July chats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Re: July chats

tHE LATEST ON MY COMPUTER

They have twice tried to reinstall my OS (Vista) and twice installed a new hard drive, and still it is not operating, so they are sending it back to HP again, for another diagnostic. The local geek is guessing it might be a mother board, but he does not have the equipment locally to determine that. So it looks like another wee or 2 before I have my own computer back. So in the meantime, I have to share, which means my computer time is kept to a minimum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: July chats:
    [QUOTE]I can so relate to that Kar!  I have had Amber turn around if there is snow on the stairs and in the yard.  She will hold it until I shovel!  She went on the back stairs this morning, I have an overhang over them, and ran back in.  I use to think I was the only one who had a dog that did that!  It is so funny as I always assumed dogs didn't care about the weather.  I was very wrong....  : )  They are little stinkers!! In Response to Re: July chats :
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

ambergirl, only one?  I've heard it's quite common, actually.  They get spoiled being mostly house dogs, and then who wouldn't want to avoid cold, wet paws?  Our pup doesn't have the bladder control to wait too long yet.  Maybe by winter she'll be able to hold it 'til we clear a spot. :)

Ken, we're in the same boat.  My mac is dead, and I'm borrowing DH's computer.  At least I don't have to share during the day, though.  Good luck with your recovery effort!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I feel so sorry for you Ken. I am so lucky in a sense, that I have two resident computer "hackers". They can fix anything  - computerwise that is. They can even do it over the net. There is some program they are running - all I have to do is to "accept". Then I see their mouse (not mine) go all over the place. And voila - problem fixed.

[QUOTE]tHE LATEST ON MY COMPUTER They have twice tried to reinstall my OS (Vista) and twice installed a new hard drive, and still it is not operating, so they are sending it back to HP again, for another diagnostic. The local geek is guessing it might be a mother board, but he does not have the equipment locally to determine that. So it looks like another wee or 2 before I have my own computer back. So in the meantime, I have to share, which means my computer time is kept to a minimum.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I hadn't heard but I think it was because I didn't know anyone with a dog.  I was the first in my family to get one.  I think that is why I enjoy reading your posts, old memories : )  Amber wouldn't hold it when she was a puppy.  She would run out and come back in and do her business on the floor.  So I use to go out with her and basically make her go.  She finally figured out I was not allowing her to do it in the house.  With the progress your puppy has made so far, I think you will be all set by then.  My nephew got an American Bullddog 6 months ago and it already weighs 45 lbs!  Crazy to see how much they grow, like yours, in such a short time.  Have a nice weekend!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: July chats : ambergirl, only one?  I've heard it's quite common, actually.  They get spoiled being mostly house dogs, and then who wouldn't want to avoid cold, wet paws?  Our pup doesn't have the bladder control to wait too long yet.  Maybe by winter she'll be able to hold it 'til we clear a spot. :) Ken, we're in the same boat.  My mac is dead, and I'm borrowing DH's computer.  At least I don't have to share during the day, though.  Good luck with your recovery effort!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I hadn't heard but I think it was because I didn't know anyone with a dog.  I was the first in my family to get one.  I think that is why I enjoy reading your posts, old memories : )  Amber wouldn't hold it when she was a puppy.  She would run out and come back in and do her business on the floor.  So I use to go out with her and basically make her go.  She finally figured out I was not allowing her to do it in the house.  With the progress your puppy has made so far, I think you will be all set by then.  My nephew got an American Bullddog 6 months ago and it already weighs 45 lbs!  Crazy to see how much they grow, like yours, in such a short time.  Have a nice weekend! In Response to Re: July chats :
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

It must have been SO hard to train a puppy with no experience and no one to give you advice like you friends have for me.  I do the same thing; I take her out on the leash and give her the command to go and praise her like crazy when she does.  She knows she isn't coming in 'til she does it.  Yesterday's accident happened without my knowledge so we went out for 30 minutes in the pouring rain with my giving her the command to no avail.  Finally, I gave up having figured what had happened.  Came in and discovered the puddle.  No wonder she wouldn't obey out there!  We were soaked and I was ticked, but you're right - she's doing really, really well so we really can't complain.  She just hit the 12 week mark, and professional dog folks have told us it's a magical age for lab pups in the housebreaking department; it's like a switch is thrown and suddenly they just get it if you've been working with them awhile before that.  So, let's hear it for the switch and hope it holds true for our little girl! :)

Thanks, again, for all the support.  Hate to have hijacked the CC board, though.  Let's go back to the thread in pets.  I'll post an update over there.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Kar,
    You haven't hi-jacked anything. This is what this Chat thread is for - chatting about anything that comes to our mind. tt and mm chat about their cats, you about your puppy - and I enjoy reading all your stories.
    One thing about the "puppy accident" though. If you haven't heard already, you may want to scrub that "puddle place" really well - or she will have a mark that she is allowed to "go" there. There is something on the market, that will neutralize the odor. Unfortunately, I forgot the name, but I am sure you will be able to find it in any pet store. Hopefully these days will be behind you soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Putt,
    I am sorry if I scared you off mentioning our trip on The Cat. But The Cat is really bad news - and I am not the only one thinking so. We counted our blessings, that we at the last moment decided to take our own car over - and didn't have to return on that thing.
    If you have already booked he trip, just be prepared. You may want to take something for sea sickness before you board. In fact, if I remember correctly - the Cat company even distribute those tablets before you board. That should tell you something.
    Nova Scotia is beautiful. The drive up to Halifax is not that great. But the west coast is lovely. Lots of quaint little places.
    Have a wonderful trip and don't forget your passports.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Back from my jaunt to Maine.  First four days were beautiful, last three not so nice.  I was up very early today and ready to come home!  The rain gave us an excuse to poke around the local shops.  One day we went to Portland and walked around the Old Port.  Had a great lunch - lobster saute and two glasses of chardonnay. The wine was dessert - LOL! Picked up a lot of stocking stuffers. Went to a concert one night at the local summer theatre.  Members of the Portland Symphony perform chamber music concerts there throughout the summer. Last Sunday we went blueberry picking.  There were six of us and we managed to pick enough wild blueberries for me to bake a pie with enough left over for pancakes.  Managed to swim on the good days.  Good thing because I ate like a horse.  Had lobster and steamers a couple of times.  Throw in a few games of scrabble and it was a great vacation for me. I hope to go back over Labor Day.

My neighbor told me he watered my plants at the beginning of the week but mother nature did the watering after that.  Today is ok so far.  I'm going to grab a coffee and walk over to the river. Nice to be back and chatting again!

mothermitzi    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

Your trip to Nova Scotia sounds wonderful. My uncle married a woman from Nova Scotia and I made several trips over the years.  It is a wonderful place to visit. Reminds me of Maine forty years ago, and by that I mean the quaintness of the towns and open space.  However, they have every modern convenience we have and a great infrastructure. I have taken the Cat from Bar Harbor and luckily, had no problem.  I can't say that I saw a lot of people sick.  The going may have been rough the day pingo went.  I've also taken the boat from Portland. In those days, it was overnight but a lot of fun.  I think the Cat goes from Portland now, too. I also drove a couple of times - long ride about thirteen hours to where we were going but a beautiful ride nonetheless. The last time we went, we flew to Halifax and drove across the province to the west coast where my relatives are. They live in the Annapolis Valley - beautiful area.  Another time we went up the Cabot Trail to Cape Breton.  You'll find a lot of shops with quality items.  I always spend when I go!  You'll love it. Lovely people in Nova Scotia.

mothermitzi    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning Kar, You haven't hi-jacked anything. This is what this Chat thread is for - chatting about anything that comes to our mind. tt and mm chat about their cats, you about your puppy - and I enjoy reading all your stories. One thing about the "puppy accident" though. If you haven't heard already, you may want to scrub that "puddle place" really well - or she will have a mark that she is allowed to "go" there. There is something on the market, that will neutralize the odor. Unfortunately, I forgot the name, but I am sure you will be able to find it in any pet store. Hopefully these days will be behind you soon.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Thanks, my friend, you are so gracious. :) 

You are right about the smell attracting them to peee there again - I have used Nature's Miracle, and it seems to really work.  She never sniffs there, again, anyway.  The only thing is, though, that you have to thoroughly soak the area so it reaches all the offending material.  It's an enzyme concoction that chemically breaks it down to unrecognizable parts.  Thanks for the warning!  Who knows what I know and what I don't at this point, and there's plenty more that I don't know than do, I can assure you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, oh, your lunch description made my mouth water.  I love traditional Maine dining!  I was born there, and lobster anything was my favorite from the time I started eating solid food.  Not the wine, of course, that came later. ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi kargiver -

Well, I'm not a native, but I think of Maine as my second home.  I've vacationed there since I was born.  There have been many changes over the years but the basics are still there - fresh air, recreation and great food!  Driving by fields one day, there was a smell of cut grass in the air that took me back many years. Maine is elixir for my soul, no doubt about it!

I like a little restaurant in the Old Port called Street & Co. They don't serve lunch per se, but we were too early for dinner really and sat at the bar. The bartender saw to it that we had something to eat - wonderful! Is there anything as nice as eating lobster in Maine?  I don't think so!  

mothermitzi

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hi kargiver - Well, I'm not a native, but I think of Maine as my second home.  I've vacationed there since I was born.  There have been many changes over the years but the basics are still there - fresh air, recreation and great food!  Driving by fields one day, there was a smell of cut grass in the air that took me back many years. Maine is elixir for my soul, no doubt about it! I like a little restaurant in the Old Port called Street & Co. They don't serve lunch per se, but we were too early for dinner really and sat at the bar. The bartender saw to it that we had something to eat - wonderful! Is there anything as nice as eating lobster in Maine?  I don't think so!   mothermitzi     
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

Glad your parents introduced you to the joy of Maine and you've kept up the tradition.  No, I don't think there's anything quite so luscious and joyful as eating lobster on the coast of Maine.  Last time I was in Portland was 1977 (I was 5), and my favorite restaurant, The Hollow Reed, has been closed for 20 years. I remember very well their fresh carrot juice (rarely served in those days) and healthful sandwiches with alfalfa.  I had adult taste buds, I guess. ;) That was nice of the bartender to take care of you like that at Street & Co. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome home mothermitzi

So happy you had a nice time in Maine..you were missed!  Reading about your lunch. what could be better then lobster and chardonnay.  I think getting away is so important, not only for the scenery but change in routine.  I was very happy to read your experience on the Cat..but as pingo said earlier..the people in the bar didnt seem to have a problem..guess where we'll be..

I just returned from Boston on the ferry..my new SIL surprised his mom, dad, my daughter and myself with the ferry ride and lunch at Joes..he is such a sweetheart..

Glad you are back and enjoying this beautiful weather.

putt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Good to catch up on all that everyone's doing.  It's been a busy week for me.  Had cortisone shot in my hand on Monday and have a 2 week grace period to see what improvements it makes, so have cut down as much as I can on things I think may be aggravating the condition - computer, cards, lifting heavy things.  Nevertheless each day was filled - library, shopping, an adventure (or misadventure) with my Fla friend who arrived this week, and on Friday, my DIL took the day off and we headed for Kittery (yes, in that rain) for shopping and lobster at Bosn's Landing for lunch.  Yesterday I took the day for myself to regroup with things that had been sitting here waiting to be done - grocery shopping, a couple of washes, unloading the dishwasher, changing the litter box - all those little things that add up.

Had my cereal and juice breakfast this morning, followed by a scrumptious slice/scoop of a new blueberry dessert.  So easy and soooo good.  Made it last night and planned to save it for this afternoon when my neighbor is coming up (for just ONE game of cards - unless it's an unusually short game and then we'll squeeze in 2!), but I had to test-taste it to be sure it was good!

Now I'll get off the computer.  No games, since that right index mouse finger is where it all started.  I'll pop in now and then, but be assured I'll be keep up with your posts.  Happy Sunday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Hope you make out ok with your hand.  You're wise to rest it.  I sometimes wake with stiffness in the fingers on my right hand. I find warm water helps first thing. I guess there is the fear of carpal tunnel, too.  I'm sure I have a touch of it.  I feel it in my wrist from time to time.  I'm on a computer all day.  Take care and good luck with your game of cards!  If and when you feel up to it, perhaps you would share your dessert recipe with us.  I love anything blueberry.  
    Was up and out early today.  I met friends last night and had a couple of drinks. I always enjoy a glass of wine at night but my limit now is one or two.  Any more than that and it interrupts my sleep.  I was awake most of the night.  I guess I'm turning into a cheap date!  I think that's the term anyway.  I knew my father would be up early, so I called him and we went to breakfast.  After that, I grabbed an iced coffee and took the magazine sections to the river.  Did not walk today - too humid.  I sat on a bench and enjoyed the breeze and the scenery, of which there is plenty.  

I'm in for the rest of the day and the a/c is running - very comfortable.  Red Sox come on soon.  Talk to you later.

mothermitzi 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you add Epsom salts to the warm water soak it will be extra effective on soothing your hand, and your skin will be silky smooth, too.  Do a cuticle job right after - they'll be extra soft.  (knowledge compliments of my grandma)

~kar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi kar -

Grandma always had the answers.  Wish I had bottled some of my Grandma's.  I sure could use it!  Thanks.

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning friends,
    I  was glad to see tt posting again. Started to worry a bit - and was almost going to send out a "looking for tt" post, but then I decided to wait until today Monday. - She could have taken off to the Cape at the last moment. I hope your hand will improve quickly. I am also on the computer most of the day and can feel when I need to give my hand a rest.
    I had a lousy night myself. Was suffering from severe indigestion. Couldn't fall asleep and at first thought that the antibiotic capsule (yes, I am still on them) I had taken at bed time did not go down properly, so I got up and had another glass of water. It helped a bit and I fell asleep. But I woke up after an hour's time and was feeling just as bad again. Then I remember Mrs. Ken' s cranberry juice and Kar's support of it - and had myself about 4 ounces. I was slowly feeling much better and after about 20 minutes back to normal. Thanks Mrs. Ken!
    Mother mitzy, I am glad you had a good trip on the Cat. We certainly didn't. No one will get me on that thing again. I have heard several friends saying the exact same thing. Let us just hope putt will hit a "good" day.
    You are right Kar about the Epsom salts - that is what the doc told Mr. P to soak his tennis elbow in. It works and it is cheap.
    I am wondering, what happened to circles. Has anyone seen her posts on other threads? I am just hoping she is so busy with her candle making, that she does not have time for us.
    Hope you all will have a good day, despite the lousy weather - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I miss my grandma so much.  She'd been my best friend since I was born; we could always read each others' minds.  When I was a newborn, I was very sick.  I'd wimper (unable to actually cry) while she was fixing my formula (special meat-based nasty stuff that was the only thing I could digest), and when she spoke to me, I'd be quiet immediately.  If she took too long, I'd wimper again until she spoke again.  That's totally normal for an older baby, but not a 1 - 2 week old newborn...Gramma and I had a supernatural connection that not even we could explain, and it persisted forever after.

Trader Joe's sells a pure cranberry juice.  It's expensive, but it doesn't have any added sugar (in any form like apple juice/fructose or whatever), just cranberry juice.  It tastes terrible, but you get used to it...mostly.  Regarding taking it for heartburn, I do want to remind you I'm not a health professional, and of course, "prescribing" more acid for heartburn goes as against the medical grain as one can go.

I've often wondered about circles.  I'm on a mailing list for beeswax candles, and I think of her every time I get a message from them.  I hope she's doing great and will give us an update soon.

The sun is out, and, of course, the pup is asleep.  Chances are when it opens up and pours is when she'll need to go out. ;)

Pingo, how is your leg?  Keeping it up?

Have a great day, all.

~kar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, thanks for asking!
    I have not mentioning anything about it lately as I think I bothered you guys enough with my misfortune. But it IS getting better. On a scale from 1 to 10 - I think I am on a 6 maybe 7. I am allowed to drive and go places, but the leg tells me, when enough is enough. Saturday we went to an open house at one of our projects we recently finished. Lots of speeches, lots of sitting, lots of walking. Yesterday I suffered. But my doc did tell me, that it would take a long time before it would be back to normal.
    I did try TJ's pure cranberry juice. It is not for my palate. I know you are not a health professional, but at least one can try a good friends suggestion at least once. If it works - good. If it doesn't well you don' t have to take that advice again. In my case it worked. So thanks! - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, that nasty juice isn't for my palatte either, yuck.  But, when I had a bladder infection I drank it down...Mmmmm. :( 

Yes, your doc is 100% correct in his expectations; it really will take months before you are back to your old self I'm afraid.  Like I said, my Dad had a life threatening staph infection in his knee, and I'd say it took about a year for him to be back to normal.  I don't tell you this to discourage you, but instead to let you know what kind of expectations will lead to the least disappointment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi pingo
    You are never a bother with talk of your leg or anything else..that's why we all are here to see how our board friends are doing and maybe offer some help. 

kar, your advice is really good and it all seems to be what our grandmothers and mothers tried before a doctor visit.  My mom insisted on a tablespoon of Father John's medicine everyday..tasted like gingerbread batter.  Have no idea what it was supposed to do but I've been on a diet since puberty. 

tt - hope your hand continues to improve.  Take a day at a time.

mothermitzi - it was interesting to read about your interrupted sleep with more then one or two drinks.  I've also noticed that but then again the same thing happens with chocolate.  Talk about a cheap date..

I bought a new air conditioner today..waiting for my son to stop by after work and put it in the window.  I have one upstairs and thought where it's so late in the season I may wait until next year..it's just too uncomfortable and so humid but I dont dare complain after the weather we've had this summer.

Have a great night

putt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

putt, alcohol interrupts everyone's sleep.  It is a depressant so it does make you sleepy and relaxed soon after you drink it so there's a widespread misconception that it helps.  But, the fact is it impacts the hormones that regulate REM sleep, reducing it.  You should avoid alcohol from dinnertime on if you notice it impacting how rested you feel in the morning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

Hope you got your a/c unit installed. I had a new furnace put in a few years back and had central air put in at the same time.  It was a bit difficult in this old house of mine but worth it. I know what you mean about complaining.  Today, I thought, oh it's too hot.  Then I thought back to June and ahead to December!  

Your ferry ride and lunch in Boston sounded neat.  I like Joe's and sometimes take out-of-town guests there.  Joe's used to be a restaurant called Joseph's Aquarium. Do you remember that? Great outdoor seating there.  I like the Sail Loft next door, too. They have limited outdoor seating. 

The Sox are cleaning up tonight.  Stay cool dear.

mothermitzi

Sections
Shortcuts