July of 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: July of 2011

In Response to Re: July of 2011:
    [QUOTE]Well, perhaps if Putt still reads the posts from time to time, now that you've put the email address up there, she'll get in touch with you via that.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I think of Putt from time to time...I think her husband was a smoker? I thought of her a lot when I quit smoking...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everybody!! Just got back from a really difficult week at work, and apparently, my weekend off? Not so much. On the upside, on my way home, 128 South, A double rainbow!!!! I have to read back to check in with you guys. bg.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, Did you go to TJ's to get the globes? Well, I made mine last night. They were huge - about 4 inches across. This time I made a different stuffing. Fresh bread crumbs, plenty of garlic, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, chopped tarragon and blue cheese . First sauteed, then stuffed into the cavity of the steamed artichokes. Oh my, oh my, oh my --- were they good. The choke bottom was the size of small hamburger. Even DH, who is not that crazy about artichokes told me, I could make those again. Everything was just on a spur of the moment put together. My tarragon needed to be trimmed and I had some left over blue cheese crumbles, that was calling my name. Please do try this sometime. Absolutely wonderful - Pingo

pingo -

I love stuffed artichokes but have always been intimidated by the preparation. My dear MIL made dozens at Christmastime.  I can see her sitting at the kitchen table, trimming the leaves, etc...  It took her a very long time, and we were appreciative of her efforts, believe me.  I guess I always thought of it as just too much work.  She taught me how to make many dishes and I'm sorry now I didn't pay more attention to her stuffed artichokes.   

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mothermitzy,
    I used to be intimidated by the preparation as well. But when you get the hang of it, it really doesn't take that much time. I saw off the stem and 1/3 of the head with my bread knife, then sit down at my kitchen table and use a pair of scissors to trim the leaves, while listening to some nice music. After I remove all the "fuzz", I steam them for about 35 - 40 minutes. Now they are ready to be stuffed. People have different stuffing, they like. I like mine simple, but always use fresh bread crumbs. I run a couple of slices of bread with lots of garlic and some herbs in my little food processor. Then sautee this in a Tbs. of oil and add some cheese just before I stuff them. Stuffed, they are ready to go in the oven.
    I don't make them too often, as I don't always find good globes. But when I do see some good ones, I pick them up. If you like them so much, try to make a couple for yourself. I have made up to 8 at the time. It is an easy dish to make for company, as one can make everything ahead of time and just stick them in the oven before serving. It is always an elegant dish and get raves every time. And then  there is the dipping sauce of course. That's another chapter all together. YUM! - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: July of 2011 : [QUOTE]Kar, Did you go to TJ's to get the globes? Well, I made mine last night. They were huge - about 4 inches across. This time I made a different stuffing. Fresh bread crumbs, plenty of garlic, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, chopped tarragon and blue cheese . First sauteed, then stuffed into the cavity of the steamed artichokes. Oh my, oh my, oh my --- were they good. The choke bottom was the size of small hamburger. Even DH, who is not that crazy about artichokes told me, I could make those again. Everything was just on a spur of the moment put together. My tarragon needed to be trimmed and I had some left over blue cheese crumbles, that was calling my name. Please do try this sometime. Absolutely wonderful - Pingo pingo - I love stuffed artichokes but have always been intimidated by the preparation. My dear MIL made dozens at Christmastime.  I can see her sitting at the kitchen table, trimming the leaves, etc...  It took her a very long time, and we were appreciative of her efforts, believe me.  I guess I always thought of it as just too much work.  She taught me how to make many dishes and I'm sorry now I didn't pay more attention to her stuffed artichokes.    mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    This is Wimbledon weekend - so I know, what DH will be doing. That will give me some time to do chores, I have neglected for some time. Doesn't sound very exciting - does it? My laundry/ironing/sewing room need some extra special care, and I have kept postponing it, as there were more important things to do. Somehow stuff just keep piling up there.
    Except for baking an eggless cake and going to my SIL tomorrow, we have no plans, so this is a good weekend to get that out of the way.
    It is kind of strange, b/c I would normally have been up to my ears planning, cooking and set up for our cook-out. Kind of like it better this way; easy to get used to. LOL
    Hope Princess will have a chance to let us know, how Buster is doing. We know Gracie is well on her way - hope Buster will do just as well.
    Enjoy this long weekend, whatever you are doing. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning all,
    It's so nice to have the day off. I am going to try to enjoy every minute of this long weekend, even though we don't have any plans. 

Buster is hanging in there - I can tell he still isn't feeling well.  He did get to go outside and lay down and watch DH do some yard work, so maybe the fresh air did him some good. He's still not eating well, so I cooked up some hamburger and rice for later.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

I'm doing lots of chores too pingo, don't feel so bad.  It's okay, it's just nice to be home.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Glad to see your post, was wondering about Buster, Princess.  I can remember the days of boiling hamburg and rice for pups who were under the weather.  I'm amazed at these pups who can get up and around even tho it must be so painful.  Brave little soldiers.  Give him a smooch.

Planned to make red,white and blue sprinkle sugar cookies today, but my sous (sp?) chef has pool dates today and tomorrow.  Gives me a leisurely day, I'll probably get the peanut butter cookies made later instead.  Very comfortable with the windows open, so no problem with the oven going.

Neighborhood is so quiet.  A lot have probably gone away.  I think I'd rather be comfortable at home than out on the crowded highway.  Do miss my NH and Cape vacation times tho.  Guess that's why they say, "Enjoy it while you can", because as Loretta says, "You never know - - -".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

hi pingo -

Funny, after I posted last night, I spoke with my DD today and we are going to try and make a few, based on your instructions and our memories.  So, one of our kitchens will be a test area - probably mine! Oddly, my granddaughters love artichokes so it will be worth it.  

tt is so right when she writes about going while you can.  You can't help but think what might lay ahead.  My poor MIL was an intelligent and funny person who ran her family's business for years.  Now she can't feed herself and last time I went to see her, she did not know who I was.  I guess the motto is live for today!

tt, I think we'll all get along in Maine.  We went skiing last winter and it worked out well. The key was to get a place with two houses and set up a schedule for meals so no one person felt they were doing too much.  It was a community effort and I suspect we'll be eating out more this time. Also taking my little friend from next door.  My daughter took her shopping for bathing suits with my granddaughter and asked me later, "Does she like a color other than pink?"  I laughed and said, "Not really!"

Hope all your plans are progressing nicely.  I'm about to leave soon for Essex.

mothermitzi  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh mm, so glad you and your daughter are trying to make the chokes. Just in case you should check in, here is the rest of the "instructions". After cleaning them, steam them for about 35 - 40 minutes. (Poke the bottom with a knife, you will know, when they are done). Let them sit for a few minutes, bottom up on a paper towel. Then stuff them with whatever stuffing you like or can remember from you MIL. I sautee fresh bread crumbs and lots of garlic, then add the herbs and cheese. Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes. 
    Everyone has a favorite dipping sauce. Some like plain melted butter, some like just a squirt of lemon. The one I made the day before yesterday was mayo, sour creme, garlic, salsa and parsley swirled in my food processor. But you can add anything to your liking. Bon appetite! Enjoy - Pingo

[QUOTE]hi pingo - Funny, after I posted last night, I spoke with my DD today and we are going to try and make a few, based on your instructions and our memories.  So, one of our kitchens will be a test area - probably mine! Oddly, my granddaughters love artichokes so it will be worth it.   tt is so right when she writes about going while you can.  You can't help but think what might lay ahead.  My poor MIL was an intelligent and funny person who ran her family's business for years.  Now she can't feed herself and last time I went to see her, she did not know who I was.  I guess the motto is live for today! tt, I think we'll all get along in Maine.  We went skiing last winter and it worked out well. The key was to get a place with two houses and set up a schedule for meals no one person felt they were doing too much.  It was a community effort and I suspect we'll be eating out more this time. Also taking my little friend from next door.  My daughter took her shopping for bathing suits with my granddaughter and asked me later, "Does she like a color other than pink?"  I laughed and said, "Not really!" Hope all your plans are progressing nicely.  I'm about to leave soon for Essex. mothermitzi  
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've done a lazy man's artichoke if I'm not serving company like this:  Slice off top about 1 1/2 done.  Cut untouched leaves about 1/3 way down each.  Steam 35 - 40 minutes (or until a skewer can be stuck through the top (wide part) of the stem under the heart with gentle resistance).  Eat as usual, ripping and dipping leaves in butter.  When just the choke is left, you can scrape it easily down with a dinner spoon; all the inedible fuzzy stuff of the choke slides right off.  It's not the prettiest way to serve it, but if I don't feel like working to get the choke out before they're cooked (the hardest prep part imo) it's not a big deal to skip it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I think that unless you really LOVE artichokes, it is the fuzzy stuff that turns off most people. I will eat them your way anytime, but I know DH wouldn't. I have finally had him gone so far as to ask for them once in a while. If I start to serve them with the fuzz, I know, I would have to start all over. So I will keep serving mine fuzz less - LOL. Besides, the stuffing is sooo good too. - Pingo

ETA: You could probably steam the chokes with the fuzz on, and then scrape it off just before you stuff them. May be easier. Will try the next time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, I forgot.
    Yesterday I was at the grocery store and the lines at the cashiers were a mile long. So I picked up a Woman's Day mag. to entertain me while waiting.
    Here I found another quote from Eleanor Roosevelt:
    A woman is like a tea bag, you never know, how strong she is, until she is in hot water.
    Though you girls would enjoy it - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, the fuzzy stuff of the choke itself is terrible, dare I say inedible.  But, my mom always scraped it off post-cooking; it comes right off easily that way whereas before cooking it's a struggle, and some people find it too intimidating to bother.  She wasn't a chef by any means. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Up early.  Have had my eggs, toast and coffee, and already read the Globe.  Next door neighbor stopped me when I was putting out recycling this week and asked if I would give her all the paper coupons I don't use.  So many people are seriously couponing now.  Glad to do it, I only clip a very few each week.

Laughed at Cheerio this morning, she came in here on the bed, but I hadn't tilted the blinds letting the sun shine in.  I swear she can understand what I say - I said, "Want some sun,?  Want Mama to tilt the blinds and let the sun shine in?"  She began purring and gave me one of those blink eyes shut smiles, even before I had touched the blinds.  Now she's washing up, a process that takes a good half hour with her, and purring.

Got the cookies made yesterday.  I forget each time how many it makes.  Filled one of those oblong trays and my cookie jar too.  Was going to freeze one long roll and bake later, but decided to bake them all up and give them away to son's households.  My DIL whose house I'm going out to tomorrow is off this next week and had mentioned trying to get together one day and bring Lilly down. Think I'll see how she feels about trying to set up a play/pool date with youngest son's kids.  They are cousins and only see each other at Christmas. They'll enjoy Lilly, she's such a friendly, funny little girl, very articulate.  And, it will give the 2 DILs a chance to chat a bit too.  --  Your family vacation plans, Mothermitzi, makes me wish mine were closer with each other.  I do what I can from time to time, but there are underlying jealousies and hurts there. Everyone likes this DIL,  Lilly's Nana, so she's a good place to start again - if they're all agreeable with this play date idea.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Cheerio definitely understands!  Gracie sure does. :)

Lily sounds delightful...I hope you can get the cousins date together.

Too many cookies, huh?  What a problem!  LOL

DH is getting ready to go up north for the family 4th party.  So glad to need to stay home with Gracie, although, I'll miss him and my SIL.

I'm finally starting to relax a bit about Gracie's knee.  Hang in there Princess-cal!  How is Buster doing?  Post a photo?

Gotta go put myself together before DH comes in to pack up and head out.

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello everyone,
    Of course Cheerio understand you, tt. Our dog understood everything perfectly well. It wold be nice to get the kids together for a play date, but don't get too upset, if it does not happen. Family can be difficult at times.

Too bad Kar, that you cannot join DH for a trip to NH. Will BIL be there? Maybe it is just as well.

How did you make out with the chokes, mm? Hope it went well and everyone enjoyed your efforts.

Eggless carrot cake is baking right now. Was hunting yesterday for some small American flags to put on it after I frost it with a cream cheese frosting. No such luck.

Have a good day everyone. Suppose to be raining. Too bad - lots of parties will be washed out. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning All,
    Buster is hanging in there.  Still not trying to use his leg yet -Kar, how long was it before Gracie tried to start using her leg?  We have an appt Thurs to get his staples out, so I can ask the vet then.  Kar, are you going to have any PT done for Gracie?  We never did for Callie, but they are recommending it for Buster.  I think it will depend on the cost and the commitment.  It sounds terrible, but it's so hard for us during the week.  We are both out out of the house between work and commutes for 10-12 hrs/day, it's hard to fit other things in.

Anyway, today we are going to go pick up my Mom and take her out to lunch and on a few errands.  MIL will be "babysitting" Buster for a few hours, so that will be nice.  He still is confined so pretty much sleeps most of the day.

Hope you all have a nice day!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds as tho Buster is coming along good, Princess.  No signs of infection?  You can listen to the vet as far as therapy, and his recommendations and warnings if you can't go that way, and then make your decision.  I know, it's like how would you be able to get him there when you are both working such long hours.  Explain this to the vet and see what he comes up with as a suggestion.  I'm sure they have run into that problem before.  If there are no evening hours, perhaps even just Sat therapy with exercises you could do at home, would be better than nothing,

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Heard from my other granddaughter and she's going to try to bring her mastiff out to my DIL's tomorrow.  Freya and Daisy are sisters.  Don't know how she would manage that unless she has someone else in the car with her to control Freya on an hour ride.  Hope she can arrange it, it would be fun to see the two of them playing together. (this must be my "play date" thinking week-end - human and animal!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Eggless carrot cake is baking right now. Was hunting yesterday for some small American flags to put on it after I frost it with a cream cheese frosting. No such luck." 

Are you talking edible candy flags?  Saw some at Michael's, but that was the first of the week, and they may very well be gone now.  they were on the first long 4th of July set up, the opposite side from when you come in.  Also may have been some on the cake decorating aisle, can't remember.  Probably too late now for you to run out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin-cal, Gracie used her leg right away, BUT, don't despair over Buster not using his yet.  My surgeon said that MANY dogs don't use their legs for a couple of weeks.  And, furthermore, Gracie's swelling that necessitated the drain being put in was due to her using it too  much too early.  So, if he's self-regulating and choosing not to use it, that's better, although, I know it's disconcerting to see him hop because you wonder if he'll ever use it.  He definitely will, just give him time and be thankful he isn't over using it...that's worse...believe me.  We are not doing formal therapy with Gracie.  As soon as she's cleared for enough exercise for this to be feasible, we're planning to take her in the boat to go swimming.  We got her a very nice doggie life jacket to assist her in and out of the boat and to make swimming less difficult ensuring she doesn't overwork it (or drown!).  Aside from that, we aren't doing anything special.

Gracie slept all day, every day for the first 3 weeks.

ETA: Actually, prin, you can read the cruciate ligament thread in Pets; it's a journal of our daily experience.  I don't mind answering questions here, but it's a very detailed account of what we went through complete with photos...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, BIL will be there and Gracie is just my latest reason to avoid his presence.  DH suggested I go instead of him, honestly, and I couldn't contain my disgust with that idea.  Not only does he believe that doctors don't know what they are talking about and Gracie "doesn't need to be on her leash anymore," but if he thinks I'm forced to deal with his brother WITHOUT HIM THERE he's got another think coming...as my grandmother would have said.

I'm thinking about going out for a fancy dinner tonight by myself.  I don't feel like cooking, nor do I want cereal.  So...  Carrot cake sounds good.  I'm craving a good steak, too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think you should treat yourself to a nice dinner out, Kargiver.  If you need rationale - the rest of the family will be celebrating.  I just had another whoopie pie!  I'm telling you, I started with 16 and am down now to 10, I think.  I'll definitely bring what's left out with me tomorrow, they're big enough that they can cut and share.  Going to cut up my rhubarb this afternoon and bag that, having it ready for the dessert tomorrow.  Would like to bake it in the late morning and bring it still warm.  Have to iron something to wear, but don't know if I can manage the iron, having trouble with my right shoulder from time to time.  Probably sympathy pains for Gracie and Buster!  Quiet around here, very few cars in the driveways.  -  - Oh, spoke too soon, someone shooting fireworks off - -

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt!  I think I'll use that rationale and go with it (if Gracie does her business before I'd have to leave so I don't have to worry about her).

I might have to stop somewhere on the way home for a whoopie pie seeing as though the delivery guy must have gotten lost. ;)

I just came back from buying a yellow begonia for a flower pot I bought at the consignment shop in town.  It's part of my new sunflower theme, and I'm so psyched with how it looks, and it was only $9 - $4 for the pot, $5 for the plant.  And, the farm owner potted it for me to boot.  Good thing since DH isn't home and I'm inept in the planting/growing department!

Hope it isn't too loud for everyone tonight and everyone gets a good night's sleep.  I'm all for fireworks, but not the noisemakers people shoot off all night long!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, tt!  I think I'll use that rationale and go with it (if Gracie does her business before I'd have to leave so I don't have to worry about her). I might have to stop somewhere on the way home for a whoopie pie seeing as though the delivery guy must have gotten lost. ;) I just came back from buying a yellow begonia for a flower pot I bought at the consignment shop in town.  It's part of my new sunflower theme, and I'm so psyched with how it looks, and it was only $9 - $4 for the pot, $5 for the plant.  And, the farm owner potted it for me to boot.  Good thing since DH isn't home and I'm inept in the planting/growing department! Hope it isn't too loud for everyone tonight and everyone gets a good night's sleep.  I'm all for fireworks, but not the noisemakers people shoot off all night long!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

How about a pic of the flower and pot?  That was a good deal all around.

Just finished cutting (and eating as I sliced) the rhubarb and have bagged it for tomorrow.  I hope we don't get heavy showers either coming or going.  I hate driving 128 when it's raining.  A few fireworks going off around here, but not like in other years when they were practically landing on our roofs and car roofs.  I imagine that will come tonight or tomorrow.  They're illegal, but the cops look the other way.

Don't know what I'll have myself for supper.  Sauteed mushrooms and had that with italian dressing over spaghetti for lunch.  Sorry about the delivery guy.  If you live way out in the boonies he may have taken a wrong turn, or more likely, sampled the merchandise before he got there.  I have to get rid of the rest of them.

Tomorrow everyone will most likely be busy getting around for their own celebration, so I'll wish any and all who are reading the boards, a Happy 4th now.

Sections
Shortcuts