July 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: July 2013

Hi All!  Back from a four day weekend up the lake.  TT, it was fantastic up there - and noticably busier than it has been the past couple of summers.  Hope its a sign of good things happening.  We beat the heat hanging out at the beach, swimming, and eating TONS of watermelon. It was so nice to have the extra day, really felt like a getaway.  Baby girl did great for it being so hot.  She's a little trooper - and creative - playing with the water in the cooler and tossing ice to puppy.  Kept them both cool.  He loves the freedom up there.  No leash - just shoo him out the front door and he can run and play and chase chipmunks.  We never made it to the fireworks, but the neighbors were setting off plenty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Novem, so glad you all (including baby girl and pup) enjoyed it.  Babies are remarkable, aren't they?  Adjust so easily to whatever situation you put them in.  I miss it so.  After going up so many years in a row, do love it.  Noone to go with tho, cousin is not content unless we're on the go every day, and I can't drive that much anymore.  Like a day here and there just to sit and relax, look out over the water.  I'm working on visualizing my getting up there - with - someone!  Glad to hear business is picking up.  Such a nice getaway, and not that far.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speaking of visualizing - a couple of nights ago, dreamed of my nephew who passed away a couple of years ago.  He came just as clear as could be, was in an air force uniform (he was in the navy), and was in his late 30's instead of his real age,  but I can still feel my hugging him so tight and saying over and over, "I'm so glad to see you."

"Same here, auntie."

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem sounds like you all had a great time. tt,what a sweet dream rembering your nephew. I sometimes get the feeling that my dad is in the room with me. He's left shoe used to come untied very often and since he's past, my left shoe has come untied often. I think it's him letting me know he's with me.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Novem sounds like you all had a great time. tt,what a sweet dream rembering your nephew. I sometimes get the feeling that my dad is in the room with me. He's left shoe used to come untied very often and since he's past, my left shoe has come untied often. I think it's him letting me know he's with me.

- Darth Vadar

I'm sure he is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tried to edit my post since I wrote He's not his but can't today.

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

enjoying day 1 of DH's vacation after going to the chiropractor and TJ's this morning.  Just walked Graice, and it's not as hot but still summery.  A horsefly flew up my nose...unpleasant, but I survived. :)

nov, yay for a few days at the lake.  DH stayed an extra day and enjoyed his time with the fam.

tt, I read Petey's blog - I'm finally hooked, lol!  That one reminded me of how glad I am that so far I'm winning the chicken war.  Thanks!!!  Your link works, but you have to copy and paste the whole thing, not click on it.

And, interesting you saw your nephew at that age.  My mom dreamed of her mother shortly after she passed, and she, too, was a young version of herself, about 30 she said.  Slim, healthy, and glowing with happiness.

Winter, neat about the left shoelace, too.

Pingo, I laughed at your museum mixup.  I'd have been so happy for that - I'm not an Andy Warhol fan at all but really enjoy Normon Rockwell's paintings.  I never understood what was so great about a painting of a soup can and such...guess I'm not artsy enough.  So many people agree with the art world that it's great.  We have a collection of mugs with NR paintings on them that DH got from his grandmother's house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Winter, that is definitely your Dad letting you know he is with you.  I love hearing things like that.

TT - GT seems like he enjoys a road trip.  Why not plan a day, or an overnight?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad I finally got you to go over there, Kargiver.  Today's wasn't the best example of her postings, it was minus the usual beautiful pictures of the ranch and animals, (so you'd know who Sushimoo is! haha), but I head there first every morning, usually once a week she'll post a new blurb.  Is indeed a "farm woman", who used to train horses, and now because of RA has some periods where she is barely able to get around.  Then after a treatment, it subsides and she is back to her farm work and making soap and whatever way she can contribute to the ranch where she and her husband work as ranch hands now.  She has a beautiful spirit.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

Winter, that is definitely your Dad letting you know he is with you.  I love hearing things like that.

TT - GT seems like he enjoys a road trip.  Why not plan a day, or an overnight?

They are both very good to me,  but I can't suggest that to them.  There is seldom a "free" day in their schedules.  As it is, I appreciate when they suggest, as they did during their last vacation, taking me to Rockport for the day.  They do go to Lake Winnie for a week-end each summer to spend it on the boat of a friend in a neighboring town, and he sends me all those beautiful pictures I used to post.  They both work very hard and need their "away" time, and it's not "away" with a mother!

Today I did google where we used to stay up there, and have that picture imprinted in my mind to go along with the "visualization, so we'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I am not a Andy Warhole fan either. But I do like to go to art museums. There is usual a general exhibition, besides the guest exibitiion. but this was a welcomed switch. We both love NR. Have you been to his museum/studio in Stockbridge? Well worth the trip. 

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Believe it or not (by tt) -

I have an area rug with an Andy Warhol Home decoration factory design with a tag signed by him - mass produced, I'm sure.

Don't know what he entitled it, but to me it's a rising or setting sun on each end - sort of like The Lion King intro.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Where did you stay, if you can say without worry?  A lot has changed up there - and a lot remains the same.  Been going there my whole life.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We stayed always at the Half Moon right on Weirs Beach Boulevard.  Started the year I got divorced, took the 4 boys up over Labor Day Week-end.  We stayed in one of the cottages - really roughing it haha - and then the next year we met SS and her girls up there and would coincide our vacations so that we were up the same time each summer.  It was perfect for the kids, there was a nice pool with diving board, arcades then on the boulevard and plenty to entertain them during the day.  Later when my cousin and I started going up, we graduated to the motel because I knew she would have a fit if she saw how primitive the cottages were!  We "moved on up" so to speak.  It's a central location, beautiful view, and central home base to go out from.  Can't match that view from there out over the Lake.

What is gone that I loved was the book barn up on the left past Kellerhaus, almost to Meredith Landing.  An old white houseset in back with a barn and the most knowledgeable book lady.  All sorts of books and she would even order them for you.  The year she passed away, we were up there and I have and still use a blue thermal blanket of hers that they sold from the household goods.  Think of her and the good times we had up there every time Cheerio and I curl up on the couch with it.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pingo, I would have gone and had fun, too, but I would be inwardly thrilled for the mistake!

tt, are you a Worhol fan, or just like that particular piece?  I don't think I've seen that one.  Honestly, the only one I can think of right now is the Campbell's Tomato Soup painting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

If you google you will see loads of his design rug in all sizes.  Mine is an area rug in reds with the sun at either end.  I paid much less than the prices even advertised on the internet - got it at T.J. Maxx and chose it because of the colors.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Andy Warhol died @ 7 years before The Lion King came out. Someone's making a mint of his name - perhaps his estate?

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to reindeergirl's comment:

Andy Warhol died @ 7 years before The Lion King came out. Someone's making a mint of his name - perhaps his estate?

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

You took me too literally.  There is a design at either end of the rug, which my 9 year old GD said, "That  looks like the movie 'Lion King', Nana." 

In googling Andy Warhol Rugs to see if I could find a pic of mine, came across:

"Andy Warhol was known for breaking the rules, harnessing the latest technology to express his ideas, and creating a new movement in the Twentieth century, art to be studied and imitated for years to come. The designs are ground breaking and a true fashion statement for your home. The Andy Warhol Home Collection is divided into four design categories that span the different themes of his portfolio:Factory, Pop Abstracts, Signature, and Simply Andy. The factory designs were influenced by the early textures and shading of Warhol's Factory period. An added benefit and unique aspect of this partnership is that a portion of the proceeds from each rug will benefit the non-profit Andy Warhol Foundation. The foundation was formed with funds from Warhol's estate, and funds art edcation and special museum exhibitions for up and coming artists."

(Rug Studio)

Sounds good to me -

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Neat!  I had a pretty narrow view of his work.  (I knew you were saying the rug was reminiscint of the Lion King sun.)

Rough night; DH snored and woke me up at least every hour until 4 when I went upstairs to the guest room...sigh.  Time to make coffee!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

A lovely cool morning!  A bit of drizzle, so I don't have to begin the day by carrying water to my hydrangea which is beyond reach of my hose.  It is also on a down slope, so it needs a lot of water.  Not a good place to plant it, but there was already a hole there, so we just threw it in to see if it would grow (it was a donation from someone who dug it up from their yard....)  The flowers are pale purple, and this is the best year it has had yet because of all the rain in June.

Certainly Warhol's art is deceptively simple in appearance.  When one studies it in the context of art history, one learns about the things he did which were revolutionary in his time, and harder to do then than now, because of the revolution in printing techniques.  He did blur the line between fine art and graphic art, part of a movement which included artists such as Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns.  He also was seminal to the performance art movement.  One can appreciate the significance of his art without necessarily responding to it in a visceral way.  I do remember seeing a lot of his work at MOMA some years ago and reachng a deeper understanding of what he was doing.   I am glad I took Art History in college back in prehistoric times - almost 40 years ago!  It has enriched my life and made museum visiting an extra enjoyable pastime.  Since my DH enjoys museums too, it surely gives us something to do together!  TT, so interesting that the 9 year old is able to make connections between art and popular culture that many adults might miss, she is an observant child.  Not surprising, look at how smart her GM is.

I'm having coffee with a friend today and going to the library.  Might also stop at BBB to look for a new electric frying pan.  My old one works well but the coating is deteriorating.  Hope you all have a good day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thank you for posting that, tt. That's awesome.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I'm not a Warhol fan either and I took Art Appreciation in college. I'm more of a Monet girl. I've never been to Weir's Beach, but I did go to Girl Scout Camp at Lake Winnie when I was younger.

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I appreciate art and get that there are truly great artists that I don't care for.  I dislike Worhol as much as I dislike Picasso and no one would argue that they didn't contribute immensely to the art world.  I'm a van Gogh fan, personally.  And, my great-grandmother; her beautiful oil paintings are up in our home and everyone notices and asks about them.  I have fond memories of her painting them.

Ah, there's the stone delivery guy for the driveway touch up/fill in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

DD loves Van Gogh. I love Renoir.

And that's lovely, kar. She had (has) the gift.