July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: July 2013

tt, what a nice story about the check in girl. My mom buys my DS is uniform pants at the start of school, so it will be a nice memory for him when he's older. His other set of grandparents live in upstate NY, so he doesn't see them very often. I never knew my dad's dad and my dad's mom passed away when I was in third grade.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

There's nothing so good for children as a nice grandparent!  And to have a GGM who is still active and involved is really special.

TT, hope the aching goes away.

Pingo, hope your party went well.

Winter, hope the migraine passes into total recovery quickly.

Kar, hope the visit is fun.

I had beach plans today :-(  And the rain is too late to save my hydrangeas; we had had no rain at all in the last few weeks so they got rusty and droopy even though I carried water to the smaller one, which is out of reach of my hose.  Oh well.  It will be good for my newer perennials. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

She must have been thrilled, Kar to have such a fancy "to do" done for her!

Hope you are feeling better today Winter.

Its so refreshing to have pleasant exchanges like that isn't it TT?  I just hate standing at a register face to face and noone says a word.  It doesnt; take much effort to make small talk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Even worse, Novem, is to start up a conversation with just a little nicety and have the someone just look at you and grunt, "yeah", or sort of a half chuckle.  The older I get, I find some people don't like to look old people in the eye.  I suppose they see their mortality.

Winter, I'm sure your son will remember.  My boys still remember my mother buying them each a new outfit for the start of school each year.

Chocolate chip pancakes it was for me - and one for the birds, that landed on the floor when I flipped it!

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hats..you are so right about there being nothing so good for children as having a wonderful grandparent. This was certainly true for me and not a day goes by that I don't feel blessed to have had such wonderful grandparents in my life. Not a day goes by where I don't miss them either.

TT..I will go out of my way at a register to engage a young person in conversation. I think it's a skill they need to develop and become comfortable with.

Had some much needed rain here. I am enjoying a rare day off. Have a couple of appointments scheduled..but right now I am just playing online and sipping a Milky Way iced coffe while I wait for the laundry to finish.

Kar...you look AMAZING in that dress!! Glad you had a good time.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Like your cashier story, tt. In my S&S there is a couple of friendly mature tellers, and there are several gum chewing, chatting w/ next register tellers. I always seek out the friendly ones, even though the line is longer. They also bag the groceries better. Seperating frozen items from fruit f.ex. Some tellers just dump everything in the bags w/o paying attention.

Cook out went well last night. We sat outside until it was time for them to go home. My lasagna got plenty of compliments again. And the Rhubarb/Strawberry upside down cake was delicious. I will post the recipe later. The young boys were very happy that DS was at home. They had Someone nearer their age to chat with. They played table tennis and chess.

I am very tired today. My back is hurting from standing up so much, and I didn't sleep well last night. I never do, when I am overtired. I wish I could stay at home today, but I need to go to the office. I wasn't there yesterday and I have payroll to do this week.

Finally some rain. The yard is enjoying it. Hope you will too. Have a good one!
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, ladies!

Gosh, my grandmother and I were so close it was almost like a telepathic relationship from the time I was born.  She passed on to Glory in 2008, but I miss her every day, too.  My voice sounds like hers did, exactly, when she was younger, and it was a solid year before I could sing, again, because I heard her in my own voice and burst into tears.

I'm not sure it's just "old" people unless I'm in that category, too, which is possible.

Thanks, mc!  I felt good. :)

Nov, yes, she was floored, and she had a wonderful time.  She deserved it - she's a lovely person.

Just got back from dropping Gracie off for her surgery, a leisurely breakfast out, and a stop at the grocery store to prepare for the visit.  Now, a run to the dump so I can get back and do the floors before 4 LOs are crawling around on it.  Too bad Gracie isn't here; Mom wanted the kids to have an opportunity to interact with a dog she knows and trusts.  And, too bad it's pouring (on one hand) because I was going to let the 3 yo pick berries.  Oh, well, we need rain and beggers can't be choosers!

ETA:  Pingo, glad you had a wonderful dinner as planned.  Rest up today if you can - put your feet up tonight. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Best wishes for a successful surgery for Gracie.

Good idea to have company coming to divert your thoughts, Kar. Maybe it is better not have Gracie around, when the babies arrive. As wonderful as she is w/ children, but 4 at one time, wouldn't that be a bit too much for her? Especially so young, that they don't know not to poke her eyes or pull her tail.
    Hope your visit goes well. What are you serving for lunch?
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Poor little Gracie.  Have you heard how everything went and how extensive the surgery was?  When will you get her back home?

Hope you are enjoying your little visitors.  The sun has come out here, so maybe it's dried off enough where you live for the 3 yr. old to get out to those berries.  Enjoy your day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, we're getting showers - just showers, stop and start.  Wish we'd get a good solid few hours of heavy rain.  Everything is so dry.

Cleaning and sprucing up the toyroom.  Neighbor down the street is taking care of her 2 NH nieces for a week while their father is hospitalized for serious surgery.  Just in the possibility that DIL may come down with Lilly one of the days they're here and they might be able to come up, need to rearrange the toys and wet mop the floor.

What's everyone having for supper tonight.  I'm so out of the habit of fixing a full meal now, can't think of anything to pull out of the freezer in time to thaw.  Don't feel like running out again since I was out all morning.

ETA:  Never mind.  Figured out myself.  Made a potato salad, will cook up some frozen peas, and took out some chicken tenders for a quick thaw and saute.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, was just thinking of what to make for a quick dinner tonight. Yesterday pOOped me out for kitchen duties. You gave me a great idea. Potato salad, chicken tenders and snap peas. Yeah!

Kar, any news about Gracie? And how did the visit go? Did you get to pick berries - or did it rain out. We had a couple of heavy showers around here. Wish we would have a full night of solid rain.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Kar..hoping that Gracie came through her surgery okay!

TT..I made meat sauce today. Started it this morning in my crockpot and it smells delicious. So eventually I will make some pasta to go with it.  I used ground turkey instead of beef and pork. A litte adjustments with the seasonings and it's just as good.

We had some pretty poweful thunderstorms earlier today. I got caught in one when meeting hubbie and a friend for lunch at Panera.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I guess I have to do some grocery shopping - again.  Staples like canned tomatoes, sauce, are gone, and I've small pickings left on the onion I started.  Had to throw out a green pepper that had seen better days.  Just can't think of anything for suppers, that doesn't involve pasta.  There's some hamburg patties in there and large pieces of chicken that I don't want to take out for just me.  Breakfasts are always easy.  Made enough choc chip pancakes this morning that I have some left for tomorrow.  Fruit seems to get pushed to the back too, and I end up chucking half of that.  I think I need a vacation where I go out to eat every night.  I could take a week or two of that!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Quick hello to say Gracie came through great, thanks!  And, we had a lovely visit, but hectic in our non-child-proofed house. ;)  So tired; how does she do it every day??  We got rained out from picking, but had a great time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It poured cats and dogs here; this morning I emptied a couple of inches from my pot plants.  Thunder and lightening, too.  Funny how different the weather is from place to place - on the Cape there was sun and no rain!

Pingo, after UKS leaves, I think you should take two days for yourself.  You have been going going for months now and probably need a rest and some 'unscheduled maintenance.'

Kar, glad the visit went well.  Hope Gracie continues to heal well.

Cricket, you are right about the turkey.  I have to try to remember to sub it in ground beef recipes.  Last week I made Mexican turkey burgers (cumin and peppers in the meat) which I served with salsa and avocado; they were good.

Winter, you were quiet yesterday - headache still bothering you or just playing catch up?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. My supervisor is on vacation, so I was doing some catch up yesterday. Kar, glad your visit was nice and that Gracie is doing well. Do you pick her up today?

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for your well wishes for Gracie, everyone, I'll tell her and give her a collective cc hug. :)  I pick her up tomorrow.  It is so empty and quiet (not that she's loud, per se) without her.

pingo, hats has the right idea - spa day or whatever relaxes you is in order after DS's visit is over - you've been going non-stop!

We love ground turkey or chicken, and seasoned with dark spices in a recipe it would fool even the biggest red meat fan.  Chili powder does a good job as does paprika or smoked paprika.

DH started our annual Standard Process Purification yesterday; it's 3 weeks.  I've been teetering on the edge of starting mine today, not having eaten anything disallowed, but we have food I'd like to not have to throw out.  No dairy, nuts, or carbs not derived from fruit and vegetables.  Hm, I'll have to ask my aunt if sprouted grains are allowed...they are really veggies in disguise so I hope so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Great news about Gracie.  Will you go see her today, or would that just upset her when you left without her?  Gives you today to go off and do whatever without having to think about leaving her alone, where she's in recuperation.

Hate to post what I eat with all the healthy diet posters, but I think I provide a service of sorts to those (there must be) lurking readers who eat as I do - delicious breakfast of cherry poptart (the last of them) and crisp bacon, with hot hot regular coffee.  No decaf for me this morning, a sleepless night after I woke about 2:15 a.m. with cat-a-walling outside my bedroom window.  Well, actually, when I got up to look, it was Harry (see?  We knew his owner wasn't keeping him in nights) and another cat (surprised because I've never seen another one around here).  They weren't actually outside my bedroom window, but were at the foot of the driveway.  I opened and closed the screen door, they turned and looked at me, and then so funny to see - each turned away from each other and very slowly walked away, Harry crossing the street heading towards home, I hope, and the other cat coming up my driveway.  It reminded me of the two husbands on "Real Housewives of NJ", after fighting, not running away, but walking slowly as if to say, I'm not running away from you, I've just had enough of you.  I win" !!

My roofer stopped by yesterday to see if there had been any more leaks, and to set up a date to replaster the upstairs closet and paint the ceiling.  I knew I should have cleaned up that toyroom.  I lose ambition in the afternoon, which tells me I should get at it this morning, but you know in the mornings I love to go poking for treasures.  Wonder which will win out today?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, there is no way I could do something like that for 3 weeks. tt, sorry you were woken up so early. I too was woken up by a meowing cat at 5 I think. I ignored him best I could until it was time for me to get up and feed him before I left.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Such a beautiful day, tt, I vote for poking for treasures. You'll regret it if you don't soak up all these gorgeous days come January!  I hope all is well with the patch and the plaster ends up being the last thing you have to deal with for it.

DH wants me to go visit Gracie, but they advise against it; it gets them too excited and, like you suggested, they get very disappointed and confused when you leave without them.  And, it's an hour and 15 minutes drive, too, so as hard as it is, I'll let her rest.  Indeed, it is kind of nice to have a free day without worrying about her needs.  That tide will change very soon!

ETA: no need to feel self conscious around me - my friend asked me to show her my LoseIt app, and I showed her the top of the My Foods list (built as you enter them), and of course the top includes "B" - as in 4 entries for types of bacon and pages of beer brands and styles, LOL!  We had a great laugh. :D  Life without bacon and beer would be sad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm still sitting here, got a few emails in to answer.  Emailed Cat Lady about the cat-a-walling last night, and she said she wondered if the other cat was "Miss Fluffy short legs".  I haven't seen her for so long, forgot she was a fluffy "striped" cat.  Said Harry howls at her sometimes, but never actually goes after her.  If it was her, I'm sure he was letting her know the yard she was about to enter was HIS !

Well, nearing the time of no return for me if I want to get out, have time to poke, and get back for Y&R.  Muggy and I'm disappointed.  Weather said shower about noon that will bring in the less humid air.  All the more reason for me to get a move on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, missed your post until mine posted.  It's easier than it sounds given all our food comes right from the backyard - it's so convenient not to have to grocery shop for 3 weeks.  When I was single and had to do it by myself and buy everything from Whole Foods it was expensive and not a lot of fun.

Our "alarm clock" wasn't here this morning and we overslept!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Humid after all the rain?!  Ugh, I assumed it was a perfect day from the looks of it.  Oh, well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Got a late start. Sat chatting w/ DS all morning.

Kar, so glad to learn, that Gracie is doing well. You must be missing her, but enjoy your "day off". There will be enough to take care of the next few weeks. Good luck with your cleansing. I am doing it partially with my green juice every morning. When DS leaves for Pittsburgh next week, I will add another juice meal. It is too difficult w/ him at home. You are so lucky, you have all the supply in your back yard. For me it is an expensive deal, but if it gives you better health, one should not look at the cost.

tt, fighting cats doing the night? Wouldn't make me happy. Can't stand it. It was full moon yesterday, so that is probably why. Happy poking this morning. Still clothes for Lily?

Winter, doing a cleansing fast it not as difficult as it sounds. First few days, yes. Your body needs to get used to survive w/o sugar and caffeine and other "junk", we serve it. But after a couple of days, it forgets about it, and the rewards you get will make you forget the first few miserable days.

Have a few errands to do. DS wants to go to Target to get new shorts. Also have to go to TJ's. I am almost out of olive oil. Maybe BB&B too to use my coupon. Could be,  I will run into tt w/o knowing it.

Have a good day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good afternoon all....finally I'm here again....went to the Dr. yesterday and he said I was doing well, my BP was real good, lost 5 lbs due to the water pill (I developed stasis dermitisis in my legs.....lots of red itchy rash and swelling a lot (altho I think my toes looked cute fat) I was always a chocoholic...I used to get up in the middle of the night and eat a chocolate bar....well I haven't had a pc. of candy since 5/12.....and I don't even miss it....eat no sugar cookies and I tried the no sugar Russel Stover candy, altho good, it goes right thru ya, if you get my drift.  I'm still in pain from the ribs, Dr. says the older you are the longer it takes to heal.....darn it. But all in all I'm doing OK, if something needs doing and I can do it, I will, if not, oh well too bad.....

I bought myself some Oil of Olay moisturizer (sort of costly) and one of DD's said, "Mom, at 75 do you really think your gonna get rid of your wrinkles?", I smiled and replied,"Nope,, but maybe  it will keep them at bay".     ss  When life hands you lemons, Make lemonade!!