July 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Re: July 2012

Hi All,
    No big plans for the weekend.  Of course will visit Mom tomorrow.  My FIL is also in town so I think we are going to try to go to dinner w/him on Sunday, we'll see.

Having a hard time with Tillie going after Spencer - it's very inconsistent so it makes it difficult to train her to stop.  Her other training is going well, it's just that, however, it's becoming a big problem - he's going to get hurt. 

Anyway - hope you all have a great weekend!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have you spoken to the vet about it?  He might have some suggestions.  Too bad the trainer from "Dogs n the City" wasn't local.  He seems to come up with quite simple ("why didn't we think of that?") training methods for all kinds of problems.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Friday everybody.  Ended up working all week.  I'm having all the wood trim and doors painted on my house.  I really didn't want to be at home with all that going on anyway. Everybody is away.  DD and her husband have gone to pick up the girls at camp. That time flew by.  The guys next door are away.  Pretty quiet all around. My usual dinner pals are away, too.

tt, sorry your company did not come today.  I love lemon, too.  Any kind of citrus really.  I think citrus is a great dessert, especially after a big meal. I've been getting blueberries at the farmers market and eating them by the handful. Very sweet crop this year.  I could stand to clean a couple of rooms this weekend.  I'm sure I'll find some excuse not to. I have a feeling I'll end up watching a lot of the Olympics.

pingo, nice that your son is coming for a few days.  My cousin in Texas wants us to come again for New Year's.  I asked my father and he didn't say yes or no. Said he wanted to think about it. I don't like traveling at that time of year, but if he wants to go and see my aunt, we'll go.  I'm always afraid of a storm and being stranded somewhere. 

winter, how many people will you be having?  You're smart to set up this weekend.  I assume people will bring a side dish or something.  It's still a lot of work though.  Your pool has come in handy this summer.  It was so humid yesterday.  Yoda is a handsome cat.  Has he warmed up to you more lately?

kar, when I saw that beautiful cabbage and turnip, all I could think about was corned beef!  Too hot to cook it now though.  I like the idea of a stir fry - nice combination.  Hope you had  a good trip out east today.

Congratulations on your winnings ss.  Sounds like a banner day at Foxwoods. Have you seen any orioles at your feeder lately?  I don't know that I've ever seen one in my yard.  I haven't really gotten back to feeding the birds since the hawks took up residence in my pine tree.  They've been gone  a couple of years now and I didn't start up again.  Maybe this winter.

I've been expecting it to rain all day.  Looks very threatening now.  I think I'll duck out early.  Have a great weekend!

mothermitzi  

P.S.  princess, just saw your post.  I hope you can do something about the situation.  That's a worry.  You're very good to your mother and I'm sure she appreciates you taking her out every weekend. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

mm, I think maybe 10-15. People that DH work with that didn't make it to the Open House last year. Which means I'll have to have the upstairs clean and sparkly too since they didn't see the house before. I'm hoping they bring sides that is what I asked DH to spread around to them.  They will need to bring chairs as well as we don't have that many. Yoda wants me to pet him in the middle of the night and he'll rub against my feet like crazy and sit next to me on a table and purr like crazy. He's a man a few words I guess.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

PC, sorry to hear that Tillie is having some problems.  Poor Spencer.  I hope the Vet can give you some suggestions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice to see your post, mm.  Not very often that it's you with a week-end with no plans.  I'm sure something will come up.

Thinking of a stirfly (oops, slip of the finger, I meant stirfry!) myself, of sorts, for supper.  Have zucchini I need to use as well as that buy 1/get 1 free box of mushrooms.  Will do those two along with some tomatoes (on the vine that I bought at S&S - tasteless) and onion.  Probably cook up some brown rice to put it over.  Want to make up some tapioca too, to use up some of the extra milk I have on hand.

Only a very few light sprinkles this morning.  Was hoping for a garden rain, maybe during the night.  I think they're just teasing us in this part of NE with their forecast.  Other places have been really hard hit with severe thunder storms, taking down trees and power lines.

Better go put the cookies in tray boxes.  If no one shows up will start the freezing process of both them and the muffins tomorrow.  Have a good week-end everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a lovely evening and great weekend everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@princess-cal I have a dog like that, what I did was fill a spray bottle with water and when she goes toward the other dog in an aggressive manner I give her a squirt right in the face and say NO, it doesn't harm them but they hate it, and after a few times, all they have to do is see the spray bottle in your hand and hear you say NO and they stop in their tracks.
    You probably know about this trick, but I thought I'd mention it as I found it to be the only thing that worked for one particular dog.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

In Response to Re: July 2012:
    [QUOTE]@princess-cal I have a dog like that, what I did was fill a spray bottle with water and when she goes toward the other dog in an aggressive manner I give her a squirt right in the face and say NO, it doesn't harm them but they hate it, and after a few times, all they have to do is see the spray bottle in your hand and hear you say NO and they stop in their tracks. You probably know about this trick, but I thought I'd mention it as I found it to be the only thing that worked for one particular dog.
    Posted by Robin39[/QUOTE]

Thanks DL.  We have used that in the past, the problem is it is so inconsistent that you can't see when it comes on to stop it.  When it happened today, luckily the dog walker was at my house to pull her off of him.  We are going to talk to our vet about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

Just got home and have a lot of catching up to do - busy day on the boards!  Had a great time, but now am in a hurry to get the chores done.  SIL will be here tomorrow so even more has to be done.  I'll have to put off getting up on everyone's news, but wanted to drop in a minute and say hi and that I'm thinking of you.

Later,
    ~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

It must be Spring, or Fall, because I've been thrown into a cleaning out/throwing out/changing around frenzy.  You started it all with your one comment, Hats! You'd think I never vacuum, but it just hit me right, I guess. Began cleaning out magazine/book shelves in the l.r. while watching TV last night, some of the books that have hit the donate to library bag are three I had bought at the Used Books closing sale.  Tried, but couldn't get into them.  Toying with the idea of emptying out, washing, and re-doilying my china closet.  That's a BIG project tho, as all my crystal plus my mothers that had been handed down from my father's family, is housed there, delicate and so time consuming to wash and dry with the care they need.  I'll see how I feel about that in another hour.

Wrapped and froze all the muffins, and trayed and froze the cookies last night too.  Doesn't take long for either to thaw, in fact I already have a muffin sitting on the stove to go with a cup of coffee in a few.

Looks like the start to a nice day.  I hope G.T. didn't reschedule their plans to go to the Lake unnecessarily.  Since they spend their time on a friend's boat on the Lake, and having been on that boat during a storm before, they decided to wait another couple of weeks to go up.  Knowing them the day won't go to waste tho, they'll hit some favorite antique shops with a couple of friends.

The cats have been fed, and Harry has either gone on his way or has gone back under the shrub to watch the birds.  Cheerio is still deciding on where to take her morning nap.  the ironing board is out because another thing I did last night was get into that pile of clothes I call "ironing" and sort them out on top of it - some to be tried on and most likely put in the Vietnam Vets donation bag, some that are long sleeved to be put upstairs, and some that have a teeny tiny spot that I haven't been able to remove with a couple of washings, that were tossed.

Now, it's time for that cup of coffee and muffin that I'm sure has thawed out enough.  Might spread a little cream cheese on it too.  Hope you have a good day with your SIL, Kargiver.  When you have a chance, fill us in on your visit to pick up the mason jars and get canning tips. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning! Dh just left with Gracie, and I have so much to do I'm in a panic. Will have to read and share tomorrow...so stressed!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Take the advice for yourself that you give on Parents - you can't do everything yourself.  Some things, let go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Touché! Good advice from both of us. ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Had a tough time to get on the forums today. But now that I finally am in, I just want to shout a "hello". DH is waiting for us to leave.
    Your cabbage stirfry last night was a big hit, Kar. Thanks!
    Have a good day - chat later (hopefully) - Pingo

Btw. did anyone notice, the forum link has a different icon?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Taking a quick break after having been to the bank, liquor store, pharmacy, and grocery store as well as getting moving on the essential cleanup. Glad you enjoyed the cabbage idea, Pingo! Thanks for letting me know. :) I hope GT and partner will enjoy it, too. I haven't noticed the icon...I get in from a bookmark and don't click on any icons. Back to work for me before DH comes home and sees me "just sitting around!" LOL! Timing is everything sometimes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Froze all the baked goodies last night and so of course son just stopped in to pick them up.  Oh well, won't take long to defrost.  Forgot all about giving him some eggplant parm.

When he came I was in the room off the kitchen going through my multitude of cookbooks, and sat down and started reading one of them - you know the kind - give you all the basics if you're a new bride just starting out.  Some interesting tips in there, one was to mix o.j. with fluff to the consistency desired and then pour over pineapple.  Sounds good to me.

I had a terrible time too, Pingo, trying to get other than the blank forum page, even to read the posts.  Finally went to my history and deleted everything except my initial first post of the morning, and got back in that way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that's called Murphy's Law. But couldn't your son take them home frozen? Too bad you forgot the eggplant parm. On the other hand, that is one way to "bribe" him to come back to get it.
    You will like the cabbage stirfry. It was delicious, even though I accommodated it with what I had in the house. I forgot to pick up the ground turkey (Duh!) and I thought I had plenty of cabbage, but forgot I had used 1/2 of it for a cabbage soup.  So, I substituted sliced chicken kielbasa for the turkey, and I added half a sliced onion, one half red pepper in strips and about 3/4 of a cup of sliced cauliflower. With the vinegar and the syrup (I used Agave instead of Maple) it was scrumptious. "You can make that again" is a good indication, is was good.
    Sounds like a nice easy dessert. Right now the pineapples are so good. Just have to get fluff. Haven't bought that in ages. Wondering if one could do the same w/ Cool Whip and OJ? Haven't you noticed, that many of those old fashioned recipes are popping up again. Like the lemonade cake I am going to make for Thursday.
    How is your Shamrock doing? Will it survive? I discarded my Australian Pine to great dismay from DH.  I was so tired of it. I had it for years, but it had overgrown itself in height and was bare except for the top. The soft green branches turned into dry prickly ones. I had to prune them and always got hurt in the process. It was pretty, when I got it, but I never really liked it. I think it knew that. Now I have to find a floor plant to replace it. Any suggestions?
    It is getting dark here in Reading. looks like rain is on it's way.
    Hope to hear from Amber soon. It has now been almost 2 weeks post-op. With all that has happened to her lately, she must be a real trooper. - Pingo

Btw. When you are done w/ your china cabinet, you are welcome to come and do mine, now you have the practise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I ended up calling and bringing the parm over.  He did take the muffins and cookies home in a semi frozen state, but wanted to thaw them out because the fam and pumpkin's mother would be eating them as soon as seen.  Came back and tossed a couple of cookbooks and now am going through things in and on the desk in the toyroom.  Came across a "Dictionary of Classical Mythology" - do I really need to keep this?  I'm sure it's a holdover from one of the boys' college days - lol.  Yet still, it isn't in my discard pile.

I look at my plant every day and am sure it is slooooowly dying.  I will pick up a new one when I come across another.  I totally understand about your fir, sometimes it's just time to throw a plant out.

The cookbook that had the o.j. fluff tip is one I tossed but I can't quite picture fluff thinning out with juice in it, can you?    I don't think it would integrate somehow.  They didn't refer to it as fluff (written many years ago, and besides Fluff is only in this section of the country).  May pick it out of the bucket and see what word they used, maybe I misinterpreted.  No, I just looked, and they say marshmallow whip, so that by any other name would be "fluff".

Have a mass of shredding to do.  May do as I've done before and find something good to watch on TV, bring the shredder in there and shred away.  I get inundated with papers monthly from finances (small as they are) and now Medicare.  I like to keep the ones that have major tests or procedures I've had done, but shred the others.

I thought I had gotten rid of so much chatski, yet keep finding more on shelves, tucked here and there - too good to just toss, and I can't recycle because I can't remember who gave me what!

Ah well, back to the other room and at least get that desk cleared off decently.
    Getting dark here now (4:27).  Up until now it's been sunny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My thought for the day, taken from an email from a special friend:

Laugh often, long and loud.
    Laugh until you gasp for breath. 
    And if you have a friend who makes you laugh, 
    spend lots and lots of time with HIM /HER.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Too many cashews last night, I think.  Crazy dreams.  An Navy officer in uniform shoving a torn up letter through my mail slot from someone named Kim, that he found at a window company - going to pick up my l.r. rug that had been cleaned and was somehow delivered to G.T .'s with a price of $200 - a man and a small child using my backyard as a raceway for his little peddle car - and someone else fully clothed falling into my muddy frog pond which had quadrupled in size!

With that, I leave you for now, going to fix a bland breakfast!  Have a good day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, all my dreams last night disappeared on awakening, I'm impressed that you can remember yours.  My second cup of coffee is waiting for me, but Entemann's Danish was on sale at MB this week, so I already stuffed myself with that.

Kar, we got a lot of rain yesterday, did your garden get a good soaking?

BTW, I put my Easter lilies out this spring and now each one has grown a new stalk with two buds each.  I am looking forward to the flowers, and planting them in the garden somewhere. We'd talked earlier about forced bulbs not doing well later, but I have a corner where I dump all those things, and have crocuses and daffs that have made it through.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG tt, what crazy dreams. I had a crazy dream last night myself, but nothing worth elaborating on.
    Hope you had a nice visit w/ your SIL, Kar. Did you attempt to do some canning yet? I know you didn't have time to read all the latest post, so I will just mention it again here. WS have canning lessons/demonstrations in their stores on August 12.
    Nothing going on in the Pingo household today. I love those days, where you do "nothing". Usually I always find some long postponed house chores to do.
    Think I may defrost and clean my large freezer today. I have been trying to empty it out, so I can do it. Whatever is in there now, I can fit in a large cooler and DH is here to help me.
    Have a good day all. Chat later - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, good morning, you old sleepheads!  I've been on another blog chatting away waiting for this one to wake up!

Hats, I've found the secret to remembering my dreams is to lie perfectly still when I open my eyes, and not move my head, and go back over them then and repeat them to myself a couple of times.  Seems as tho once I move my head, they're gone.  Mine are always busy, full of people.

Have Auction Kings on - 38 I think - enjoy that program.  Used to be a real auction around here when we were first married and I used to love to go to that.  This one on TV takes place in Atlanta GA.  All kinds of things any one of us might come across, some go for a lot of money, some are a disappointment.  The auction house takes 20% of whatever the final bid is.  Wish it were closer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

HELLO !   I have been having so much trouble logging in, that I gave up. Finally , now, after multiple tries, it decided to let me in.  It would even give me the option to log OUT at the top, but I was not logged IN.  I have so much to catch up on-I was reading a couple of weeks ago, but got so frustrated trying to get in,that  I gave up. Computer rage? BDC rage!  All is OK here--I did see Amber is home, but need to go back and read all I have missed.  DH is OK-no issues lately, Got a new little kitty last weekend. She is all black, with a tiny bit of white under her chin. Very frisky, as kittens are, she loves to jump up on our legs, and climb up to be held. Very painful if I  do not have jeans on. And she loves to sit beside the computer up on the desk in the DR. Watches me play mahjong, and tries to catch the cursor sometimes.  She walks right across the keyboard. *//////////////////////////////////////////
    Perfect timing---that was her message to you all!
    Going to try to catch up now-kind of overwhelming-I have not read anything recent.