her canning stuff. I ordered the Presto (cheaper) pressure canner. Should be here in a couple more days. Looks like tomoatoes will be my first try, lol. Have a great day, everyone, ~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Enjoy your day, Kargiver, sounds like fun.  I copied and pasted your directions for the turkey/cabbage stirfry and sent it to G.T.  They use a lot of ground turkey and also make big pots of cabbage soup, so I'm sure your recipe is one they would enjoy.  Sounds quick and easy too.

Reading your post this morning about the canning, I have seen wonderful pics in mags of shelves of different colors of the jars of canned goods, shining in the sunlight - put that down as a reminder to yourself, to take a pic or two of the fruit of your labor when you've put up some of the different veggies/fruits.  Could be a cover (or at least a pic to be included) in your book - when you get around to writing it (!)

P.S.  Suggestion:  Keep a journal and pen on one of the kitchen counters and jot down sentences here and there of harvesting the veggies - the canning process (successes and failures alike) - simple recipes like your turkey/cabbage stirfry.  I'll bet you'll find in the course of 9 months (time it takes for a birth, get it?) you'll have amassed potential anecdotes to actually begin writing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There is a lot of latitude in that "recipe," lol - I hope they find it helpful as a guide, anyway. No two of mine come out the same. Sometimes I make it curry flavored instead of using the Bell's. Both the cabbage and turkey take to so many herb and spice combinations. I'll post a photo later of the cabbage heaped into the "huge" 6 qt saute pan. It had to cook down some before I could put the cover on! A picture book with short stories and recipes would be fun. There wouldn't be pressure to be "interesting" every day in a blog, and it would avoid the mountian of recipe testing and such of a real cookbook. Hmmmmmm... DH just left a trail of dust, Gracie is moping his departure, and I have a big mess in the kitchen to clean up, myself to get cleaned up, and there you have it. Gotta sign off for real this time! More later. Blessings, ~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Daily Diary of a Country Woman"

"A Year in the Life of a Country Woman"

"Journal of the Seasons of a Country Woman"

I like the last best, myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Looks like we got some rain, good my flowers needed it badly.  So glad it's Friday. 

Pingo, DS enjoys camp.  They do not have a pool so as soon as he gets home (5:15 or so) in he goes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Winter.  Camp can be a great experience for kids if they enjoy it.  I take it they're not on a Lake for swimming?

Just was emailing G.T. about the Cape and a possible day trip down there, but they're not planning on going down until the Fall.

Have the stove to clean and a colored wash to throw in.  Cheerio has settled down on one of the wicker chairs, funny, since I defurred the comforter in here and turned it over, she's not been sleeping here.  She hunts out new places all the time and if I can't find her she's usually asleep in a dark closet on top of clothes that need to be ironed!  Yesterday I slung a folded afghan I had taken out of the hope chest, over the corner of the couch, and I can see by the indentation she was sleeping there during the night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ack, I've done it again,procrastinated from something's want to do! What is wrong with me?! Happy Friday everyone...this is IT, I've GOT to really go!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We're all drawn to this board like moths to a flame!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, he goes to a day camp in the town I live in, so no lake.  There is a town pool, but they don't use it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I knew he went to a day carmp, but was thinking, I guess, of Camp Nihan which is wooded and on a pond.

Stove cleaned, and I guess next on the agenda (I won't bore you with my task by task plan today) is doing as much as I can with defurring the l.r. rug before any company comes.  As his Nanna says tho, "Nana, he's got 2 cats and 2 dogs at home, so this is nothing new".

Muggy still.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning all, little  rain last night, but    so far today looks like a goodie.  Lots to do, bank, shopping etc.  Foxwoods was good yesterday, don't mean to brag, but I won $700.00 playing Bingo, afriend of mine (93) won $1,003.72 on a penny machine!! Could hear her laughing, just follwowed the sound, she was at a machine with a crowd around here, she kept saying "I can't believe it".... Take care all, ss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS!  My Gawd your luck is just oozing out all over the place!  Congratulations, that's wonderful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, where is that camp?  ss, that is wonderful that you won.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't know if it even still exists.  It used to be a boyscout camp in Saugus, I think.  I can remember we went up in there one time with the boys, maybe it was a boyscout jamboree?

ETA:  Just googled it, apparently it's still there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I guess the "severe storm" just fizzled out to sea. We had a bit of rain, but that was it.
    tt, such a great idea doing little notes for a cookbook. I wish I had done that. I am still working on mine, but keep putting it away for later. I am not always in the mood. Then after a while, I delete recipes, I don't like any more. I don't think I will ever finish it.
    You were certainly up mighty early this morning, tt. Is Pumpkin coming today or will you be able to take a nap this afternoon?
    Kar, WS send me a schedule of their classes for August, and they have a canning one on August 12. Have a great day with your friend.
    That sounds like nice winnings, ss. Especially for your friend on the penny machine. Imagine, if she had played the Dollar machine? Must have been a happy bus trip back.
    Nothing extraordinary on my schedule for today or for the weekend for that matter. Will stock up for PB son's arrival Wednesday and for dinner guests Thursday. Re dinner guests. I found a recipe for a Frozen Lemonade Pie. Has anyone ever made that? It is supposed to be an old fashion recipe. It is basically whipped cream and frozen lemonade in a crumb crust with a topping of Raspberry sauce. I thought it would be a refreshing dessert on a hot day. It is a make ahead too, but I am wondering, how it will freeze up.
    Off to work. You all have a great day. Looks like we are done with the rain for now - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Can you google from work, Winter?  If not I'll go back and send you the website.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Camp Nihan is still there. It is on Walnut Street just after the intersection with Rt. 1 - going towards Lynnfield. Our boys used to camp there with the cup scouts.
    - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That lemonade pie sounds delicious, Pingo, especially with a raspberry sauce.  I had one for years in my recipe box that I never made.  Think I finally threw it out.  Think it involved more than just frozen lemonade tho, or I would have made it.  Maybe condensed milk too?  If you do try it, let me know how it is.  Great summer dessert.

Nice your son is coming again.  Love planning what to have to eat when they're here, as I know you do.

I'm not a napper, no matter how tired I am.  Sometimes I can catnap for 15-20 minutes, but never when I plan it - usually when I sit down to watch TV after working around.  Drop off and miss the program I wanted to see!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just leafed through my desserts in the recipe box - don't see it, maybe this is what I was thinking of, a lemon custard-cake pudding that calls for frozen lemonade.  Glad I looked through anyway, because I have "delicious" written on the top - I'll leave it in the front of the box for next time company is coming - company as in, G.T. or Newton DIL.  They both love lemon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt.  DS isn't a boy scout. I keep asking him as it meant a lot to my brother and dad, but he has no interest yet, I'm hoping in the FAll.  DH went to that camp though perhaps with one of your boys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is it just for boyscouts?  I didn't read through the write up, just remember going there once, I think, so it must have been a one day thing like a jamboree of all different troups in the area.

Kids have so many other activities now.  I don't remember mine being in it for very long - "Weeblo" seems to come to mind - maybe the name of a troop?

What's for lunch, Winter?  I just made mini pizzas with tomato, cuke, mozzarella on an English muffin under the broiler.  (Like the thinly sliced cuke for crunch)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh tt that sounds great.  Not sure what I'm having, but I have to decide I'm hungry. Weeblo is the age between cub and Boy Scouts, my son did it last year for a little while.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes indeed, tt. It does have condensed milk in it.
    I don't believe Camp Nihan is just for scouts. I think they have day programs as well. Weeblos are the older cub scouts. Starting w/ Tiger Cub, Wolf Cub, Bear Cub and then Weeblos. I was into scouting for years at home. Retired as a troop leader, when I came here. It is a good program for young people. I didn't ask our boys; just signed them up as if it was something, everyone did. They both enjoyed it for several years, until they got a bad leader, that didn't care much and let them play hide and seek in the church basement instead of having some program going. They lost interest doing just that, and I never forced them to stay. Years later they both wished they had continued with another group. They still have friendships from their scouting time. - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Terrible time trying to move from page to page this afternoon.  I have to keep getting out of Chrome and then getting back in.

No visitor(s) so I'm drowning my sorrow in a new choc chip cookie recipe that makes a more chewy cookie.  So far liking it, but then, how bad can any choc chip cookie be?  Hesitated because it calls for 3 cups of flour, 2 tsps. of vanilla, a cup each of white and brown sugar - but I did all the ingredients in the amounts shown and like the taste very much.  Of course, there's salt. margarine, eggs and b.s. too.  When the final batch is out of the oven, think it will have given me 40 large cookies.

Well, what's everyone's plans for the week-end?  Dullsville, here.  I'll have to use the days to tackle 1 or 2 more rooms.  Terrible waste of a week-end!

ETA:  I've dubbed them, "The Ugly (but tasty) Chocolate Chip Cookie"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We don't have plans.  We are having a pool party next Saturday so I want to do so cleaning and organizing this weekend.