July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: July 2013

TT...oh you had to have a field vision test..? I hate those! My eyes are so tired after that test. I have it twice a year because of a medication I take. The only time it ever came out abnormal was right after the first time I was diagnosed with "migraine with aura". Thankfully it was normal a few weeks later.

The Loft is probably about 15 minutes from Angelica's. You would take 114 west to 125 north. I've been to Angelica's a few time and enjoyed it. It feels like a bit of a throwback restaurant..lol. If you like seafood, Joe Fish is located right next door to The Loft and they have amazing seafood. ( great lobster bisque and lobster rolls). Sometimes the service isn't that great but on off peak times it's never an issue.

I am not sure about getting the passport quickly but I will be on it first thing Monday morning. I think you can pay extra for a rush..and I also think the conference organizers will help try to speed things up since they are eager for me to attend.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Never had a lasagna "pan".  I have 3 different size lasagna pyrex dishes.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I'm sure she'll love the card at least because it is from you and lovingly embellished and I'm sure it looks great, anyway!  Can we read the poem?  Have a great time.

I got a passport 5 years ago for our honeymoon; it took about 2 weeks, I think.

sorry, Pingo, I don't have any ceramic bakers so I can't say for sure, but I still think it would be akin to oiling them with coconut oil...which is a liquid right now at "room temperature," lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have the test once a year.  My friend and I joke about it - "Oh oh, haven't seen any blinks of light for a few minutes, better throw in a "click" for good measure" !  So far we've both dodged the bullet as far as drops go.

So if you're coming up on Angelica's on the left (coming up from M.B.) you go through those lights and then up by a fire station?  Haven't been further up that way past Angelica's in years.  We meet for lunch, so I'm assuming both places you mention are open for lunch?  The girls might feel it is too far, especially our Burlington friend, not sure how she would go to get there.  I can google mapquest and see what directions they give.

Purposely didn't buy any ice cream today because cholesterol was only thing a little higher than he wanted, and now that's all I can think of - didn't help that Chronicle was showing ice cream place in Amesbury with triple scoop cones!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Never had a lasagna "pan".  I have 3 different size lasagna pyrex dishes.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

TT..it was my grandmother's..and it's really just an old metal baking pan...but she always called it the lasagna pan..and the the name stuck. Funny thing is that I only use it for lasagna...lol. BTW..I also have her old "brownie pan".

Kar..that's good to know that it only took a couple of weeks!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I have the test once a year.  My friend and I joke about it - "Oh oh, haven't seen any blinks of light for a few minutes, better throw in a "click" for good measure" !  So far we've both dodged the bullet as far as drops go.

So if you're coming up on Angelica's on the left (coming up from M.B.) you go through those lights and then up by a fire station?  Haven't been further up that way past Angelica's in years.  We meet for lunch, so I'm assuming both places you mention are open for lunch?  The girls might feel it is too far, especially our Burlington friend, not sure how she would go to get there.  I can google mapquest and see what directions they give.

Purpsoely didn't buy any ice cream today because cholesterol was only thing a little higher than he wanted, and now that's all I can think of - didn't help that Chronicle was showing ice cream place in Amesbury with triple scoop cones!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Hi TT..yes. If Angelica's is on your left you would keep going through the lights on 114 past the fire station and continue until you see Merrimack College on your left. At the next set of lights you would turn right and follow that road.

It might be a little far from Burlington. She could go 93-495 but it still may be further than she wants to go.

I know that they opened another Joe Fish location on Rte. 28 in North Reading. That might be closer.

Both places are open for lunch and that would be a good time to go.

FYI..Richardson's sells low fat yogurt. The Mint Chocolate Chip is difficult to distinguish from the MCC ice cream..it's very refreshing :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have my mother's hole in the middle cake pan, for lack of a better name.  Use it all the  time and have tried many times and many places to replace it, but all they come up with is an angel food pan or a bundt pan - not the same.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

tt, I'm sure she'll love the card at least because it is from you and lovingly embellished and I'm sure it looks great, anyway!  Can we read the poem?  Have a great time.

Sorry, I learned my lesson as far as posting my rhymes on here.  Once in a while I'll do one for you guys, but never again any personal ones.  I never claimed to be a great poet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Hi TT..yes. If Angelica's is on your left you would keep going through the lights on 114 past the fire station and continue until you see Merrimack College on your left. At the next set of lights you would turn right and follow that road."

Yeah, that is too far for one of our lunches.  You're almost in Plaistow by the sounds of it, up by that Pond place.  Is that still there?  Went a couple of times and was disappointed, maybe because of all the hype.

I used to spend a week or two summers in Plaistow/kingston with a girlfriend whose parents had cows.  She's the one we used to go to her summer job at another farm early mornings and clean and sort eggs.  I thought that was a blast.  I'm sure she didn't  because her mother made  her split her earnings with me.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

"Hi TT..yes. If Angelica's is on your left you would keep going through the lights on 114 past the fire station and continue until you see Merrimack College on your left. At the next set of lights you would turn right and follow that road."

Yeah, that is too far for one of our lunches.  You're almost in Plaistow by the sounds of it, up by that Pond place.  Is that still there?  Went a couple of times and was disappointed, maybe because of all the hype.

I used to spend a week or two summers in Plaistow/kingston with a girlfriend whose parents had cows.  She's the one we used to go to her summer job at another farm early mornings and clean and sort eggs.  I thought that was a blast.  I'm sure she didn't  because her mother made  her split her earnings with me.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Are you referring to the Pondview? If yes..I agree. Perfectly awful. I think they closed down a few years ago but there may be something different in its place now.

125 does lead to Plaistow but The Loft is in North Andover. You'd have to travel from there through Bradford and Haverhill before you got to Plaistow..but I agree. It sounds like a little far to drive.

Have you ever tried Teresa's on 114. I am not sure they are open for lunch..but I used to go there frequently with friends for dinner before they started advertising on the Phantom Gourmet. After that..they got too busy always and less enjoyable. All the same..the food was very good and they have a baked fish that was excellent.

That's a cute story about the eggs :-) I actually go to Plaistow a lot. I prefer it over Salem NH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

All poetry that comes from the heart is beautiful...and if anyone told you something different..than pooh on them!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"That's a cute story about the eggs :-) I actually go to Plaistow a lot. I prefer it over Salem NH."

You speak as tho Plaistow is a shopping mecca??  When I used to visit, a treat would be either to go into Haverhill, or to Exeter (to the 5&10).  Don't remember there being anything in Plaistow except a pond where we used to go swimming and a little take out place across the street.  I think further up that road from where we went in, it was Kingston state park on the left.  I'm sure things have all built up now.  Would be fun (for me) to take a ride up there sometime, altho now it's probably a super highway, not the old country road meandering through pines.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

It's party weekend!  Gracie got me up at 5:30, and I started in on my pedi.  Smeared it putting on flip flops and had to do a big toe over.  Grr.  Got breakfast, need coffee, and to get Gracie to the kennel.

thanks for the update on SS, tt - let her know we miss her.  And, yes, where are icer, tulips, ambergirl, bg, jc, mm?  Miss them!

can't wait for some rain and for the heat to break!  The garden is wilting...and so are we.

have a great weekend, everyone - I probably won't be online much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a good time at the party, Kargiver.  Is it tonight?  A stay over?

Glad I made the scones yesterday, even in yesterday's heat.  No ambition today so glad all I have left to do is get something ready for me to wear, and make the lasagna.

Have spent the earlier part of the morning googling records of the fam of the girl I used to visit in Plaistow.  She herself, I knew was killed in a car crash when she was in her 30's, had gone up to her funeral.  Found her husband had remarried, had several more children and died last year.  Her mother and father are of course, both deceased too, altho her mother just passed a couple of years ago.  -  Memory lane, all brought on by miscricket's mention of a restaurant almost in Plaistow!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Have a great time at your fancy party, Kar. It sounds like you are staying overnight. Nice with a few days away. We are supposed to get some rain later today. Hope your back yead "market" gets a good drink. Our sprinklers have done a decent job, but we really need a soak now. The flowering scrubs, we had to hand water twice a day in this heat.
    tt, a lasagna pan is deeper than the Pyrex dishes. Mine is at least 3 inches deep. It is a beautiful pan but so heavy when filled, so I don't use it much. Will on Monday though. Will have DS help me manage it.
    Thanks for mentioning the restaurants in Andover, miscricket. We have very good friends living in the assisted living facility on Osgood Street. He has Alzheimer's and cannot join us any longer, but we take his wife out for lunch and dinner every so often. These places will be new to us and close by.
    We had breakfast outside this morning. It was hot, but the humidity was not too bad yet.  Last night was terrible. Had a hard time falling asleep. The central A/C can only do so much.
    Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

ps. tt, which web site do you use to find info about your friends? The ones I have accessed are not free.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I simply googled their names and where they lived on the google bar.  Brought up all kinds of sites, some with obits.  If not, then I googled again with obits at the end.  Was surprised to get so much free info from NH. 

All I've ever used are the pyrex lasagna dishes, when a crowd (20) is coming, I simply make two.  My biggest dish takes 1 1/2 pkgs of noodles to fill.  Think this tray I bought yesterday may too, it's an extra deep one.

Time to get moving.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

You speak as tho Plaistow is a shopping mecca??  When I used to visit, a treat would be either to go into Haverhill, or to Exeter (to the 5&10).  Don't remember there being anything in Plaistow except a pond where we used to go swimming and a little take out place across the street.  I think further up that road from where we went in, it was Kingston state park on the left.  I'm sure things have all built up now.  Would be fun (for me) to take a ride up there sometime, altho now it's probably a super highway, not the old country road meandering through pines.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Oh..TT..Plaistow's really been built up over the past few years. There's Kohl's, Walmart, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond and many other smaller stores including a few dollar stores and party stores. I mostly go up there for the Kohl's and Bed Bath and Beyond, and Red's Shoe Barn...but there are a lot  of very fun smaller shops as well. There are also a bunch of restaurants but mostly chains..although there is a little chicken place I really like..Chicken Connection which has really good friend chicken.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Good morning,
    Have a great time at your fancy party, Kar. It sounds like you are staying overnight. Nice with a few days away. We are supposed to get some rain later today. Hope your back yead "market" gets a good drink. Our sprinklers have done a decent job, but we really need a soak now. The flowering scrubs, we had to hand water twice a day in this heat.
    tt, a lasagna pan is deeper than the Pyrex dishes. Mine is at least 3 inches deep. It is a beautiful pan but so heavy when filled, so I don't use it much. Will on Monday though. Will have DS help me manage it.
    Thanks for mentioning the restaurants in Andover, miscricket. We have very good friends living in the assisted living facility on Osgood Street. He has Alzheimer's and cannot join us any longer, but we take his wife out for lunch and dinner every so often. These places will be new to us and close by.
    We had breakfast outside this morning. It was hot, but the humidity was not too bad yet.  Last night was terrible. Had a hard time falling asleep. The central A/C can only do so much.
    Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

ps. tt, which web site do you use to find info about your friends? The ones I have accessed are not free.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi Pingo..another place you might like to try which is on Osgood St. as well is Shadi's. They have a nice lunch.

I haven't stepped foot outside yet, but will be getting going shortly. I'm glad to hear it's not as hot as it was yesterday. Going to a big cookout this afternoon in western MA and feel like splurging on a new outfit to wear so  shopping I will go.

Cooked a nice big breakfast this morning - turkey sausage patties, eggs, potatoes and fresh peaches so won't be hungry til cookout time..lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  Yes, the party is at a restaurant for dinner and dancing, and we're staying overnight in NH...praying post-party family time goes well.  SIL and I will stick together. Focusing on the dress instead so I don't get a tension headache.

tt, too bad about posting poems, we enjoy them so much, but I understand.

back to getting ready.  Gracie is at the kennel earlier than necessary so we don't have to worry about her, we can just leave whenever.  She loves it there so no matter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

and a less muggy one, it is.  Kept opening the bedroom window last night, waiting for the cooler air to arrive.  Wasn't til early this morning that I was able to shut the  A/C off and just enjoy the window air.  Disappointed we got no rain, my front lawn is burnt, everything is so dry.  My hose doesn't reach out there, and the wrong one got saved to boot, this one kinks every time you tug on it.

Met the new baby yesterday, and he's a cutie.  Doesn't look at all like his older brother, but he's still so young, that may change.  Brought my lasagna and left it there with the foil on, still boiling hot, so am hoping it didn't cook more.  Hate soggy lasagna noodles.

My GD showed us an oil painting my cookie-baking (9) GD did for the baby's room, with his name, and also a book she had made with illustrations, telling about her and her bro, what they were doing, and that they were all cousins.  So cute.  She said she had to put her father's name on it too, because he had printed one of the pages.

Did go out to my car to find a passing car had thrown a cup of coffee all over the driver's side of the outside of the car.  Said to my son, "That wouldn't happen on xxxxxxx St."  He said, "No, they just steal your hubcaps!"  Which they had done a few years ago, right out of my driveway.

Of course since making the lasagna yesterday that's all I can think of, so if I could stand the oven on yesterday, guess I will make up a small tray for myself today. 

Hope you are all waking up to more comfortable temps this morning.  In my mind, I have a lot I'm going to get done - but we'll see.  Happy Sunday morning.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Finally a break in the weather. Pleasant night, even though the A/C had to stay on. We did get rain yesterday, tt. A short heavy downpour. But of course it didn't matter much, as everything is so dry. 

So, you got to meet the new little bundle, tt. Is he a good baby sleeping nights? They are so precious. Lovely store about your cookie making GD. So much love.

Sitting outside typing. It is so pleasant. Don't know yet, what the plans are for today. DS took off running around the lake. Will have breakfast ready, when he gets back.

Anxious to hear about Kargiver's fancy party. Hope her BIL behaved.

Have a good Sunday everyone. Chat later.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All set to make the lasagna for lunch today - only 1 small can of tomato sauce on the shelf.  So, I improvised - cooked the half pkg of campanelle I had, and layered that, tomato sauce, cottage cheese, parmesan, and mozzarella in 2 layers in an oiled 9" square dish.  Put it in a 350 oven for 10-15 minutes and it was delicious.  Keeping it in mind for when I have a lasagna quick fix craving again.

Glad you're enjoying the visit, Pingo.  So much more comfortable today for the joggers.  Baby is on an every 2 hr. feeding schedule, so don't know how much sleep GD is getting through the nights yet - he is only a week and a half old.  She looks great tho, and says she is feeling good, that it's much easier to fall into a routine the second time around. 

Watching Jeff Lewis reruns - none of the many things done that I had in my mind!  What else is new?  lol

ETA:  Just got a couple of cute pics of pumpkin with sauce all over his face in one, and in the other he's shoving a forkful of lasagna into his mouth!  Caption says, "We're all enjoying the lasagna.  But his Dad and I don't look as cute eating it" !!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Such a cute caption, tt. Sweet of your GD sending pix of them eating your lasagna. Your quick-fix version, sounds great too. We love those Campanella tomatoes. Eating them as if they were fruit (which they actually are). A bit too expensive for sauce though. I have dried the seeds from one and will try to grow them on my deck next year. A bit too late to start them now.

I know the little one is too young to sleep through the night, b/c of feedings. But if he sleeps in between and go right back to sleep, it is a good sign.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"So, I improvised - cooked the half pkg of campanelle I had, and layered that, tomato sauce, cottage cheese, parmesan, and mozzarella in 2 layers in an oiled 9" square dish.  Put it in a 350 oven for 10-15 minutes and it was delicious.  Keeping it in mind for when I have a lasagna quick fix craving again."

Campanelle is a shape of pasta made by Barilla, Pingo.  It's an odd shape, reminds me of a calla lily.  I had bought a pkg, cooked a few and did not care for them, they were too meaty, if you know what I mean.  They were sitting there on the shelf, and I thought they might just fill the bill for what I was looking for today, seeing as I was making a dish with only two layers, wanted something filling when you bit into it.  They were perfect for this, and I'll keep a pkg together with a small tomato sauce, together on the shelves for that day when I just don't know what to fix.  I always have mozzarella, parmesan and cottage cheese in the fridge, so it's a new "found" recipe for me.  Good for those days when I get a real short notice that G.T. is coming down too.

The tomatoes I think you're thinking of are the campari.  I love those, tho noticed this week S&S had them priced at $4.99, so picked up some vine tomatoes to slice instead.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, thanks for filling me in on the pasta shapes. I know, the Campari tomatoes were expensive last week. I also made do with the tomatoes on the vine.
    I did something tonight, I usually never do on a Sunday. I went to MB around 5:30pm. I wanted to get my shopping for tmw. out of the way. Just the right time to shop. Plenty of parking and very few shoppers. One could actually see the counters and take the time to pick, what one wanted. No wait at the registers. I was in and out before I knew. Except for Mint, I got everything I needed there. Stopped at S&S and got the Mint there. Now I am ready to cook tmw. morning, before the day heats up.
    DS and DH went to the office. Waiting for them to get back. Then it is pizza time. Havea good evening.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sections
Shortcuts