July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July 2013

Thanks, tt!  Sorry you had to jump through hoops to see it, but I'm happy you did. :) 

The photo goes back and forth here in my Safari browser, too, seemingly randomly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that cookook sounds very interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, I have that one - it has fabulous ideas.  Have to admit not doing it yet, but I've read it and still add my recommendation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes Kar, the pink dress turned blue in Firefox as well. Glad I saw the pink one. And especially you wearing it. It fits nicely on you, while the model's is a bit tight. Is BIL coming to the party? If so, be prepared for his remarks. Hopefully he will not have an acrid tongue. If he does, just shake them off; you will look gorgeous.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

tt, that cookook sounds very interesting.

- Darth Vadar

I first borrowed it from the library, and finally ordered it for myself.  Have pieces of paper marking about 10 pages where the recipes I like are.  I use it a lot in the winter, just because I tend to make a full meal for myself more in the cold weather.  Summer, lots of times I just grab something at night, even cereal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo.  I do like how it fits me better than the extra tight version on the model.  I can only imagine it's more comfortable, too!

Yes, he will be there, but he tends to be overly flattering in order to gain control by getting people to let their guard down so I expect he'll be complimentary.  It will be in a public place so the drama will be kept to a minimum, thankfully.  

The reason I'm so admittedly overly excited about my dress and shoes is that it keeps my mind off the obligatory wearing of the bomb vest wondering when he'll push the button between the time the party ends and we leave in the morning.  I'm trying not to think about it and instead focusing on my pretty pink dress and high heeled shoes.  And, I appreciate everyone's indulgence of my photos and ramblings, and votes of confidence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

When I go in through Chrome, then I see you in the pink dress.  Beautiful.  Back here in IE, it's still blue.  Strange.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Now that is weird...when I read your post TT I did what you did and using Chrome as my browser...a completely different picture of a pink dress showed up versus the picture of the blue dress that shows up when I use Firefox. Must be something to do with the browsers.

Btw Kar..that dress is gorgeous. I am partial to pink so I like that one better.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying cool. I don't think the heat is as bad as it's been.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You know, miscricket, neither do I.  One of my sons called tonight to see how I was doing in the heat, and then a different DIL called, asking the same.  I'm comfortable tonight with no A/C on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

You know, miscricket, neither do I.  One of my sons called tonight to see how I was doing in the heat, and then a different DIL called, asking the same.  I'm comfortable tonight with no A/C on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

TT..I would be as well. The heat doesn't bother me as long as it's not too humid. Alas..hubbie and son like the air...it's like the arctic in here! I knew when we were having the "heat battles" over the winter..that we were likely going to have "air conditioner battles" over the summer..lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, this afternoon the dress was blue but tonight it is pink.  Perhaps the atmosphere at the office is too acid?  Or the AC there made you turn blue with the cold?  I have to wear a sweater there and I love cold!

Cricket, sorry you are having AC wars, but it's good to keep Hubby happy.

TT, cranberries are tart as all get out, so they add lots of sugar.  Look at the ingredient list and see if there's corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and other -oses like glucose, sucrose, etc.  Maybe look for 'light' or artificially sweetened cran juice.  Or, as I do, cut it with seltzer -  1/2 and 1/2.

Off to the AC to finish my book.   Then dishes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks so much mc and hats.  I was thrilled to find it in hot pink, my fav, too.  Since my divorce from first husband I started getting into pink - it made me feel happy.  I'm over that, of course, but I still love pink.

hats, love the litmus paper reference, LOL. :)

Mc, ah the age old temp war. The only reason we don't have the same situation is that DH is too cheap to set it cooler, hahaha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Heading out in a few for a hair appt and other errands.  Have a great morning, everyone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Saw Wizard of Oz at the North Shore Theater last night, it was very good. We are frugal, so we have throws that we use in the Winter. We don't have central a/c but we have a couple of window  units. DS keeps his room pretty chilly at night.

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Leisurely few hours before I head out for lunch date. Quiet in the neighborhood, save someone having what sounds like a roof taken off down the side street.  Hot work in temps like this.

Peeked out my window when I got up during the night, hoping to see the family of deer on the front lawn next door, even opened my front door and looked over.  I'm sure they are hitting different yards.  I've got hostas out front too, and thought maybe they'd wander over here.  

Time is winding down for that poem.  I'm designating tomorrow morning, as soon as I get up, to sit and contemplate!  Have all the card makings, "embellishments", etc. already bought, so it's just a matter of putting it all together. It's just hard not to say the same exact things I said for pumpkin's birth, since I feel the same sense of love and wonder.  Mom and babies (at 19 mos. pumpkin is still a baby to my way of thinking) are doing well, btw.  Talked with her mom last night and she is amazed at how well her dau is doing with both little ones to care for.  She has been stopping in after work and bringing her a salad or something easy to pick on.  She knows her best and what she would like to eat.  Perhaps I'll check first about whether or not to precook the lasagna.  That was my plan, thinking they could easily reheat it that day or freeze or refrigerate for another.  Maybe I'll bake it and then divide it into separate containers for 2/3 person servings.  That way they can eat what they want Sunday and then pop the remaining containers in the freezer for another time.

Hope you all stay comfortable today.  I'll pop in later this afternoon.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Hot but comfortable morning. Enjoyed my cuppas on the deck, and it was quite pleasant out there. A/C was on at night. We have set it at 78 degrees - and it never went on. During the day, when we are at home, we keep it at 76. Looks like today will not be as hot as yesterday.
    tt, I would precook the lasagna, so all the new mom has to do is to heat it up. I bake mine for 50 minutes, and a lot can change in 50 minutes w/ a new born. Your idea to divide it up is right on. Smart thinking.
    UKS is already on his way. Will reach NY around noon time and Boston late this afternoon. Unfortunately, there is no straight flight from Birmingham. Will be good to have him home again. So looking forward to it.
    Good luck w/ your hair appointment, Kar. And enjoy your lunch, tt. Have a good day and try to stay cool everyone. Will check in later.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

TT, I make my lasagna in loaf pans. This will normally be 2 dinner size servings and one lunch size portion. I think I get 3 loaf pans out of a single recipe.

Thanks for the cookbook suggestion. I will look for it the next time I'm at the library. DS has asked to go and get some books so we will be making a trip soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just went out to cut fresh flowers. It's oppressive.

Also, in regard to the book "Once a Month Cooking", I ordered it but returned it. I got some ideas from it, but I found by cutting the time, the authors used too many processed ingredients in their recipes. Canned soups galore, canned chicken, precooked rice, canned vegetable etc.  It was not for me, as I like to use everything fresh, if it is avalable. I also found, there were lots of repetitions.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Other than my former husband (who, along with his Mom, could cook anybody I knew under the table), the best I learned from was Joy of Cooking. A must have for anyone setting up their first apartment. Also, I still have many CC recipes from the print version of this column.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, yes, my absolute favorite (and most stained, lol) cookbook, Joy of Cooking.  Have been using it since 1996.  Excellent notes.  I learned how to prepare an artichoke, truss poultry, and so much more.  Food buying guides for all types, fruit, vegetables, every cut of every meat...I could go on and on.  My mother didn't cook so I learned from this book and the Food Network.

Speaking of cooking, I ordered the stove today.  Can hardly wait.

Safe travels for UKS, Pingo; have a wonderful visit!!

tt, even if the poem expresses similar ideas that's great - of course you feel the same way so it's only natural.  It will be just as special.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I do have Joy of Cooking and I learned a lot from it. But my new favorites are: How to Cook Everything and How to cook Everything Vegetarian both by Mark Bittman. They are kind of amodern updated version of Joy of Cooking. Two huge volumes, with the latest techniques and tons of up to date recipes. If I had to give a new bride a cook book, it would be one of those.
    While in TX this time, DS installed the version on my iPad. Just search and everything is on my fingertips. It includes a grocery list, that can be customized and printed. Now I need a stand for my iPad.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Those sound like excellent additions to the library.  I have a $3 wire plate stand for my iPad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Home again, home again, lickety split " - except of course, it wasn't.  Was sitting in a booth waiting (got there very early) and finally left my table and went out to the lobby - sure enough she was sitting waiting there, hadn't thought to check at the desk.  Nice lunch of salmon salad and we caught up for a bit, and then left, where upon I got lost in the Used Book Store.  Love that place.  This one in Danvers is so big and they are so helpful.  My older son wanted specific meditation/new age books and they found a couple that were on his list.  Then I filled up a bag with gently used books for pumpkin.  One of them makes sounds, he'll love it.

Got a Gail Godwin, "The Good Husband" for myself, and a Charles McCarry, "the Better Angels".  Both look good.  Of course, the books no longer are $1.99 or $2.99, but when I'm through I'll donate them to the library - they both are in that good of a condition.

Week-end plans have changed somewhat, G.T. and partner planned on going over to pumpkin's around 12:30.  I felt that was an awkward hour to drop in on someone, so emailed that I would meet up with them there later, after 1:30, if they're still there.  Actually better that we take out own cars, because then we can arrive/leave when we're ready.  Have an appt. Friday late morning, but will bake some cookies that day and the scones and lasagna Sat a.m.

Neat idea about the lasagna in loaf pans, SAW.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like a fun day, tt.  Good thing you checked the lobby!  Nice finds at the bookstore, too.  Friday will be a busy day, but I'm sure it will be appreciated and everyone will have a great time.  Hopefully your visits will overlap.

picked almost a quart of blueberries and 1/2 pint of raspberries tonight.  There's just a small raspberry patch, now, since much of it went by and DH ripped it up last year.  The blackberry bushes are loaded, but they come later.  Looking forward to making jam on the new stove.  I don't care for blackberry seeds so they will be my jam fruit of choice.  But, I'll make apple, too, I think, given how many apples are coming, and I'm not a huge fan of eating macs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

pingo,

I adore Mark Bittman. (He and I also share the same alma mater.) I miss his weekly column that he gave up a couple of years ago (even tho he still posts in another format).

The Danvers Used Book Superstore is one of my favorite bookstores. I look for folklore and mythology; drama; fiction; natural history. DD has purchased many of her Manga books there. The manager (the Asian-American one) seems to have a chip on his shoulder, tho.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Was Good Luck Farms in Lynnfield, Lynn or Peabody?

Are the Goodwin Circle homes in Lynnfield or Peabody?

Is Goodwin Circle itself in Lynnfield, Lynn or Peabody?

Sections
Shortcuts