July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July 2013

Wow, I could use some of that energy, too, tt - great going with all your organizing!  

I feel like the wind is out of my sails with Gracie's recovery.  I have terrible nightmares every night, and I don't sleep well in the first place waiting for her to need to go out or have some other need.  Happily, she just used the restroom thanks to Miralax, for the first time all day.  So, at least I know a bathroom need won't wake her up.  And, on another positive note, her only swelling seems to go up and down at her hock, not any to speak of at her knee.  I have been taking quality photos with the actual camera because it has a flash, and I want the doc to see the progression if there turns out to be a problem.  As soon as I upload them I'll post a few that aren't too yucky.

I loved your description of seeing the world out your window, tt - it so reminded me of years past sitting at the picture window with my grandmother wondering about this neighbor and that, harmless supposing. :)  I miss her so much.  She always had candy to find, too.

pingo, the visits go by so fast, don't they?!  I hope it was great - I know it was.  Only 3 weeks 'til you see him, again, so parting won't be so hard.

Thanks for pointing out the cake correction.  I think I'll make that for my aunt and uncle with coconut sugar and sprouted spelt - it will be a HUGE hit.

I am still using up non-cleanse food so made the most of it and bought beef tenderloin for my dinner.  Grilled it on the stove top in a cast iron grill pan - better than a restaurant - I cooked it exactly to order!  That and a glass of wine, another no-no on cleanse, and I'm as dirty as possible, lol.  Frankly, at my current weight and general good eating habits I am honestly leading toward skipping it this year.  DH doesn't mind; he likes it so doesn't see the unfairness of that idea. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

How did things go with Gracie last night, Kargiver?  Hope she and you slept through the night.

Didn't get the stew made yesterday so stuck it in the freezer, and now this morning have pulled it back out again!  Good day for stew and scones.  Going to get the scones made as soon as I have some breakfast.  Leisurely day today, maybe get some washes done.  My downstairs is clean as a whistle, except for the china closet, and I'm not about to tackle that day long project today.

Cleaning the shelves came across an old lunch box and a separate thermos that the kids  had, but googling ebay surprised they weren't worth more.  Mine aren't in excellent condition either, so would sell for even less.  Funny, how we always think something old has to be of high value.  Just like people selling their houses, always think it's worth more than the market will bear.

Starving here, so I'll go get a start on my day and check in later.  Have a good one.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

tt, thanks for asking - in real life our patient and we did great last night, and she looks good this morning.  Still some swelling at the hock, but the knee area looks better and better.  The bruising is diminishing and it's still not obviously swollen.  However, my dreams were another story. I dreamed that she escaped without her leash and climbed the highest oak to chase a squirrel and then JUMPED from the multi-story tree to land with a horrifying thud on all fours.  It's the second horrible nightmare I've had since picking her up.

just brushed her in anticipation of vacuuming and cleaning the woodwork today.  No sense bothering with that without a good Furminate first, lol. No baking since DH isn't eating baked goods for now.  Need to join those doing laundry, though.

You deserve a leisurely day, tt, after all that heavy cleaning.  Enjoy!

Pingo, when does DS have to leave today?

How is everyone else doing?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, Kargiver, what nightmares you had!  She's on your mind even during your heaviest sleep stage. 

I on the other hand was in a frenzy because I had lallygagged half the day away and then realized it was a Monday, a day I was supposed to be at work.  Looking through my closet found 2 dresses (1 similar to the one I bought Lilly), both blue, which I never buy, and was wondering if it was in the season that I could wear them.  After deciding yes, that it was July and OK for short sleeves and lightweight dresses, started to get dressed, saying to myself, "remember to put on nylons" (reminiscent of your quandry, no doubt!).  Ended up dressed, but in slacks and at work but couldn't climb the last stair, and had to reach up to grab my bosses hand and tell her, "Oh, I forgot to put on nylons" !  -  Must have been those 2 molasses cookies I broke into pieces and ate before going to bed -  Dare I make sugar cookies today??

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

omgosh, tt, that was hilarious!!!  So funny how our every day lives get worked into our dreams in bizarre ways.

I've started using warm compresses on the patient, and I think she really likes it and it's helping her hock swelling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did you keep a log last time after her surgery, of what seemed to help and what didn't?

Made the scones, a dish of brownies and now the stew is stewing.  All for me, I guess, no signs of any company.  At the end of the day I'll freeze the sweets to have to take out at a minute's notice. 

Have a wash in, and have gotten a couple of calls, and the day is going by a little faster than I like - dentist tomorrow, you know.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Her experience was not so great last time.  By now we had gone back to the surgeon for him to insert a drainage tube because of swelling at the knee.  We had special instructions to deal with that and then the infection.  So, this is really the first time she's gone through this in good shape.  All we can do for the hock swelling is warm compresses at the knee and hock and gentle massage of the hock to encourage reabsorbtion of the fluid.  It seems to be working perfectly.  She's already crying for her 3:00 dinner, her appetite totally unaffected, lol.  She's been to the restroom already so maybe she'll go again before bed?  One can hope. :)

It will come in handy very soon to have yummies in the freezer.  That's why I dream I raid it...thanks for giving me a heads up that tonight would be worth the trouble.  Yum!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon,
    Glad to hear the patient is doing well. You are a perfect nurse, Kar.

Sorry to hear your company didn't materialize, tt. What a tease. Guess you don't have any problems leaving the sweets alone today. Good luck tmw. at the dentist. Hope it doesn't turn into something major. I had my filling in my front tooth replaced at my last visit. It was getting discolored and I hated the look. It wasn't a big deal, as I didn't needed Novocaine.

Spending time this morning on the deck. Classical music streaming from the iPad. Just gorgeous out. Will definitely miss that spot, when we sell the house. Enjoyed a breakfast of green juice, omelets and fruit. I am making R-o-L for dinner. Hopefully we can eat that outside too. Even though they have promised us heavy rain. So far no sign of it. Finishing DS's laundry. He is leaving early tmw. morning.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Actually, it's me that teases myself, Pingo.  Was reading over DIL's emails after I had told her about getting the school clothes for Lilly, and she said they would be around in August.  Another week to go for that.

I'm working on adrenalin yesterday and today.  Anything to keep busy and my mind off of the dentist tomorrow, and the fact that I won't be seeing my own dentist, but his associate.  I get very nervous anyway, seems as tho my appts. always turn into something more complicated than expected.  Cat Lady's BIL has just gone through lung cancer surgery - has two pre-teen children, so I will offer it up for him - my discomfort, for a day of comfort for him.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, a lovely summer day.  I've been picking blackberries in DH's cotton, long sleeved shirt and jeans - kind of hot for that, but it's better than being stabbed and scratched.  Would much rather be sipping something on the patio - the blackberries make it quite clear they'd like to be left alone, and I'd love to give them their way, lol.

I get anxious even over a cleaning.  Hoping this filling replacement is no big deal, tt.

oh, my, lung cancer surgery...yes, not much trumps that. Best wishes for him.

pingo, is DS gone?  Enjoy your RoL tonight; I hope the thunderstorms hold off for a dinner al fresco.

came in to feed Gracie, now out, again, to fill another qt or 2.  She must be feeling better; she is opting to lay on her out-of-crate bed.  When she's in pain and miserable she has none of that one.  Her swelling is actually gone right now.  Will warm compress, again later.  Trying to be a good nurse, thank you. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is a nice way to look at it, tt.

We just learned, that DH's oldest sister (15 years older) had a stroke last week and have been in ICU since. They took her off the respirator yesterday, and she is doing better. Too far away to go and visit her. But DH's brother is there to manage the situation. Her own six children are all morons. They didn't even think of hospitalizing her, when she first had the stroke, and didn't call anyone. It was just by chance BIL found out, and immediately got her to the hospital.
    Second bad news today is, that our niece's (the one who is living here) husband is going back for chemo. He has been in remission for about 5 years. Who am I to complain about my aching hips and knee?
    The latest bad news today is, that TX son hurt his eye, and now has a blurred vision in it. Some inner bleeding. He is going to wear reading glasses to de-focus the good eye to make the bad eye focus ??? According to the doc, he will be ok eventually.
    When it rains it pours.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry to hear of the illnesses in your family and extended family, Pingo.  You're right, everything does come at once, and when we look at what others are going through, our old lady complaints are nothing.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How terrible, Pingo, all around!  Who doesn't take a stroke victim directly to the hospital?!  I hope she won't have permanent damage.  Usually after 5 years you're declared at least relatively in the clear, what a shock to need chemo, again, at this point.  How did TXDS hurt his eye?  Goodness! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The pic above is supposed to be of Gracie on her big, loden colored, round bed (no cone, not in her crate).  However, it goes back and forth from the crate one I posted earlier - a refresh or two ought to work if you see the wrong one.

Raining here gently...no storm, very humid.  Hoping your RoL is being enjoyed on the deck, Pingo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, good luck at the dentist. Pingo, sorry to hear about your family's medical problems. How did your DS hurt his eye. I know eyes heal very quickly, last Fall my hard contact lens broke in my eye, the cut did leave a scar, however it healed within a couple of days. My vision is not any worse then before in that eye. It did hurt more then expected, I had to wear my glasses for a couple of weeks. Kar, I see the photo, Gracie bed looks comfortable. Well all of our suitcases are packed, except for small items that we'll put in Saturday morning.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Can tell you are excited about your vacation, Winter.  It will be a long week waiting for Sat to come.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Was up at 5 to send off DS. Now waiting for him to call to tell me he is boarding.
    Winter, you amazes me. All packed? An entire week prior to leaving. Wish I was that organized.
    Kar, I still only see Gracie in her crate w/ her collar on.
    tt, good luck at the dentist today. Hope all goes well.
    TXDS hurt his eye at the ranch. He was starting some tool, you know the kind you pull a chain to start it. But the chain broke and he smashed his hand into his eye. He looks terrible. All black and blue. There is some inner bleeding in the eye. And his vision on that eye is all blurred. He got some glasses he needs to wear for reading and the computer, that will take the good eye out of focus, to help the bad eye get back in focus. Doesn't make sense to me, but he in under an eyedoc's care, so I have to believe it will help him. It will take 5 to 7 years to get his normal vision back. But he will get it back eventually.
    Have a couple of loads of laundry in the washer and dryer. When they are done, I will get ready and go to the office.
    Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Not sure if it's organization that I'm packed or the thought of having to do laundry Thursday night. Since DH and I can't wear shorts/capris to work that was all packed up and we happaned to have enough socks, etc. DS has enough shorts, shirts, socks, etc. to last so that was easy enough to do.

The eye doctor needs to get the bad eye strong again so it makes sense to me the reason for the glasses. Hope it's not too painful for him.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, we are excited, but the thought of having to work all day and then pack and do laundry during the week at ngiht, just wasn't sitting well with me. I packed DS' and my suitcase and then DH got his act together, once I wased the shirts he wanted.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just think tho, Winter, come Sat you'll be free as a bird and off on your adventure!

Trying not to chicken out on this appt today, but did call office and see when my regular dentist would be back - not til a week from Tuesday.  Figured I had better keep today's appt with associate.  it's a lot more than a filling, is a composite building of the whole front side of the tooth.  As soon as I hung up, got a call from cookie baking GD who wanted to come over - boy, was that a temptation to say, "Sure" !  She'll come over Weds morning instead.

ETA:  I'm getting the feeling messages from the Gods are telling me this appt today wasn't meant to be - now the dentist's office called and said he can't see me at noon, but can see me at 2:00 - - -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes tt I'm glad about that. I could use a vacation. I have an automatic feeder for Yoda, but a friend will be checking on him a few times next week. We always have an automatic watering for him but the food one we just use when we travel. Still keep your appointment, if that starts to cause pain it won't be good.

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I know, I know.  The one only other time I had this guy he drilled and drilled and then sent me down the street for a root canal.  You can understand why I'm apprehensive.  My own dentist would have made that decision from looking at x-rays, before drilling.  However, no more about me and my pitiable little dentist problem.  Offering something up isn't any good if you moan and whine about it.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Back from the chiropractor asap this morning, no TJ's trip or lollygagging since Gracie hasn't "gone" today and who knows when she'll need to.  She's got her warm compress on, now, with no indication she'll need to get up any time soon.

pingo, poor DS - he must look like he was in a heck of a brawl and the pain - and 5 - 7 years before normal vision?!?  My heart goes out to him.  How is the stroke victim doing?  Did you have your lamb out on the patio last night?  We got that little bit of rain and that was it. 

I think anyone still seeing the old photo just needs to refresh a couple of times to see the new one.  Tat s's how it works for me, anyway.

Winter, I remember your contact breaking and scratching your eye - scary.  Glad it healed 100%. Gracie's corneal scratch did, too.

tt, best wishes at the dentist this afternoon - hope it's no big deal this time.  I've had a root canal so can understand your concern.  People said how they are "nothing" today - um, mine totally suuuucked...sounds like your experience was similar so who wouldn't be nervous?!

starving...no breakfast before my appointment and rushed home without stopping.  Time to eat!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, your patient must be doing really well, since you could leave her alone, while you went to your chiropractor. I think it is normal to  "go" less for a bed ridden patient. Lot less exercise. Her water intake may be less too, as she doesn't work out and get thirsty, so it could lead to a bit of constipation.

My SIL w/ the stroke is doing better. She is having an echo-gram done today. DH spoke w/ her yesterday. She sounded very week. Thanks for asking.

TXS is no longer in pain. But his blurred vision bother him a lot. He is a computer guy, who has to watch the screen all day long. Besides, he never wore glasses and has to get used to that too. They give him headache.

We had our lamb last night, but decided to eat inside, as the skies didn't look like they would stay dry. Got some amazingly good asparagus at Costco. Nice and fat and so tender.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt