July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: July 2013

Poor baby.  Sorry she has to have the operation, Kargiver.  But this time you recognized it for what it probably is, and are having it taken care of much sooner - seems as tho that should result in a faster, easier recuperation.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, for anyone following the photo saga in the LoseIt threads, right this very minute, my old "BEFORE" photo is currently posted on the last page of the June LoseIt thread, and my new "AFTER" photo is on the first page of the July LoseIt thread.  

(this is the opposite of the captions that go with the pictures but I don't dare edit a thing so as not to get the photos to be the same one, again, either both Before or both After.)

For anyone not following, sorry for the interruption!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Happy July 1 everyone :-) This afternoon's crazy weather brought flashbacks of last Monday's storm and the whole tree fiasco. Thankfully it seems like we were spared this  time..but watching the news and there's a lot of damage even if no confirmed tornadoes.

Kar..so sorry to hear about Gracie...so stressful for you all..but I am sure she will come through just fine and thankfully she has you to take such good care of her.

Pingo...I always like lasagna better the second time around. Not sure why but it always tastes better reheated. Also..I am in agreement with the others regarding the "second" bridal shower...especially if she has such an expensive registry.  I would be unavailable as well...but if you do decide to attend then I think a card with a token gift card or cash gift would be perfectly acceptable. I've done that many times before when the gifts on the registry are beyond what I want to pay.

TT...that's so cool about the cardinals.. I haven't seen my cardinal family since the lawn got mowed...but I've heard them so I know they are not far.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. :)

tt, yes, the less damage she has going in the easier it is for it to be fixed and the better the outcome, generally.

we're processing it...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

pingo, if you do feel the need to give a gift, how about a couple of bottles of wine in your hand made bags? 

Hubby rec'd a phone call at work about the tornado watch, told him to go to the basement; he was already there so no worries!

I made chicken salad with the costco chicken, pecans, cranraisins and lots of finely minced celery.  Subbed greek yogurt for half the mayo which made it taste tangy, but don't tell my family because they don't like yogurt.  Hubby said he could eat it every day ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds delightful, hats!  I do the "don't tell" trick all the time - everyone loves my cooking unless they know it's healthy before they eat it, lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I'll try just one more time - previous almost completed post - went poof when I hit a key -

Your chicken salad combo sounds delicious, Hats.  I'll keep it in mind and try it next time I'm making the chick salad plates for the boys.  I know what you mean, funny how some people love what you've made until they find what's in it.  The neighbor I used to play cards with loved my whoopie pies until she pressed and I reluctantly told her (because I know she is a butter snob) that Crisco was in the filling.  THEN, all of a sudden after years of enjoying them, she could TASTE the Crisco in them!  Irritated her no end that  her husband continued to enjoy them and in fact, asked I put in even more filling!

Cool right now, but I guess chance of showers, etc., during the day.  Am going out today and tomorrow.

Haven't heard anything on the boards about the 4th - what are you and your family's celebration plans?  None here, since DIL who usually has the cookout is in Hawaii right now.  Haven't gotten any pics from them yet.  I'm sure they're calling home daily to talk to Lilly, I'll have to talk with my son today to see how she's doing. 

Time's moving, so I'd better too.  Want to get out by 10:00.  Check in later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Sorry Gracie needs surgery Kar. Good thing to have it now so she is better for the winter.Lasagna is always better the next day. Now I'd like lasagna. We will be having a pool party on the the Fourth, so I'll have to hit the market tomorrow after work. I have someone bring potato salad and fruit salad. I will make a pasta salad and we will have hamburgers and hot dogs. We have 7 confirmed plus the three of us. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My first post went poof as well.

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Heading north on Wednesday evening as soon as I can break free from work!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is this your first 4th celebration at your new house, Winter?  Pool/cookout celebrations are so much fun, everyone can be in and out of the pool to keep themselves comfortable.  I'm sure DILs SIL will still have the cookout, but it will mainly be a guy thing and probably a bit too raucous for their sedate grandmother!  lol

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sorry to hear, that Gracie definitely have to be sedated and have another surgery.
    Hats, that's the chicken salad I make all the time, but never thought of substitute half the mayo w/ yogurt. Will do that the next time. My family likes yogurt.
    Re the lasagna. I know you all are meat eaters, but if you want to try a meat less sauce, substitute the meat with coarsely chopped mushrooms - I used two large boxes. Dry saute them, sprinkle w/ salt and saute until their liquid is gone. Then continue with the rest of your recipe. I also layered thawed, frozen spinach I had drained and squeezed in btw. the layers.
    I know, what I will be doing on the 4th. I will be on a ranch in TX. There will be hay rides and DIL told me they will be roasting a piglet. They will have fireworks and they will shoot their two home made canons.
    Busy day yesterday at the office. Today will be busy too - but at home. Rain or shine I have to run several errands too.
    Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, again, everyone re Gracie.  I'm ordering her a new bed today for her to get used to and break in before she is in recovery...sigh.

tt, I don't understand the butter snobs - butter has different chemical properties than crisco - sometimes it's called for others it isn't.  Your whoppie pies wouldn't come out right at all with butter, LOL!  What the heck???

allready, have fun at the lake. You go to Winnie, right?

Pingo, tomorrow's the day - are you ready?

Winter, sounds like a fun sized party.

I'm in the mood for a huge breakfast cooked by someone else.  Sadly, my favorite diner changed hands and it's AWFUL.  I gave them a good chance to get their feet under them, too, but it's only gone from bad to worse.  So, I tried another spot...failure.  Maybe today I'll get out there and try, again.  Coffee first.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a few minutes and am hopping in re the lasagna -  I never put meat in it.  When the boys were young, used to slice cooked Italian sausage and put them in the layers, but now just make it with Hunt's tomato sauce (to me there is a big taste difference in different brands of tom sauce), parmesan and mozzarella, and since none of us like ricotta, whip a container of large curd cottage cheese with an egg and put dollops of that here and there on the layers.  They call it my Irish Lasagna, and always ask for it, even those married to Italian girls who make the original thing.  Just a little different taste.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That sounds good, tt.  I agree about the tom sauce being very different brand to brand - Hunts is good, and I think they use liners in the cans, too.

I've had so many cravings one wonders if I could be pg, lol, I'm probably not.  Anyway, I found 2 breakfast places I want to try, but they are in Worcester, too far for how famished I was.  So, I wimped out and made toasted mozzerlla wraps with sricha (the hot sauce I can't spell).  But, back to the cravings - I think I'll get fried clams for lunch.  AND, I'm making "safe" noodles for DH so I can make, you guessed it, lasagna tonight.  I wish I could use the no-cook ones I like, but, alas, we can't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I use the Hunts tomato sauce too. it's the best. Your Lasagna sounds good too, tt. Somehow most people make their tomato sauce with a lot of meat. If you dare, try to add the mushrooms. It gives an earthy/meaty flavor.  I think you will like it. We don't care for cottage cheese, so I use the ricotta, but no eggs.
    Toasted mozzarella wraps sounds good. We use a lot of Sriracha sauce in the Pingo household. If you like hot sauces, Kar, get TJ's Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce. It is hot, but have a wonderful flavor. It is a small bottle with red peppers on the label. Start slowly - just a bit.
    Just started the last load of wash. Now off to a pedicure. Yeah!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, this is our third 4th of July here. We moved in February 2011. :) Now I want a lasagna, but no time in the next few days, I'd have to make the sauce, etc. 

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

We are going up to the lake for the long weekend, too already.  See you there!!

Kar - too bad about Gracie.  Good thing she has such great parents who will do anything for her!  Lucky girl.

Pingo - have fun in TX.

Where the heck is Amber?  Was hoping for an update on Joey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Back in the 70s when I lived in the South, you could not get ricotta so we had to make lasagne with cottage cheese.  I found the secret was adding parmesan to it....haven't had it that way since I came back north so I don't know if I would like it now.  OTOH I don't think I have made lasagne in some years anyway!  Usually I am in a hurry so I just throw everything in together with some shaped pasta like gemelli, penne, shells and bake it up.

Your 4th plans sound wonderful Winter!  We do not usually do anything other than our town's fireworks display - DH prefers a quiet day at home but we may try to go somewhere...will let you know. 

Pingo, I haven't been to a pig roast in years, I envy you!  I will look forward to hearing about your trip when you return.

Kar, sorry about the breakfast thing!  I had a fun dish at a diner a couple of weeks ago; french toast stuffed with a peach/cream cheese filling.  YUM!  May try something like that soon.  Wonder how a peach/greek yogurt filling would work.  Maybe I will Google!

I too am disappointed that we have not heard from Amber.  Allready, a lake house would be a dream - for years I lulled myself to sleep planning what I would build some day.  At least I have enjoyed the dreams!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, thanks for the jalapeno recommendation - we love that sauce, too!  

My plans have really fizzled today.  I got to shopping for a new dog bed for Gracie and that's about all I've done.  The good news is I found one for a reasonalbe price on Amazon.

Too late to go get clams, now.  Got to throw something together here.  It's kind of far to the place we get them.

hats, stuffed French toast is exactly what I was dreaming of this morning.  Peach yogurt filling sounds elegant.

Nov and allready - DH will be up there, too. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Crackers, peanut butter and beer is not quite fried clams.  Maybe I'll see if DH wants to go out to eat tonight.  I'm dying for something special that I don't have to cook.  As you can see, my homemade noodle and lasagna plan is falling quickly by the wayside of laziness, LOL.

Good news - I get to go to an overnight family event that I thought I'd have to stay home for due to Gracie's kennel usually being closed in July.  She booked her!!  YAY!!!  It's 3 days before the surgery.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

One of my son's makes a lasagna substituting ziti.  He just throws everything together - it is delicious.  We had it at the graduation party.  Another has told me of a similar recipe using frozen ravioli as the pasta element.  Haven't had that myself, but he said it is quick and good.

I, on the other hand, am sitting here dying for chocolate - brownies would be nice.  Out of squares, but have the baking cocoa.  May just throw a dart to choose which recipe, and get one in the oven before Dr. Phil comes on.  Today's episode looks good - "my ex wife hired a hit man to kill me".

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back running all my errands. It started to rain, after I got in the car. I feel like a million with pampered feet. The girl couldn't understand, I didn't want them colored. She tried hard. Sitting in the chair, I got a back massage. It did a great job on a couple of "knots" I get all the time.
    Went to Costco to finally pick up my meds. Tasting all their samples, I finished lunch - LOL. One of them was chicken salad made w/ canned chicken. It was really good. Another sample was pulled pork w/ coleslaw. Then I went to get gas. Never seen such long lines up there. Must be due to the holiday weekend. Lots of people take Friday off. So I left, and went to my Irving station instead. Costco was 4 cents cheaper, but I would use that up waiting in line.
    I love zitis too. Isn't that what is called American Chop Suey? But now with the no bake noodles and ready made sauces, one can throw a lasagna together faster, than one can boil the zitis.
    Now back to packing.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Running in during commercials to wish you a good trip, Pingo.  When do you come back, Sunday?  Hope the weather is comfortable, we know the food will be excellent.  We'll miss you on the boards.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, does anything taste better than a hot rich dark chocolate brownie?  Not to me.  I have a new favorite brownie recipe.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt