July chats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Re: July chats

Hi mothermitzi

My air conditioner is in and I'm so happy..my son and SIL came by and had it installed in no time.  I then fed everyone cold chicken, caesar salad, pasta/broccoli salad and Italian bread..No one wanted dessert but I had Ben and Jerry's banana split ice cream and rasberry cookies.  I've made myself so hungry guess I'll have an early lunch.

Took a walk along the beach this morning and it was very humid.. Could not wait to get home.

Have some errands to run but plan to spend the rest of the day keeping cool.

Enjoy

putt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The 5 lbs I lost during the month we've had the puppy will soon be regained as I socialize her down at the center of town.  Ice cream, burgers, fries...I mean I gotta buy stuff at the outdoor places I hang out at or they'll not appreciate me just using their space on the common to socialize my pup, right?! 

Mmmmmmmm, socialization.....  Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Have to tell you about my new addition - bought in my attempt to eliminate as many carpal tunnel irritants as possible - a water filtering device that fits on the faucet!  I'm loving it.  It has 3 switches, one for straight flow, one for spray, and a third that goes through the filter when you want a drink.  No flavor.  Looking at my recycling bin that will go out tomorrow, I realize the majority item filling it is water jugs.  No more lugging those heavy babies.  Also switched from gallon milk containers to quarts.  Doing what I can to avoid surgery.  Actually can feel jabbing pain in my tingling hands as I type this.  So --

Mothermitzi, at some point I'll post the blueberry pie recipe on the recipe thread of ours.

Muggy today, but enjoy.  I'm heading for a bookstore (paperbacks, no heavy ones!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, congratulations on your new "addition". I am so lucky, our town has wonderful water. Never had to buy bottled water.
    Well, not exactly true. There was a time, when my family hopped on the "water bottle wagon". "Everyone buys water, so why don't we. Our water taste terrible!" Truly, I couldn't taste the difference.
    So one day I bought the most expensive brand water and the store brand. Then had the 3 of them sit down for a tasting. 3 cups. Brand name, store name and our town water. Guess what they all selected as the best tasting? --- Our town water. Since then, I have had no complaints.
    I know your town has lousy water. My SIL lives there. And the poor girl has to lug so many gallons of water every week. Her family do not drink anything but water.
    I also switched to quarters of milk quite some time ago. More expensive, than buying the gallons - but when your family get smaller and you have to throw out the most of it - no saving there. We do quite well with the quarters.
    Having company coming tonight, so I just made an easy desert w/blueberries. Made a cracker crumbs crust and filled it w/ jello instant cheese cake pudding. Put  blueberries and raspberries on top and now it is sitting in my refrigerator until dessert time.  Took me less than 20 minutes - how easy can that be?
    tt, I hope your hand will heal well. I know it is a tough situation, because you are supposed to rest it. - And how can you do that w/ your right hand?
    Best to you my dear - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

hI ALL
    Well at least I have my laptop back so I don't have to share the wife's computer. Only thing is I lost all my bookmarks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good for you Ken!
    Your bookmarks should still be there somehow, and maybe your IT son will be able to recover them. If not, maybe it is time for you to get a back-up thingy. They sell them at Costco for around $90. (I think). I would be totally lost w/o my bookmarks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi Everyone

Welcome back, Ken..seems like we havent heard from you in ages.

This weather has me crazy.  I did some shopping this morning in a downpour and now the sun is out bright as can be and it could be a beach day. 

The ambulance just came to the house next door.  They took the woman who is quite young but she told me awhile back about having severe stomach pains and thought it could be stress.  Once again, dear friends, does it ever end?

On a brighter note, I am going to visit a cousin who just had a new baby girl and also has a two year old..we are having lunch and I also bought a whopee pie cake. 

Enjoy the day

putt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Severe stomach pains?  Appendix maybe? 

Just got back from a local restaurant with outdoor seating with the pup.  She did really well - people were astonished when they found out she's only 12 weeks old.  I guess that's what working with her 24/7 will do.  I'm no perfect trainer, though, and "stay" and "come" are a big problem as I don't know how to get her to do it.  I think maybe my "treats" are not delicious enough.  She only eats them when she's hungry.  Maybe some bacon/beef/cheese flavored yummies will do the trick, no pun intended. ;)  What she's doing GREAT at is very subdued greetings, no jumping or nipping.  She's learning "Good greeting" and "Off" quite well.  And, she apparently understands that a porch enclosure is "inside" because she gave some subtle signals that she needed to be, uh, walked even when people were still paying attention to her and there were plenty of fun distractions.  I took her out, and she did her thing twice.  I'm so proud of her!

Now, she's napping, and I'm having a cold beer.  I should be doing all the chores while she's alseep in her crate, but gosh, I'm spent, too.  She had to go twice last night even though she's been sleeping all the way through.  Too much water before bed, I guess.  The doc said to never restrict her, and she always seem thristiest right before bedtime...just like a 3 year old.  ;)

Gotta get the laundry in!

Have a great afternoon everyone.

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Couldn't decide what to have for lunch, but after walking outside, I made a beeline for the frozen yogurt cart and had a bowl of vanilla with fresh strawberries on top.  My kind of lunch.  This morning, I didn't think it would stop raining.  It is hot now and I don't know that I'll walk home tonight.

Ken, glad you are back with us.  I feel lost without my home computer.  Hope you and the Mrs. are keeping well in the extreme heat I've been reading about.  My family and friends in Dallas say it's been awful.

What's going on with the Red Sox?  Hope this is just a temporary slump. 

mothermitzi

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi mothermitzi

What is the story on Big Papi and steroids???  I am sick over this..heard anything?

putt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I am not going to worry much about the book marks. I got BDC bookmarked anyhow and a couple of others, but soon I hope to have my PC back and then my son can help me get it back to the way I like it. I tried to down load itunes but somehow messed up. But i did it on the wife's PC so we can put new music on the ipod. I use it when i walk, and this morning she tried it out while she was on the TM and liked it. so now she is talking about getting her own ipod.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

I don't get it.  If this happened in 2003, why are we just hearing about it now? Guess I don't have enough info yet.  Even though Manny is a good player, I didn't care for his antics, but I always liked Ortiz. It saddens me that the players feel they need to do this.  It's obviously a big problem in MLB.  

I am happy Ortiz won the game for the Sox today.  That was great luck for him in light of the allegations.

mothermitzi 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello mother mitzy,
    To hear about Ortiz so disappoint me. Manny, somehow does not surprise me. I don't now why - maybe just b/c of his style.
    Well, I am really not into baseball - mostly because of all these allegations. When Clemens was in the news - I just had it with baseball all together.
    My husband often gets free tickets for the Red Sox home games. He gives them away to our employees and clients. So far Mr. P and I have never gone to watch a game at the park.
    Just last Monday, we took a client out for dinner at a Harvard Square restaurant. When we left, the ball game had just finished.  We had to drop these people off at some hotel on Broadway, Cambridge --- and it took us two hours to get back home. Please tell me, who wants to deal with this. Isn' t TV wonderful? - You have  first row seats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

You must have run into traffic around Storrow Drive.  It is bad after the games. Television is ok most of the time, but I like going to Fenway on opening day, and I like to go to at least one night game during the summer. Luckily, I have a close family member with seasons tickets, who indulges me.  My boss usually takes us to a game, too.  The rest of the time I am content to stay right here. I feel the same way about Ortiz. Have great affection for him.  Could never get beyond Clemen's arrogance. All so disappointing.   

The dessert you described the other day sounds good.  My mother used to make a similar dessert using yogurt.  That was one recipe I could never find or duplicate. I've been getting the best blueberries and raspberries at the farmers market.  Peaches and small plums showed up last week.  The little plums are sweet and delicious. Hope your leg is doing better.  Take care on these hot days. We went so long with rain and cool temps that I don't mind this bit of heat, but I took a taxi home tonight - too hot. 

mothermitzi   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Kar - so glad things are going well with your pup.  They are a lot of work, but so worth it.  Sounds like he's a quick learner!  Although your vet said not to restrict him, I do it with my dogs.  I pick their water bowls up at 6:30pm.  They get used to it and are really never looking for it after that.  If I do see one of them looking for it, I'll give him just a little bit.  You really can train them to fit into your schedule.

Looks like it's going to be a rainy day, but at least the weekend looks promising.  What a strange summer it's been!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Mothermitzi,

Seeing you mention blueberries again, which are so plentiful right now (and the Stop and Shop's have been big fat ones), I'll quickly jot down here the new blueberry pie recipe.  I can't take credit, it came from a library book, Once a Month Cooking. I  had copied out several recipes, 2 or which I've tried and loved both.  I see that there is a new revised edition out

Brush a 6oz. pre-made graham cracker crust with egg white and bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
    Cool.
    Melt a 10 oz. jar of red currant jelly in a saucepan, then add a pint of blueberries.
    Stir slightly.
    Let cool a little, then pour into the crust.  Let cool, and then spread a thin layer (about a cup) of sour cream on top.  I added a sprinkling of cinnamon over the top.  Refrigerate overnight before serving.  Absolutely delicious.  The sour cream cuts the sweetness of the jelly, and to me the cinnamon ties all the ingredients together.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

princess, thanks for the encouragement.  We'll see if I need to change her water habit - she generally sleeps through the night as things stand, but DH gets up to go to the restroom around 2 am, and that wakes her up and then she has to go.  I think she'd sleep all the way through if he did even with her bedtime drink.  Wish I could get DH to stop drinking water after 7:30 - that's the real problem!!!  ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that blueberry recipe sounds just delicious. Will try it, even though and entire jar of jelly sounds too sweet for me. Besides I have to watch the sugar. I will try to make it with less - maybe half a jar or so and let you know, how that comes out. One question though. The 6 inch crust you are mentioning, is that one of the ready made? I Usually make my own, but I don't have such a small pie pan. Maybe I have to "double-up".
    Talking red currant jelly, I use it a lot. I add a tablespoon or two to my meat gravies for example. Try it, I think you will like it. Everyone are raving about my gravies, but they don't know my "secret" - well I guess now it is out. I also use it for my sweet and sour red cabbage. No sugar needed. The jelly IS the sweet part.
    How is your hand? Any improvement? We are missing your posts here. But if you need to rest it, please do so - things will not get better o their own - just worse.
    Have a nice - unfortunately rainy - day. I am not going to the office today. Stayed late last night - so I could finish up not to have to come in today. May go for a hair trim, plus I have several errands to run.
    Take care - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo, I bought the pre-made Honey Maid pie shell, says 6 oz., so perhaps it is an 8" pie (I changed the recipe posting to show this). This recipe just filled it perfectly.  The recipe itself is followed by a graham cracker crust recipe that says to press into a 9" pie shell.  I doubt a pint of blueberries would fill that size well enough. The jar of jelly I bought was 12 oz., but I used it all before I realized it only called for 10 oz.  You could try cutting the amount down a bit, but I think you need a certain amount of the jelly re-gelling to hold the blueberries together.  With the sour cream on top, it really isn't too sweet.  It's a rich pie, so you don't want to cut gigantic slices, and I think this size pie will make enough to satisfy your tastes.  Of course, you can adjust as you see fit.  I remember your mentioning the jelly in your gravies before, and did use it when I made the slaw.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks tt,
    Mr. P just called, we are having company Sunday --- so I am on my way out for blueberries. Double portion, so I can fill my pie plate. If any left over - I know someone, who will have them for breakfast. The rest of the ingredients I have, and I like your touch of cinnamon. Now, I am just wondering - if one can use frozen berries, or other berries or fruit, when the blue are not in season?  Maybe some other jellies. Just thinking nectarines or peaches with apricot jelly (maybe even apple jelly) sounds divine to me. I will not experiment this time - but someday I will.
    Went to have a trim, but the girl that cut my hair was off today. Didn' t want to experiment w/ someone else. Oh, well!
    Just a note. A friend of mine taught me how to keep blueberries longer in the ref. Place them in a bowl of water w/ a couple of Tbs. of vinegar. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Then rinse well in a couple of water rinses. Pour in a colander and let drip dry for an hour or so. Place them in a container and stick them in your ref. I have been buying several pints of blues, while they were so cheap and this really works. No mold. Just thought I would pass along this hint.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Glad to see your posts and hope your hand is ok.  Do take care.

Thanks very much for this recipe.  I'm with pingo; it sounds delicious.  I love red currant jelly and can't wait to try this.  I also use it in gravies and with meat dishes. Occasionally, I make a pound cake and put dried currants in the batter.  Not too popular with my crowd though, so I don't do it often.  I like dried fruits in general - dates, figs, apricots, prunes.  Of course, they taste even better in bars or cookies!

Going to a housewarming tomorrow afternoon.  Hopefully, it will be cool.  Sunday I'm going to NH with my father to celebrate my nephew's birthday.  That will be fun - barbecue and swimming.  Take care.

mothermitzi  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: The Red Sox Manager

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Manager:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Manager : It's one thing to not like a player or manager or disagree with what the manager is doing. But your pathalogial rantings are pathetic. You need professional help.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Look out, Tweeto is going to stop short and you don't want your nose to keep moving forward, it might end up in tweeto's ...........

Sections
Shortcuts