June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: June 2013

Good morning,
    Cold here too, Kar. I don't envy you for going b-day gift shopping for 3 babies. One is plenty for me. When I am totally out of ideas, I usually go to the "learning department". Of course, there is always clothing, and I am sure a mom w/ triplets will need lots of it. Another option is a stock certificate. Our boys got some Disney Stock Certificates at birth. They are quite valuable today. Hope you have your luck w/ you today.
    tt, I meant to mention to you, that my mother taught me to pr!ck hot dogs all over and simmer them for 5 - 7 minutes. That will get rid of lots of the salt and fat. I do that, even when I stick them on the grill or fry them up. 
    November, thanks for your suggestions re the roof. We changed the 30 year old roof, b/c we had a leak somewhere else, but not at the place it is coming in after we got the new roof. Too far apart for the same leak. It is a flat roof w/ a supposedly water tight membrane. I am confident, we will get to the end of it, but it is annoying, when you pay so much money for something, that is not working perfectly.
    Nothing exciting going on here today. Ready to go to work. What are everyone doing for Father's Day? Don't have the faintest idea, what we will be doing. I suggested DH, I would cook him up a couple of lobsters, but his answer was not overly excited.
    Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great ideas, thanks, Pingo.

Interesting; we were taught to prickk the hotdogs so they don't explode.  I hope it gets rid of some fat and salt, too!

We are sending cards and GCs for Father's Day, and my in-laws are going to be here a couple of days mid-week next week so maybe we'll do something then for FIL.  No big plans as none of the 3 dads we share live nearby.

Not gone yet because the stores don't open 'til 10...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Planned on running out, but it's getting very grey, rainy looking here.  Haven't caught any weather forecast this morning, so I was fooled by the sun earlier, I guess.

Still have the gifts I picked up in Rockport for youngest son's kids.  Called him again this morning to see when someone would be home so I could drop them off.  He suggested I call again after school this afternoon and see if anyone's around.

Stayed in yesterday afternoon, anticipating a return call from roofer.  Will call again end of today if I don't hear from him. 

Good gift hunting, Kargiver.  Kind of fun, but only if you have some idea what to look for when you get into the store.  I think I'd maybe put a call into the Mom to see if there's anything particular she needs or would like for them.

I just want to get out for some "no list" poking.  One of my father's day cards I bought I'm not really satisfied with too, so will be on the lookout for a more appropriate one.  Will try to put CVS on my route, Novem was it you who suggested there ?

Going to try to catch the 9:00 weather.  Chat later.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

good morning everyone. tt, I was really hoping that you didn't have a leak, but maybe they hadn't painted it yet. Hope it gets taken care of soon. Pingo, I hope your bulidings leak is also fixed.

Kar, I know they are too young now, but the could use it with mom and older sister. http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Water-Center/dp/B001PGTNK6/ref=sr_1_7?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1371042844&sr=1-7&keywords=child+water+table

Or this. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-I-Can-Play-Basketball/dp/B001NLISDG/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1371043005&sr=1-4&keywords=child+basketball+hoop

A joint gift may be a good idea, since the three of them could use it.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Kar, I would certainly give a joint gift.  They are too young to know the difference.  Save the "3" gifts for when they are older and each want something to have and call their own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I need to butt in here. My sister has twins, and one of the things, they hated the most growing up being twins, were joint gifts.
    I agree, it may not matter to a one year old, but later - please don't do it.
    Even though you pay three times as much for one gift, they can share - it doesn't matter to young ones. They have no idea of value and always feel shortcut. It is difficult to explain to a young child, that this gift is for both/all of you. All they know is, that they didn't have a gift to unwrap, they could call their own.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Kar, you've probably already gone out shopping already but in case you are unsuccessful, you could buy the trips each a monogrammed bags (either tote or backpack style) from LL Bean or some such store.  They will need to have bags when they start school for extra clothes etc. and even this summer it may be helpful to have for when (if!) they go to the beach, on vacation etc.   I have one for my older DD that we use all of the time, and planning to get my younger DD one for her first birthday.  Just a thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

See I'm against the monogram bags for kids, then strangers can know their initials. I think a joint gift for one years olds is perfectly acceptable. They can barely enen open the gifts on their own.

- Darth Vadar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar, I thought you were getting the Mom a gift?  Different friends? 

I hope someone gets DD the totebag...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am with you Winter. No monograms or names on the bags. But maybe different colors.

Like I said earlier, for a one year old, giving a gift to share may not matter. But if one does it once, it is as easy to do it the next time around. I just wanted people to see it from the siblings and their parents' perspective. I know my nieces were gracefully accepting any shared gifts, they received, but they were not pleased. Neither was my sister btw.

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

See I'm against the monogram bags for kids, then strangers can know their initials. I think a joint gift for one years olds is perfectly acceptable. They can barely enen open the gifts on their own.

- Darth Vadar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I totally hear your concerns Winter (and Pingo) regarding the monogrammed bag. I'm not sure how I would feel allowing my DD to go to school or somewhere on her own with a bag that says her name or even her initials.  However, for a preschool-aged child or younger toddler/baby, I don't think it's a concern because these are little kids who are never going to be anywhere unaccompanied by an adult and, frankly, aren't even going to be carrying the bag by themselves.  For any family with more than one kid, having a bag for each child helps with organizing all the "stuff" they need on a daily basis.  We pack up DD's bag for her trips to grandma's house, long car rides etc.   She's at the age where she is starting to recognize letters and she absolutely loves being able to identify which bag is hers.  (She also has a little pottery barn chair with her name on it in the living room and loves that too).  So I guess I am pro-initials/name monogram for young kids because I think the benefits outweigh the risks considering the circumstances of when the bags are used and the limited number of people who would see them.  Talk to me in a few more years when DD is walking to school on her own, and I may have a different opinion!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

At school age, when they all have/want the same things in the same colors, monograms are helpful; putting their initials or name inside everything is even better!!!  The lost and found bins at school are overflowing with nice things, not marked....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for all the help with the gifts!  I appreciate everyone's weighing in and helping me make a good first birthday decision.

Happily, I got a chance to read your input before buying - I came home with nothing because I had a bad breakfast, got pi$$y and came home.  PMS, LOL.

Having a better lunch of my own making of a simple apple, mixed nuts, yogurt, and strawberry beer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats most schools are telling parents no clothing or monograms on the outside for safety reasons. Inside the clothing is ok. When they go on field trips now kids do not have names on stickers like we used to have. I know what it's like looking through a lost and found for gym shorts when everyone in the school wears shorts that look the same. My son's initials are on the inside of his things.

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I can only speak of what I know from my DIL's.  They never wanted anything with the child's name on it, even the first name, fearing someone would call out to the child  - "Johnny", take their hand and walk off with them., saying they were bringing them to their mom or dad.   I think it's a very good point.  There are so many other choices that can be made for gifts.  At one year old, I still would lean towards asking the parents if there is anything they would prefer, before getting to the age (another year) when the kids are old enough to want toys.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt,that's why schools don't put nametags on the kids now for field trips, etc.

So, DS got his summer reading list. I thought I'd share. He has to read one of two of these Historical Fiction books. Either Johhny Tremain (which I hated) or My Brother Sam is Dead. Both books have to do with the American Revolution.

One of the following: Skelling, The Library Card, The Westing Game, The Giver, or Heat. They will have a test on each book they chose the first week of school

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

At least he has the summer, altho if he's like my Gkids, he'll procrastinate as long as he can.

No delivering of the Rockport gifts today, had a call back from the company saying the roofer would stop by on his way home from work today, around 4:00.  Don't want to take a chance of missing him.

I need a cuppa and a piece of a cream cheese coffee cake I picked up - day old stuff.  Shopped with my menu for the week (well most of the week) and the items I needed to finish off each planned meal, circled.  Picked up a couple of pieces of fresh haddock, it looked very good  May have one piece for supper tonight,  with frozen fr fries and peas or spinach, and freeze the second piece.  Want to get the fish rewrapped anyway to get the fish papers out with the trash tomorrow.

Washer is winding down, so will throw that in the dryer and then have that cup of tea.

Winter, what did your son get for a grade on the poster?  Did you see the others?  What ideas did the kids come up with, and what did your son use on it?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Here is the science fair project.

Here is the poster. He used Black to represent the prison door. The picture is the boy's eye peeking out. The clouds are newspaper quotes.      Don't know his grade yet; he just presented today. He had to wear dress pants, shirt and tie. The rest of the class is going tomorrow. Believe he has his last test tomorrow as well, in GUM, which is Grammar, usage and mechanics.   

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sorry the text seems to be messed up and the poster picture looks like a fun house mirror!

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wow.  Those are both such professional looking presentations, Winter.  Good for him.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks. The science fair had to be typed. For the poster I have a machine that does the letter (book title) that I bought years ago when I thought I would scrapbook! The rest he printed off the computer.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Don't worry, Winter. They both give us a good idea of the projects.Quite impressive. Thanks for sharing w/ us.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Roofer just stopped by, will be here at 7:30 tomorrow and take the siding off the dormer to see what's going on underneath.

Just put my fish and some fr frs in the oven, cooking the peas now.  A nice beer or perhaps a glass of pinot grecio, and maybe a little salad to go with.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, how about savings bonds for the triplets?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, very mature projects for his grade - you must be so proud!!  And with his having adhd, even moreso.

Tt, best wishes re your roof tomorrow; hope he finds an obvious problem and fixes it pronto.  We're expecting so much more rain! 

Thanks, again, for all the great ideas!  I'll let you know what we go with.  Still not sure yet.

Sections
Shortcuts