July of 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: July of 2011

I need lots of TLC today!  One truck in driveway and 2 parked out front.  Neighbors will think, "My Gawd what did that woman have in her cellar?"  So far, one isn't even filled.  They are breaking up everything and moving right along.
    Next door neighbor just went out and I could see she was very nervous about the truck in the driveway.  Never called me tho.

There were no treasures down there, so I'm not having a hard time with that part, my big concern now is how much do you tip the workers?  At first there were 3 and now there are 5!  $20 each?  Haven't done this sort of thing for a while.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo, sounds like DH is a collector.  Have you ever seen the TV show "Hoarders" ?  Really scary stuff.  These poor people have serious mental issues. 

tt, how many movers did you contract for? I believe you only have to pay for the amount of bodies they told you originally.  I was suppose to have 3 movers and they sent 4, but were sure to tell me I didn't have to tip the 4th one.  I still did though because they did a terrific job.  I tipped 30 each, but I think 20 is fine. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A little different than furniture movers, no number set, just the owner came and gave me a price for taking the whole caboodle.  I don't feel I can do $150 more on top of original price, so guess I'll go with my $20 each.  Thanks for the input tho.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt,
    I believe tipping depends on how much time they spend at your house. $20 seems fine to me. They are not your hairdresser, you want to come back to, so you need to be extra nice. Hopefully this will be the end for you. Can you make them ice tea, lemonade, maybe a piece of your baked goods? They will appreciate that.
    Nice of your neighbor to be nervous. She probably just wanted to make sure, that those guys were there by your account and not someone, she needed to call the cops for.
    I think, when this is over a nice large Bailey's will be in order. Then pat Cheerio and go and read on your deck as if it never happened (wishful thinking, I know).
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've been supplying Poland Spring to them - they prefer that for their drinks.
    One truck is pulling out now.  They've been separating metals and paints.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, that is nice, tt. Have to make a note of that - a water note, that is. I usually make flavored drinks for similar occasions, but apparently, that is not necessary at all. Will save my labor.
    I have also been known to make sandwiches or sending for pizzas, until a friend convinced me, I was crazy. But I did it b/c I know, how difficult it is at times for our guys, when out working some odd place.
    Bringing several trucks for separating things makes a lot of sense. Might as well do it now instead of having to do it all over later. Hope things are going well.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: July of 2011:
    [QUOTE]I've been supplying Poland Spring to them - they prefer that for their drinks. One truck is pulling out now.  They've been separating metals and paints.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

They just left.  When I gave the guy the check I gave him a folded up $100 for the guys for lunch.  Now to let Cheerio down there to have a look/peek!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, what were the cats up to while Cheerio was in her with access to the computer?  She'd duck under the bed every time I opened the door to check on her, so I know something was up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

mmmm.....  I suspect they may have been making plans to meet up..... but now they are looking all innocent, like they are sleeping.. see evidence below.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Busy day here, but I'm happy to see the kitties have been keeping everyone entertained.

Glad yoru clean out went well, tt.  Must feel fantastic to be rid of all the stuff you didn't want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yup.  Cellar is clean as a whistle now, and it will stay that way.  Cheerio just sat on the stairs and wouldn't go down until I did, now she's just sitting in the middle of one of the rooms.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

How cute tt!  My cats loved when I had a cellar.  They would stay down there all day.  Cheerio is probably thinking "what the heck happened, where are my hiding spots!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

More likely - "Where are all the mice?"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

----Yup.  Cellar is clean as a whistle now, and it will stay that way.-----
    For how long, tt? Wink

Can you feel, I am so envious of you? We don't have a cellar, but we have plenty of rooms and closets, where stuff hides. The boys always storing stuff here, when they moved out of college, apartments etc - and just took the stuff they "needed" for the new place and left the rest behind. Just showed PB son his stack of college notes this weekend. Can I discard them? Oh, no Mom - those are important.
    Do you think they will be as important, if I box (2 banker's boxes full) them all up and send them to England, when he leaves? Doubt it - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

G.T. just asked me to send him pics of the empty cellar.

I still have plenty of stuff from youngest son upstairs.  All his hockey sticks, championship shirt, trophies from baseball and hockey, as well as awards.  I don't have the heart to just toss them.  Have asked him dozens of times if he wants them, but he says he has no space.  Actually, they don't have storage space, their inlaws live in an apt. downstairs, and there is no attic to speak of, I don't think.  Their garage is full of everything but cars!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

A friend sent me this. Hope you will remember the "old days" and enjoy it. I did and it gave me something to think about. - Pingo

While in the line at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to her and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today.  Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over.  So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind.  We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes.  Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.  We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service.

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances.  And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So true, Pingo.  Thanks for sharing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Not much to report here.  Finshing up some laundry later tonight and will be packing my bag to take on our weekend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Love that Pingo..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good one Pingo.  Even though I am of the "convenience" generation, I can appreciate it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everyone! I've missed all of you. This past month... Ayyayayay! I'm picking up the pieces, and all should be well soon. "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" Everything is looking up now though. I have to backtrack to catch up. I'll check in tomorrow. Take care. bg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just want to see how wonderful to see you back on bg : )

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, sorry you've been dealing with so much - we've been thinking of you. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

BG - Sorry you have been going through a rough time.  I hope things are looking up.  We have missed you on the board.

Glad today is Friday.  Will be taking Mom out tomorrow and bringing her on her errands, etc. and probably out to lunch somewhere.  Then will use Sunday to catch up on everything around the house - my usual routine, lol.

Buster is hanging in there.  We think he may be adjusting a bit to the meds, though he is still a tad weak on his feet.  We're taking it one day at a time.

Hope everyone has a great day.  Any plans for the weekend?  Any swims for Gracie planned?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In case I don't catch up with you later, Winter, have a great week-end.  Don't forget to take some pics.  It's supposed to be great weather-wise.

Sections
Shortcuts