July 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

July 2014

I posted in June as did Princess and hats so see there first :)

Happy July - thanks for the reminder, hats!

Too bad you have to postpone Maine, Prin.  I assume you must be doing well, though, to have had that planned. :)

Posting now before duplicate July thread appears...back to picking berries before it gets HOT.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: July 2014

Hey guys, it's July - - -

Good to see your post, Princess. I was at Costco the other day and asked about Peter and was told, "I really don't know." I know you told him there were customers asking for him and thinking of him. Pharmacy isn't the same there without Peter. He makes the place. The young man who is there (and now sporting facial hair!) tries and is very nice, in fact helped me this week with script my insurance doesn't cover, but - I MISS PETER.

A bit muggy this morning, wouldn't you say? Just got up, some kind of street sweepers or something unloading down the street, and I thought it was the guy across the street going out in his truck - surprised when I raised my head and saw it was 7:30. Cheerio purred, "I kept telling you - - -"

Kargiver, hope your plans to get together with your friend can be rescheduled soon. You were right, this wasn't the time to add extra driving stress to yourself.

I've got to get a move on. Cheerio and I are starving. Oh, before I forgetr - 9:00 last night what catawalling and horrible gutteral sounds outside my back door. Cheerio was terrified and I got up from the couch to see what was out there, didn't know if the sounds were coming from her or outside. Harry and Fluffa Nutta going at it. OMG, I threw water at them but they just continued it on up into the back yard. Harry just got rid of a cone the vet had put on him to let scratches that had become infected, heal. I get so disgusted with their owners. Cat Lady down the street is more empathetic about them letting him out, but my Gawd if he is going to keep getting hurt, KEEP HIM IN.

Gotta go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Here's the post TT could not cut and paste!

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Hey guys, it's July - - -

Good to see your post, Princess. I was at Costco the other day and asked about Peter and was told, "I really don't know." I know you told him there were customers asking for him and thinking of him. Pharmacy isn't the same there without Peter. He makes the place. The young man who is there (and now sporting facial hair!) tries and is very nice, in fact helped me this week with script my insurance doesn't cover, but - I MISS PETER.

A bit muggy this morning, wouldn't you say? Just got up, some kind of street sweepers or something unloading down the street, and I thought it was the guy across the street going out in his truck - surprised when I raised my head and saw it was 7:30. Cheerio purred, "I kept telling you - - -"

Kargiver, hope your plans to get together with your friend can be rescheduled soon. You were right, this wasn't the time to add extra driving stress to yourself.

I've got to get a move on. Cheerio and I are starving. Oh, before I forgetr - 9:00 last night what catawalling and horrible gutteral sounds outside my back door. Cheerio was terrified and I got up from the couch to see what was out there, didn't know if the sounds were coming from her or outside. Harry and Fluffa Nutta going at it. OMG, I threw water at them but they just continued it on up into the back yard. Harry just got rid of a cone the vet had put on him to let scratches that had become infected, heal. I get so disgusted with their owners. Cat Lady down the street is more empathetic about them letting him out, but my Gawd if he is going to keep getting hurt, KEEP HIM IN.

Gotta go.

Sorry, Yours wasn't there when I posted.  Tried to cut and paste mine, but I must have some other piece saved and it just kept printing that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Too funny.  I tried "copy and paste" and that worked then went back to erase mine.  Thanks, Hats.

ETA:  Wish we had the picture feature - what a beautiful breakfast - egg/cheese omelet on a bed of lettuce, carrot, broccoli, mushroom - picture perfect - and delicious.

ETA2:  Should add that it killed me to look at the scones and choc chip cookies I took out of freezer to bring in case I run into pumpkin today!  Boy, did THEY look good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry, tt, your new thread wasn't showing when I created this one...darn the boards...well, at least we can post.  They've set the bar low so we'll be happy with very little, lol.

Can't believe they let their poor cat out to get hurt, again...pets aren't a good idea for everyone and yet, sadly...

Omgosh, yes, so muggy.  It rained a little here last night, yay for the garden that isn't gettting watered manually (that's 90+% of it).  Not enough to take care of the muggies.  I think the AC will be going on here today.  

Speaking of which, tt, is there a neighbor who can help if your fam isn't available?  It's going to be oppressive!

I know, I miss the pic function so much, although, I'd wish I had that breakfast even more than I do now.  If I could only post a few of what I've been doing...a pic is worth 1000 words, as they say, and it would have saved you a lot of reading!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

AC on...not terribly hot in here, but so damp can't breath.  I want to do laundry and I'm afraid without air on to take moisture out things won't really get all the way dry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies and Happy July!

We left the A/C on all night (first time) at 78 and glad we did. Will leave it on today. It is supposed to reach 90 today and tmw. Even too muggy this morning to sit out and share a cup of coffee.

TT, I hope you get that A/C in today. There is not going to be much of a "cool Breeze" the next couple of days. At our age, a heat stroke is easy to get.
    How is your GERD doing, with your new diet? Any improvements?
    Re the fighting cats. Do you have the owner's phone number? I would have called them to come and get their cats as they were keeping me awake. If you wake them up like this enough times, maybe they will get the idea to keep their pets inside.

Nice to see your post,  Princess. Sorry about Peter. Wish he would come back. Not that I have any complaints about the employees up there. The young man, whom I deal with mostly, is very nice and helpful. Too bad, you have to cancel your trip to Maine due to the weather. But you are so right. If the weather turns out as they are predicting, home is better.

Kar, I use the beats raw in our morning juice. When mixed with other things, one can't taste their rawness. When I steam them, I do just like you do. Or lately I have - for the easiness of it - just rinsed them in water, then wrapped them in foil and thrown them in the oven. Nice and sweet and delicious.
    Too bad you didn't get to meet with mezzogirl last night. But to be honest, I just couldn't imagine, how you could make such an appointment, after a long busy "farmer's wife" day. But of course, when you made it, you hadn't become THE farmer yet.

Hat's what are you up to today? Going to the beach? And Winter, if you go for your lunch walk today, make sure you bring plenty of water with you.

I have one load of laundry to fold and another one in the dryer. After that I will go to the office to take care of the last few things, before we leave Thursday. Tmw. I want to stay at home to pack and take care of the house.

Have a good day, and stay cool.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, if only DH liked the beets roasted...he's not a fan of any roasted veggie, likes them all steamed.  Oh, well...fine with me, it's all still good.  I've never known anyone to not like roasted vegetables; maybe his mom never did it that way; it's all what you get used to in your formative years, I think.

indeed, I did have lots of plans before I knew what I was really in for. 

Speaking of which, I weighed this mornings haul, and I got 20 lbs of berries.  That brings the total picked this year so far, wait for it, 60 lbs!!!  I've got to get at least 20 lbs hulled today and in the freezer or it will be for naught.

i should have run the AC, too, last night.  So hot and muggy this morning, I don't know how I slept...good thing I did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just came back in - was in a/c buildings this morning tho.  Left windows with breeze coming in open, and the house isn't too bad.  No trouble at all sleeping last night - again, great breezes coming in both b.r. windows.

Got to check my book and see what's up for lunch today.  Maybe I'll make a fresh fruit salad, nice and cool.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

- if only DH liked the beets roasted -

Kar, they don't taste roasted at all. Wrapped in foil they are just "steaming" in the water, that stick to them after rinsing. You can even sprinkle some more water on the foil before you wrap them. I bet you, if you roast them this way, w/o DH knowing, he couldn't tell the difference.

60 lbs. of berries? WOW! That is more, than there is on display in the grocery stores. And I am sure there are lots more to come. Do you really eat that many strawberries yourself? 60 lbs. - that would be 1/2 lbs of berries for each of you for the next two months. Not to forget all the other berries, you will be harvesting in the meantime. LOL

- Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you are keeping comfy, tt...worried about you in this heat.  Car just reported 86, and I have to imagine the humidity is over 75%!

Yep, I've stepped on the scale holding them so I'm sure of the weight as unbelievable as it sounds.  I did spend 3 hours this morning picking them as fast as I could.  Last year we got about 100 lbs total, and we ate about 1/2, mostly as strawberry shortcake.  This year is the first time I've made jam; I'm happy we won't have to buy it at TJ's...I'm pretty sure we don't eat 16 pints of it a year, but it's here.

I gave 2 qts to my friend I had lunch with last Saturday, and today my neighbor is coming over around 4 to take whatever he and his young adult daughter can eat before they go on vacation Friday.  A few qts, prob.

Just got back from indulging in nearly a full pound of the most excellent whole fried clams I think I've ever had.  Yes, 15 oz, they measure, and I asked so I can enter it accurately.  I've been burning about 3000 a day and not eating much so I can afford it.  That's one good thing about all this hard work - I can eat when I want to whatever I want!

Now, seriously, I'm in a food coma and going to take a nap.  Zzzzzzzzzzz...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT! I was in a store this morning that was selling bowls made out of folded magazine pages - 2" in diameter at the top, less than that in height - 12.95 plus tax!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm still having a comfortable breeze in the windows, and have the floor fan right in front of me as I read.  Quite comfortable.  Did give a call to my in town son who said he hadn't even thought of it - - "how could you not have thought of it when you were putting your own a/c/s in, and wonder, I wonder if Ma's got her a/c in?  Put me on your list."  So there, the request is in.

Finishing up, I hope, the book I'm currently reading, and then on to another I picked up.  Did a few rows of knitting, but it's really too hot for holding yarn.  Cheerio is situated on a kitchen chair in front of the back door, and raised her head a little when I turned the fan so she could benefit from it also.  Fruit salad for lunch (how could you eat heavy clams on such a hot day as this, Kargiver?), and a few minutes ago my allowed piece of bread and peanut butter.  The rest of my already cooked salmon for supper with steamed spinach and mushrooms.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came in from the heat. It is hot, but not so humid yet. y car said 89. Had to run to Home Depot. Our pots on the deck need to be watered twice a day in this heat, so DH decided this morning to install a temporary drip irrigation system for them, before we go. So I went to get the kit and the clock for it. He and DS installed it last year in DS's yard. Very easy to hook up.

Kar, your nap is definitely well deserved - food coma or no food coma. What's on the farmer's agenda this afternoon? Or will she turn into a housewife, cleaning the house, before DH comes home? At lest with the A?C on it will be a nice cool job.

How are you doing, tt? Did you make that call yet to your son. I am worried about you in this heat. What did you make for lunch? I just finished a Greek yogurt and a peach - that was all I felt like eating in this heat. I think a large salad with shrimps and a hardboiled egg will do it tonight. A fruit salad sounds good too. Can't tthink of cooking and heating the kitchen up tonight.

Back to work.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt - we posted at the same time. Glad your A/C installation is in motion. At least in the thoughts. Hope he comes before the day is over.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

TT! I was in a store this morning that was selling bowls made out of folded magazine pages - 2" in diameter at the top, less than that in height - 12.95 plus tax!

Are you kidding me?  I'm not an entreperneur (must get a  better dictionary that has more words!), but nice to know they are valued by some.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

tt - we posted at the same time. Glad your A/C installation is in motion. At least in the thoughts. Hope he comes before the day is over.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

No, it won't be today, he leave for work days around 1:30.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I would love to see those bowls, Hats, to compare.  Were they glazed with shiny mod podge?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

$12.95 for such a tiny bowl? tt, you better get going on those bowls, so you can have a nice stash by the time the Christmas Fairs start. Imagine how much you could splurge on Christmas presents for your family. All from scrap paper --- and of course your labor.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes they were!  I took a picture so if we ever get that back...

I would love to see those bowls, Hats, to compare.  Were they glazed with shiny mod podge?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, Pingo, you reminded me that I've neglected to share I've beeeen cleaning the house, too.  No need to scurry and clean, now.  Thank goodness because the neighbor is due any second for the berries.

I slept for 1.5 hours, and Gracie woke me up at 3 on the dot, exactly her dinner time.  How does she do that?  Good thing she did; I may have slept the rest of the day.

tt, no problem with the heavy meal; I've been in AC most of the day except when I was picking the berries.

...door bell

Sat on this 30 minutes; that was the neighbor.  He munched on about a qt of berries while we chatted, lol, and happily took another 5 lbs.  Yahoo!  

...oh, and another 2 min while I texted back to DH.  He's at sea getting shots of the glaciers. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Welcome to July friends!! Hard to believe the 4th is only a few days away.  We'll be heading up to the lake (I'll wave at the Half Moon for you, tt).  But for today - yikes is it hot out!  Glad to be in the office, although it was such a nice weekend full of outdoor activities in the sun.  I need to come up with some easy and cool summer dinner recipes.  Tonight will be either pancakes or BLTs.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Novem - - - - enjoy you week-end.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have fun, Nov!  BLTs sound good...I'm a sucker for bacon.  

I'm actually hungry for dinner after all those clams for lunch, can you believe that?  Making up for 2 very light days, I guess.  Might cook the sirloin steak I was planning on having tomorrow.  Last night I had a pan seared then braised chicken breast with Marsala pan sauce...at 9 pm.

Thankfully, had a lighter day today; no matter what, tho, I had to have that nap.  I was cruising for a migraine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you are eating like a truck driver (whatever they eat??) LOL. But of course, you have also worked like one. You must be so relieved, that you could cut down on the watering.

Re watering. I was so piiissed last night. The painters borrowed my special light hose. And guess what, instead of removing the sprayer, they had just cut it off. Imagine that? So now I have a useless hose. And DH paid them in full already.

I had to stop at S&S on my way home. Had run out completely of Kleenex, both at home and at the office. I was moving a tissue paper roll along with me.

Picked up half a watermelon. Will have some for dessert.

Still hot out, but the wind has picked up. Hope it will be enough to make you comfortable tonight, tt,  and that that son of yours will stop by tmw. after work and install the A/C.

Have a good evening everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Sections
Shortcuts