July chats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

July chats

I guess I can start the July thread if there are no objections. I had a miserable night last night, indigestion or heartburn, or whatever you want to call it. I took and antacid, but it didn't work too well. That was aboaut 1:30. FInally about 4:30 my wife got up, got me some cranberry juice and I went to sleep until about 7:30. As you may know, normally we both go to LA Fitness every morning to work out, she on her weights in me in the pool, so she has gone without me. And on the first Wednesday of every month, it is Seniors day at Fry's Supermarket, 10% off everything and free coffee. Well we usually shop together (not my most favorite activity either, but I do it to keep her company) but since she goes there on the way home from her workout, she will be doing it alone today.  Here it is almost 8 and I am just having a cup of coffee.

Each month we put a new picture on our desktop(computer). I found a picture of fireworks over the Charles and have that up there now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: July chats

Good morning, Ken

Are you sure it was only indigestion?  You know your own medical problems and whether or not indigestion is something you deal with now and then.  Be careful, heart problems often mask themselves as just a case of indigestion.  Are you due for a checkup with the doctor?  If it happens again, having him look you over wouldn't be a bad idea.  We just got one Chatter back on board, we don't want to lose another.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi ken

tt is right - keep a check on that indigestion.  Did you have something to eat that was heavier or spicier then normal.   I always try and keep baking soda on hand.  I know that's not the ideal antacid but it works faster and better then most I've tried.   

Relax, enjoy the day and hope you feel better soon.

putt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I am loving this rainy day.  A little thunder, a little rain shower, perfect day for me.  I've been washing down the woodwork around the doorways, and stopped for a cuppa when a friend of my son's who was in the neighborhood called and then stopped in for a nice visit.  I've invited her to come Sunday when the son she went to school with is coming down.  It will be a fun day.  She's such a nice person and hasn't changed over the years.  We're both cat lovers, she has two.  Cheerio impressed her by dragging out her old knitted square, and the new catnip mouse (looks more like a chipmunk) I bought her.

Just had a little flash of lightning outside this window, so perhaps I should get off the computer for now.  Thawed out a piece of quiche for supper and will make a little salad to go along with.  Hope you all are in a place able to enjoy the day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Putt & TT
    Ya, I am pretty sure it's indigestion. I probably don't chew my food enough. My heart is en excellent shape, and the Dr has told me so. ANd that is because I have never stopped regular exercise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh my gosh - here on the North Shore, thunder, lightning, downpours.  Just got my trash out in time, and now every time I go in to take a shower there's more lightning, just when I think it's let up. 

Don't mind another rainy day, but I had planned to do my grocery shopping for the week-end this morning.  Trying some new recipes for Sunday lunch - a Greek lemon soup (friend that stopped in yesterday loves that), an herb basting sauce for baked chicken breasts, and a brown rice, mushroom pilaf that has chopped walnuts in it. I'll accompany it with cole slaw, and dessert will be layers of Hood's low fat frozen vanilla yogurt, blueberries, yogurt, and raspberries.  Baking another batch of peanut butter cookies too, to send home with guests, since they all do as I do, freeze them and pull them out a couple at a time as the craving arises!  Doesn't look as tho I'll be getting out any time soon.  Maybe I'll just do a fast wash up, get dressed, and get some things done around the house this morning and plan to shopping this afternoon.  Hope you're all in somewhere safe out of the flash flooding they are predicting on some major roads.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Here in Phoenix there is a 30% chance of thunderstorms today. OOO I hope they are RIGHT.....but I doubt it. Same thing forecasted yesterday, and we got Zip

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: July chats:
    [QUOTE]Here in Phoenix there is a 30% chance of thunderstorms today. OOO I hope they are RIGHT.....but I doubt it. Same thing forecasted yesterday, and we got Zip
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you and I are at opposite weather extremes, Ken.  We'd like a little of your sun and warm temps, and you'd like a little (or a lot) of our rain!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hopefully this rain will be done in time for the weekend.  I really is a downer.  I am happy to be going back to work on Monday!  I am going to start off part time for a couple of weeks and then go back to full time.  It will be so nice to get back into the swing of things. 

Don't really have many plans for the weekend.  I'm sure we'll find something to keep us busy though.  Stay dry everyone . . well, except for you Ken!  We'd be happy to send some of this rain your way!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So glad to hear you've got the dr.'s OK to go back to work, even part time, Princess.  You've had a long haul of it.

I took advantage of the 1 hr. let up in the rain and ran up and got my groceries bought and in the house.  Just made it back in as it started again.  It's really pouring here right now.  Nice to be snug and secure inside.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi tt

Can you believe this rain - was inside with my exercise class and it was pounding on the roof.  I keep checking different rooms here in the house to make sure there are no leaks!  I used to look forward to a rainy day to curl up and read or watch movies but this is too much.

Your lunch menu for Sunday is making me drool..you come up with the best ideas. 

If the weather turns better tomorrow I've been invited to take a boat ride with my son in law's family.  Would be so nice but I'm afraid to get my hopes up. 

putt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Putt,

Maybe you'll luck out tomorrow and be able to take that boat ride.  We sure are due for some sun.

My soup turned out to be cabbage, carrot, onion, chicken in chicken stock with canned tomatoes added.  It was delicious.  Probably have enough left for a small bowl for tomorrow's lunch after I get back from the doctor.  Have to  have a biopsy on the same spot on my nose where I had the previous basal cell.  Looks like the same thing to me. 

Watching the news tonight of people getting the Hatch Shell ready, makes me wonder what kind of a soggy mess people will be in there for the 4th celebration.  Muck, muck, muck.

All this rain did bring one happy sight in my backyard, tho.  Looking out the slider this afternoon I spied a frog perched on the side of my little pool!  I couldn't believe my eyes, had to go get the spy glasses to be sure!  First one I've spotted this summer.  He's probably like the rest of us, looking for some sun to warm up in!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

TT

send the frog to me,,,He'll love it...of course after he suns himself, I don't know where we could put himCool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi tt, sorry to hear you have to go back for another biopsy. But do check that nasty thing - never know to where it will lead. They didn' t suggest to have it removed all together? Quite surprised! If you need a plastic surgeon, I have the best ever. He stayed vigil with me through my latest ordeal.
    Young son came home last night - and I did managed to make his tacos. It is something I like to do, when someone is arriving from where ever. Can be made ahead of time - one never know what kind of delays the airlines give you. Good thing. He was supposed to arrive @ 7:00 pm - didn' t come until 9:15 pm - due to the weather pattern. Not only here in Boston, but all over.
    The sun is out - hope Mr. Frog will have a chance to warm up. I know, I am in the minority, but I truly don't mind this weather - as long as I have my trusty old umbrella with me. Just hate the heat and the humidity. I turn limp and grouchy, when the temp gets over 75.
    My tomatoes are not doing too well. Lots of water but no sun. I guess it is the same all over. Friends are complaining too. We reseeded our lawn in some places - and they are doing fantastic. Lush and green. My Mandeville is not doing so well. Loosing lots of leaves. Too much water I guess.  I nursed it throughout the winter, and it s not dead yet - so hopefully, when the weather changes - I will have some flowers. It was a good experience though to save it.
    On a different note. Are you having a cook out for the 4th? Your luncheon sounds delicious. My 4th will be on the TV. No plans. Have rack-o-lamb in the wings. After dinner we will listen to the Esplanade concert - my favorite program of the year. Even though it has changed since they went national. I used to live next to the  church bells, when they still did them alive. I guess, now they are computerized. And that Arthur Fiddler was something special, wasn' t he? When it is televised, I close my eyes and see his mane of white hair in front of me. We used to go and spread out of blanket and have a picnic right there on the lawn. That was before you had to be there at 5 in the morning and you could still bring a bottle of wine. The crowd now a days is to much for me. Would never attempt to go.
    Have a nice weekend, whatever you will be doing. I am still nursing my leg, but it is improving every day. No pain, more like discomfort. Have to keep it elevated, which is a pain. But I should not complain - lots of people suffer a lot more. It has started to itch all over - so I guess that is a good sign that it is on its way to heal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I see in my TV listings that they will show the Boston Fireworks (which I thinks is after the concert) delayed broadcast about 9 Phoenix time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

Just got in - stopped by my son's on the way home from the dr.'s, had a sandwich there and saw the kids enjoying the pool.  They are having a cookout tomorrow, so will share with them some of those peanut butter cookies I've yet to make.  Biopsy is on what we think is a new basal cell - this time instead of the chemo cream he is recommending a Stoneham surgeon and plastic surgeon who specializes in noses, and comes in from Boston, where it is the tip of my nose.  Should have the biopsy results back Thursday, and he and I will talk then.

I think everyone is having problems with their plants, flowers and vegetables this year.  Way too much rain and not enough sun in between to dry things out.  My frog was sitting by the edge of the pool this morning, and I raked off some of the algae that has formed - hoping the sun would get down in there and warm the water up a bit.  He jumped right in, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I see all those little buggy eyed heads peeking up out of the water.

Have to get a go on and start those cookies.  Will try to get some of the things I had planned on leaving until tomorrow to do, done this afternoon too.  Want to do up a batch of brownies also to bring tomorrow.  Learned from their last cookout that that crowd doesn't like deviled eggs, so I'm off the hook for those.

Glad to hear your leg is healing.  How long is your son home for?  I'm sure you'll have a nice holiday week-end with your family around you.  When do you go back to the dr?  Take care of you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Glad you are on the mend.  Don't overdo it tomorrow.  Rack-of-lamb sounds quite ambitious to me.  How nice to have sun today.  Sadly, many of my containers were damaged from the 4:00AM hail storm Thursday morning.  The clap of thunder woke me, followed by what sounded like a bucket of stones being thrown at the side of my house.  I got up and stood by the deck door.  There was hail everywhere and torrents of rain. Many of my blossoms were knocked off and my petunias from QVC are nearly ruined.  Several peppers and eggplants were knocked off their stems.  Oh well.  I'm hoping the sun will bring some of the plants back to life. I read today that there is a vegetable plant blight going around.  Earlier this season, I had a problem with something eating the leaves of my peppers but I sprayed them and the leaves came back.  Whatever this is, it seems to like my morning glories now and the bottom leaves are almost gone. Crazy!

I'm the only one in the office today.  My boss is away along with everybody else.  I don't mind covering on days like this.  It is nice and peaceful! I bet you are enjoying your son's company.

mothermitzi   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Sorry your nose is giving you trouble again. Must be that fair Irish complexion.  My father has the same problem.  Like you, he is very good about sunscreen and wearing a hat, but has to be checked every six months.  Good luck with it. 

I took the easy way out for tomorrow's cookout and stopped at the bakery before I came to work today.  Also picked up a couple bottles of wine.  I don't make deviled eggs anymore either.  Got to the point that my father and I were the only ones eating them.  Hopefully, the weather will hold.  I don't mind cool temps and overcast, but it was getting tired. 

I will walk home tonight.  I love being around the Esplanade this time of year.  So much activity and energy.  In past years, my father and I have gone to the old State House to hear the Declaration of Independence read aloud on the Fourth.  Might consider that before going to the cookout tomorrow.

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi tt
    Sorry to hear about your appointment. Will be thinking of you on Thursday.  Hope all goes well for you -having a surgeon that specializes in the nose makes a lot of sense. Seems to be one thing right after another with all our board friends. 

Never did make it on the boat - it was so cloudy and dreary early this morning we decided to wait for another time.  I had coffee with friends then came home and made two dirt cakes for tomorrow and marinated some sirloin tips.  Also cooked some chicken to have in the house for myself.

Something has me sneezing like crazy and have no idea what it could be.  With all the rain I would think pollen would wash away unless it's mold and mildew.
    How lucky for the kids to have a pool - they have such a good time.  Hope you are planning to bring your bathing suit tomorrow.

The birds in my neighborhood are loving the birdbath - one male robin just fluffs his feathers like you wouldnt believe.  Seeing your frog this morning was a wonderful way to start the day.

Enjoy

putt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi mothermitzi

Good to see your post.  I cannot believe my flowers either.  For a few days last week they came back to life and were beautiful.  Now they are so sad looking.

Wish I were going to sit and listen to Neil - he has always been a favorite of mine. 

Was telling tt I cant stop sneezing and have no idea what's causing it.  Could be all the dampness but would you believe I actually turned my heat on yesterday for a few minutes. 

Have a wonderful weekend.

putt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

I was hoping you'd get your boat ride in.  I almost turned the heat on, too, just to get the dampness out.  I like Neil Diamond, but my days of staking out a spot and plopping down are over.  The concert doesn't interest me anymore either - too many commercials.  However, you know Diamond will perform 'Sweet Caroline,' and the crowd will love it. If I feel like it, I may walk over and see the fireworks. 

I haven't been bothered by sneezing, but I have had an on-again off-again bronchial thing going on, along with a dry cough.  I have a feeling it is allergy related. Truth be told, I have an allergy to cat dander, and although I have built up an immunity to my cats, the allergy does bother me from time to time.  Whatever it is, the weather has not helped. 

Yeah, the damage to my plants bothered me.  This morning, I went out and cleaned up before going to the bakery and work.  I bet we'll have a bumper crop of mosquitos.  Have a great time tomorrow!

mothermitzi  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello Ladies,

Just took the last sheet of cookies out of the oven.  Baking those peanut butter cookies is a full job in itself - it makes such a big batch, and halving it does not really make it worth the bother. The whoopie pies (decided to do those instead of brownies) are baked and waiting to be filled.

Of course, while spending hours in the kitchen, I looked out my window and what did I see?  A snake.  Sort of expected the warm weather would bring out not only my frogs, but any snakes.

It sounds as tho we all have plans one day or another for celebrating the 4th.  That's good.  Holidays should be spent with families or friends.  As I was coming in the door to my son's, my DIL had just called my house and left a message about their cookout tomorrow.  My 5 yr. old granddaughter spied the bandaid on my nose and wanted to know what was the matter.  I told her I had gotten into a fight and someone punched me in the nose.  With a great big smile on her face, she said, "No sir.  You're kidding, right?"  Don't know if she can't picture her grandma getting into a fight, or someone punching me in the nose!

Hear thunder in the distance.  This morning's forecast did say something about late afternoon thunder storms.  Hope tomorrow and Sunday will be nice for all of us.  Have a good week-end everyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning my friends,
    I am sitting here in my gown with my cuppa. The house is sleeping. Young son had a paper due at 3am this morning (want to go to Paris)  - hubby watched Wimbledon (taped) to the wee hours. How I enjoy this morning!!!
    In the past I would have been up with the birds cooking, organizing for our 4th party. 100 + people. I think I like this a lot better. No, I do like this a lot better.
    Most of out dear friends knew, I was not feeling well. - But we still had several friends calling if we were going to have our 4th party. They made my hubby feel bad. "Oh, we just wanted to know, how to spend the day. Wish you had told us earlier!" Ha, earlier? I didn' t plan this infection, mind you. I guess my guest list is getting shorter.
    We are just staying put here. Hubby will watch the Wimbledon, young son will do his packing for the movers, who will be here Monday - and I will be puttering around resting my leg whenever I need to. I still have a lot of discomfort, but now a beautiful new skin is emerging. And it is itching like crazy, which is a good sign. Nature is just amazing.
    Dinner will be rack-o-lamb (mm - it sounds complicated, but it is really not) with a bottle of good red wine (plus Rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted Asparagus and mint jelly). One of my tried and true easy dinners. Then after dinner, we will put on my most favorite televised show of the year. The concert on the Esplanade.
    I understand Neil Diamond is going to perform - one of my favorite performers.
    The sun is out, and I hope it will stay, so you all will have a wonderful 4th - just the way you all planned it.
    Best to you all and love from Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

Just sat down to let my toenails dry.  Have just put a bowl of potato salad in the fridge (decided this morning to make that too) to cool.  Had several calls this morning to wish me a "happy 4th", and usually I would love them, but this morning it just seemed to slow me down.  I'll go over my son's around 12:30.

I often wish I had a back deck or covered patio to sit out on.  Used to use the room off the kitchen to that effect, with the slider open, but since the fox passes within inches of it, no longer open it.  What a beautiful day.  The sky is so blue, hope it keeps up through the rest of the day and evening.

You're having an ambitious meal.  I know you say it's simple and probably it is when you have made it as many times as you have.  I'm  keeping my fingers crossed about the lemon soup in particular for tomorrow.  The other two recipes will work out fine, I'm sure, but I'm a little apprehensive about the soup.  Oh well, I was about the pumpkin soup (remember how I drove everyone crazy wanting the tiniest detail spelled out for me?!), and that turned out fine.  It's all about getting people together anyway - if a dish is a flop that just imprints the get together in people's minds for future laughs.

I thought your son had already moved his belongings to his new place.  Each time it makes it a little harder to see them go, doesn't it?

Enjoy your day and stay off that leg so it can get a good grip on healing.  Talk later.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You are all right, my deck flowers also took an awful beating, while I was gone. I usually go first thing in the morning to "pick them". Will have to wait though. Leg is not cooperating right now for this sort of thing.
    Putt, lots of people have problems right now with molds and sneezing. Hope that is not, what you are experiencing. Molds are dangerous - and hard to get rid of. Please don't take this the easy way.
    Friend just called, that they are on their way back from Maine with their intire broad. (14 peopel - all together) . May stop by for pizza later. There goes my R-O-L dinner. Well, can do that tmw. Hubby invited them before I got sick. I guess, I will just sit in my chair w/ my leg up and let the the things happen as they may.
    Not a big deal for me. Paper plates will do. Not being mean, but I hope they will all leave before concert. They are babies involved, so I am sure they will want to head home.

Sections
Shortcuts