July 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: July 2014

Winter, you dare devil!  OMG, I am such a scaredy cat, wouldn't do half those things.  I'd be the lump on the log sitting on the beach!  Sounds like a great cruise you've booked.

My big adventure for the day is I just got an email from C.L. inviting me down this afternoon for blueberry muffins OR cream cheese brownies (Oh!).  I'll have to pass on the brownies, especially since I stopped one of the Protonix last night and want to see if I can get away with just the morning one.  Nothing to upset the apple cart today, but I don't think a blueberry muffin would do much damage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hi ladies,

Had a great overnight this past weekend. We got a little carried away on Sat and biked 25 miles.  Fortunately the trail was flat for the most part, and the scenery was beautiful. We found a bit more mountainous trail on Sunday, that was very rainforest-y. It was gorgeous, but cold [it was in the high 50s there - wish I hadn't just brought shorts to bike in!], and I was beat from the day before. Good thing it's only 2 hours away, so we can easily go back for another overnight to check it out again.  Lots of raspberries along the trail, so DH was excited.  It got cooler here over the weekend and it barely got over 75 yesterday.  Beautifully sunny dry weather though.  It's supposed to warm up as the week goes on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats, funny he's never had to do that essay, but he'll certaintly have a lot to talk about with his friends. We get back the day before Labor Day and school starts the day after Labor Day. tt, both of those treats sound lovely at CL's later. Swimming the dolphins is nothin really, they are such sweet animals. We zip-line over the rain forest and that should be really cool. Alf, your trip sounds nice and I would have have loved picking the raspberries.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Sunny, dry, 75?  Perfect!  Glad you had a good time - hope you can still walk - what a healthy weekend! 

Nothing like found food to me - I was eating baby peas off a vine on Sun even though they were not really big enough.  Saw some blueberries but they weren't ripe enough even for me.  Day lily buds are a delicacy, too, but they should be from a place without pesticides...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"We zip-line over the rain forest"

What if a monkey grabs your leg???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sunny, dry, 75?  Perfect!  Glad you had a good time - hope you can still walk - what a healthy weekend! 

[/QUOTE]

Sitting is the real problem, not walking! :-)  lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh Alf, I know what you mean!  In the old days, bicycle seats were wide and cradled one's bum.  Now, they are guaranteed to hurt.  There's not enough gel in the world to make those triangular, wedgie-shaped monstrosities comfortable!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, 25 miles?!  You guys rock!  And if you ever have to leave that climate you'll be so spoiled...omgosh, lol.

tt, have fun with CL.  Does your GERD book say anything about white flour?  Not sure I'd agree that a muffin will keep the apple cart upright, but don't want to be a negative nelly.  Best with going down to one Protonix, I hope it does the trick!

We estimate that we walk 5 miles with Gracie since friend's pedometer counted over 12,000 steps.  I'm glad I can walk straight, again.  She's coming over tomorrow to get her first kefir batch.  She's in her mid-50s and has made many proactive changes and lost 70 lbs in the last couple of years. Gut health is next on her list to gain control of.  My folks and trips family are going strong with it...hoping she finds it as easy and beneficial as we do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I see everyone is side-stepping my question about a monkey grabbing your leg on the way ziplining across the rain forest - - I was only kidding - - gave myself an out loud chuckle at the picture that drew in my mind!

Yes, Kargiver, it does advocate staying away from white flour, any processed foods.  But, you know, I can't stick entirely to what they advocate.  I've had the gelato which certainly isn't an allowed food either. and for the sake of friendship offered, will have one of her home made blueberry muffins with my cup of "hot water".  that's as much of a concession I can muster today.

Got to get ready and get out now so I'll be done running around at noon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, thanks for the chuckle, that's the same question DS asked me! DH told him he'd be safe because he was smaller..lol. Kar I use an app called Walkmeter and it logs my miles and calories burned. If I had an iPhone 5 it would count my steps. It also maps out my route and tells me what my fastest time was, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I wouldn't have mentioned it except that you said you wanted to test taking less medication and assumed the muffin would be ok; making sure you were making a fully informed decision was my only intent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

tt, I wouldn't have mentioned it except that you said you wanted to test taking less medication and assumed the muffin would be ok; making sure you were making a fully informed decision was my only intent.

Discretion is the better part of valor.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I realize that's why you posted the question, Kargiver.  Truthfully, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference, with the exception of chocolate or caffeine in coffee/tea, what I eat as far as what my nighttime experience is.  Days when I have completely gone off it, I have had no problem.  With me, I think mostly it is the lying down position, and being able to stay up long enough after supper (as last night, 10:30) to allow the food to have already digested, partway anyway.  Doctors are quick to give meds to solve the problem, but I know prolonged usage of Protonix as with the other gerd meds, can result in fractures, particularly hip fractures.  So I do what I can, each day as it presents itself, for that day.  Some days I do better than others, but I'll be the one to have to answer in the end. - Chat later, I'm out of here now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like you are getting a handle on what works for you, and I'm glad you are seeking non-drug solutions where possible because I agree that the long term side effects can often be worse than the original problem.

Have a great rest of the day - the muggies are already here, tho, at least in the Quabbin area.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

A monkey? I would be more worried about a cobra snaking it's way down the hangers. You have certainly picked some great excursions, Winter. Some you couldn't do on your own. Can't wait to hear all about your cruise, when you get back. Darn that dead photo option.

Pumpkin will love the bag you made for him, tt. At that age they don't need any fancy objects to make them happy. Hope your test, w/ just take one tab/day will work out for you. Have fun at the CL's. But hot water? Can't you have some herb tea? There are lots of tea's on the market w/o caffeine and acid. Nice you have found a friendly neighbor to get together with once in a while.

Alf, it sounds like you and hubby had a great weekend. I don't exactly know, where you are on the West Coast, but all those fires made me think of you. Hope you are not near any of them. I just can't imagine, how devastating it is to see your home burn down to ashes. Nature is nature, but it make us humans so helpless at times. We can send a man to the moon, but we cannot control those devastating fires.

What is ready to be harvested in your garden these days, Kar? Are the strawberries all done? Do you plant new strawberry plants every 3 years? I remember my dad used to do that. He took the baby plants and rotated them every 3 years. Maybe w/ the new generations and mutations, you don't have to do that.

All is well in Pingo, Inc. The software is up and running, as if nothing had happened. And it is actually running a lot faster. Worked late last night to do some catching up. Still have a lot more to go, but it is working, so I just have to spend some time. But what a headache that was. I was just sitting there helplessly looking at the screen. I don't know, how DS did it, and I may not want to know. But the matter of the fact is, he fixed it, and I am truly grateful for that.

Being happy trying to catch up, my portable keyboard decided not to work. Battery changes etc. - no go. I finally had to borrow a keyboard form one of our other workspaces. But what a day. Now I am waiting for the third "disaster" - they say they come in 3. LOL

I am off to work. Are we in for the muggies? It wasn't too bad this morning. Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, so glad DS fixed that software problem; how aggravating that was!  Any more chat about retirement?

The zucchini and summer squash is coming well, now.  The snow peas are kaput, sadly, although, they produced gallons of peas so I shouldn't complain!  The Swiss chard can be harvested, again, and we are eating a lot of parsley.  Soon, the 100 lbs or so of tomatoes will be turning red.  The strawberries have been done for a couple of weeks.  DH takes care of the growing and planting schedules; I'm blissfully unaware of that side of things.

Well, it's humid out here...maybe not out East yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Good morning everyone

Winter, I am so jealous of your cruise and excursions.  They all sound awesome.  I would be most excited for zip lining too.  TT, I think shewill be going too fast for a monkey to jump on her, but that is cute to imagine! I think you picked a really nice mix of activities - one day in the water, one day doing an exciting/scary adventure and a day to relax in a luxurious setting.  So fun.  

TT, sounds like you have achieved a nice balance of the Protonix and diet to control your reflux type issues.  Its hard to stay up late enough to digest your food but that's probably your best bet to eat light as the day goes on, at least that is waht works for my DH. He can't eat anything much after 8:00 pm (and typically goes to bed at 11:30 p.m.).  If he gets hungry he drinks milk to tide him over.  I think you have a great attitude about all of the dietary changes - it's very difficult to go 100% at one type of diet and if you did you would have to give up lots of social opportunities to stick with your diet.  I think your approach is the best way. Moderation is key for everything.  Good luck and enjoy the muffin today!

Pingo, glad the software is fixed and your back in action.  Our office had its system go down last week and it was completely crippling to us.  We are so dependent on technology these days.

Alf, your bike ride sounds awesome, but I can only imagine how your bum is doing.  Do you have biker shorts with padding? Those are pretty helpful but nothing is 100% soothing.  It will probably take a few days for the soreness to go away - just in time for another weekend excursion :)

AFM, we have 1.5 weeks until we close on the new house and 2.5 weeks until we move.  Woo hoo! Starting to get excited about the new place, although it will be hard because there are a lot of house projects to do and things we will need to buy and we will be pretty tapped out for awhile. Patience is key!  But I am looking forward to meeting the neighbors and settling the kids in one place.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm pro moderation and not being 100% perfect on any restrictive diet, again, for the record.  Moderation is great, but isolating variables is key to interpreting the results of any experiment.

2.5 weeks, wow, Rama, exciting!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Goodness, I fixed the spacing issue in the last post that I posted about subsequently so I reported myself to remove the now non-sensical post figuring it would just disappear...sigh, now it looks like something scandalous was reported and removed, lol!!

Well, anyway, I took the opportunity to ask about the pic function and where Dottie has been in the report comment box.  I wonder if anything will come of those questions...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Be careful, you don't want to start sounding like "you know who".  No need to explain yourself, we all know you well enough to understand where you are coming from.

Would you believe I didn't hook up with the pumpkin?  I'm bummed out and then some.  Giving her a call now and see if I can catch them at some point today.  I've got to stop doing these things, I set myself up when they don't pan out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ha, no, I don't.  Seems a "moderation is great" comment gets posted whenever I say anything aimed at isolating experimental variables, but point taken, thanks!

What happened?!  That's so disappointing, I'm sorry, tt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't know what happened.  Once of two things, either that she had to see a client, or that one of the boys were sick.  I left messages on her phone and email.  Usually she emails if we're not going to be able to hook up.

I'll go eat my fruit salad plate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Kar, I hope you didn't think my moderation comment was at all related to you and your comment above to tt.  it wasn't.  I fully understand and agree with what you are saying about how it makes sense to be 100% strict during a period of experimentation to figure out whether or not certain foods are causing problems.  My comment was not at all in response to that.  I think tt has completed her experiment phase and is now just on to a general lifestyle phase of trying to eliminate the most offending foods (ie coffee and chocolate) but still enjoying a treat now and then. My comment was just to tell tt I think she is handling her situation very well. My DH has a similar issue and i know from watching him that it is a hard struggle to balance enjoying a treat now and again with being disciplined.  If tt were still in her experimental phase, then of course it would make sense not to eat something that has the forbidden ingredients in it or else it would skew the results of the experiment.

Speaking of food, I forgot my lunch today... I always bring lunch and I packed a PBnJ this morning and fruit and left it in my lunchbag on the counter.  Oops.  Trying to decide whether to go downstairs to the cafeteria and buy a lunch which I believe will be fair quality but cheap and quick or to treat myself to a sandwich/salad at a local restaurant a few blocks away which will be excellent quality, a nice treat, but more expensive and take longer.... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

If you have the time, I'd vote for the restaurant.  You'll be in a better frame of mind all afternoon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I did, lol, Rama, but I'm extra sensitive about seeming judgy-judgy regarding food issues and I'm PMSing which leads to all sorts of ruminating and such, sigh; I try to control it, but alas.  Thanks for understanding!

I second the vote for going out to eat, it's providential for having left your lunch. :)

ETA: speaking of treats and going out to eat, I'm getting fried clams...what a craving I have!  And, DH is eating very light to undo the cruise damage so I inadvertently am doing the same for dinners.

ETA2: tt, just saw your DIL post - I wish I could pick you up and go out!  We'd have laughs and forget for a time about missing Pumpkin. :)