July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Re: July 2013

Oh TT if only they were little footsteps! DS is 46 inches tall, weighs 70 pounds and wears a size 1 extra wide shoes! The neighbors can probably hear him coming Smile. I don't expect little foot steps until maybe Christmas, DH says DD will walk by Thanksgiving!

When DS was born someone told me to write all his milestones on the calendar and that way you have a date to tranfer into the baby book. Some of his is in his baby book but you will also find the calendar from his first year, too! 

I will be heating up the kitchen today. I need to make carrot cake and chocolate cake for tomorrow's clam bake. My MIL told me not to worry but Great Grandma told me she might send me home if I don't bring carrot cake! She's a hot ticket! She gave DS a rassberry last night and nearly lost her dentures, her and I had quite a giggle about that!

SAW

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope you have A/C of some sort with that oven on.  I can feel the rise in temp already in this room which is in the front of the house.  Going to hop in the shower and try to find something loose fitting to wear today.

Finished one book yesterday and started the second I had brought home.  A spy novel and pretty good so far.  No plans for me this week-end, just as well, because I don't do well in the heat.  I'll stay right in the house.

Laughed at your description of your son, also your great grandma's raspberry!

Oh, Gawd, next door neighbors are out, trying to get kids in the car - hope that means they're off somewhere for the day.  Nothing is ever done quietly with them. 

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Filled the feeder yesterday, but as I was folding clothes this morning, looked out the kitchen window and the sparrows and a couple of mourning doves were all lined up, either on the feeder or the wrought iron fence beneath.  Went out with another container, and sure enough, it was empty.  Gave them some cool water in the birdbath while I was there.

G.T. just emailed me a pic of a miniature rose plant I had brought to him at Easter - planted in his garden, blooming away, and looking so healthy.  Wish he lived closer to keep the weeds at bay a bit, and do some trimming here.

Cheerio has hunted down the warmest room and is stretched out on the ironing board.  She is such a heat lover.  Once I get through little chores around this morning, she will follow me into whatever room I sit down in to read, and at least whether she knows it or not, be in a cooler place.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, a clam bake!  Indeed, I hope you have AC, mc, using the oven for two cakes.

Yes, we actually have our central AC going; DH caved and turned it on, lol, he's not really a fan unless it's truly unbearable.

picked 8 lbs of strawberries in this heat and then fizzled.  Just coming alive, again.  DH will be so happy when he gets home - they are super ripe and absolutely gorgeous.

not sure when to expect him.  Told him he could play it by ear and not feel pressure to get home by a certain time.  No "leaving now" call yet so he's still at least 2.5 hours away.  I'm getting Chinese for dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Well cakes are made and the house never reached 80. We've had 2 ACs running since Monday. DH has no AC at work so it's been a necessity. DS and I were already to make the carrot cake when I realized we had no raisins and had to run out. So I'll frost the carrot cake tonight, make pudding for the trifle and stuffing. 

We're having the ribs I planned for yesterday tonight with potatoes and corn on the cob. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmmmm, carrot cake, our favorite.  You've been busy, mc.  How do you do your ribs?

I'm about to order dinner...yay!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We caved to pizza - we skipped lunch except for fruit and crackers....the bbq finally ran out of propane the other day and I was not heating up the house by cooking.  Tomorrow we are going out to dinner.  If Sunday is still unbearable it'll be salad of some sort....I got a haircut and got all that hot hot hair off my neck.  And we went to the beach so it was a good day.  Hope you all had a good day too. 

TT, I am wearing one of my beach dresses from Florida - loose and cool - I thought of you and I hope you found something similar to wear.  Back to the AC with a book!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're a good woman to get those cakes made, Saw.  I've done nothing other than get the trash out, fill the feeder, and read - first in one room, then another.

BTW, Hats, finished "Flora" and really enjoyed it.  Now I'm 3/4's through the second book, "The Shanghai Factor" by Charles McCarry.  As I said before, not usually a spy reader, but obviously have enjoyed this story.  Part of it is that he writes short chapters - 6 pages and you're done and on to the next one, or putting a bookmark in until the next time you pick it up.  I'll check the library for other books by both authors.

Enjoy your clambake tomorrow, SAW.  Too hot for me to think of being outside yet.  Hoping Monday will be a little less humid.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up, Hats.  Funny thing, I had bought a couple of loose shifts down P'town quite a few years ago, but last year, I think, put them in the "to go" bag - I'm not as slim as I was when I bought them.  At the bottom of my pile of ironing found a pair of shorts made of almost a hankie material, so soft and non-wrinkling, that I had bought when I went to Hawaii 25 years ago.  The matching top to it is long gone, and the wide elastic waist has stretched out, but guess what, my hips now hold them up!  That with a top I had bought last year with a scoop neck kept me as cool as I guess I was going to get.  Somehow the new A/C doesn't seem to do as good a job of cooling down the house as the old one did.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, a great night for takeout!  I'm chowing down on Chinese and champagne - well, the cheap version from TJ's, anyway, just as good to me.  Pizza was a contender, but lost by a narrow margin.

tt, I wonder if your old AC had freon - nothing works like that stuff, but it's illegal, of course, now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Kar, I do the ribs a little different every time,  but this time it was a dry rub of cayenne, paprika, salt, Mccormick garlic and herb and brown sugar. I can't tell you how much of each but the ratio is half sugar half spice. Then I wrapped them in foil and grilled them. Just before we were ready to eat I unwrapped them grilled with some kraft honey bbq sauce. They were already falling off the bone when I took them out of the foil.  They were yummy! 

SAW

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ohhhhhh, man, that sounds like a run away winner, SAW...omg.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

oh saw, that sounds great - yummy ribs, what a great idea.

TT wish I could lend you one of mine...they are really like muumuus...so comfy.  But hanky like shorts and a tank sound good too.  I have one tank and a cotton, drawstring skirt I wear...like a really light sweat shirt material...that I love! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Well, it really isn't - to my way of thinking.  It is stifling here.  Shut off the A/C that I had running all night and opened the back door, expecting both Harry and cool air - neither.  I can hear A/C's  humming from all over the neighborhood.  Not a leaf is moving.  I like the windows and doors open at least a little while to hear the birds.

Nothing of interest to post about from here, as SS said last night when I talked with her - boring.  She, by the way, is coming along, even went to Foxwoods last week, and is back to her regular running out for errands.  Funny, how when we're sick we think we're never going to get better, and then all of a sudden one morning, turn the corner.

Wait, I see slight movement in the tree outside this window, can it be a breeze is picking up from the water?  I think so.  I'll open up the rest of the house to catch what I can.  Any of you spending the day outside, take care, drink lots, lots of water that is.  Since this book I'm reading will be done within an hour, may run out somewhere to pick up another, or possibly take one of Gladys Taber's about the Cape off my shelf.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, stifling morning!

I got up thinking that I'm getting tired of the AC (although grateful for it!), too.  But, like you said, tt, it's not so great a morning to air out.  The sun is going strong already, and it's very still here, too.  Maybe a few leaves are moving...or is that my eyes?

Got up late after Gracie was taken care of at 5:30...went back to bed and slept 3 more hours!  Heard a disgusted Gracie plop down at the foot of the bed so fitured it must be pretty late, LOL, and got up.

She's lamenting Daddy's not being home, laying on the rug at the bottom of the stairs apparently hoping he comes down.  Nope, he had to stay overnight last night unexpectedly since none of them got any sleep due to the fireworks at the lake going off all night long (individuals, not the city).  SIL stayed another night, too, too tired to drive home.

I don't know if he's left yet; he was planning to get up early and hit the road, but I know how that goes - stay for coffee, blah, blah. :)

So, for my own coffee I just turned the kettle off.  Gotta go brew 'er up.

Have a great weekend, everyone!  Winter, I bet you are loving the pool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi, Kargiver,

I know you must be disappointed that DH didn't get home last night, but better to sleep over than drive when you're too tired to be alert.  And yes, morning coffee is a good time to get in the last bits and pieces of things you wanted to talk about.

You mentioned once wading in water, posted a pic "with your white legs" (as you said to Ache! haha) - is that swimming water near you?  Don't remember you ever mentioning heading there to cool off on a hot day.  Have you ever considered putting in a pool?  A lot of maintenance work, I know, but once you get the hang of it (so says my son), it becomes automatic and as long as you keep up with it, no problems.  When the boys were young we had an above ground pool, as did most houses on the street with kids.  Then when the grandkids came along came the period of sprinklers for them to run through, and those slippery water sheet slides.  Once past my teen years of tanning with iodine mixed with baby oil, and heading to the beaches to attract the eyes of the boys, I've never really been a water person.  -  Strange, since my sign is Pisces!

Googled our local library and they aren't open on Sats., and couldn't find any used book store around here to browse through, so I'l be stuck later with whatever I choose to pull off my shelves and re-read.  Tomorrow's heat to get through too.  Wonder how it is up Lake Winnie.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I got up at 4 and looked at the thermometer: 77 degrees out - extraordinary for the temp to be that high just before dawn.  It was pleasant out as long as one just sat, but when I was handwatering my newly planted and delicate plants, it was not comfortable.  Yuccchhhh. 

Kar, I iced my coffee this morning; made it extra strong and poured it over ice.  Had a yummy nectarine for breakfast.  I wonder how Pingo is doing in TX.

TT, thanks for the update on SS.  Give her our regards - hope she'll come back and update us herself soon.

Drink water, everyone, especially if you are not usually in the habit!  I have been putting lemon wedges and fresh mint from the garden in my bottles, and then refrigerating them for grabbing when I think I am hungry - because that usually means you are thirsty....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, oh, yeah, my lily white legs!  Yes, we have a public pond nearby that is pretty decent swimming, but you need to take the row boat to get to that nice spot so it will have to be a family outing.  

Oh, a pool - nice thought right about now!  We do have room as you've seen in the backyard...maybe.  My SIL has a lovely in-ground pool; too bad they are an hour away...and not home, either!

Indeed, I was happy to have him safe.  We made out OK, although, of course, there was a twinge of disappointment.  He's not a fan of Chinese food (and even said something like that would make him vomit, hahah) so I won't have to do a thing today for myself other than reheat and eat...and eat...and eat...until it's gone.  I've got some fried stuff in the toaster oven right now!

Hats, your iced coffee sounds delish.  Once in awhile I do that, too, and this was a good morning for it.

It was 79 here by the time I got up - yes, that's the usual high here up at 1000 feet.  We can be as much as 10 degrees cooler here than further East.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I went out early too, Hats, to give each of the two new butterfly bushes out front a good drink with some fertilizer added.

On my second round through the kitchen, opening the window wide, Harry did come stretching out from under the shrub, where he probably was still sleeping when I quietly opened the door earlier.  Ate, and then by the time I came back into this room, saw him dart across the street into the grass in that yard that sorely needs mowing.  Hunting time.

My coffee is always scorching hot, that's the way I like it, regardless of air temp.  Topped my breakfast off with a handful of cherries.  That's all I have left for fruit, that and some frozen blueberries that I can always take out a handful at a time.  Searching through freezer to see what's in there able to be quickly thawed for supper tonight.  I'm kind of off salads the last few days, even tho 2 heads sit in the crisper.  Maybe just sliced tomatoes and cukes with the rest of the white rice, stir fried into some egg with Worcestershire sauce.  Drink of choice today is water with sliced lemon in it.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Harry would have, pardon the pun, a field day here, too.  

tt, we posted at the same time above, not sure you saw my answer about the pond.

DH will be home at 12:30 or so with leftover potato salad...guess I made far too much, lol, but at least everyone like it by all accounts.  His mom called last night, very nice chat.

I like my coffee scorching hot, too, nearly all the time.  Once in a great while (once a year or two?) I get a craving for iced, and I drink it black.  I take cream in it hot.  Odd.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Usually I microwave the cream for my coffee to make sure it stays hot, but it just did not appeal today.

Doing a museum tour today; I hope the AC is working there...guess it pretty much has to to keep the artifacts safe!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have fun, hats - I can't imagine a museum that's not AC'd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Trying to make my book last, so putting it down each time I finish a chapter, getting up and doing something else.  Silly me, I will still hit the last page before noon.  Debating with myself whether or not I want to drive to Danvers to a Used Book Super Store.  128 today?  I'm sure it will be loaded with traffic headed to Gloucester beaches.

Yes, Kargiver, I did see your post re the pond.  it still seems as tho you and DH and Gracie never go there.  Is there a reason, or are you two not water lovers?

Re the "hot coffee" - I usually take a swallow to be sure it's hot enough, if a millimeter too warm, do not add the milk I usually put in.  Easily can drink it either way, black or with milk, as long as it's HOT.

Seeing joggers going by, and that couple with the little boy in the covered wagon.  So cute.  The father pulls the wagon and the mother jogs easily beside  at least on this leg of their journey.

Cheerio has moved into the l.r. in front of the open door, where I am currently reading.  Better get back in there before she ups herself, heads into this room to be with me, and has to wash up all over again!  The life of a cat - eating and washing up!  Oh, and napping.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yes, we are water lovers for sure, but it's not a lot of fun, actually, because Gracie wants OUT of the boat, and I have to physically prevent our 75 lb girl from scrambling out until we get to and from where we're going.  

I bet the traffic rush is past, tt - get there and back before 4, and you'll probably be OK.

Joggers?  They are hearty souls...so hot.

Enjoy your book!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Oh the heat, we don't have central a/c and the window ones are doing much. Did spend some time in the pool yesterday, it's a lovely 86 degrees. Kar you should put a pool in. It is a lot of work, but it's so worth it in the summer. 

Tt, there is a lovely used bookstore on Main Street Stoneham (route 28) called the Book Oasis. Give my hellos to ss.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar