July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: July 2013

Thx tt.   you girls will get a kick out of this - one of my friends came to visit, and brought her Vitamix!!  She is in love with it too and now takes it with her when she travels. She made a delcious soup, and some "mommy drinks" with fresh fruit and ice, and a few side dishes. seems like the only thing that it doesn't do is bake!!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, did you try the VB outlet store in Wrentham?  I've had good luck with discontinued patterns there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

It is hot out there today and only getting worse.

Everyone stay hydrated!

For those of you who are "of a certain age" stay extra hydrated and  stay in cool air if you can!  I work in healthcare so felt obligated to say something.

Not sure if anyone the clip on TV how quickly one can become hydrated and how it effects so many body functions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Have an appt. at 11:00 to check these old eyes, and want to get what groceries I need in before then, but want to tell you about this.

Last night after supper I was sitting on the couch, watching TV, the front door open, and I heard, "HELLO" and a loud knock on the screen door.  I went to the door and a teenager around 17, was down on the bottom stair, his hands in the air, wildly waving his fingers, and said, "I'm not one of the bad guys.  I'm really not. I just want you to vote for me so I can finish this program."  He said all this while laughing, and took a little black notebook out of his pocket.  Should tell you here that he was black.  Such inappropriate behavior and such a turnoff.  Obviously he wasn't from this neighborhood, or he would have know it's an integrated one of many races, all living quite peacefully together.  AND, if he or his parents were really afraid for his safety in this area, why would them let him go round door to door here.

Later on the news, I saw in regard to reactions regarding the Treyvon Martin decision, a suggestion made by someone in the black community (not sure if it was one of Treyvon's parents - came in on the middle of the news broadcast) that blacks tell their children if anyone approaches them to say, "Hey, I'm not a bad guy, I'm just a teen trying to get home".  Did anyone else see that?  Apparently the boy who came to my door was either following those instructions or mimicing it.  

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Good you could check in, Nov - so happy for you and the fam enjoying your vaca!

Hats, yes, thank you. The VB clerk called Wrentham and The Paper Store as well as suggesting eBay and Craig's List.  Nothing. :(  It's totally gone at least in the small travel sizes I was looking for.  I went to Natick because of the backup plan of hitting L'Occitane.  They have their house on the market so I didn't want to buy anything she'd have to pack.

While I was there I found a jalapeño pepper baker for $8, marked down from $20, at Williams Sonoma as well as a corer.  So, tonight, a first batch of baked, stuffed peppers.  It fits nicely in the toaster oven.

ETA:  NOV, I laughed so hard because I can relate to your friend and her attachment to her Vitamix!!  I don't want to be without it, either - it really is an amazing appliance, worth every penny!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, we posted at the same time so just saw your story.  Very strange and sad.  

Saw a heartening interview with Charles Barkley this morning, though, in which he said that the media is handling this very poorly and any time there isn't enough evidence to have a trial the case shouldn't even be tried and, if it does, not guilty is the only correct verdict.  It was Fox News, though, that reported it; I wonder if the other networks are.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. DS' team is in the playoffs at camp. I'm unable to go, as I didn't know parents were welcome, but DH will be there starting at 1:45.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, that's great, Winter!  Too bad you didn't know early enough.  Best to DS and his team!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It is HOT out there, ladies.  Just got back from S&S.  Leave in another hour for eye appt.

Nice that your husband can go and watch your DS's game, Winter.  He seems like a very involved stepdad.  That's great.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    That week went fast, didn't it, Winter? Nice that DS's team is in the playoffs. Any other celebrity meetings?
    tt, did you really opened the door? I wouldn't have. Glad you are safe. Too often the media do more harm than good. This Zimmerman frenzy should never have happened. No one knows, what really happened btw. the two of them. Treyvonne might not have been as innocent, as they want us to believe. Sadly we lost a young life. It would have been better, if Zimmerman had gone to jail - for his own protection. He will always live in hiding and in fear for his life.
    Happy vacation November. I love my Vitamix too. It is really a wonder machine. But I never thought of taking it on vacation. LOL
    Don't know yet the plans for today. DS already went running - 5 miles - early this morning, before it would get too hot. I do have to spend a couple of hours at the office. It's Friday and some people have to be paid. DS asked for meatloaf for dinner tonight. So I am going to make it this morning, not to heat up the kitchen later, when it gets really hot out.
    Had dinner on our deck last night, and it was really pleasant. Sat outside long after it got dark. Has anyone noticed, there are less mosquitoes this year? We haven't been bothered by them at all. And I am usually their bull's eye.
    Off the computer to make meat loaf. Have a good day. Chat later.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes it is great tt. He took the week off to shuttle DS to camp all week, so it's great he can go. He is going to record and take pictures for me. All the teams of course make the playoffs but they have the best record in the age group (11-13). No more players were there, but they did get to see Lucky the Mascot perform and he spoke to them all yesterday.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got an email back from G.T.  Last night they got people at their door "selling magazines", said they were from Fresh Start.  While his partner was talking to them G.T. ran upstairs and googled and found it is a scam going around (article by BBB).  I googled it and remembered that other years kids have come to the door saying they are trying to earn points for a vacation by selling magazines, and that they are from the high school.  Again, a scam.  Our local paper has run articles warning about that particular one - our high school doesn't have any such program.  Interesting piece from the BBB, if any of you are interested.  Some of them weave quite a sad story, and a lot of people have been duped.  There are other legitimate ways to help deserving needy.

ETA:  Saw your post, Pingo, when mine came up.  Yes, the inside door was open, but the screen door was locked.  I get a beautiful breeze in that front door evenings, and I'll be darned if I'm going to start keeping it closed.  My neighbor watches out for me - remember the time I was having a new ceiling put in and the worker was putting board in through the window?  She hopped right out of her screened in porch where she spends most of her time, and yelled at him, a phone in her hand!  Sometimes I may get aggravated when they park in my driveway, but she does keep an eye out for what is going on around my house.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Allready, thanks for the hydration reminder - usually that's my litany.  I've already had 3 glasses of water plus two coffees...the second an iced from DD (a real morning treat for me) and I will drink every bit of the melted ice as well....so all of you remember to keep those liquids moving and if you are not going to the potty frequently, then you are not drinking enough.  I find frequent showers are a must; if I get my hair wet and leave it to dry, which takes hours, I stay much cooler.  I sometimes take 3 a day in this kind of weather - no soap or shampoo just the coolest water I can take. 

A nice foot bath can help too; while watching TV, cool soapy water and a pumice stone can keep feet pretty and your blood cooled off!  Feet in and out, allow them to air dry on a towel...these tips might not help you, but if you talk to friends on the phone you can pass them on!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Hats, for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not a water drinker. I have to keep reminding myself to drink water. But I made a huge pitcher this morning of half watermelon juice and half water, from which I am sipping all morning. When that is gone, I will dilute cranberry juice with water and sip that. Plus of course my many cups of coffee, some of them cold w/ ice.
    Cool showers helps too. So does a damp towel packed w/ ice wrapped around the neck.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I just got back in.  Office was lovely and cool, so tried not to mind the "click on the blinking lights" as much.  Didn't find it that bad going from car to office, from car to house, but I'm definitely in the for day.  At some point will probably make the scones and have them out of the way.

BTW, got a good deal on the heavy weight, deep aluminum lasagna pans $2.99 at S&S.  They are on sale, buy 2 get 3rd free, so that totals to 2 @ $3 ea plus 1 free = $6.00 total, then there is a coupon on the pans, "buy 2 get $1.00 off, so another $1 off the $6.00 comes down to a total of $5.00 = 3 pans costing only $1.70 each.  These are much sturdier than the ones at the Dollar Store or CTS.  Just passing along in case anyone needs some.

Now for a huge salad, iced tea/lemonade, and Y&R.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, it is definitely H-O-T out today. But hopping in an out of home, car, store, office is not too bad.
    tt, did you ever get to go to the diner in Wakefield? DS and I went there for lunch today. DS decided on the Reuben and said, it was the best Reuben, he ever had. I had the tuna melt and it was yummy. Everything is like homemade - so fresh.
    Good buy for the lasagne pans. Are they no-stick? I would not need 3 lasagna pans ever though. But I could always use the other two as a gift, with some other stuff added. Might pick them up later today. I have company coming Monday, and was going to make my lasagne (the one w/ the no-bake noodles) again.
    Will spend a couple of hours at my office (DS is doing some school work next door) and then head home. The meat loaf is done, so I just have to make mashed potatoes and steam some green beans, when we get home. Hope it will cool off a bit, so we can eat outside like last night.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I grease them, Pingo, and they work great - they are disposable, I think.  (I've been using TJ's coconut oil non-stick spray; it does not impart a coconut flavor, and it's better for you than most other choices.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, they're not fancy pans, Pingo - disposable ones.  I oil mine a little, especially good when you're bringing something somewhere and don't want to have to keep track of your dish.  You would not use them as a gift.  I just thought it was a "find", because they are nice heavy quality, you wouldn't be afraid lifting them out of the oven that they would tip.

Just talked with SS, she is doing good.  Home today, thank goodness, so out of the heat.

Talking with SS makes me think of Icer, because the two of them have met and shared a lawn watching a parade/fireworks.  Haven't seen a post from her lately - how are things in your end of the world, Icer?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

This day just won't end. That pool is calling me and a frozen pina colada is as well!

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That is a great find, tt; I've used the flimsy ones and nearly had lasagna all over the oven door instead of on my way to a party.

Winter, I can only imagine!  I think it's the hottest it's been...maybe...I dunno, who cares, it's HOT!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok, I got it. Like foil pans but stronger. On Monday I will use my lasagna pan, I have. I can present it on the table. I use the foil ones, when I want to freeze the lasagne.

Kar, I held the coconut oil spray in my hands last I was at Tj's, but put it back on the shelf. I was going to ask you, if you had used it. Glad to hear you had good results. I don't like the other sprays. They make the forms sticky, like leaving a coat behind, that eventually burn into the ceramic.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It has a very high smoke point and is mostly just coconut oil, BUT I don't use anything but butter in my non-stick pans so I can't comment on that factor.  I'd bet it would not cause the build up "non-stick" sprays impart, but I wouldn't want you to stake your pans on that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Happy Friday ladies ( at least what is left of it!). Wow..it is HOT out there. I knew when it was muggy at 5:00 am that it was going to be an icky day. Even now..it is still unbelievably hot or as my son likes to say "welcome to the surface of the sun".

TT..how did your eye appointment go? Hope it went well.

Kar..too funny about the foil lasagna pans. I have a really nice lasagna pan that I've had for well over 20 years and I rarely take it anywhere. If I make lasagna for work or a party I will use the foil pans..but always cook them with a cookie sheet underneath. This way no chance of disaster when taking it out of the oven.

Went out for an early dinner at The Loft in North Andover. It's one of our favorite restaurants. I love to cook, but it was nice not cooking in this heat.

Hope everyone is staying properly hydrated. It's very important in this heat.

Found out today that I need to get a passport by October. Ughh..I knew I was going to have to get one eventually..but I guess I will have to start the process sooner than I thought.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Will you be able to get a passport that quickly, mscricket?  Good to know, if you can, I should get mine too.  Didn't keep it up, it's expired, and "you never know" (says Loetta LaRoche).

I always stew over the Humphries Field Test.  Hold my breath until I get the piece of paper that says it's within  "normal range".  Tried to feel out the tech doing the test today, but she was too wily.

Is The Loft anywhere near Angelica's?  Old pals and myself meet there once a year or so for lunch.  If it isn't too much further up, might try there next time.  We seem to be stuck on Legal Seafood every 2 or 3 months right now, altho Burlington gal who meets with us was telling us about a couple of new restaurants out that way.

Card is made, and I'm not all that pleased with placement of "embellishments" aka "stickers" (haha).  Once they're on, they're on tho, and to rebuy the 2 pkgs I bought for this card and make another, would run another $10.  As SS said when I told her, pumpkin's mom will probably love it as is.

Hot in this computer room, sweat is starting to drip off, so I'm headed back to the l.r.and the a/c.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I meant baking pans. I always cook in butter or olive oil or a mixture of both.
    Just looked at the outside temp. It is still 92 degrees. Eating out will be out of the question. LOL
    Have a good evening everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt