July 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: July 2014

Yes, Winter, I did.  I loved it and have such fond memories.  There were always teachers, coaches, etc. around when we were there.  It was never like we there alone at 9 PM, LOL.  Probably true that a lot has changed in the wake of all the security concerns at schools now though.  It was just a thought.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Out all day, finishing up with that "click"  "click click"  "click" eye test.  So that's done and over with for another year.

Catching up on the postings about kids and after school.  Mine walked both to and from high school, our local one, we were a one car family and my husband had that for work.  I wouldn't even begin to tell you how many miles I walked to and from my high school, most of it on the railroad tracks to have a short cut.  I know times are different, but I wonder how many perverts there were around in my time too.  Winter, I realize that's not what you're talking about with your son, he will be going to a school out of your town, but just saying, when I read these posts it brought back mind pictures of other high school walks.

Trash has been put to the curb, but Cheerio not fed yet, nor me, so will close off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ha, I liked your description of the eye test - perfect.  Yes, I remember walking to school alone in kindergarten, BUT I also remember the safe haven program (it was 1977) where "safe" homes you could dash into in case of "stranger danger" were marked with a cut out of a hand from the police station so it had to have been at least somewhat dangerous then, too.

Cooking dinner, got to get back to it, stuffed jalepenos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh my word, these jalapeños are ATOMIC HOT.  The pain is unbearable.  I've prepared them exactly the same as last year, but these are just nearly inedible.  I'm going to have to give up on this crop for stuffed peppers and find a lesser role for them to play in future dishes.  Omgosh, I'm a fire breathing dragon.

Hoping everyone else is enjoying dinner more than being tortured by it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Novem, that's great that you loved it. It's his first choice, I think because of the drama club. :) I heard that they may have a bus that picks kids up in towns, so that's something to look into as well. Hopefully he should be playing soceer (fall) and basketball (winter), so will look into many options. Has your DS started high school yet or is it this September? tt, I walked to and from my local high school as well. I had a pretty easy walk. Kar, sorry the peppers are too hot to stuff. Maybe make a spread that could go on sandwiches? And with that thought, I'd like a container please. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Oooooh, Winter, what a great idea, and, of course, better yet, come over and share a sandwich with the spread.  I'm also thinking of hot pickled peppers to go with said sandwiches.

tt, how's the forecast for Kittery?  Scattered t-storms, maybe...I hope it works out w/cousin

...gotta cut short, DH leaving later than usual today

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  Winter, I'm sure things will work out with DS.  I know Arlington has good public transportation, but I don't know if it cold get him to where you live in a reasonable time.

I am lucky with my office we have a parking garage, which is great.  My company just bought the building next door and moved about 300 employees over there (we have about 2,700 employees total).  They are not happy because they can no longer park in the garage.  It is so nice in the winter, Wnter (lol). 

Had the day off yesterday.  I am currently only working 4 days/week (Weds off) through October.  Yesterday was my first day of it and it was so good to get a break in the middle of the week.  So fun to be home with my pups too!

Have a great day everyone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Nice to hear from you Princess. Good that you are working 4 days a week, nice to have a break in the middle. Arlington does have good transportation, but my town does not. Hope you are doing good health wise.

- Darth Vadar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Prin!  Three day weekends are nice, but Wednesdays off were my favorite; it made it feel like the work week was only 2 days long.  Yes, hoping your health is holding/improving.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt must be enjoying a trip to Kittery by now - hope you're out there getting great deals and having fun!  Good little seafood places up there...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,

What a gorgeous morning. Sat too long on the deck chatting over a cup of coffee, so DH is running late. He just left, which is really, really late for him.

Good to see a post from you, princess. Nice to just have a 4 days work week. Especially in the summer. How is your health? Hope you don't get moved, so you can keep your parking. No Peter sightings yet. But his name is still at the window, so we all hope to see him back soon.

Winter, that sounds good w/ a bus picking up the children. But now the headache would be to get DS to where this bus stops. High school is a big change for everyone in the family. But don't worry about it now, you have time. How may days to the cruise?

tt, is Kittery still on the agenda for today? It is really nice and cool out. A perfect day to go there, as long as it doesn't rain. My radar is "down for maintenance", so I haven't been able to see the outlook for today. I know, the weatherman said scattered showers.

Funny, Kar, (actually not) we found the store bought jalopenos to be extra hot this year as well. I stuffed them for company, and they couldn't eat them. Do you remove the seeds and the membranes? There is not much else one can do. There are lots of "suggestions" on the net, how to soak them in alcohol etc. But much too time consuming, and it may not always work. One idea is, that more water makes the peppers hotter. More water creates more fungi, and the capsein (sp?) is what kills fungus. So the peppers make more. To their advantage; not ours.
    I know, even one jalopeno will make your hummus or spread too hot sometimes. So what is one to do with a whole load of peppers? Make hot sauce. Hot sauce, you can use all year. There are plenty of recipes on the net, for doing just that. I did it one year, when I had more hot peppers, than I could possible use. Friends were more than happy getting a home made hot sauce as a hostess gift. Since then, I decided not to grow them. If you do go that route, make sure you use heavy gloves and goggles. LOL

DH  gave me a few errands to do today. Picking up a sign for a new tenant is one of them. Have to find the place first. Then he is out of shampoo, and I am out of Aloe, so I have to go to TJ's to get that, then come home and make his shampoo. I worked late last night, so I don't feel guilty to skip the office today.

PP turned 6 months yesterday. Can't believe, how the time fled by. Her B-day "cake" was sweet potatoes. She is getting a handful now. She decided, she doesn't want to sit in her chair any more, so feeding her solid food has become a "problem". Memories, memories. Do you new parents think, you were any different? Can't wait to get there next week.

Have a great day everyone, whatever your agenda is.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Six months old already, Pingo??  She was just born, it seems.  They change so much at this age; you must be chomping at the bit to see her, again.

Wow, thanks for explaining! That is very interesting about the mold connection to the heat of peppers, I can't wait to tell DH.  We thought we got genetically hotter ones.  Yes, I'm careful to remove all the ribs and seeds knowing they get coated with the "cap" hot oil that I don't know how to spell, either. :)  We were relieved we didn't make them for my parents or, like your guests, they would not have been able to eat them.  We took our time with dinner, eating one and letting things cool off before the next bout of pain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We leave for New Orleans in 23 days, cruise sets sail in 24. DS and I have been to NOLA before, so I'm mapping out what we are going to do so DH can enjoy the sites. We are actually going to get a car service. There was a good deal on Living Social, would be $124 round trip. To park it in a lot for 8 days was $90. We usually leave it in someone we knows driveway, but our flight leaves early and we don't want to distrub them. DS will think it's cool that a car is picking us up.

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very cool, Winter - 3 more weeks, can you even stand it?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, that info came in just the right time. Thanks, Winter. Will definitely check it out. We are looking into something like that. We usually park at Preflight, but this time is it too long a time to want to leave our car there, even though we have collected so many free days. We will be leaving so early in the morning, that we don't want to ask anyone for a ride - even though we are owed a lot of rides. Will take advantage of them, when we get back at a much more decent time.

Kargiver, re the hot peppers. This is just one theory form where my DH grew up. My MIL used to agonize, when they had a drought. When the Monsoon came late, "my peppers will not be hot this year". Other years, she would be so excited. Early Monsoon, lots of hot peppers.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I understand re the peppers, but it makes total sense to me - we saved seeds from last year's crop which was mild so we expected them to be exactly the same, and they are 10 times hotter.  So, I guess we can't really know for sure, but I like that theory!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, Kar - those old fashion theories makes a lot of sense. To our older generations, science was not as complex as they want to make it today. When the peppers started to get less and less, my MIL would make a simple concoction of ground up hot peppers, ginger and lemon, which she would keep in her refrigerator and use  for her cooking for the rest of the year.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo here is the link or you can cut and paste. We do have to pay more because we need to be at the airport eary for a 6 a.m. flight.

http://local.amazon.com/boston-north/B00LCCGBG2?src=email&cid=em_dd_018_101_na_s1_&ref_=pe_628140_121550730_rd_sh_fd

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I was able to click right on that address and get to the page.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I there is a T bus line from Burlington to Arlington, so Winter, you and DS work on getting him into AC, and the rest of us will figure out how to get him there!

My DS has a year of HS under his belt now, and starts 10th grade in the fall.  He also turns 16 this fall, and is rearing to go to get his permit.  He is also scrimping and saving every penny for a car.  Yikes!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Novem. Eeks on the driving DS.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out soon, but wantied to wish everyone a good night. tt, hope you had a great time in Kittery.

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good night, Winter...not walking Gracie yet. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

More stuffed zucchini, boring, huh?  I'm making ricotta right now, and to hurry it up I set a pint canning jar full of water on top of the strainer, and it just dumped all over. Happily, it didn't get in the cheese.

tt, can't wait to hear about your adventures!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Didn't turn on the boards at all yesterday.  We had a full day and a fun one.  Each picked up a couple of things and then had lunch at what used to be Bosn's Landing.  Two years ago the owner died and the property was sold and has been completely renovated inside and out, updated and brightened up so much inside with light colored wood.  It's a beautiful spot to begin with.  For lunch I had lobster bisque and a separate order of sweet potato fries.  Both were delicious.  Service people were nice and the owner came around to speak to each table.  Worth the drive just for the lunch.  As we were finishing up our poking in the stores, the sky was getting an ominous black, and around 3:30 we decided to head for home.  Never saw a rain drop in our travels.

There were changes up there in the stores.  Totes is gone, and the shops, including Danskin, that used to set in back of the last shopping area on your right heading back, has now been converted into a Nursing School.  We didn't look around each individual little mall, just went to the ones holding the stores we were interested in, so not sure what else - Talbot's is up there now.

Sorry your hot peppers turned out a little toooo hot, Kargiver.  Strange how this year's crop from last year's seeds could be so different.  But then, I'm not a farmer.

See that you have decided on a car service to and from the airport, Winter.  My son has used that method for several years now, so much easier and he says worth the extra money.  I don't know the exact service he uses.

Princess, sounds like the perfect work week to me with Wednesday's off.  Gives you a little break.

Slept only a few hours last night, had just fallen asleep with cars/teens at the end of the street, woke me up and then it took hours for me to fall back again and then fitfully.  I think I was over tired from the driving, more than I usually do.  Thought to myself I could never do what we used to - up to Weirs, and then in and out driving every day.  That's not my type of vacation any more.

OK, off for breakfast.  Last day of the week for your working people.  Doesn't look like a promising week-end tho.  Chat later.