July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: July 2013

TT, glad the baby is here and all is well.  Kar, congrats on the new stove.  Night all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yes, tt - congrats on the healthy, happy, arrival of a second pumpkin!!!  Looking forward to hearing more today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Good morning!

Congratulations TT on the newest pumpkin! And Kar on the new stove!

I would love a new stove, but I would need a new kitchen, too. Maybe someday after paying for daycare is done but before we have to pay the insurance so they can drive Smile.

I'm glad the week is over and we don't have to rush out of the house again until Tuesday. I tried to post after our crazy morning of not eating, but it vanished. Later that morning I got a call that DD had explosive diarreaha ruined her clothes and nothing in her diaper bag fit. I felt horrible! Then I spent the day worrying if it was really diarreaha or someone new changing her diaper. Since I am nursing and she hasn't has any solids nothing that come out of that end is remotely solid. Sorry if anyone's eating breakfast. DD now has a cough, which I'm not sure is due to day care or the AC and I think it has gotten worse, so off to the pediatrician we will go today.

So this morning, I am working in the kitchen, dishwasher running in the background, DD eating in my lap, DS is asleep on my side of the bed, and I just heard our rooster crow good morning! We have a busy weekend planned. DH's mom is coming for dinner and we will smoke chicken thighs if the rain holds off. I'll make potatoes and corn on the cob on the grill to go with it. Tomorrow, I am super excited, the sisters I have known for as long as I can remember are coming to meet DD! They lived across the hall from my grandmother until she retired and are just wonderful. I'll do burgers on the grill for them and their girls.

Then laundry, laundry, laundry! I've been holding off for clothesline weather, because I don't want to use the electricity to run the dryer. Okay enough I must get back to work.

Happy Friday - SAW

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, congratulations on your newest pumpkin. Kar, congratulations on the stove, maybe you can relocate the microwave to another location. Saw you have a rooster? Man that would drive me nuts!

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Winter, he is actually quite funny. He really doesn't crow very loud and we are quite far from our neighbors. In fact the only time one neighbor hears him is the wind is blowing in the right direction and he is leaving for work in the morning. The neighbor on the otherside didn't even know we had him.

DS named him Batman and if you go up to the coop and say "Hi Batman" he will crow at you. and if we are in the backyard after dark and the motion lights come on he will also crow. Its quite comical to see him strut around, since he is much smaller then the hens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, everyone!!  I'm not popping the champagne yet, though, since it's not actually even ordered yet, but DH said next week.  It is kind of a logistical thing to replace gas stoves due to the need for a certified tech to do it, and DH wants to be here, too.  But, I'm hoping to have it in the next 3 weeks...trying to be patient after all this time, but I'm so beyond frustrated with this one it's hard to wait another day (I know, I'm being a baby!).  I can put a microwave on the counter, but I'd rather have the prep space.

Nice and cool this morning, maybe I'll take Gracie out somewhere today...  DH got called in to work. :(

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yeah I'd love a gad stove, but we have no gas line to our house and with numerous calls to inquire about gas heat with no call back that seems to be something that won't happen.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can get a propane tank if you want, that's what we have.  Most gas stoves have a Natural Gas  (NG) or liquid propane (LP) choice. I'll post a photo...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Never mind - it keeps posting the painting, not the big propane tank in the corner of the house by the kitchen.  Oh, well. :(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Congratulations and welcome to the Chat family to Pumpkin number 2. You must be relieved it is over, tt. Hope mom and baby are doing well.
    Finally a new stove, Kar? You must be so excited. You may want to reconsider not having the microwave. You may not use it much, but you WILL miss it. I know, you pick up Brown Rice at TJ's f.ex., and I also remember you using it for defrosting. Naturally, you can live w/o it. Many people do. But when you are used to have one, it will not be easy to get used to not have one.
    SAW I enjoy reading your posts, but they make me exhausted. Lots going on in your family. Do you work a full week or just a few days a week?
    Looks like it has cooled down a lot. I will take the rain instead of that humidity. Finished all the laundry and it is back on it's hangers, shelves and drawers. Now getting ready for UKS coming next Wednesday. I always overhaul their rooms, when they are expected back. Have the weekend to do so. Nothing else is happening this weekend. But that is good. Will most likely spend some time at the office. I need to catch up.
    Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good thoughts about the microwave, but I really do just use it because it's here.  I didn't have one in my apartment and probably never would have.  I'll be glad to get rid of it, actually...I know, I'm weird, lol.

yes, we are so enjoying the cool, dry breeze.  The back door is open and Gracie is soaking up the fresh air and scents from the backyard.  AC is a beautiful thing, but it's nice to not need it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, we are looking for gas to provide heat as well, so that's why we are looking for a gas line installed.

- Darth Vadar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, I see.  We heat with gas (auxillary to the wood stove), though, and still have a propane tank for the stove.

I'm very aggrevated.  This stove is NOT cheap, in fact, I actually burst into tears in the showroom over the price tag when he made the matter of fact announcement that we'd need a $1000+ hood to go with.  Anyway, the "low end" Capital Culinarian I decided on only comes fitted for Natural Gas in the 30" width UNLESS you move up to the self-clean, duel fuel version which is $2000 MORE than the NG bare bones model.  I was willing to clean the oven manually, but we can't have a NG fitting.  So, back to the brand drawing board.  I need to go back to the showroom.  It's an hour away, and I'm so peeved he didn't ask us about the type of gas we have.  Not to mention stressed out over the whole thing, anyway.  Yes, I cook and I cook a LOT, and I'd use it to its fullest potential, but omg, the price.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I have never heard of that brand, so I googled it. I almost fell over seeing the price. It must be some stove. I know you will use it to it's fullest potential. But it is indeed a lot of money for a stove. For that price it should come w/ a chef - LOL .  I  wonder if you read the reviews.
    Sorry, you have to go back to the drawing board. But a stove is something, and especially for you who uses it every day, one should be happy with. However, there are several other great brands for less than half that price.
    I have KitchenAid, and they have served me well. They are 20 years old. I am sure, new and better brands have come on the market, since we purchased ours. Keep looking and good luck!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's the huge range of BTUs on each burner that I'm interested in.  The Capital has 3 burners that go from simmer to 23,000 BTUs and a 4th that goes up to 7000.  We have a Fridgidaire, and its high speed burner doesn't have simmer.  So, after my 35 lb full, hot pressure canner gets to the right poundage I have to move it to the back of the range to the simmer burner.  Very difficult maneuver and potentially hazardous.  And, my burners are only 9" square so I can't use two on the same side at the same time; 18" just plain isn't enough because most pans are 10" wide.  The Capital (and other high end) burners are 11" square, and my pots and pans will share that 22" depth of cooking dapce quite nicely.  I'm drooling over having 4 things on at the same time and not having to shuffle them according to heat needs and burner capability.  But, yeah, it's expensive.  There were others there that seemed comparable for features I am looking for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Why can't you have natural gas? For us they would need to dig up our driveway we think, so that's a no.

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not sure, all I know is that DH had it all set to go before I got here, NG for heat from the tank in the basement, propane for the stove in the yard tank.  I'll ask him when I deliver the insane news.  This is definitely not my area of expertise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you decide heating with ng is a no-go you could at least have a gas stove if you really wanted it by putting a propane tank outside.  We only get it filled once a year; I think it was about $100 last time.  Not sure how much it is to set up initially, though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

kar, with the pool back there we don't have a lot of room for anything else.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, you are lucky if you have gas running in your street. Then you only have to dig up your own driveway.
    We had gas in our old home and were looking into getting gas in this house as well.  The street we lived on runs parallel to where we are now. I can see my old home from the top of my roof. But the new street, we live on does not have gas. So we would have to tap into a line from one of the side streets. We would have to pay for all the expenses digging up the streets etc. 20 years ago it was in excess of $50,000 - must be at least the double now. We did send a letter to all the other neighbors to see if anyone else were interested. They all loved to have gas, but no one were interested in sharing the expenses bringing up a main line everyone could tap into. It would have been about $3000 per home.

ETA: We heat our pool with Propane.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Pingo, it's funny that my posts make you exhausted. I don't know how you do all the entertaining that you do it makes my head swim! I don't post on nights when the most excitement is whether it will be me or DH who falls asleep with the kids at 7:30pm. Only when something is exciting! 

Today I ended up taking a 1/2 a vacation day so that I could go grocery shopping before taking DD to the pediatrician.  Luckily her cough is only post nasal drip and her lungs are clear. I rather pay for an office visit today then the ER tonight. I got lots of fruit and vegetables at the store luckily everything DS wanted for lunch next week was on sale.  I forgot how much I hate shopping on a Friday in the summer,  so many tourists!  After the week DS and I had getting out of the house in the mornings,  I am THRILLED to tell you he was MARVELOUS at the store! 

We decided to chance the weather and DH has started the smoker for chicken thighs and we had 2 zucchinis in the garden last night which I'll grill.

Have a great night! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

oh, yeah, the pool and stuff.  We don't have anything in the foreground of the backyard, and the tank fits right up against (almost) the house in a corner.  I wish I could post a photo that doesn't get changed by bdc to an earlier one.

pingo, at least you tried - $3k was a lot of money 20 years ago, though, so I can see why people balked at that.  'Course, everything is relative - it sure was better than 50 grand!

SAW, glad to find it's just pnd.  Allergies?  Mine have passed for the year; it's the lilacs that get me, and they are gone by.  I hope the weather holds for your delicious outside meal!

I'm dreading telling DH about the stove issue, and I'll be relieved when it's all behind us.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Capital is out, Wolf is in.  DH was aggregated, too, having psyched himself up about our first choice.  But, what can ya do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice choice. A friend of mine has one. She loves it. Just too bad your DH is aggregated - LOL. Don't you just hate that automatic spell check.

In response to kargiver's comment:

The Capital is out, Wolf is in.  DH was aggregated, too, having psyched himself up about our first choice.  But, what can ya do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Aggregated, that's hilarious!

Pingo, would you please, if you don't mind, ask your friend with the Wolf about the simmer capability on the burners with the 18,000 BTUs?  The specs say they go down to 850, but I can't translate that to functionality.  And, it's worrisome because the burner that only goes up to 9200 goes all the way down to 325 BTUs.  Big difference between an 850 and 325 BTU "simmer" it seems.  And, if I STILL have to move the canner from the high to the lowest one I'll be pretty unhappy unless 9200 is high enough to start it there.  Oh, that's another thing - would you ask her to translate "9200 BTUs" to a standard idea of High, Medium, or Low, please?  Thanks so much!  If you don't feel comfortable that's ok, but I don't know anyone with one, and they don't have the gas hooked up in the store so you can see the flame...kind of important, imo.

I'm checking it out in person today; DH has had enough of seeing them, lol.

Clearly, I'm obsessed right now, sorry for all the boring range talk - it's my whole life at the moment!

Have a great day, everyone!