July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July 2013

I think he'll love it all :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yeah, don't think we'll have much time to see a lot of the Smithsonian, sadly. We only have Sunday - Tuesday afternoon or so in D.C. and I have the memorials, etc. on my must see list. We are taking him to the Spy Museum one day, Tuesday I imagine.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I understand - there really is enough in that area to fill as many vacations as you'll have before he graduates, lol.  I would like to go, again; I've only been once, and it was in college.  My grandmother's friend treated us; she was in a push wheelchair, and my grandmother an electric.  I drove them all over with the map in one hand and the wheel in the other at 19, and much of DC was under construction - a little crazy!  We had to drive everywhere due to their chairs, but it was a blast and we saw a lot.  Can't remember how many days...5, maybe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like a good time that you all had. We are getting a 48-hour ticket to the Big Bus, which includes the night tour. I suspect we'll do that Sunday/Monday. We can get on/off as we'd like. Next year (8th grade) his class travels by bus. They leave on Monday and come home Friday night. They also go to Gettysburg on the way home.

- Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We would have loved to do the bus you can get on and off as you like with that pass - imo that is THE way to see DC unless you have extenuating circumstances like we did.  That's great he'll get to go again; it's practically guaranteed he'll see some different things on trip 2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Here we go again. BDC keep asking me to log in. Are you having the same problems?

Kar, I am glad Gracie is doing well. Her recoup may be easier this time around, as she is more mature. Sounds like it. Not that is it easy for you at all. What an angel you were at 19. Spending 5 days with two wheel chairs, pushing everyone around. Not many 19 year old would have done that. I am sure you did it out of love.
    Winter, you have planned a great vacation. You will all have a blast. I have only been once. We were invited to Regan's Inauguration to have tea with Nancy at the White House. Not that we ever saw her - LOL. We were at the time involved with the Heritage Foundation. We did some sightseeing too, but I would love to go back. There is just so much to see and a lot of new things have appeared since Regan's time. I would love to see Julia Child's kitchen at the Smithsonian.
    Enjoying the rain today. It is only light rain, so I have opened the windows. Nice to feel the breeze and smell the fresh air. Chat later.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, she was only 2 last time, not a puppy but not as mature as she is, now.  That might explain it, but DH is being far more supportive this time, too, so maybe it's both.

It was a challenge to handle driving the van, etc., but I really did have a wonderful time myself.  I was 19 going on 40, lol.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, maybe DH is more mature now too. LOL
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's what I was getting at, LOL!

I took Gracie's cone off, and she's resting happier.  I'm listening for licking, and checking on her every few minutes; she seems completely uninterested in her leg.  So, unless that changes, we'll just keep it on her at night when I can't keep my eye and ear on her.  As it heals it may become more itchy...we'll see how it goes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Now, I'm just getting to that back room.  Ran out to do grocery shopping.  Discovered a loose composite on one of my teeth, and decided I needed some soups and soup material to get me through the week-end, called the dentist and they will see me Monday.  Came home and put things away, ate very slowly, then took a little nap.  Now, I'm ready to clean.

Have a good week-end anyone who isn't on tomorrow or Sunday.

Good to hear you were able to take that cone off Gracie during the day, Kargiver.  She'll rest easier.

Yes, Pingo, some days I log in 2 or 3 times during the course of the day.  It's getting to be the norm.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It is the first time, it happened to me, tt.
    Too bad you need an unexpected dentist visit. Soup is good. Do you own a blender - if so, you can make smoothies. Fruit, milk or yogurt and 1/2 banana for creaminess. Or you can just google "smoothies" and you will find plenty of good recipes. I hope, you can get through the weekend, and your tooth doesn't get worse and give you pain before you see your dentist.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, of course, it happens on the weekend, tt - sorry!  Hopefully, it won't be painful before you go Monday.

I've had a hard time loading pages, but haven't been logged out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, are you in pain?  Maybe just temp sensitive, hopefully nothing more.

Gracie had ankle (hock?) swelling this afternoon, but I iced her knee and massaged the ankle, and it has gone down.  Swelling at the incision/knee is what caused her to need a drain put in last time so I'm praying it stays down.  She also seems to be far more uncomfortable walking since the pain patch was removed (I took it off this morning as per instructions).  She's hopping more, avoiding any weight.  But, it's only been 3 days so I think she's ok, and I distinctly recall her hopping like this last time for about a week, I think...sigh.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Oh Kar...I was reading through all the comments from the last couple of days..and getting ready to say that I was glad Gracie was feeling okay..but now I see she's uncomfortable. Poor thing. She does look so sad in the picture. I wonder if the vet would approve another pain patch for her? Perhaps not though. They may not want her to get a false sense of security and walk around a lot. Still..it's sad to see your pet in pain.

Pingo..I thought my neighbor showed a tremendous amount of character in coming over. Many people would not have done that. After all..he really had no idea how we would react..but we are really "go with the flow" people for the most part..and I would never hold the bad acts of a person against their family. On that note..we got a call from the police this morning. The NH police arrested the kid, recovered the stolen jeep and our plates. They told us they had to keep the plates as "evidence for the trial"  but that afterwards, they would contact us about disposing of them. I am glad to have closure on the whole thing.

TT...Hang in there over the weekend! Nothing worse than a toothache if it comes to that. No steak or caramel candy for you this weekend :-) Too bad the dentist doesn't have Saturday hours...ughh.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, mc, I think she's relatively ok, it's just hard to see her favor the knee more than she did when I got her.  She hasn't done one "bad" thing yet so I have to trust she's healing properly.  The pain patch is strong stuff so they don't repeat it, but I'm giving her the pain pills she's supposed to have.  I think it's normal, just so unsettling and scary.  I almost wish she could stay there for 2 weeks!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Yeah, don't think we'll have much time to see a lot of the Smithsonian, sadly. We only have Sunday - Tuesday afternoon or so in D.C. and I have the memorials, etc. on my must see list. We are taking him to the Spy Museum one day, Tuesday I imagine.

- Darth Vadar

Winter, check out the Navy band on the West front of the Capitol on Mondays at 8 pm.  you and I had corresponded on another board and I know you are going to miss the Wed twilight tatoo at Fort Myer. This is a good alternative! Enjoy!  It's free. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Goodness, I'm in no pain, they would have seen me if were.  Actually my dentist is away and his associate is seeing patients alone.  I'm staying away from the tooth, a front one, so easy to do, by eating softer foods and cutting things up small.  I'll be fine until my Monday appt.

Picked up some watermelon yesterday and want to get a bowl of that, strawberries and blueberries put together first thing this morning.  In the back of my mind, planning Lilly might come down, but even if not, got a lot done in that anticipation.

Good to see the sun, and Harry this morning.  Cat Lady has had him come for breakfast the mornings I haven't seen him, so I knew he was alright.  Think with the rain he just cut down on the extent of his roaming.

Hope you can see an improvement in Gracie this morning, Kargiver.  I understand completely what you meant about almost wishing she had stayed at the vets 2 weeks.  You know they are  on top of things and know immediately what is a serious symptom, and what is not.  Hard over the week-end too, tho I'm sure you could reach them if you needed to.

Joggers and walkers going by, inspires me at the very least to get showered and dressed right away - after 1 game of Mah Jong!  I'll check in later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all!

tt, great news your tooth is just an inconvenience.  I hope with all your preps in anticipation of a possible visit that Lilly does come.

Harry has it good between you, Cat Lady, and owners..."it takes a village." :)

Our patient is doing well this morning, minimal hock swelling and no discernible swelling at the incision/knee.  I called the hospital this morning, and they said my description sounds normal.  They also confirmed it's safe to crush her pain pills which she's spit out clean of peanut butter a number of times (although I eventually have gotten her to swallow them).  So, I'll try mixing the powder in peanut butter for her noon dose.

watching Food Network's "Best Thing I Ever Ate: Rise and Shine" - drooling over all the yummy, decadent breakfast treats...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tooth and all, I managed choc chip banana bread (cut in very small pieces that I could pop into the back of my mouth to chew!) and coffee!

Opened up the blinds in this room and the sun is shining on the spare bed.  Cheerio is in her glory, toasting away there.  Finally found a new ironing board cover and put that on, so the board is folded up to keep her off it.  She loves that perch, but I'm not fond of ironing on top of cat oil and fur.  Keeping a towel of something over the board works fine for a week or so, and then I forget to put it back on after I'm done ironing.

Everyone is out walking their dogs this morning, all sizes from German shephards to little pekinese.  Has Gracie shown any interest in going out this morning?  Once your husband is out there, she probably will want to be out with him.  When do you take her back for a checkup?  Is it two weeks?

Pingo, what's going on with your fam this week-end?  Any specific plans?  It's OK if I don't have company this week-end, even with all my prep, the anticipation of possible drop in guests is what gets me going to get a lot of little things taken care of that I've let slide.  I use it a lot, sort of half pretend someone is coming.  My motivation, so to speak.  Speaking of which, want to give the bathroom a freshening up.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, I can imagine ironing over "cat" wouldn't be ideal. ;)

Any word from Lilly's mom?

Gracie does want to be out there with Daddy, but cannot do anything other than bathroom business at this point to reduce the chances of getting severe swelling in her knee.  Just about all walking is considered overuse right now.  So, she's locked in her crate - usually the door is open during the day.  She's tolerating it OK.  Last time I was less stringent, and she paid for it with needing a drainage tube inserted (sooooo gross) and getting an infection.  You can imagine what a tight hold I have on it this time!

She went out and peed this morning but nothing else.  She has a hard time with the rest after surgery, but she's gone enough that we're not worried, just less than usual.  Took her out 45 minutes ago - false alarm, walking for nothing!  Now, I'm hesitant to take her out.  Her hock swells after we have a bathroom break.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Typed a nice long post, clicked onto Google to check something, and poof, post was gone.  Seemed interesting at the time I was writing, but now, guess it was just a listing of all I'd gotten done this morning, and my neighbor across the street talking with a guy about new front stairs - much needed.  Stairs have been roped off since last Fall when the mailman gave him a friendly heads up that one of these days, someone was going to fall on those stairs (probably thinking of himself delivering the mail), and then he'd be in for a big lawsuit.  Neighbor seems to have found a jack of all trades - the guy this morning was the same one who finally got his lawn down to a manageable height.  Saw them pointing to the much overgrown shrubbery too, so maybe at last some upkeep is going to be done.  (I do see the world from this spot at my computer!!)

Phone has rung a couple of times - "Kevin from the power washing business" - Another from "Last chance to get in on the lower credit card rates" - one other hangup.  Each time, of course, I checked the caller ID, thinking it might be Lilly's fam.  Still a little early for them.  Lots of week-end mornings Lilly sleeps in until 11:00.

Cheerio has taken up a new spot on the window sill of the open window in the room off the kitchen.  Even tho I was wiping it down with a Lysol wipe, didn't seem to bother her.  She loves to have a different spot each day to hang out in.  I've got the toyroom floor half mopped, again with wipes and a mop because I'm too lazy to go down cellar for the bucket.  Does a quick job and freshens the room.  Got to head back to that and then think of what I want to get for lunch, not chewy salad, maybe the rest of the soup I had yesterday.  Bought some beef stew yesterday and may start up a pot of that for later and tomorrow.

Hope you all are having the same glorious temps as  here.  Sadly tho, this morning, it made me think a little of Fall.  Are the days getting shorter or is it just my imagination that it gets darker a little earlier?  -  I'm going to hit "post" now before I lose this again.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Good to hear Gracie is recouping as expected. Hopefully you will avoid the scenario from last time.
    tt, I must say you got a lot done this morning and yesterday, so your tooth cannot be a big problem for you. Except for biting of course. Glad to hear, you have no pain. Hope Lilly will show up.
    No plans for this weekend, except for dinner at good friends, tonight. Tmw. is DS' last day here. He will be leaving Monday morning for Pittsburgh.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ladies, please notice, I made a correction to the Strawberry/Rhubarb cake. The original recipe says 34 OJ divided, but I already split it up in the posted recipe.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cleaning is done, but I have so much energy, probably the better barometer readings - think I will rearrange the pantry storage shelves I have alongside the cellar stairs.  Have accummulated so many decorative glass jars/containers that they are taking up space needed for spaghetti, canned goods, baking supplies.  Hate to get rid of any, but I know one I can put into use - bought a large bag of lollipops yesterday and can fill a jar with them and put them out for the little ones to find.

Temps have warmed up, changed into my bermudas.  Cheerio has gone from window to sun to bed to rug in front of the door.  OMG, didn't hear her come in, but now she's followed me in here and is stretched out on this bed.  Just wants to be in the same room.  OOps, see another plant in here that is long past being discarded.  Never used to let my plants die back, don't know what has happened to me.  No sense watering this one any more in the hopes it revives, out it goes.

Doesn't seem possible it's time for your son to leave already, Pingo.  I thought he was staying until September?  You just get used to having him around, and it's time for him to go.

Got a thank you today for the baby shower of a friend's first grandchild I went to back in May.  Only thing is, she thanks me for one of two substantial gifts I gave her - what do you do in a case like that?  Guess I'll just mention to her mo next time we are talking that I got the thank you and a beautiful picture of the baby, and hope she knows that I had also included such and such in the package (too big to be missed).

OK, shelves, here I come.  Think there's some clean shelf paper in one of the closets or drawers.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you could have sent some of your energy over here. Except for making lunch (stuffed portabella mushrooms and quinoa salad) and doing my exercises, I have ben lounging around all day. Should have done some cleaning and some laundry. Now we are getting ready to go out for dinner at friends.
    DS is leaving for PB Monday morning, but coming back to Boston after 3 weeks. Then he will leave for UK on the 4th of Sept..
    Enjoy your evening.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt