June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: June 2013

Actually, I can fully see a kid saying, "I want O.J.".  Kids, at least my grandkids, speak out without thinking it might come across rude.  And, the breakfast drop ins I have had many in my life.  I don't think your waiting for an invitation is going to solve anything.  Try a drop in yourself.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hi ladies...hope everyone's day is going well. I have mixed reviews of my yard saling ventures from this morning. On the one hand, I found a nice wine rack so was able to check something off of my "things I need to pick up" list. It cost all of $3 and looks identical to the one I saw at Bed, Bath and Beyond for like $65.

Lots of tables TT..but none like you are looking for. In fact most of them were pretty awful. I am actually looking for a sideboard type table ( I don't really know what you call it) for my kitchen...preferably one with drawers or doors underneath for storage. I didn't find anything close but will keep looking.

Kar..it actually felt weird sleeping in. It was after 10 before we got out of the house..and it felt like half the day was over..lol I'm glad you got some extra needed sleep...nothing worse than a migraine..and especially on a day where you have to attend a family party. I have a big family reunion tomorrow. It's been planned for months and I will see people there I haven't seen in probably 15 years. I am looking forward to it..but also not.  I am sure it will be fun once we get there.

Pingo...wow...that's too funny about your "drop-in" breakfast guests. I'm always happy to host people because I love to cook..but the night before is a little last minute for a breakfast visit. I agree with the others. I would have either put our cereal and toast..or asked them to swing by dunkins for their coffee..or..like Kar..I would have explained that I am sorry I'd miss them..but that I had plans. You have to set boundaries with people like that...otherwise they take advantage. I had one friend where it got to the point that she and her family were over my house several nights a week..conveniently at dinner. Thankfully the situation resolved itself before it got more tense because they moved out of state.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you found a little something in your prowls, Miscricket.  Wish my kitchen were big enough to have an extra side or drop leaf table pushed against a wall.  I did see a drop leaf table in one of the stores I googled, but don't ask me which one, I was poking around in quite a few.  Thought it might have been Sears.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Glad you found a little something in your prowls, Miscricket.  Wish my kitchen were big enough to have an extra side or drop leaf table pushed against a wall.  I did see a drop leaf table in one of the stores I googled, but don't ask me which one, I was poking around in quite a few.  Thought it might have been Sears.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Hi TT..thanks. It was $3 well spent and I love knowing that I got a great bargain. I dusted off those wine bottles and put them all in the wine rack when I got home..lol

My kitchen is not huge by any stretch, but it is a decent sized eat in kitchen. Anything would be bigger than the kitchen I had in my apt...which was barely a working kitchen! I really want the storage more than anything else..and a spot to display some pretty bowls..

I will keep my eyes open. I really like old, country style furniture. I am never in a rush for these things. I once took two years to find the exact bookcase I was looking for. I'll know it when I see it..lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good evening, all,

What a great weather day, a relief for all the grad parties and such.

We made it!  And, it was all good.  I stuffed myself on some of the best backyard party food we've ever had, and it was good I wore a belt that holds by friction so can just demurely slide to a larger girth, not holes and pin, hahaha.

miscricket - a $3 wine rack, how nice!  Did you find and stop at a lot of sales?  

It's very unusual for me to sleep in, too.  We get up at 6am every day, weekends included, but today I was in trouble given the night we had so DH and Gracie held down the fort until 8.  That fixed me.  Good man.

Time for a nice, cold beer.  They had beer that a beer snob such as myself wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, LOL, but I didn't complain. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Kar, we only went to visit so it's not too disruptive.  DS  did get to go with me on new years eve because his sitter had the flu but barely anyone works that week.

I had 8 weeks disability leave then 2 weeks vacation. I get to work 2 weeks from home because it gives me time to catch up before I'm inundated by sales and marketing. I'm hoping they let me work 2 days from home permanently, but for now I can do it until the fall. Otherwise I will keep looking for something closer to home. 

I would love to stay home with the kids but we need both incomes,  like most people these days.  

We spent most of the day at my in-laws throwing rocks in the pond and playing in the woods while DH help my FIL on the bogs. They just went home after Saturday night beer. DS is watching his show before bed and I'm hoping DD will settle down early, so I can get to work making a new diaper bag before she starts daycare at the end of the month. 

Happy Saturday! ~saw

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good Sunday morning, everyone!

Wow, what a gorgeous one it is...the sun is shining so brightly, and how GREEN everything is for all the rain we had!  

DH is about to take Gracie for a short woodsy walk then will return to plant more of the greenhouse residents into their permanent home.   In the meantime, Gracie is crying for attention and driving us bananas.

I'm relieved the party went without incident.  I stressed all week about it; can't help it for how terrible things can go.  Apparently, the problem child had a big blow up with others earlier in the day so he got it out of his system before we got there and he was on his post-blow up best behavior.  Yay for me.

SAW, I hope you can work things out with your job that your home and work life balance is satisfying all the way around.  Sounds like your job is pretty willing to work with you on that; that's great.

Anything fun going on with you guys today?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good morning everyone :-) Nice to see the sun and it's really quite nice out there.

Kar..we wound up going to 3 yard/moving sales and one indoor yard sale at a local Asian church. The indoor yard sale was a bust. It was actually more like a rummage sale..99 percent clothes. Really..only the first yard sale we went to had anything decent. That's the one I got the wine rack at. Hubbie saw an occasional table that he really liked ( it was hideous!!!) but I convinced him that it wouldn't go with anything in our house. ( wouldn't go with anything in anyone's house I would guess..lol)

I think there would have been many more if the weather had been sunny...but it was fun anyhow. After that we went shopping at Kohl's in NH since I had a few coupons I wanted to use.

Today we have the big family reunion so that should be interesting and fun.

Saw...it would be great if your employer would allow you to keep working from home a couple of days a week on a more permanent basis. That makes a huge difference in child care costs too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your yard saling story takes me back, miscricket, so nice.  Glad you didn't come home with that hideous table, lol.

Reunions always bring mixed feelings, but like you say, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and make some great reconnections.  And, the weather couldn't be better!  Have fun!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Today is our grad's party, and I just finished traying the whoopie pies and decorating the tray with those squiggly green and white ribbons.  Last night I cut up all the chicken into bite size pieces, ready to put the casserole together this morning and get in the oven around quarter to 12.  We've lucked out with a beautiful day.  Found another top I've never worn hanging in the closet, so I'm all set to bedazzle!  lol

Glad to hear your party went well, Kargiver.

Miscricket, I'm sure your family reunion today will be great.  Fun to catch up with people you haven't actually seen face to face in a while.  At least, I think it must be, we actually have no family save ourselves and what we produce!  At the birthday party I gave myself there were 19 of us tho, so I guess we're doing OK.  lol

Haven't heard so from my Newton son or fam, but have a feeling they will drop in here first and then go on to the cook-out.  Took out the remaining blueberry muffins, just in case.  They always get out of their house minus breakfast - think it's because they're usually slow/late getting around.  If their grandkids come with them, blueberry muffins won't do it, they'll be peeling back the saran wrap on the whoopie pies!  And, I'll let them, that's what Nana's houses are for.

Should get as much done as I can now, which is putting my face on.  Will save changing into dress up (as dressed up as you get at a cookout) til the last.   I'm a known spiller on myself, so I'll work accordingly.  Hope you all have a good day.  Will pop in tonight and check the boards.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, of course, your grad party, tt!  I got it in my head it was all Thursday, but I knew better.  Oh, gosh, I wish I could reach through the ethernet for one little whoopie pie.  Have a great time, tt!!!  What great weather, I'm so pleased for everyone with parties today.

I'm a spiller, too, so if I do get dressed early, I throw on an apron to protect my duds and leave it on until I am about to walk out the door.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Another apron wearer??  I thought I was the last of those dinosaurs!  lol

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

TT and Kar..too funny. I am one for spilling stuff on myself as a cook. I don't love wearing an apron but will do so when I bake. Otherwise..and old t-shirt will suffice.

TT..most of the family I am close to is cousins and one aunt and uncle. Today will be mostly 2nd/3rd/4th cousins who I haven't seen in ages and great aunts that I've seen more recently. I am looking forward to it though. Hubby and son are already asking how long this shindig is going to last..lol..but they know me well enough to know that I usually have about a 2-3 hour limit at these kinds of things..even though they can go on for much longer.

19 people at a birthday party is nothing to slouch at..lol.  Between the two of us we have a lot of friends and associates so sometimes we have to draw the line. Hubby is a district officer in an international service club..so usually the cutoff involves whether or not to invite fellow club members to a party.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon,
    Was watching the French Open Men's Finals w/ DH, while eating mushroom omelets. Someone threw a fire bomb into the spectators, but the guy was quickly apprehended, the fire put out and the game continued as if nothing had happened. What is wrong w/ people these days?
    Re your posts yesterday in regard to our unexpected guests. Yes, I know we are pushovers; it is a very sore subject btw. DH and I. It's a very old friend of DH. He had a difficult life (his own fault IMO), and DH feel sorry for him.
    Kar, I was not the one picking up the phone. Besides, who has plans at 8 in the morning. Even if we had, these people are so thick skinned, that they would have stopped by anyway. tt, it was not just a, "I don't like cranberry juice. Do you have OJ?" - It was a 7 year old's full fledged tantrum. (I didn't mention, it was DH's friend and his wife, their daughter and her husband and their 3 kids). MC, stopping by at their place for an unexpected visit, is out of the question. I don't want to visit them.
    Anyway it is over for now. DH and I had a big argument after they left. We rarely argue, but I felt better afterwards. Got my frustration out of my mind. We had a very nice afternoon together going to Ikea to stock up. Bought a new floor lamp there as well. And I picked up all my yummy food.
    Kar, glad your party went well w/o any incident. I am sure you must have looked spectacular in your new dress.
    MC have a wonderful reunion and tt enjoy the graduation party. We are leaving shortly for a cook out w/ friends we enjoy.
    Have a great Sunday everyone.

ETA: I am an apron wearer too. Can't cook or do housework w/o it.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, nope, I wear an apron nearly every day and have 3.  I get ribbing from friends about it, but, hey, it protects my clothes so whatever! :)

pingo, ah, I can relate oh so well.  You and I are peas in a pod, and your DH and mine are peas in a different pod, LOL.  We, too, had a huge and similar argument that we both felt was productive in the end.   We both felt heard and I believe things have changed for the better for it.  We're not ones to argue, generally, either, but sometimes it works.

mc and tt, hope you are both having a blast at your gatherings.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I wear an apron almost every day....What a week I had last week...175 lbs of frosting....

Icer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, that sounds like a whole lot of frosting - business must be great, Icer.  What is your average poundage?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I wear aprons when I do dishes, and at parties I give.  The rest of the time - if I'm home doing housework or cooking I am wearing pjs or sweats/tshirts....I have some of my own - heavyweight with bibs, holiday aprons that match my Christmas china, plus some of my Mom's 'vintage' 50s style aprons.  I'd been contemplating turning one into a curtain for my door; it's just the right color and pattern.  But I'd have to cut it in half...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good evening ladies. Hope everyone is had a nice day. My family reunion was a great time. I always have fun with my core group of cousins and seeing some of the extended cousins and aunts was really nice.

The reunion was essentially a gathering of all the family members of my grandmother ( deceased) and her 4 sisters (one deceased). This meant that three great aunts were there..including one great aunt from California who I haven't seen since I was a small child. It was quite the treat for me because my grandmother and her other sisters have always said how much like this particular great aunt I am personality wise. Also...all the sisters who were there were in agreement that I was still the spitting image of my grandmother. I liked having this connection to her.

Hubbie and son both met a lot of new faces today and spent the ride home trying to clarify who was who and how everyone was related..lol
     Still..it was very nice. Five generations of family...! All in all..a very nice day..even in spite of a couple of crazy relatives..lol

Pingo..at least you got the chance to vent your frustration..but it really sounds like a tricky situation.  I don't live anywhere remotely close to Ikea. I suppose this is a good thing. They have some pretty cool looking stuff there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello.  Posted a  long post which disappeared - probably just as well, as I was venting about a friend of my DIL's who at all gatherings brings an overkill of dessert platters.  Aggravates the h*ll out of me.  I find it insulting, as tho she thinks if she doesn't bring all the desserts no one else will contribute anything of any value.  Today, she brought not 2, but 3 platters of whoopie pies, plus 4 other overflowing platters of cookies.  If these affairs were mine, I would have clued her in long ago that if she wanted to bring something, 2 platters would be plenty.

Another interesting episode was when I was standing by pumpkin, trying to put his shoe back on that had fallen off in the grass, lost my balance, and I tipped over into the grass.  Upon which time, the dog thinking I was playing with him, jumped on me!  I'm calling, "Would someone get the dog off me, I can't get up," and they all thought I was joking around.  LOL  What a sight.  It took a couple of them finally to come over and after they got the dog off, lift me upright by my elbows.  Would have made a good family movie.

Did have a nice afternoon.  It was comfortable in the yard in the shade, and it was a congenial group.  We have one more family gathering this summer, and that's the end of the month at pumpkin's house, a gathering to welcome his baby brother who will arrive next month.  In the meantime, I'll be looking around for some balance exercise classes!

Glad you had a good time, Miscricket.  Any overachievers at your group?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Hello.  Posted a  long post which disappeared - probably just as well, as I was venting about a friend of my DIL's who at all gatherings brings an overkill of dessert platters.  Aggravates the h*ll out of me.  I find it insulting, as tho she thinks if she doesn't bring all the desserts no one else will contribute anything of any value.  Today, she brought not 2, but 3 platters of whoopie pies, plus 4 other overflowing platters of cookies.  If these affairs were mine, I would have clued her in long ago that if she wanted to bring something, 2 platters would be plenty.

Another interesting episode was when I was standing by pumpkin, trying to put his shoe back on that had fallen off in the grass, lost my balance, and I tipped over into the grass.  Upon which time, the dog thinking I was playing with him, jumped on me!  I'm calling, "Would someone get the dog off me, I can't get up," and they all thought I was joking around.  LOL  What a sight.  It took a couple of them finally to come over and after they got the dog off, lift me upright by my elbows.  Would have made a good family movie.

Did have a nice afternoon.  It was comfortable in the yard in the shade, and it was a congenial group.  We have one more family gathering this summer, and that's the end of the month at pumpkin's house, a gathering to welcome his baby brother who will arrive next month.  In the meantime, I'll be looking around for some balance exercise classes!

Glad you had a good time, Miscricket.  Any overachievers at your group?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Oh..TT...that's awful and funny at the same time  :-) Your tumble sounds exactly like something that would happen to me..so I sympathize. Grace is decidedly not my middle name.

Since you asked..I have one annoying cousin who has to always be the center of attention. Added to that she is loud and like to monopolize my time at any and all family functions. She seems to be convinced that she and I are kindred spirits..but we are nothing alike..lol So..that was a little tedious but I have gotten better at dealing with her and passing her off onto unsuspecting family members..lol

Actually..I was the opposite of your over achieving friend of DIL.  I had a feeling that there would be an abundance of baked goods and chips etc for dessert so I opted to bring fresh fruit with chocolate dip and a yogurt dip. 

Your DIL's friend sounds rude. There is no need to bring so much food unless you are just trying to draw attention to yourself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You know, my DIL and  her family all think this person is just so thoughtful and wonderful to do all that baking and bring it, so I don't know why it bothers me and my kids so much.  It's just too much, you know?  Of course today what irked me was that she brought not 2, but 3 trays of whoopie pies when I'm sure my DIL must have told her I was making some.  If she shows up at  pumpkin's gathering with half moons - - watch out!

P.S.  Meant to add that I think your choice of dessert was perfect.  I had thought of a watermelon filled with fresh fruits, but figured this friend would come with a watermelon carved out like a graduation hat and overflowing with exotic hand picked fruits!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

TT..funny you should mention it..but I think that's what bothers me most about DIL's friend. It would be hard to believe your DIL didn't mention that you were bringing whoopie pies...and then she shows up with them too? That's why I made the remark that she was trying to draw attention to herself.  I am sure your whoopie pies tasted better!

Oh boy...if she brings half moons to the next gathering that's not going to be good. 

I can imagine she is the type to show up with an artistically carved watermelon...lol

At least it turned out you had a fun day anyhow. The weather certainly could not have been better.

Well..tomorrow starts another week. I am signing off and taking a nice warm bath before bed. My day starts at 4:45 tomorrow and I fear that going to come way too quick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I hope you don't suffer any aches and pains from your fall!  Sometimes we don't feel them  until afterwards.  Falling and having a dog jump on one sounds like a nightmare to me.  The whoopie pie incident sounds as if she was indeed trying to compete with you.  Sorry all these things had to happen on such a celebratory day.

Miscricket you are probably up now; I've been awake since 2 and thinking of trying to catch a couple of hours of sleep before it's time to start the day for real.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone.  Sounds like a busy weekend for most of you with lots of family visits!  TT - glad you didn 't get injured with your little tumble.

Mom did great with her procedure on Friday (thanks for asking).  I was able to take her home from the hsp on Sat and get her all settled in.  She was still pretty tired and sore, but thinks that the operation was a success!  Now, we just have to be so careful that she doesn't injure any more vertabrae because they said this was probably the last time they could do the procedure (as she has had compression fractures in every vertebrae)!

Nothing too exciting at our house this weekend, but that's okay.  DH and I got to spend a lot of time together which is always nice.  We have both been working so much we barely saw each other during the week.

Have a great day everyone!

Sections
Shortcuts