July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

July 2013

Good morning everyone! I've never started a post before. Hope eveyone had a nice weekend, I haven't caught up yet, but wanted to say Happy July!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July 2013

Good morning and happy July! 

Thanks for kicking it off, Winter - I'd have gone to June.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning and Happy July!
    Half the year flew bye, didn't it? Just made reservations for airport parking. We will be leaving early Wednesday morning. I am looking forward to it, but now a bit nervous with the extraordinary heat wave they are having in TX at present. Looking at the weather map, it didn't reach  SAT yet, but it is close. I am hoping for the best. There is of course A/Cs all over the place, but during times like this, there are often black outs  due to the heavy load of users.
    With our traveling in mind, DH and I worked late at the office last night. Dinner was leftover lasagna. It was even better last night.
    It sounds like your party went well, tt. I can just imagine, how tired you must have been. Noise and commotion is not my cup of tea either. I meant to ask,  baby showers for siblings, is this a new thing? Didn't used to be just for the first one? Is "mom" still on a holding pattern?
    What a lovely idea for DH and DS to throw a graduation party for you MC. I am sure you have earned it and deserved it.
    Ready to leave for the office. Want to take off tomorrow, so I can prepare the house and my plants for vacation. Plus packing of course. I also want to get that pedicure in, I missed the other day. So it will be busy two days.
    Have a good day everyone. I am hoping for some rain. The yard needs it.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Good you started a new month thread, Winter, I'd have continued right on June's.

GD sent an email this morning with a link to the Wikipedia definition of the new baby's Gaelic name.  I had already googled it when I got home last night.  As I say, love the nickname which they're already calling him.

Wasn't really a shower, Pingo, altho I know it seems that way.  She comes from a very large family of nieces and cousins, and she knew everyone would bring gifts when the new little one is born.  With pumpkin only 18 mos. old, they have all the clothes, toys, both of the boys will need until they're 5!  What they will need are diapers and wipes!  So, she, very smartly I think, decided to have a party to welcome him ahead of time, and instead of clothes neither of the boys will ever get to wear, (and we aren't a money giving group) ask for what would really be needed.  Had a swell time, whatever you choose to call it.  Her mother is very nice and we hung out together slightly "away from the maddening crowd" !  haha

Got an email off to G.T. first thing, because as with the pumpkin, he has made a quilt, one square of which will have all the birth particulars embroidered on it.  Btw, she did thank me for the poem, and said she had hoped, but didn't want to ask, for one to hang on his wall, as she did the one I wrote for pumpkin.  A sentimental girl, this one.

Well I'm starving this morning.  Downed my hermit and coffee, and then had a bowl of T.J.'s cranraisin granola, but that still hasn't done it.  Oh, yeah, had half a banana too.  Guess I should be satisfied with all that and hold off til mid morning at least for some fruit.

Winter, what did your son think of the museum?

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT try drinking some water, your craving may actually be thirst after yesterday.....I am glad they liked the poem and will frame it for the littler pumpkin.  I too am shocked that half this year is already gone. 

Winter, glad you got to start the thread this time.

Pingo good luck in the heat, it's so humid here that it feels hotter than it really is...maybe you will find TX a relief as long as the power stays on.

Hope everyone else had a nice weekend.  The forecast, I think, put a lot of people off making plans; we drove to and from Maine yesterday without running in to a speck of traffic.  Very unusual.  Bak to the daily grind although the summer lull has begun; very little on the calendar for the weekdays for the next two weeks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, he thought it was ok, it's not as exciting as I thought. They don't have bronze busts like the Baseball hall of fame. He had the most fun at the courts they have there, and the different games you can play. Was clever of your GD to ask for diapers and wipes. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, smart girl, that Pumpkin's mom. Asking for something that will be really useful for her. I was actually just asking in general. Those second and third child baby showers are showing up everywhere.
    Last week I got an invitation to a "second" bridal shower. The first marriage only lasted 3 years.   At that time we gave the bride a very nice shower gift and a generous wedding gift. The wedding will take place in Montreal, and I know, we will not be attending. The shower will be here in Boston and her registry is not modest. I am a close friend of the bride's mother, so I can't miss the shower. I am racking my brain trying to come up w/ a small useful shower gift. For sure, it won't be one from her registry. Even this new marriage I don't think will last, though I certainly hope so. She is a very compulsive girl (changed her college degree 3 times and never finished).
    You are right, Hats. The humidity got me quickly inside this morning. Not a very peasant morning.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.  nad
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone.  Missed the end of June posts - no internet for a couple of days plus last minute party stuff.  Wanted to let you know that your advice was spot on - guests loved choosing from the photo centerpieces to take as keepsakes.  Baby girl did great and we all had a fun time! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, I think you should arrange to be out of town for this do.  "If you don't attend, you need not send." 

In response to pingo's comment:

Last week I got an invitation to a "second" bridal shower. The first marriage only lasted 3 years.   At that time we gave the bride a very nice shower gift and a generous wedding gift. The wedding will take place in Montreal, and I know, we will not be attending. The shower will be here in Boston and her registry is not modest. I am a close friend of the bride's mother, so I can't miss the shower. I am racking my brain trying to come up w/ a small useful shower gift. For sure, it won't be one from her registry. Even this new marriage I don't think will last, though I certainly hope so. She is a very compulsive girl (changed her college degree 3 times and never finished).
    You are right, Hats. The humidity got me quickly inside this morning. Not a very peasant morning.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.  nad
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novem, glad to hear the party was a success - especially the keepsake gifts of the photos.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Back from the chiropractor, and boy did I need that appointment this morning!  MY NECK.  I'm glad the strawberries are about done and the blueberries allow one to stand comfortably and pick away - no problem to do that all day.  They aren't quite ready yet, though, so there will be a welcome lull.

Nov, I wish we could post photos - would love to have at least an anon version of one of your party.  So glad the photo favors turned out as we'd expected.

tt, is it the humidity - I'm starving today, too!  Got up and ate right away which is unusual for me; just not that hungry until about 9.  Had yogurt and a rather large bowl of frosted TJ's mini-wheats., and now I feel like I didn't have a bite all day.  Famished.

Pingo, Wednesday departure - wow, taht came up fast.  I hope you have pleasant weather, not the heat wave.  Hope you can square things away without being too stressed before you go.

Winter, how was Sunday night with your family for dinner?  Hope you had a wonderful time.

Hats, we agree on Pingo's second shower invite advice.  Pingo, unless you feel in your heart that you really WANT to do it, again, you are certainly not obliged imo.  Sounds like you'd rather not so just decline and that'll be fine.

Gracie is seeing the surgeon today; I just made the appointment and was thrilled they had a spot open right away.  If she needs surgery on her other back leg we'd rather get that ball rolling sooner rather than later so she can be at least 90% healed when the snow comes.  Here we go, again.  We've been watching a recurrent limp and her regular vet said she might have a small tear that could heal, but post seeing and half killing herself to get to a coyote in the back yard last week she obviously did damage.  At least she didn't also have a tangle with the coyote.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Went back to read about litle pumpkin's party, tt.  Sounds like fun, but nice to come back to the quiet.  I've heard of people having second showers for just the necessities (diapers, bottles, girl clothes if older sib was a boy kid of stuff).  They are called "Sprinkles." 

I wish I could post a photo from the party.  Baby girl has the hang of walking now, and even runs a little.  She was a riot tearing up and down the dance floor in her party dress and sparkle shoes.  The food was delcious - pulled pork sandwiches, mac and cheese, chicken tips, pasta salad and garden salad.  It was really a fun day.  But I was beat!  Luckily I planned ahead and had everything for today ready (including counting on leftovers for dinner tonight), so I went to bed at 8:45!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Darn it, wanted to walk Gracie before an hour car ride and doc's appointment, but it is POURING.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I hope she doesn't need surgery on the other leg. Dinner last night was good, it was great catching up and a neighbor friend of DS' came over towards the end and he enjoyed the pool company. 

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Party sounds great, Novem.  Love to see what people pull aside for food.  My GD made a ziti, chicken/broccoli dish and a regular ziti with sauce and mozzarella and had a crockpot of mtballs.  There were cold cuts and rolls.  Friends brought chicken salad sandwiches and different kinds of dips with crackers.  The dessert table was what was bulging under the weight of goodies!  The baby buggie cake came from Costco and had a choc mousse filling, very good.  There were chocolate peanut butter cup pastries, blondies, mini blueberry squares, lacey cookies, and I brought the half moons and hermits.  A nice selection for whatever tickled your sweet tooth.  -  Cute name "sprinkles", never heard that one.

Love the description of your little one traipsing up and down the dance floor.  So cute and uninhibited at that age.  Pumpkin was a bit overwhelmed.  He, of course, had seen these kids before, but I saw him crawl up next to a teenage cousin and curl up against her, watching the goings on - only for a few minutes, and then he was right back down again, chatting his "digga digga digga" and a few new sounds, arms gesturing!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry to hear that Gracie might have injured herself again, Kargiver.  I know you mentioned in a post about her going crazy when she saw a coyote, but I didn't realize she was outside and actually went after it.  As you said, thank God she didn't tangle with it.  Hope the vet feels rest, heat or ice, and then gentle exercise will heal it.

A few fireworks going off here today, the 4th must be coming!  Hasn't been muggy here at all, in fact have had a few summer showers, and I put a cover up on over my T shirt at one point.  Having soup for supper and thinking of making some plain baking soda biscuits to go with.  My ulterior motive is to toast them with butter under the broiler for breakfast - love that.

ETA:  Have to post an update on my baby cardinal - walked out into the kitchen to this consistant/insistant twittering chirping.  Took me a few minutes to locate where it was coming from - I have the wheelbarrow turned over under the wisteria and the female cardinal was jumping down there on the ground, under the shelter of the overturned wheelbarrow, dropping seeds into the baby's beak!  The baby has started to get some of its identifying red feathers now, no longer looks like a common sparrow.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tornado warning - Ipswich, Essex, Gloucester - just called my son because usually he is out on a pond with the boat - they saw a funnel cloud in Peabody which freaked his kids out.  So just a heads up for any of you out and about on the North Shore.

ETA:  Wilminton/Woburn also under the watch - over 128, hope you are aware of the storms, Pingo.  Some contain funnel clouds that because of the heavy rain you wouldn't see until they are right on top of you.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh no. I heard there was a tornado in Middleton. I'll be heading out on 93 N in about 11 minutes.

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I don't think anything has been confirmed as of yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you for well wishes for Gracie, but she is going in July 23rd for surgery #2.  Trying not to cry...

I like the "Sprikles" idea.  Moms of post-first baby DO need stuff, just not all the same stuff they kept from the first baby.  Diapers.com is where the triplets' mom shops regularly and gets great deals.  

Definitely be careful out there; I did get caught in that terrible flooding and blinding downpour like Pingo did the other day.  Very bad.  The way home was nearly rain free.

Wishing even more that we could post photos with confidence - would love to see the baby cardinals.  What a view you have, tt!

Gotta get caught up with the housework...had a big chunk of the day taken out given the surgeon is just over an hour away.  Forgot that the GPS underestimated that route by 10 minutes consistently.

ETA:  Winter, glad you had a fun gathering Sunday with extra guests for DS, too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, so sorry to hear Gracie is limping on the other leg. Hope surgery will not be needed. Maybe they can make it heal with a splint. But if she has to go throught it, better now than later, before it gets worse. At least this time you know, what to expect. Besides she is now more mature, and hopefully will understand better. Dogs are smart.
    Glad to hear your party went well, November. No wonder you were beat. Sounds like you are a good organizer thinking ahead. I like to do the same, whenever I can.
    Nice day yesterday for a pool party, Winter. The pool will be such a magnet for DS and his friends all summer long.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, tt, for the tornado warning. I hope it will be all over before I leave. Sitting here, no one knows, what is going on outside. Except it was pouring heavily a couple of times. I wished for rain in my post this morning. I believe someone heard me, and was extra generous.
    Still a couple of hours before I can leave. I want a clean desk, so I don't have to show up tmw.
    DH will be working even later, but we will go and get a bite to eat somewhere close by.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo, but the surgery is scheduled and most likely necessary.  He can't know for SURE until she's sedated, but he'll just not do the surgery if that's the case.  That was the situation last time, and it turned out to be torn.  I'm nearly 100% sure it's happening. :(  But, like you say, we've all been through this before, including our smart, older girl, so it won't be as bad.  And, I know better than to give her ANY extra walking in the yard other than to do her business.  That was what caused her swelling and necessitated having a drain tube inserted.  UGH.  Won't be making THAT mistake, again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The warnings have been taken down.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, it was only a mess and a half here the 30 minutes before we had to leave and the entire drive to the doctor's office.  Now, light and not raining a drop.

The other good news is that obviously Graice remembered everyone there with glee; she wiggled the way she does when she recognizes people she likes.